Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Leagues

KevinE

I'm reaching out to fellow GolfSpyers, for a little input on my Golf League. First I am not the President of the league, but any changes are usually voted on by all league members. A little history of the league is this. It is a league of 20, 2 man teams. The league has been in existence for well over 20 years. I myself have been in it for 5. The age of members ranges from high 20's to some well into their 70's. The handicaps of the members are just as radical. From 2's and 3's to some well into the 20's. The handicaps are currently at 100%, with no more than 1 stroke given on Par 3's. The scoring is combined medal for both team mates  =1 point, and low score on the hole = 1 point. There seems to be some grumbling among a few members, mostly newer ones,  that the league needs to change to 85% handicap and no strokes on par threes. I can't see how a 74 year old man with a 17 handicap shouldn't get a stroke on a 185 yard par 3. Or, that same guy shouldn't get at least a stroke a hole from a 3 handicapper.Mind you, this league has a long history, and change to some of the original members does not come easy. Myself, I say leave it be and respect the the guys who have been in the league for a long time.  Any input in what is and would be the fairest system for the low and high handicapper.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

All leagues have different rules that they follow. Handicap is designed to make the field even and by not applying the appropriate handicaps on every hole including par 3s you are putting high handicappers at a disadvantage.

In the end you have a league that has been running successfully for 20 years. You indicate that the league has officers and a way to submit changes. If people want to change the rules have them submit a request and have it voted on by the officers of the league. Either it will pass or it won't. If people leave the league because of rules like this they probably weren't interested in being in the league long term.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think par 3's are not always the easiest holes. Usually they are on the handicap scale. And this makes for odd situations in leagues. Our league we play at 90% of full handicap. Doesn't change much. But helps a little. Our par 3's are rated 3 of the easier holes and that means I'm giving strokes on those holes. Birdies are not common on our par 3's and I know I'm more than likely loosing those holes unless I do make one. But that's the way the handicaps work. I agree with you. Just leave it be and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

My league is full handicap on all holes.

Like you, we have all ages. The seniors vet to play from the senior tees. No one cares. We just have fun.

I can't say I don't play to win...I do....I play to shoot the best score I can on that given night. But if a 2 handicapper has to give me strokes, "c'est la viv."....and if I have to give a 18 handicapper shots, again the very same "c'est la viv"

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

If everyone is playing the same tees then giving or getting a stroke seems fair. Our local league we play split tees so on the par 3's its a little frustrating when I am playing from 225 and my opponent is playing from 160 and I am giving them a stroke. 

But it is what it is and we all have fun.

Taylormade M1 440 9.5* X flex

Titleist 910F 3 wood 15* stiff flex

Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-PW S300 standard

Titleist SM6 wedge 50* 56* 60*

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Model #1 putter

RH

If everyone is playing the same tees then giving or getting a stroke seems fair. Our local league we play split tees so on the par 3's its a little frustrating when I am playing from 225 and my opponent is playing from 160 and I am giving them a stroke. 

But it is what it is and we all have fun.

We all play from the same tees.....not the fronts but not the tips either.......

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

We play from the 'gold' tees which is about 5600 yds. On Tuesday mornings it's stroke play (18 holes) and your handicap is applied. On Thursday aft. it's 9 hole match play with two man teams. Our pro uses a dot system on the card for each individual player that represents their individual handicap.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My old league's rules penalized the best players and I left it after I realized that last seven quarterly winners were all high handicappers and had played from the senior tees. I don't want to accuse anyone on sandbagging but it just seemed odd. In fact all the problems/politics of that league is why I don't play league golf anymore.

In my mind the fairest rules would be all from the same tee with 100% handicap. It seems to me that any time you try to change the handicap system it penalizes one side of the spectrum.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I play in two leagues. Both have different tees for seniors and adjust the handicap accordingly if a player moves up. You have to be over 65 to play the senior tees.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We play from the 'gold' tees which is about 5600 yds. On Tuesday mornings it's stroke play (18 holes) and your handicap is applied. On Thursday aft. it's 9 hole match play with two man teams. Our pro uses a dot system on the card for each individual player that represents their individual handicap.

Thanks, that is very similar to ours. Monday nights, 9 holer with the dot system on the cards.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

My old league's rules penalized the best players and I left it after I realized that last seven quarterly winners were all high handicappers and had played from the senior tees. I don't want to accuse anyone on sandbagging but it just seemed odd. In fact all the problems/politics of that league is why I don't play league golf anymore.

In my mind the fairest rules would be all from the same tee with 100% handicap. It seems to me that any time you try to change the handicap system it penalizes one side of the spectrum.

