Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

What do you guys wear when it's cold?

Tyk

Well its getting to be time to start layering up around these parts! We had frost delays both days this weekend with overnight temps in the low 30's, then daytime highs around 50. Curious how you guys deal with this season, its always a challenge to get comfort right and not have to carry too much extra.

So I tee off with 3-4 layers, stocking caps, handwarmers and mittens and finish off with 1 layer, maybe a light windbreaker. I'm pretty much good to go with anything as long as I can keep my hands warm and dry. I've got that all figured out though, I put handwarmers in my pants pockets which help keep my core warm and hands warm when I'm standing around, and I put a set of handwarmers in my ClicGear mittens http://clicgear.com/accessories-mitt.html (a must have for any pushcart owner!).

I'm all set up top, I've got great longsleeve layers, I usually start with a shortsleeve performance wicking shirt, then go with a longsleeve of similar fabric, then a warm longsleeve layer that's a bit thicker and then either a windbreak vest or light longsleeve shell over that. This sounds like alot but it actually isn't and doesn't interfere with my swing much at all. With this combo I can mix things up to stay pretty much perfect.

What I hate is the bottoms. I'd like to be able to layer them like I do up top but it really isn't quite as easy. First dealing with pants layers is a bigger pain that dealing with tops. The base layers for pants (like the microfiber tights/longjohn type stuff) are good when it's really cold, but as it warms up they can get too warm, and there's no way to ditch them easily on the course, this puts one at risk of the deadly "swamp ass" on the back nine! What I'd really like is something like a lightweight fleece or insulated vented shell pant. Waterproof isn't necessary, water resistant would be nice but I have good rain pants (which I wear sometimes just as pants). I want something light but warm, with the ability to open some vents in the legs to cool off as it warms up.

It seems that "golf pants" from most companies are either casual golf pants, usually very lightweight or there are "rain pants" that are nice but also aren't very warm and don't breathe very well, they're more a shell type outer layer so you either have to go with the golf pants underneath or some kind of fleece layer. If you go with the golf pants they aren't warm enough if you want to shed a layer, if you go with fleece they won't give you wind protection and plus look like sweatpants if you want to shed a layer. I'm not super fashion conscious, and when it's cold anything goes in my book; but sweatpants on the course isn't the look I'm after really.

So I've been looking at other sports figuring there has to be something somewhere. Running clothes seems to hold some promise, although these clothes are usually a more athletic if not downright tight fit. Maybe hunting or camping outdoor gear or perhaps even mountain sports like skiing would have figured this out?

Any suggestions?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I know what you mean. We drove to the course, everything was white, had to wait 1 hour, killed time at the driving range, still covered in frost and snow, drive home.

IF and only IF I have to play in winter, I usually use ski outfits.

Bottom:

Thermal underwear

Ski pants that are water proof and have a inner lining of fluffy stuff (keeps me warm enough).

Top:

Thermal underwear

Long sleeve cotton shirt

Ski pullover (silky on the outside, fluffy on the inside)

Ultra light wind breaker

I keep my right hand in my pocket and push the cart with my left hand (with gloves on). Although I'm seriously considering winter gloves (not mittens).

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Helly hansen base layer with Misty Mountain rain shell over top. I'm cold for the first hole/KM when I'm running, after that, I find it to be the ideal temp.

Usually then a adidas Climacool long sleeve shirt. If it's raining, I add a rain shell over that. If it's quite cold, I'll wear a thin T shirt under that.

All that being said, I find I warm up and stay warm really quickly when doing activites. I have more of a problem in the summer then the fall/winter. And, it's pretty mild up here and we can quickly escape to pockets of nicer area's (Go from Vancouver to Port Roberts for example takes 40 odd minutes, but the golf course there always escapes the worst of the rain and snow).

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I wear a normal golf shirt, add the Nike "Sleeves" and a pair of shorts.....I live in Tampa Bay!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I go with more a windbreaker sweater (has a nylon liner on the inside) and for me thats about it. I was born and raised in Wisconsin, so for me 50 degrees in October/November is a pretty mild day.

If that temps are in the 30s, I may break out the beanie (Ive got several Mizuno beanies that I used to wear when I went to the range during the winter months at Vitense Golfland in Madison, WI) and the winter golf gloves.

Obviously, growing up in the upper midwest Im certainly more immune and more used to the cold than some of the rest of you are but for me its really all mental. If you dont want to be cold, just dont be cold. Mind over matter. Go about your business and dont think about the weather. If you think, "Im cold" it will be all you think about and all you will focus on is your suffering. If you go into it thinking, "Yup, its a little chilly but thats OK, Im still going to have fun and play my best" you are focusing on your game, not the cold and the weather wont effect you.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Thicker pants, one pair of long sleeves (usually Under Armour or another compression type fit) and put the cart cover and heater on if it's below 40.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wool tartan golf pants with Under Armor heat Gear under it, great fit, you don't feel like that kid in the Christmas Story who falls and can't get up.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Thicker pants, one pair of long sleeves (usually Under Armour or another compression type fit) and put the cart cover and heater on if it's below 40.

Pretty much the same here. Underarmour cold gear base layer up top and then base the next layer on temp. It's been low 40's here lately so I've been wearing a slightly thicker fleece lined pull over. If it's really windy I'll add either a short sleeve or long sleeve rain jacket.

For pants I have 3 different pairs of "wind pants" that are each a bit warmer than the last. First pair is a thinner barely lined pair from Target. I think they are Champion. Next is a pair I got in college that has a lining, but it's still the nylon wind pant material. Really warm pair has a fleece lining under the wind pants. If it's really cold I'll throw my rain pants on over them.

The real savior for me in cold weather is the cart cover and sunflower heater. As long as it's toasty in the cart I don't need a bunch of layers to jump out and hit my shot.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Under Armour base layer bottoms and top(Love UnderArmour). Usually either my nike rain pants or North face nylon pants. Typically just a tshirt and a fleece or wind jacket. Always a beanie to cover my near shaved head. Best winter gloves I ever found were Wilsons at WalMart for $5. Just enough warmth and flexibility. The Footjoys are generally to thick to get a good feel in my own opinion but I sometimes wear them.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Archived