Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

The Great 2 Iron Debate.

RoverRick

29 members have voted

1. 1. In a casual conversation would you call an 18* FLI Hi's. 712u, or X utility Protos a

• 2 iron.
    • driving iron.
    • hybrid.

"A driving iron, by any other name, would smack as sweet...."

- R. Shakespeare, 12 handicap

I'd be curious to find out how many manufacturers out there are still actually making/selling 2 irons as part of their sets, or making them available as options.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A driving iron, by any other name, would smack as sweet...."

- R. Shakespeare, 12 handicap

I'd be curious to find out how many manufacturers out there are still actually making/selling 2 irons as part of their sets, or making them available as options.

From the major OEMs here is who i found that still offers a 2iron:

Callaway in the Razr X Muscleback

Cleveland in the 588 Forged CB

Cobra in the Amp Cell Pro

Nike in the VR Pro Blades and in the Pro combo

Ping in the S56

Titleist in the 712 CB

Wilson in the FG62

So i guess there are still a few options out there for those who want a 2 iron

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

From the major OEMs here is who i found that still offers a 2iron:

Callaway in the Razr X Muscleback

Cleveland in the 588 Forged CB

Cobra in the Amp Cell Pro

Nike in the VR Pro Blades and in the Pro combo

Ping in the S56

Titleist in the 712 CB

Wilson in the FG62

So i guess there are still a few options out there for those who want a 2 iron

I also found Taylormade MB, Callaway X Forged, and Callaway RAZR X Forged.

Look, I'm not sayin that I'm right. Hell, Rick's the one that ran off and threw this thread up, LMAO, as though, if say the voting was reversed he could say, "see, it's a 2i." HaHa, There is no right or wrong here. Like Shambles and a few others said, call I whatever ya want. It's your club, you paid for it and it's your right, lol. It's just me. I'm not tryin to convert the band here. It's just me :)

Nope, I really do not care how the poll comes out. It would not be the first time that I was right and in the minority.

I am actually surprised at the whole idea that it is in some way "deceitful" to call an 18* iron like/shaped club "a 2 iron", just because it has more technology, is more advanced, and is somewhat easier to hit than the clubs of the same name and loft in years past. But I assure you, it is still not the easiest club in the bag to hit. I find it fascinating that people who are perfectly willing to accept the fact that all clubs have evolved over time, even embrace the technology at other times, yet refuse to accept the fact that an 18* iron is a "2 iron" simply because it is not the blade that they grew up with or that they could not hit.

It is as if some special, almost sacred,or cherished meaning has been awarded to the term "2 Iron" and no one should call a 2 iron "a 2 iron" unless it is the same technology, or lack there of, that has been around for 50 years.

When I started the poll it was not to prove me right or you wrong, it was to see how wide spread this belief is.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Ya know..... I'm damned near 54 years old. I started playing about 14 year ago. I have taken the 3I out of my bag. I can hit it, but not consistently enough. Hell.... I can barely hit my 4I consistently. I can't imagine how hard a 2I is to hit. I'll just stick to my 5W. ;)

Nope, I really do not care how the poll comes out. It would not be the first time that I was right and in the minority.

I am actually surprised at the whole idea that it is in some way "deceitful" to call an 18* iron like/shaped club "a 2 iron", just because it has more technology, is more advanced, and is somewhat easier to hit than the clubs of the same name and loft in years past. But I assure you, it is still not the easiest club in the bag to hit. I find it fascinating that people who are perfectly willing to accept the fact that all clubs have evolved over time, even embrace the technology at other times, yet refuse to accept the fact that an 18* iron is a "2 iron" simply because it is not the blade that they grew up with or that they could not hit.

It is as if some special, almost sacred,or cherished meaning has been awarded to the term "2 Iron" and no one should call a 2 iron "a 2 iron" unless it is the same technology, or lack there of, that has been around for 50 years.

When I started the poll it was not to prove me right or you wrong, it was to see how wide spread this belief is.

The Cobra Amp Cell irons have a 3i available. The loft is 18.5°. Is that a 2i then too?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Cuz see, the other thing, and I'm goin back to the 70's, back when I was a teen-ager, lol, and that is that you would judge your swing by two clubs in the bag:

Well then, you must be as old as me then hehe. Celebrex and heart meds... :rolleyes:

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

"I am actually surprised at the whole idea that it is in some way "deceitful" to call an 18* iron like/shaped club "a 2 iron", just because it has more technology, is more advanced, and is somewhat easier to hit than the clubs of the same name and loft in years past."

I don't want you to think I'm making an accusation here. I think, as someone mentioned, it's partly a generational thing. When I hear "2 iron", I think of a blade or a CB. I agree, the FliHi isn't particularly easy to hit, and as I said, I hit my CB 3 iron (and 2 iron) more consistently.

The issue is that the clubs are different precisely because the characteristics of the ball flight are different. A long approach with a CB 2 iron is a different shot than a new-technology 2 iron. Calling new-technology 2 iron a 2 iron is fine, but to describe a shot made with it as a 2 iron shot very likely could use some clarification so the listener gets the right idea.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

"I am actually surprised at the whole idea that it is in some way "deceitful" to call an 18* iron like/shaped club "a 2 iron", just because it has more technology, is more advanced, and is somewhat easier to hit than the clubs of the same name and loft in years past."

I don't want you to think I'm making an accusation here. I think, as someone mentioned, it's partly a generational thing. When I hear "2 iron", I think of a blade or a CB. I agree, the FliHi isn't particularly easy to hit, and as I said, I hit my CB 3 iron (and 2 iron) more consistently.

The issue is that the clubs are different precisely because the characteristics of the ball flight are different. A long approach with a CB 2 iron is a different shot than a new-technology 2 iron. Calling new-technology 2 iron a 2 iron is fine, but to describe a shot made with it as a 2 iron shot very likely could use some clarification so the listener gets the right idea.

Just for the record, when the two iron comment was made, I was telling that on one particular hole that for some reason I can not hit the ball straight and end up in the trees 200 yards out, "I decided to hit 2 iron off the tee box and was left with an 8 iron to the center of the green. And on the hole that I normally struggle and bogey, I had a 12' birdie putt." and the reply was "You carry a 2 iron?" I said, well it is a MP FLI HI 2 iron. That started the debate.

"You carry a 2 iron?" I said, well it is a MP FLI HI 2 iron. That started the debate.

The fact that you felt the need to clarify pretty much sums up the answer.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I hate to throw another monkey into the wrench of what remains an interesting discussion to follow but what does one do with the fact that today's 4 iron (if indeed it's a 4 iron) is very much yesterday's 3 iron or even 2 iron? Heck often times the 3 iron that a touring pro carries is identical to the 1 iron of yesteryear in regards to loft and shaft length.

Does that mean we correct a young player when he comes in and says, I hit a 3 iron 225 on that par 5 and was pin high left? Do we say, "Well son in my day that was a 1 iron? And I could hit a 1 iron 225."

I guess it's not a big deal to me if RR or anyone else wants to say they hit 2 iron when it was a Fli-hi - I'd probably ask the same question as his friend if I weren't with him. If I were with him watching I'd know that it was a Fli-hi. But really is it all that important. More important is making the shot I think. I also think that Richard is onto something - it's not just swing speed but also angle of attack. Some guy's swings launch the ball higher than others plain and simple.

For the record I hit 5 wood, wedge on number 10 yesterday - 5 wood subs in for my olden day 2 iron which I subbed for a 5 wood (real wood)then an 18 degree hybrid (Adams Idea Pro) and now is back to a 5 wood (metal wood). For 15 years all of those clubs have gone around 200 yards.

There was a time when I hit my 2 iron 225 and my first 5 wood (wooden) 225 also.

Are we straight with all of that now? B)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm surprised noone has brought back the 1 iron with so much new technology

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I, along with a lot of my older friends like me, have switched from the days when we used to play 1iron, 2iron, 3iron, etc. The highest true iron in my bag these days is a 6iron. One of my buddies in particular calls his 3hybrid, 4hybrid his 3iron or 4iron. I have the HI FLI club and it occasionaly is in my bag still. I have always referred to it as my 2hybrid. The TM Rocketballz hybrids I carry mostly, I refer to them as 4Hybrid, 5Hybrid unlike my buddy.

I do agree that the FLI HI is much more like an iron than than the traditional hybrids. For a while, I played 3 FLI HI Hybrids. Gave them up for the most part because of the rough where I play is pretty thick and deep.

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

I hate to throw another monkey into the wrench of what remains an interesting discussion to follow but what does one do with the fact that today's 4 iron (if indeed it's a 4 iron) is very much yesterday's 3 iron or even 2 iron? Heck often times the 3 iron that a touring pro carries is identical to the 1 iron of yesteryear in regards to loft and shaft length.

Does that mean we correct a young player when he comes in and says, I hit a 3 iron 225 on that par 5 and was pin high left? Do we say, "Well son in my day that was a 1 iron? And I could hit a 1 iron 225."

I guess it's not a big deal to me if RR or anyone else wants to say they hit 2 iron when it was a Fli-hi - I'd probably ask the same question as his friend if I weren't with him. If I were with him watching I'd know that it was a Fli-hi. But really is it all that important. More important is making the shot I think. I also think that Richard is onto something - it's not just swing speed but also angle of attack. Some guy's swings launch the ball higher than others plain and simple.

For the record I hit 5 wood, wedge on number 10 yesterday - 5 wood subs in for my olden day 2 iron which I subbed for a 5 wood (real wood)then an 18 degree hybrid (Adams Idea Pro) and now is back to a 5 wood (metal wood). For 15 years all of those clubs have gone around 200 yards.

There was a time when I hit my 2 iron 225 and my first 5 wood (wooden) 225 also.

Are we straight with all of that now? B)

Like the quote "in my day son that was a 1 iron" Very true shows what old farts we really are and how long we have been playing. I had always heard "the clubs did not go as far with hickory shafts and the balata balls hit better" Guess we are getting older. Yeah back when a wood was a real wood from a tree. Back when a smoke was a smoke and grooving was grooving and a coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be. Oh well!!!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

No Dude, only on a golf forum with an idiot like me as a member does this thread even come into being, LMAO

Ah well, it's passin the time ;-)

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens 4ever

No just shows how old us farts ( you ,Rev,Rick and myself) really are. ROTFLMAO!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

No just shows how old us farts ( you ,Rev,Rick and myself) really are. ROTFLMAO!

Speak for yourself about being old. I tried out for a college golf scholarship yesterday. Well, actually, I ended up playing with a 19 year old and an 18 year old that had coaches from a college in the carts with them making notes and evaluating them for a scholarship. One guy they were going to increase as he is a sophomore and they were evaluating the other as a freshman. I shot 3 under par and would have gotten a scholarship, but since I already have a degree I am not eligible. I am also not going back to school so that was a big issue, but age was not the problem.:lol:

2irons-96.jpg

I took this from the newsletter. Just to make sure I understand, I can not call this a two iron unless it came with a set, perhaps with the board and a can of starch. Otherwise, I have to call it "an anti wrinkling device" or a "steamer"?

Now,if they were made of cast iron and you put them in the fireplace or on the stove to heat them then I could also call them two irons.

2 real irons.jpg

2irons-96.jpg

I took this from the newsletter. Just to make sure I understand, I can not call this a two iron unless it came with a set, perhaps with the board and a can of starch. Otherwise, I have to call it "an anti wrinkling device" or a "steamer"?

Now,if they were made of cast iron and you put them in the fireplace or on the stove to heat them then I could also call them two irons.

2 real irons.jpg

Well played!

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Speak for yourself about being old. I tried out for a college golf scholarship yesterday. Well, actually, I ended up playing with a 19 year old and an 18 year old that had coaches from a college in the carts with them making notes and evaluating them for a scholarship. One guy they were going to increase as he is a sophomore and they were evaluating the other as a freshman. I shot 3 under par and would have gotten a scholarship, but since I already have a degree I am not eligible. I am also not going back to school so that was a big issue, but age was not the problem.:lol:

Ohh I must be more specific I was talking about RickKimbrell not you Rover. sorry about the confusion

G

Ohh I must be more specific I was talking about RickKimbrell not you Rover. sorry about the confusion

I am 49 so that shoe may not fit but it will probably not rub many blisters.:lol:

For the record. I am a 14 handicapper that uses a 2 hybrid through 6 hybrid. My irons are Wilson Staff FG-51 Tour Blades. I think in the general world of golf if you say 2 iron, people think iron that looks like an iron. When people ask me what I hit 190, I say 4 hybrid. You might want to say 2 Utility because that is what it is.

The old saying, "even God can't hit a 2 iron", so I think that if you can hit it, then I can't be a 2 iron.

These are hybrids, nothing else, every manufacturer makes them nowadays, and these were made to REPLACE the difficult to hit long IRONS, I would have to agree with RP in the arlier post, saying that they would laugh you off the tee for saying you hit a 2 iron, unless you actually pulled a 2 iron

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I am 49 so that shoe may not fit but it will probably not rub many blisters.:lol:

LOL also you are getting there

G

1- and 2 iron blades?

Ben Hogan apex 1 iron 13°

Miura cb 201 2iron 18°

Daily us,

Backup set

Titleist DCI 981 1- iron 17°

Titleist DCI 981 2- iron 19,5°

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those are definetly what I would call "butter Knives"

G

The old saying, "even God can't hit a 2 iron", so I think that if you can hit it, then I can't be a 2 iron.

Actually, Lee Trevino said "even God can't hit a 1 iron". And the 1 iron is a completely different breed of club, I've never seen anyone with one in their bag let alone use one.

Archived