Thanks, we do 9 hole, 2 man teams,combined team score, and low score for the hole, each worth a point, all from the same tees. With 100% handicap. Only variation we have is that no more than 1 stroke can be given on the Par 3's. Sandbaggers, are always a problem. They know ,and we know , who they are. The funny thing is, never has a known sandbagger won our league.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Split tees can be accommodated with handicap adjustments. As with everything, the USGA has a formula for this. It bases adjustments on the difference in course ratings.

https://www.usga.org/HandicapFAQ/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=6

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

The league I played in years ago was full handicap. No one complained as far as I recall.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm going to try a league this year. Not sure what to expect, should be an older group of gents. Hopefully have fun, meet some people.

Not sure what they use for handicap. Guess I'll find out.

You can meet some real “characters” in the Leagues. It's all good.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm going to try a league this year. Not sure what to expect, should be an older group of gents. Hopefully have fun, meet some people.

Not sure what they use for handicap. Guess I'll find out.

I started out as a sub a couple of years ago  for our Thursday night match play and had a blast. Great guys and a quick way to meet other golfers. This year I've got a partner for our Thursday night match play and will also continue to play our Tuesday morning individual stroke play. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Our Senior men's group plays M-W-F which I usually play on Fridays. They play full Handicap with all playing same tees. Whoever in “running” the game gets to call it. Net Hcap with CTP or Skins, Scramble, etc. They also call play it down, roll it or Lift Clean & Cheat.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Our Senior men's group plays M-W-F which I usually play on Fridays. They play full Handicap with all playing same tees. Whoever in “running” the game gets to call it. Net Hcap with CTP or Skins, Scramble, etc. They also call play it down, roll it or Lift Clean & Cheat.

The Exec Friday group is the “lift clean & cheat” and get to breakfast B4 the other groups. Never a bad LIE

Rick

Left Hand, 

I play in two leagues. Both have different tees for seniors and adjust the handicap accordingly if a player moves up. You have to be over 65 to play the senior tees.

Now those are leagues which I would have no problem joining.   I am seriously contemplating joining a league.   Unfortunately, play is from the same tees for all.   As Mr. Eastwood said:  A man's gotta know his limitations.   The tees used in this particular league most assuredly exceeds my limitations.   I am having an internal struggle, I really want to join some good friends, but not sure I could handle the weekly frustration.

Lift Clean & Cheat.

Hmm an interesting variation of 'lift clean and place' I'll have to recommend that to our group this year  :lol:

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Start my work golf league tonight. 34 teams of 12 will be teeing it up this year. 9 hole full handicap. Seniors and women can play forward tees. Each team fields 6 players a week. Should be a great evening as it will be 80 degrees today.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Start my work golf league tonight. 34 teams of 12 will be teeing it up this year. 9 hole full handicap. Seniors and women can play forward tees. Each team fields 6 players a week. Should be a great evening as it will be 80 degrees today.

WOW, big league, lot of scores to deal with.

Rick

Left Hand, 

WOW, big league, lot of scores to deal with.

They have it down to a science now. The league is divided into 2 divisions. One division will have their matches on Mon or Wed and the other Tues or Thurs. each team also has 1 inter division matchup. the matches occur at one of 5 courses. Top 8 from each division make the playoffs. Each match winner is determined by today team score. If you can only field 5 players you get a missing man that counts as 11 strokes on the total and yes teams still win matches with the missing man “penalty”. 4 or fewer is a forfeit.

I neglected to mention on Thursday match play nights we have two flights based on handicap

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The league I played in years ago was full handicap. No one complained as far as I recall.

I don't think there is anything to complain about. It's the fairest way......

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I think was it comes down to is "are your having fun?". If you are than you are in a great league. If not maybe it's time to move on. Golf at the amateur level is all about having fun. It's like fishing, some days are definitely better than others but in the end you should of had a better time out on the course than in the office.

Handicaps only need to be reduced in a best ball type of format and the OP's league gives points based on total score and best score so it is bit of a mixed bag. I'd say 85% is a good number to use.

My league has 12 teams of 15 guys. Each week one team faces off against another (6 matches) and each team's score is made up of their best 2 gross scores +best 5 net scores. Including 2 gross scores keeps the best players interested in the league. 

We use full handicaps but based only on league scores so it is pretty much sandbagging-proof. Players can play from whatever tee they enjoy and the handicaps are adjusted automatically for range/slope of the tee they play.

It is all an online commercial system that does all the scorekeeping and calculations immediately. The results showing up on the lounge TV's and instantly updated as each score is entered by the Pro Shop. Lots of fun and banter in the clubhouse. Has made my club's league day a LOT more fun since we started using it. Send me a message if you'd like to know more.

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

• 4 weeks later...

Our league plays in an A/B group format. The field is split down the middle based on the handicaps of that weeks players. As a mid handicapper that has meant I've been in both the A and B groups. The A group usually plays back one set of tees from the B group. All in all that seems to level out the playing field pretty well.

Our struggle is maintaining the balance between using tournament rules vs emphasizing pace of play. We expect that will balance out when the new USGA rules are fully implemented.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Archived