Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

16 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

. I know this isn't a big deal to most here, but I hit a milestone today. Started this journey at 85mph and got triple digits today for the first time.

Gaining 15 MPH of swing speed of a big deal.  keep up the good work!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another short but productive range session yesterday - mostly wedges again working mainly on distance control.

Starting to gain some confidence with a simplified motion that I can land the ball within a reasonable proximity of my target. But, of course, this is at the range off a flat mat..!

Also worked on a few ball striking drills, tho felt like I was catching a bunch thin .. not getting off my trail side early enough nor fully enough.

But hey you guys know my tag line in here...

Work In Progress!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

5 hours ago, barney_bogey said:

I hit a milestone today. Started this journey at 85mph and got triple digits today for the first time.

Out@#%$#$@standing @barney_bogey. Way to go.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Practiced chipping in the yard today with my 56* wedge. Started with an arc height drill then some one-handed chipping. Finished with 7-yard chips focused on contact and arc height. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

1 hour ago, BobBC78 said:

Practiced chipping in the yard today with my 56* wedge. Started with an arc height drill then some one-handed chipping. Finished with 7-yard chips focused on contact and arc height. 

used to love "chipping" in the yard, I grew up with an acre of cut yard in the front of our house, my dad would love to have "chip offs" with me and anyone else that might wander over. Brought back memories thanks for that...

committed to performance excellence

I got out to the range this morning early.  Got a chance to layer up and wear my GB jacket to see if/how it may affect my swing.  I'll post more on that in the right page later when I can upload video.

I warmed up with wedge shots and got loose. Then continued working on the new 3 wood and driver. Getting used to that heavier 3 wood and the driver is still having some issues. Finished it off with chipping at the green. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Had my lesson today and feel like I finally made a large stride with my driver.  I went down a wormhole yesterday evening with the driver and started looking at my setup that PXG had suggested and made a change with weights.  They had me set up for a draw with all the weight in the heel.  I moved the weight to the back of the club and turned it to standard.  I got to the range and warmed up before my lesson and started hitting either dead straight or a pull shot but straight.  During my lesson, my pro told me that my pulls are from not letting my lower body catch up and being too quick on top.  I started to feel that misplacement of weight distribution during those shots and something finally clicked with it today.  We will see how it goes out on the course and if I can continue the progress, but I feel much better today about the driver than I did yesterday.

Range today.

Driver - Worked on face strike which is much improved via going to 44.5" length. Set my driver at 11* loft, next time will try 11.5*. 

Distance wedge shots - determined that backswing to the pocket followed by full-ish through swing worked to hit 40-, 50- and 60-yard shots with my 56*, UW and PW, respectively (sort of like the Pelz "7:30" swing). Once I get consistent with this shot, I plan to move to "backswing to the ribcage" to get another set of distances. 

Chipping - On pitch and putt course worked on chips from various lies around one of the greens (which has 3 flags so there is some variety). The grass was wet and long (even the so called fairway lies) so not much spin, but still time well spent. 

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

2 hours ago, BobBC78 said:

Range today.

Driver - Worked on face strike which is much improved via going to 44.5" length. Set my driver at 11* loft, next time will try 11.5*. 

Distance wedge shots - determined that backswing to the pocket followed by full-ish through swing worked to hit 40-, 50- and 60-yard shots with my 56*, UW and PW, respectively (sort of like the Pelz "7:30" swing). Once I get consistent with this shot, I plan to move to "backswing to the ribcage" to get another set of distances. 

Chipping - On pitch and putt course worked on chips from various lies around one of the greens (which has 3 flags so there is some variety). The grass was wet and long (even the so called fairway lies) so not much spin, but still time well spent. 

Sounds like a very productive range session!  

Went to the range yesterday to concentrate on hitting my new driver. Had a few good balls, but I was mostly all over the place. The grip is smaller than what I have on my other clubs and it leads me to start fiddling with hand position once I've gripped the club. I'll probably get my grip changed over the weekend and see if that helps. Not hitting it as far as my old driver, which is annoying and weird.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

Had a short, but sweet lesson today after work. 

No lesson last week, so spent today’s lesson going over how my rounds have gone and showing off my new 3 iron. Was getting some good swings in, and getting more hip rotation that my coach has been asking for. He approves of the purchase, and thinks the heavier shaft is helping me out. Have a couple rounds this weekend to see how it looks on the course.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)

-TJ

North Kingstown GC range and practice green today. Worked on 40–60-yard wedge shots and drivers using my normal tee height and testing the small "+" and big "+" settings on my G400 Max. Finally, as the season is coming to an end in RI, I have nailed down my driver setup: Kuro Kage HBP senior flex shaft total club length of 44.5" at the big "+" setting seems to provide optimal strike (based on impact labels) with a tight dispersion and little loss of distance from the stock 45.5" length. 

Played 9-holes of chip and putt on the practice green, dropping two balls, playing each down and putting out. 

Another good practice sesh this afternoon - lots of wedges and putting .. distance control in both areas is improving!!

Also hit driver - comparing current to a potential replacement. Alternated just a few shots of each with wedges in-between.

I know that changing driver sounds weird to those of you who've read my posts this season about my driver journey, but .. I think .. maybe possibly .. my swing is ready for a bit of a change... TBD!

