Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

DIY Golf Swing-Understanding Your Golf Swing

Hey Guys,

Like many of you, I am constantly trying to improve.  Like many I'm sure, I have watched videos of different Pros trying to copy their moves.  In my I ain't Tiger thread I chronicle my attempt to change to a swing similar to the Lee Comeaux Swing  that Big Bomber talks about.

There were some things about my physical make up and simply the way I moved that made this not the exact right swing for me.  The thing is that this is the same for everybody.  There are hitters vs swinger, one planers, two planers hybrids, there are lead hand on topper, on bottom, on the side, there are sweepers and diggers, and ..... 

Quite simply, there are so many roads to go down to find your best swing which way should you go?

I spent two weeks trying to figure out my best take away.  I finally decided on what was best for me when this months Golf Magazine came out, and the cover story was by Mike Adams.  The May 2014 cover story is not available on line yet, but there was a similar story in 2012,  The Right Swing for You.

I did not pay enough attention to this story and quite frankly had I done so 2 years ago when this came out, I would not have spent the last two years in vain trying to find my best swing.

Bottom line is that in three pages of the May 2014 Golf Magazine, it gave me a test to determine what took me two weeks to determine on the course.   Hope this helps.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

All I know is that I tried to implement the Lee Comeaux swing and it did so much damage to my game that I almost wasn't sure I could revert back to normal. Thankfully I was able to and I'm back to a really solid and repeatable swing. I'm sure that his method works, but it clearly cannot be self taught.

To that end, I think that a great golf swing can be self taught through understanding a small bit of the physics behind the swing and a healthy feel for what you're doing in your own swing. We're all going to swing differently, and to a certain extent we all need to learn how to make it work on our own.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I fear reading anything that might add more thoughts into my head. Briefly glancing at the article though, it seems he's arguing a one plane swing for everyone. Or did I read it wrong? Does this thought process work with a two plane?

Absolutely not. This is just a small part of the story and he is talking about how our bodies dictate our swing.  Barbajo went to one of the instructors and went through the process.  He was kind enough to share his booklet with us.  It is 33 freaking pages of testing for this and that and picking out all kind of things that you should or should not be doing.

Understanding Your Golf Swing-Barba.pdf

Your fears are totally unfounded.  The purpose of this is to determine the swing that you should have.  If you are currently working on the wrong swing for your body shape, no amount of right thoughts will matter.

Take it from me.  There is no amount of "grooving a swing" that will hold up under pressure if your body does not want to move that way naturally.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Hi guys -- when I went through the biomechanical assessment with Brad Pluth, it was a new experience for me.  We basically built a swing from the ground up.  I still have a few swing flaws -- but I appreciated Brad's philosophy that there is no one correct swing -- we're all built differently and have different levels of athleticism and flexibility.  The particular type of assessment he uses tries to pinpoint where you are strong and where you're weak, where you should be centered during address, what kind of takeaway, etc. 

It's worked pretty well.  The first year of the swing change was fun, the second year was even better.  Can't wait to see what happens this year.  I'll be seeing Brad Friday for a pre-season tune-up and swing oil & lube.  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived