Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ever had a caddie?

fixyurdivot

I've never been caddied on a golf course and likely never will.  When I was in the AF, you could hire caddies at Clark AB, but we opted to spend that money on beer and food instead. Honestly, I would find it kind of weird to have someone hauling my bag around. Even the few courses I've played with golf attendants; asking if you want help with your bag from/to your car and cleaning your clubs when unloading at 18, leave me feeling odd.

It seems a good many on the forum are very low handicappers and play competition golf. Perhaps many of these events held at top level courses require use of a caddie?  Maybe some of you belong to high end CC's that offer caddies?  Have you ever played a golf round with a caddie and what are your experiences?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I've had a caddie a few times in my life, always on golf holidays.  Pinehurst, Kohler, St Andrews, and probably a few more.  Generally, the caddies were extremely knowledgeable about the golf course.  That can be really valuable, especially at a place like the Old Course where you really can't see many of the bunkers and other hazards.  The best caddies were also able to read my abilities as a golfer.  The would watch my shots for a few holes, suggesting carry yardages and letting me pick my clubs.  After those first few holes, he'd hand me a club and tell me what line I wanted to land the ball on.  He would factor in the wind, the expected bounce and roll, and my typical ball flight.  The best are also expert at reading greens, occasionally reading a completely different break than I anticipated.

I found out after my first trip to St Andrews that my caddie was one of those that Dean Knuth considers the best in town, Willie Stewart.  I wasn't surprised, he was outstanding.  I made sure that when I went back the following year I had Willie on my bag again.

http://www.popeofslope.com/scotland/bestcaddie.html

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've had caddies on a few different occasions on nice courses. It is a great experience! It is very freeing to walk the course with nothing in hand, and there is no better feeling than being in the fairway, or tee box, and having your putter handed to you for the long walk up to the green you just hit! The courses I've had caddies on are also cart path only if you are riding, so I much prefer walking them, and for some of these once in a lifetime courses, the extra expense of a caddie is definitely worth it.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I've been caddied and have caddied for quite a few times at my club. Most times we'd ride in the cart and a few times we just uses push cart. It's a great experience for me for sure as it provide a new perspective and how to approach the shot, hole, and the round.

Golf is an entirely different beast when you are not playing the shot yourselves. I learn that the most important mindset is “what” and “where” and definitely not “how”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've had a lot of caddies on golf trips to Ireland, Scotland and most recently to Bandon Dunes.  I understand the reluctance, but they are worth it to me.  They know the course and can read greens.  More than a few times on my last trip, the caddy would give me a line on a putt and I would say "Really?"  I had it a few inches outside and he had four feet of break.  

On our last trip, we had two caddies (double bagging) for the first time we played the course.  From then on, we had one fore-caddy for the group.  We pulled our clubs; he helped with line off the tee, adjustments to the wind, weather it was better to be left or right of the pin on the approach and on putting.  Worked out well and was worth the $40 dollars each for his help.

One fun aspect of having a caddy is the stories they tell.  I like to ask my caddy who the best golfer he/she has ever carried for. I asked that at Royal Port Rush and the caddy thought for a second and replied "Probably Phil Michelson."   We've had caddies who have carried for Jack, Rory, Tom W,, Phil, Seve,  et. al.  I also like to ask who was the worst golfer the have ever caddied for.  Fortunately, none have said I was the worst--not yet anyway.   

I recommend you give it a try.   

Try it..you will like it. I have had caddies on my bag while playing in unfamiliar places and I have carried bags on my home courses.  It is a really fun experience from both perspectives.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

I would love to experience this! I understand about feeling a little weird about it too but I bet that goes away pretty quick.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I've had a couple of opportunities but only employed one once. At Bandon and glad I did. I really enjoyed the freedom not to mention the course knowledge he provided. Green reading like DaveP talked about was a must. There were many times I had a putt read exactly opposite!!

I don't find anything odd or unusual about hiring a caddy for having a bag attendant available at the course. I don't store my bag at the club; so I enjoy one of the high school kids helping with my bag. I give them tips off and on. Especially after a round when they clean my irons. I appreciate it and so do they.

I don't think a large segment of forum member are low or "very low" handicappers. I'd wager that the MGS forum averages around 15. I carry a 4 right now but most of the guys I see and like in the forum are probably somewhat higher or... lower even. I'd love to play golf with any of them. Handicap doesn't matter who I enjoy playing with. I don't' think any of us think of each other by handicap. We're friends and love golf.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've had a couple of opportunities but only employed one once. At Bandon and glad I did. I really enjoyed the freedom not to mention the course knowledge he provided. Green reading like DaveP talked about was a must. There were many times I had a putt read exactly opposite!!

I don't find anything odd or unusual about hiring a caddy for having a bag attendant available at the course. I don't store my bag at the club; so I enjoy one of the high school kids helping with my bag. I give them tips off and on. Especially after a round when they clean my irons. I appreciate it and so do they.

I don't think a large segment of forum member are low or "very low" handicappers. I'd wager that the MGS forum averages around 15. I carry a 4 right now but most of the guys I see and like in the forum are probably somewhat higher or... lower even. I'd love to play golf with any of them. Handicap doesn't matter who I enjoy playing with. I don't' think any of us think of each other by handicap. We're friends and love golf.

This is really a great post. If I enjoy playing with you, I don't care if you are a +4, a 9 or a 36. Your handicap doesn't make you a fun, kind person or not. And in that lies the reason for the handicap system. It makes it so I can be competitive with a +4 or a 36. It levels the playing field. It makes a round with anyone competitive (if you want it to be). Or you can just play for fun and enjoyment of the game and company. (My preferred method)

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I've had a caddie at Bandon Dunes and I will likely do it again.  They are quite knowledgeable and the experience is worth it.

I have also had a forecaddie at Coeur d'Alene Resort course in Idaho (required).  It was interesting, but totally unnecessary in my mind. Riding carts were cart path only and the forecaddie would laser your approach shots and yell the yardage to you so you knew what clubs to bring.  If you mishit the ball, you were screwed.  I would have rather walked than ride.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Cart Path Only as a permanent feature would have been enough to keep me away .

We had Cart Path Only as a situational thing because of conditions, and those were days that I took off.

Caddys---wait--caddies--Caddys are cars---

are great but more expensive than carts, especially if you tip reasonably, and then you have to walk anyway.  

Our club doesn't even have a caddy shack anymore.

My boy used to be my trolley-puller centuries ago.

Then we'd have something to eat and go to the movies or the batting cages.

I thought that it was a bonding thing.

Instead, it soured him on ever trying golf himself.

He claims that he enjoyed the after golf part., though.

Took one at Pinehurst #2 last season, it really added to the experience of the course, and the caddies were really good.

We are required to take a forecaddie or a caddie when we play at harbor town in a few weeks, I will do it, again it really adds to the experience and it will be fun. I will say this, if you plan on using s caddie, make sure to take a smaller bag and only put in it what you need for that round, it will make it much easier for the caddie.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

This is really a great post. If I enjoy playing with you, I don't care if you are a +4, a 9 or a 36. Your handicap doesn't make you a fun, kind person or not. And in that lies the reason for the handicap system. It makes it so I can be competitive with a +4 or a 36. It levels the playing field. It makes a round with anyone competitive (if you want it to be). Or you can just play for fun and enjoyment of the game and company. (My preferred method)

Great post. So true on all points.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Ive taken one several times at resort courses. Only subpar experience was one at The

I used to play Whistling Straits every year. On my first visit the caddies name was Chris. At the end he gave me his card and told me next year call me in advance if your time and I'll have them out me on your bag. Also im at Pinehurst all winter if you make it there, same thing. Give me a call.

Next year I called him prior to the WS trip. Sure enough thee he was at bag drop waiting on me.

He took one look at my bag and said, "what happened to those sweet Titleist Tour Models?l. Lol. Even back then my iron ways had a reputation. Ha

He continued to carry for me for the next three years I went up. I haven't been back in over 10 years.

I.sure miss that course.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Had caddies a few times. The young college kids are just OK, but if you get an older "pro" they are definitely worth the money for the stories alone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array F-2

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Had a caddy at Pinehurst # 2 or should I say I shared a caddy with my son don't ever let them do that to you we both payed for a caddy and the set mandatory tip since first caddy experience thought it was normal to have caddy carry 2 bags as it was set up in pro shop well I feel neither one of us got the experience

Guess I am in the minority here in that I have one for just about every round I play at my club. On weekends before 2 PM they are pretty much mandatory if you are walking. Makes for a fun round and I have two or three caddies that I use on a regular basis so they know my game pretty well. I am fairly easy in that I get my own yardages and read my own putts so it really is someone to carry the bag and chat with during the round.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

The only time I have had  caddie is Couer D' Alene.  Like Kenny said they are kind of a waste.. My FIL thought it was cool so it was well worth it.. I'm just too cheap to play courses that have them, for the most part.. LOL.. One of these days I'm going to have to  take SWMBO to Couer D' Alene, and she'll dig the caddie thing.. but not a huge fan.. There..... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.