Edited by cksurfdude
typo

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Been rough getting to the course due to weather and late sun rises. Been doing some swing work. My coach has been trying to get me to get my arms moving more as I have a tendency for them to lag behind my hips. Perfect for NTC. 

video is 25/50/75/100 speed feels. Work in progress but feeling good. Jayson also says I am on the right track. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I've not played practiced for 3months, health issues latest is a bad case of Vertigo which I think is the absolute worst, but feeling like hitting a few balls as I can swing gentle without losing my balance and falling over 😂

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

12 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I've not played practiced for 3months, health issues latest is a bad case of Vertigo which I think is the absolute worst, but feeling like hitting a few balls as I can swing gentle without losing my balance and falling over 😂

Oh no, vertigo, that is one sickness that definitely keeps us off the course, I am sorry to hear that, I have experienced it and it is not fun... I was only out of golf for a week or so, got lucky, but I have had friends that have had to quit the game due to it.. good luck in your return.

On 10/23/2023 at 3:44 AM, Jim Shaw said:

Oh no, vertigo, that is one sickness that definitely keeps us off the course, I am sorry to hear that, I have experienced it and it is not fun... I was only out of golf for a week or so, got lucky, but I have had friends that have had to quit the game due to it.. good luck in your return.

Hi Jim,

Vertigo is not a good experience, I'm interested in what you did to recover and do you have ongoing things that you do to keep it at bay. I've looked at utube video and there's a lot of stuff that needs sorting 😂 

I actually had it much more intense 20 years ago when I woke in a hotel 🛍️ in Vietnam, took me 90mins to pickup the phone to ring reception to get help SCARY 😳

Appreciate any feedback, cheers Colin 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

5 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Hi Jim,

Vertigo is not a good experience, I'm interested in what you did to recover and do you have ongoing things that you do to keep it at bay. I've looked at utube video and there's a lot of stuff that needs sorting 😂 

I actually had it much more intense 20 years ago when I woke in a hotel 🛍️ in Vietnam, took me 90mins to pickup the phone to ring reception to get help SCARY 😳

Appreciate any feedback, cheers Colin 

Hey Colin, I only had it really bad for one day, then, like you, was anxious it was going to come back and hit again as it is so random. Went to my GP and he wasn't surprised, says he sees it quite a bit, I went to a special physio appt and they did some stuff with my head and neck and I have been fine ever since, you may want to google the therapy and see if it may work for you. 

Been working on rotation - using the short irons (not wedges) to hit easy pitches, focused on back and thru.  Need to make this a daily post, will help me keep track of the things I'm working on. 

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

8 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

Hey Colin, I only had it really bad for one day, then, like you, was anxious it was going to come back and hit again as it is so random. Went to my GP and he wasn't surprised, says he sees it quite a bit, I went to a special physio appt and they did some stuff with my head and neck and I have been fine ever since, you may want to google the therapy and see if it may work for you. 

I had it bad for 3 days and there's a few varieties but mine is BPPV, apologies for going off topic some but yesterday and today I did a little practice swinging with a rope and a new Mizuno fli hi hybrid. I didn't have any signs of falling over so will hit some balls soon, I've attached a description of Bppv just as an explanation... 

And I pray I or you don't get it, apparently there's no way of knowing if you're going to get it...

IMG_20231024_212854.jpg

Practiced hitting short pitches in my yard, then about 30-minutes on my PuttOut mat (indoors):

1. Setup with a mirror
  2. Kenyon gate drill - took 2 tries to get 10 in a row
  3. PuttOut Pressure Putt trainer on putts from 1' to 6'. 

Day 2 - we wrapped up the church men’s group monthly 9hole super ball.  Played the persimmon woods and MacGregor irons.  Drew some comments about the old days and the sound of a wood driver hit on the screws.  Enjoyed being the fairway finder with the persimmons and letting the guys eat with the big dawgs…IMG_7577.jpeg.90402b133f00a4070a684fb291dee4f5.jpeg

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Heading out to the range this morning to try out the new driver.  Can't wait to try out the Velocore shaft.

Got ten minutes outside at freezing temps before my daughter woke up. SLO mo swings and 25% speed. Then for the last hit a full swing that with the foam ball started right and drew to my target line. Slowly getting there. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Solid mirror work this evening - focused on hip turn in back swing, moved to half swings at easy pace focused on keeping hips moving and not shutting down mid downswing. 

I thought I was done playing for the season after playing a bunch of tournaments earlier this month.But the weather in DC got really nice this week and so I was able to sneak in a couple of 9 hole rounds after work. I didn’t play particularly well, but I enjoyed myself.

Played at Enterprise today out in PG County, my playing partners were cool and the weather was nice. I shot 100 but it felt like it could’ve been 90 very easily. Duffed a bunch of chips today. But I was only leaving them short, not miss hitting, which is an improvement.

New putter is feeling good, but I couldn’t make anything drop. I was taking good lines and my speed was good. I couldn't put them together, it was worse than when you're putting poorly and you know you've got nothing, because a better score is right there teasing you.

Stroked the  new driver (Sim2 Max HD) & was told that I have smooth power. Didn't give any thought  to pulling out the old driver to try and fade a corner or whatever. Still feel like I'm kind of riding the lightning with it because I overshot the fairway a few times and it went both left and right unexpectedly on me. I'm hitting it well but I haven't locked in on a consistent shot with it.

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto