Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Understanding Ping crossover club

tony@CIC

I was reading golf magazine and see a test on a Ping crossover (3 iron?)

Can someone help me understand how this club fits in the bag? I current have three Ping hybrids 19, 22, and 26 and then 6 iron, 7, etc.

Also I don't have fairway woods - couldn't seem to hit them at all so went with a broader selection of hybrids.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This club has technology that allows for iron like looks, hybrid like launch and spin performance. In theory it should be easier to hit than a standard 3 iron and offer more forgiveness and better dispersion.

I have a similar model in the Titleist 712u, it's a bit different, but a forgiving "iron". I also use a hybrid. It just depends on your ball striking, and what you want the club to do.

Generally hybrids will fly higher and land softer than irons, that Ping seems to be a middle ground between iron and hybrid.

Hope that makes sense.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Thanks that does make sense - another 'thing' too go on the must have list.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have hit one, it did not go well for me, I hit the hybrid much better. However I would guess the more mid handicap player who struggles with a true iron would probably benefit

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I was reading golf magazine and see a test on a Ping crossover (3 iron?)

Can someone help me understand how this club fits in the bag? I current have three Ping hybrids 19, 22, and 26 and then 6 iron, 7, etc.

Also I don't have fairway woods - couldn't seem to hit them at all so went with a broader selection of hybrids.

Have a look at the review section Tony, they were reviewed here last year.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/15804-official-forum-member-review-ping-crossover/

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I have never hit the Ping Crossover. I did stumble across a Callaway UTX last year. I tried it and it fits well into my game plan. It was 24* but I bent it back to 22*. Now I do some things differently than most folks. If you look it is the same degree as my Hybrid. I do not worry about duplicating degrees or such. I hit different shots with it versus the Hybrid. I have the hybrid set up by use of weight as anti hook. I hit it straight or a little fade and like Shankster says I hit it high. Now the UTX I have set up to hook and hit low. I hit screamer stingers off the tee with that thing. I can hit it off the fairway when I absolutely have to hook one. I also use it for a long runner to a green when the situation dictates. One may ask how in the heck did you set this club up to do that when it is designed to hit the ball high? Simple Shaft change. In my regular Callys you will see that they are 5.5 Rifle PXI where I have a 6.0 PXI in the UTX. I also have about 3 grams of lead tape up high on the top rail to balance it some  That gets it lower for me. For me on a lot of clubs it is not about the distance but trajectory and what I can do with them.

BTW On the hybrid that is the ONLY hybrid I do not hook off the planet and I did some redneck engineering on it. I have a soft tipped shaft with a stiff mid section in it and have about 8 grams of lead tape in the toe. If I take the lead tape out I will rope hook it off the planet!

What I do on stuff is not exactly holy grail or mainstream but it works for me and may not work for everyone. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Ball speeds are stupid off the crossover. It's for the guy that needs some help at the top of the bag, but either hates or hooks hybrids. It's still not super easy to hit, but off the tee you can mash it no problem.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

• 1 month later...

I am a player that hits his long irons much better than fairway woods and hybrids, so for years I had a driver and then 3-iron. 90% of the time that was enough for me but last fall, I tried the Ping G crossover 3 and I loved how it performed. It is a dream for someone like me that likes long irons but not hybrids. So now, I have that option for a little more distance than my 3-iron can provide. The feel is amazing for me. I get a good 265 out of it and on most courses that's all I need on par 5's.

Taylor Made M1 (9.5deg, Matrix Speed Rulz c-type 70g shaft)

Ping I20 (Yellow Dot, Z-Z65 steel shaft

Right Handed

Phoenix, AZ

6 hcp

I have a Adams DHY Pro which is very similar to the Ping crossover. They are similar clubs although I do prefer the Adams as the numbers were similar and the price was much much cheaper. From how I found it they were more along the lines of a compact hybrid. Not so much a driving iron and not really a hybrid but a inbetween club. I like some of these other guys am not a huge hybrid fan. I try to like them but just don't quite get along with them and seem to get along better with longer irons. So in went this and although it does come out of the bag the odd time in place of the 5 wood depending on the course, it's a real reliable club for me.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Archived