Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hello again, Goody! I think this is an excellent question, especially for younger/new golfers.

I would strongly recommend the books of Bob Rotella who is a sports/golf psychologist. I read his book, "Putting Out of Your Mind," and it helped my putting immensely. If I had to boil it down to one line, it would be this: get out of your own way. The greatest example in the book is when he talks about "touch." He says that many amateurs come to him and tell him that they don't have touch. He gives them a golf ball and asks them to throw it to his hand. When they do this, successfully, he says, "Look, you have touch!" The point he is making is that when you don't think about how hard to throw it or how to aim or how to swing your arm to toss the ball, you will be successful because you allow your body to just work. Apply the same principle putting: Look at the hole, look at the ball, and let it go.

He has books about the whole game as well, like "Your 15th Club." The books can probably be found for $10-15 on Amazon and are well worth the money because you will want to re-read them a couple times a season (if you're like me, anyway).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Read Extraordinary Golf by Fred Shoemaker. There is also Extraordinary Putting. Both are amazing. If you are in string theory and getting really deep in science, there is always Golf in the Kingdom by Michael Murphy. Golf in the Kingdom is a great read but gets very deep.

Take it from a person who has read all of those books. I think most of them are pretty much hogwash. I would suggest 'Mental Management for Great Golf' by Dr. Bee Epstein-Shepherd

It actually teaches techniques to do things like 'self hypnosis' and breathing techniques to calm down.

One thing I see from high handicappers is that their pre-shot routine is non-existent. I have a routine where take two practice swings behind the ball at about a 45* angle, then I get directly behind the ball and find where I want to aim, then grip and rip. I do it on every single full swing shot.

Most golfers get up there and hit it and do a variety of things. It takes you out of focus when your routine is out of whack. I value the pre-shot routine and if you watch great free throw shooters in basketball, they all have a routine they do every single time.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

Take it from a person who has read all of those books. I think most of them are pretty much hogwash. I would suggest 'Mental Management for Great Golf' by Dr. Bee Epstein-Shepherd

It actually teaches techniques to do things like 'self hypnosis' and breathing techniques to calm down.

One thing I see from high handicappers is that their pre-shot routine is non-existent. I have a routine where take two practice swings behind the ball at about a 45* angle, then I get directly behind the ball and find where I want to aim, then grip and rip. I do it on every single full swing shot.

Most golfers get up there and hit it and do a variety of things. It takes you out of focus when your routine is out of whack. I value the pre-shot routine and if you watch great free throw shooters in basketball, they all have a routine they do every single time.

3JACK

I Agree, having a routine is key, for every shot... including putting as well. this will develop a consistent flow to your game and in turn your swing as well. Everything you do should have a purpose. IT doesn't mean you have to be a robot but having these key thought will help you with pressure as well.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

The problem I have with Rotella's stuff is that it's stuff that I already know going in and there's no real techniques involved with it in order to sharpen my mental skills.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

The problem I have with Rotella's stuff is that it's stuff that I already know going in and there's no real techniques involved with it in order to sharpen my mental skills.

3JACK

True enough, but for some reason, after I read the book, I'm better for it. I think there's a difference, for me, between knowing it and having it really fresh in my mind.

Thank you for the tips. The Mental side of the game is my absolute weakest link. The running joke at my shop is that I have the prettiest swing on the range, but can't break 90 with any type of consistency. I shall read Mental Management for Great Golf, and see if it helps.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I like Rotella's stuff. I also can't recommend enough Stan Utley's new book - "The Art of Scoring". It provides what I would describe as practical tips on decision making and course strategy.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I like Rotella's stuff. I also can't recommend enough Stan Utley's new book - "The Art of Scoring". It provides what I would describe as practical tips on decision making and course strategy.

Is this new book mainly mental, mainly technical, or 50/50? I'm always interested in new Mental books, but not so much in making over my technique.

Is this new book mainly mental, mainly technical, or 50/50? I'm always interested in new Mental books, but not so much in making over my technique.

I'd say about 60/40 mental. There are two long chapters on technique, which I thought were pretty good. The rest is on short game strategy.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

On 3Jack's recommendation, I bought this book from Amazon and it was delivered yesterday. At just over 100 pages, it's not much more than an hour of reading, and if you cut it down to meaningful text you wouldn't have much more than a pamphlet - maybe 20 pages. That does not mean that it wouldn't be a really good 20 pages. I think the ideas and techniques that are taught in this book are very useful and a good counterpart to the Rotella books/philosophy that I love so much. Rotella basically says, "Think positive, trust yourself." This book teaches you how to do that through relaxation techniques, self hypnosis (don't know it until you've read the book and tried it), and visualization. I will definitely be spending some time working on these techniques and I will keep you all posted about my findings.

Sounds good. I have a book on the way that another member recommended, it's supposed to have some self-hypnosis techniques. If that doesn't work out I may give Utley a try.

which book is that?

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

one of the things i like to do is "focus on the specific target" which does not have to be the flag. In other words, a tree branch that you want your ballflight to be in line with.

Picture the target in your mind...you will be amazed at how many times you can make the ball do that if you focus. Obviously it takes practice...start with a huge target then gradually get smaller and smaller.

I agree, same routine everytime is key.

im no PGA pro, these are my observations.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

which book is that?

Mental Management for Great Golf' by Dr. Bee Epstein-Shepherd

Bought this on 3Jack's recommendation and have found it to be solid, as I mentioned a couple posts up.

I took a lot of the ideas from the book to the course today and I strongly believe that they helped me to play very well. I haven't gotten into any of the "techniques" yet due to a lack of time and an abundance of basketball on tv, but the ideas alone are very worthwhile.

I remember listening to a building jumper. this guy was a psycho so he fits right in. someone asked him how you would suggest someone get started in jumping off a building. he said start by jumping off a stair. 1 8" stair!!!! then 2. and so on and so forth till you build up some height. but it was all in that first step jump and by doing that you realize the task was simple. as you got higher eventually at some height you were faced with a barrier some kind of apprehension - but it was really just a little bit more than the previous, and the previous and the previous all back to the first step.

still with me?

how i interpreted this was to find that barrier point. SEEK IT! that holy smokes point where your ready to die, find it and go thru it blazing.

the easiest way to find this "oh no i cant point" get your butt in the weight room and find a simple exercise you can do, i dont care what it is - for sake of discussion and lack of a gym - lets do some squats - stand up get away from your desk - yes now - cross your arms and squat your butt to the floor and repeat. do this 10 times. find it? nope? its there... do another 10. any luck? oooh your a strong one.... lets do 20 more..... your up to 40 - great lets do another 30 more....... getting close????? nope, ok, find 80 reps.... ahhhh i think your getting warmer..... remember this is non stop... keep going.... ok, your ready to quit???? nope not yet... keep going..... 10 more.... find 100 reps... goood.....

how was that? did you find the point where it became hard? then the point where you wanted to stop? what about the point where you thought this was IMPOSSIBLE????? good. you want to get mentally strong, your not going to get it by reading some feel good story in a book, or have a shrink tell you its great to compromise - your going find it by seeking failure under duress.

now grab your izzo dual strapped golf bag put it on and do it again. is that impossible? good, do it! prove the considerations in your body WRONG!

push yourself so hard in the gym, that hitting a golf ball is a breeze.

but by all means if this is too hard for a person, thats ok, theres a reason why only 1 person is the champion followed by everyone else.

:)

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Mental Management for Great Golf' by Dr. Bee Epstein-Shepherd

Bought this on 3Jack's recommendation and have found it to be solid, as I mentioned a couple posts up.

I took a lot of the ideas from the book to the course today and I strongly believe that they helped me to play very well. I haven't gotten into any of the "techniques" yet due to a lack of time and an abundance of basketball on tv, but the ideas alone are very worthwhile.

I will have to try that one as well. The guy's name is really "Bee"?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I remember listening to a building jumper. this guy was a psycho so he fits right in. someone asked him how you would suggest someone get started in jumping off a building. he said start by jumping off a stair. 1 8" stair!!!! then 2. and so on and so forth till you build up some height. but it was all in that first step jump and by doing that you realize the task was simple. as you got higher eventually at some height you were faced with a barrier some kind of apprehension - but it was really just a little bit more than the previous, and the previous and the previous all back to the first step.

still with me?

how i interpreted this was to find that barrier point. SEEK IT! that holy smokes point where your ready to die, find it and go thru it blazing.

the easiest way to find this "oh no i cant point" get your butt in the weight room and find a simple exercise you can do, i dont care what it is - for sake of discussion and lack of a gym - lets do some squats - stand up get away from your desk - yes now - cross your arms and squat your butt to the floor and repeat. do this 10 times. find it? nope? its there... do another 10. any luck? oooh your a strong one.... lets do 20 more..... your up to 40 - great lets do another 30 more....... getting close????? nope, ok, find 80 reps.... ahhhh i think your getting warmer..... remember this is non stop... keep going.... ok, your ready to quit???? nope not yet... keep going..... 10 more.... find 100 reps... goood.....

how was that? did you find the point where it became hard? then the point where you wanted to stop? what about the point where you thought this was IMPOSSIBLE????? good. you want to get mentally strong, your not going to get it by reading some feel good story in a book, or have a shrink tell you its great to compromise - your going find it by seeking failure under duress.

now grab your izzo dual strapped golf bag put it on and do it again. is that impossible? good, do it! prove the considerations in your body WRONG!

but by all means if this is too hard for a person, thats ok, theres a reason why only 1 person is the champion followed by everyone else.

:(

It seems to me like you're talking about a very different kind of mental skill or ability. I certainly agree that thinking happy thoughts will not make you mentally tough in the same way that pushing yourself beyond what you believe is possible will. I just don't think that the kind of mental toughness you're talking about has much to do with golf. On the golf course, people don't question their ability to physically swing a golf club, but they do question their ability to do so well. I think there is undeniable value in positive thinking and relaxation techniques to help eliminate those negative thoughts. JMO.

• SPY VIP

still with me?

:)

Thank you sir.

I will now read this every time I go to the gym. One more rep!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• 5 months later...

Hello again, Goody! I think this is an excellent question, especially for younger/new golfers.

I would strongly recommend the books of Bob Rotella who is a sports/golf psychologist. I read his book, "Putting Out of Your Mind," and it helped my putting immensely. If I had to boil it down to one line, it would be this: get out of your own way. The greatest example in the book is when he talks about "touch." He says that many amateurs come to him and tell him that they don't have touch. He gives them a golf ball and asks them to throw it to his hand. When they do this, successfully, he says, "Look, you have touch!" The point he is making is that when you don't think about how hard to throw it or how to aim or how to swing your arm to toss the ball, you will be successful because you allow your body to just work. Apply the same principle putting: Look at the hole, look at the ball, and let it go.

He has books about the whole game as well, like "Your 15th Club." The books can probably be found for $10-15 on Amazon and are well worth the money because you will want to re-read them a couple times a season (if you're like me, anyway).

Great advice. Bob Rotella is right on the money for getting the focus where it belongs and tossing away the rest that is just clutter.

Ol' Stick

Archived