MattF

Committed for the next 2 years

When we first moved to our current location, my wife asked if I was going to join the local country club.  I was leaving a situation where my membership was corporate and paid in full by my company.  My new situation, although better from a professional standpoint, didn't include golf privileges.  At first I was hesitant to join a club for the same reasons you mention, @MattF .  Playing the same course over and over seemed like a drag.

What I quickly learned was, the $620 yearly membership dues at the local country club allowed me plenty of financial leeway to afford to take a semi-monthly trip to Pinehurst.  For that price, you can't go wrong!  

Edited by sixcat
  • Like 4

Nice! I am looking to do the same thing this year. There is a 9-hole course 2 miles from my house that has a $256 yearly membership plus $125 for storage of my electric cart. I am hoping this will allow me to get out for a couple hours once or twice a week plus twice on the weekends after all more golf is better right!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Sounds like a great deal. The cost affords you the luxury of occasionally playing another course.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr_Theoo said:

How far is this from me?

Well, it's about 20 minutes from me, so about 2 hours or so from you.

Sounds like a great deal alright. At first I thought you meant $200/mo. But now I'm thinking it's $200 total for two years.!! Is that correct? I can't see how that works for the club exactly. I know it would certainly work for me but that's usually not the point of a business if you intend to remain a business. That's essentially free golf.  So for the next 24 months it will cost you $8.33/mo. to play all the golf you desire. What benefit is that for the club? That's chump change.

Don't get me wrong. Unbelievable deal and I'm glad you got it. It's the economics that I don't understand. 🤔

• Like 1

That sounds amazing. Whenever I read posts like this I get very sad about the cost of private memberships here in California...

• Like 3

That sounds amazing. Whenever I read posts like this I get very sad about the cost of private memberships here in California...
Same!

Heck, $200 a month would be a great deal here in NJ!
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Heck, $200 a month would be a great deal here in NJ!

You can't even get that kind of deal here at our local Bushwood. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Well, it's about 20 minutes from me, so about 2 hours or so from you.

That ain’t too bad for me to come up a couple times next season!

• Like 2

Course looks nice. Post some pics this summer when you’re out there!

• Like 1

Looks like a nice course! I, like @PlaidJacket don't understand how that price will get any ROI for the club. I must be missing something. Great deal for the consumer though! 

• Like 1

Sounds like a great deal alright. At first I thought you meant $200/mo. But now I'm thinking it's $200 total for two years.!! Is that correct? I can't see how that works for the club exactly. I know it would certainly work for me but that's usually not the point of a business if you intend to remain a business. That's essentially free golf.  So for the next 24 months it will cost you $8.33/mo. to play all the golf you desire. What benefit is that for the club? That's chump change.
Don't get me wrong. Unbelievable deal and I'm glad you got it. It's the economics that I don't understand. 
If I were to guess, they expect to make some money on carts and food. The only time I played there, I found a deal on golf now for $30 with a cart, so deals can be had there. It's also a fair distance away from "civilization", so that may factor into it too.

The course is also the home course for Kent State. I have no idea how those types of things work, but maybe Kent State is essentially subsidizing our rounds?

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Great deal @MattF, at first I thought it was about you being committed, and with your choice of headwear, not too surprising 😉

Playing the same course regularly should help your game, you can focus on playing rather than learning the course.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Great deal [mention=12972]MattF[/mention], at first I thought it was about you being committed, and with your choice of headwear, not too surprising
Playing the same course regularly should help your game, you can focus on playing rather than learning the course.

I don’t know I play my course regularly and often all that I get to focus on is 3 wood/hybrid. :)

• Like 3

As I alluded to in the 2019 Golf Objectives thread, here goes:

Got a HELL of a deal for golf for the next 2 years. Windmill Lakes in Ravenna, OH is running a deal for a limited number of memberships at $200 for 2 years unlimited golf, just pay $15 cart fee for 18 or $7.50 for 9. Play any time during the week and on weekends and holidays play after 11am. So, I'm now committed to playing at least once on the weekends once the season starts. 
Looks like I'll be buying a push cart. 

Chanin asked my last night if I wanted to do it and I initially said no, my reason is it's playing the same course (a tough one) all the time. BUT, after thinking it over last night and this morning I went for it as it now commits me to playing at least once per week (and more time permitting) while costing me pennies. No more hunting for deals, just book a tee time 3 days in advance and play. 🏌️♂️🏌️♂️

It’s on my list to play. I live half hour from Ravenna in Warren. Maybe we will cross paths this year.

• Like 2