Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

2018 Most Wanted Players Distance Iron

Wedgie

Didn't see that coming but congrats to Fourteen. Never even heard of them but will have to check them out now.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Yeah, that surprised me too. I knew Fourteen made good clubs but I was surprised to even see them submit clubs for testing.

I was also suprised to see the I500's ranked so low.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

**** me and the i500's :lol:

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Long irons seemed to be what took the i500 down lower. Didn't really dive into the data too much, but at the glance that's what I saw.

A little surprising considering that would be where a lot of ppl want to put them or replace current irons with some of the longer i500 series.

Great to see fourteen do well! Didn't really ever think of them in the players distance iron category. More of the players iron and blades and such.

Yet again most wanted pegs a lesser known brand and helps show off how great their clubs are and assists with giving them some well needed exposure.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Is fourteen golf out of business? Someone on another forum said they tried to order clubs from them and was told that they were no longer accepting orders. Their wedge guy quit and left too didn't he?

My bag is a revolving door!

Is fourteen golf out of business? Someone on another forum said they tried to order clubs from them and was told that they were no longer accepting orders. Their wedge guy quit and left too didn't he?

They are still in business. As for Wedge Wizard, he went out on his own so he could expand on what he has done to this point with Fourteen Golf by starting his own customization business, which was a dream of his. Doing such also allows him to accept orders from golfers with non Fourteen Golf wedges and will help him be more successful. He has already done some custom sets that have gone for $500+ and haven't lasted much more than an hour.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Long irons seemed to be what took the i500 down lower. Didn't really dive into the data too much, but at the glance that's what I saw.

A little surprising considering that would be where a lot of ppl want to put them or replace current irons with some of the longer i500 series.

Agreed. It looks like it may have been an accuracy issue (maybe because its half an inch longer than most of the others) or that it might be a better fit for a lower spin player with slightly higher than expected spin and high launch. Still produces great ball speed though.

I went and double check the i500 Specs against the top 3 and I'm now questioning/wondering about its turf interaction in the long irons. 6* of bounce seems like a ton for a 5 iron 

CLUB       LENGTH        LOFT      POWER     RETRO      LIE         OFFSET       BOUNCE        SW

5-Iron   38 1/4”inches       24.0°          22.5°         26.0°       61.0°     0.12”inches          6.0°             D1

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

I'm sure that someone out there knows but I didn't see it listed anywhere in the article or "How We Test" so I figured I would ask. I'm assuming that Long, Mid & Short irons = 5,7 & 9 irons?

I'm sure that someone out there knows but I didn't see it listed anywhere in the article or "How We Test" so I figured I would ask. I'm assuming that Long, Mid & Short irons = 5,7 & 9 irons?

5, 7, PW are the clubs used.

As for the comments about The i500 results, it didn't surprise me, I hated the long iron but did okay with 7 and PW. But in the end it is about finding the clubs that work for you and the i500 may be perfect for you. The players distance category will be interesting to watch as manufacturers perfect clubs that will fit this marketplace.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5, 7, PW are the clubs used.

As for the comments about The i500 results, it didn't surprise me, I hated the long iron but did okay with 7 and PW. But in the end it is about finding the clubs that work for you and the i500 may be perfect for you. The players distance category will be interesting to watch as manufacturers perfect clubs that will fit this marketplace.

Any particular reason for PW over 9? I understand why 5 over 4. 

Definitely agree that it will be a category to follow

Most of the online reviews of the i500s show the reviewers having similar issues - gapping in the longer clubs is too close and gapping in the scoring clubs is way too far apart.

Interested to see if the MGS reviewers have similar experiences.

I think some of that could be solved with the Ben Hogan 4* loft gap philosophy. I have that in my current set and had to bend my Forged Tec Black 5 iron 2* weak and it has worked out great

I think some of that could be solved with the Ben Hogan 4* loft gap philosophy. I have that in my current set and had to bend my Forged Tec Black 5 iron 2* weak and it has worked out great

Actually some are finding that they are getting higher launch, more peak height and more distance out of the i500 Power Spec than even the i500 retro lofts - pretty crazy.

Actually some are finding that they are getting higher launch, more peak height and more distance out of the i500 Power Spec than even the i500 retro lofts - pretty crazy.

Yea I saw TXG mention that last week. Crazy indeed and probably shows that the marriage between iron ball speed and launch angle should be looked at much closer than it currently does

Any particular reason for PW over 9? I understand why 5 over 4.

I just hit what I am told to hit. My guess is that is generally the bottom end of a standard set.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just hit what I am told to hit. My guess is that is generally the bottom end of a standard set.

That reasoning makes sense

I'm not surprised at all to see the Mizuno or the Taylormade up there, great clubs.  I guess the part of this that I find the most interesting, is I can't really see any significant difference between any of these clubs. So while the Ping/Callaways were at the bottom, their numbers looks to be about the same.

Looking at the Long Iron numbers where the i500 fell short in the testing, and comparing it to the top 3. It has the 2nd best Shot area, the 3rd best on distance to hole, 2nd best distance, 2nd on ball speed...  so without going through the testing process, I don't know how each of those weigh in. Only looking at the Long Iron data for these 4 clubs, the only stat that looks noticeably different is the Distance to Hole for the Fourteen TC788, as it is 3' closer.  But being 35' or 38' away doesn't make any difference in actual golf, you aren't making a higher percentage of putts at 35'.  All other numbers are basically the same for the entire set of test clubs. 

Still I am curious what lead the Fourteen to win.  If I look at the numbers, the two most important categories to me are the distance to hole and the shot area.

If we rank clubs in those two categories and take the average, the AP3 and C300 come out as the best Long Iron clubs. And the Fourteen comes in 3rd.  The P790 and JPX 900 tie for 6th. i500 falls in 9th and the Rouge Pro is last in both categories, so maybe don't pick that one. 

But again, I think these are all really nice clubs and offer some nice gains. I personally put the i500 4/5 iron in my bag and find them to be amazing. But when I hit them, i didn't find anything to me that stuck out between them and the P790. I had Ping i200s, and liked the look of the i500 so I went with them. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Still I am curious what lead the Fourteen to win.  If I look at the numbers, the two most important categories to me are the distance to hole and the shot area.

You will want to read THIS. It will clear up a lot when reading any kind of MGS Test.

When I got the email for the 2018 Most Wanted Players Distance Irons, I figured it would be all hollow head irons in the test, but I was wrong.

Then, to see the most conventional looking perimeter weighted cavity back beat all the hi tech offerings, that was very interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived