Callaway - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR?

GolfSpy_X

personally i have never liked anything callaway, the only clubs i have used from them that is designed properly are the x prototype irons and wedges, i think all these club manufacturers are in system overload. maybe if they would focus on one or two lines of quality fitted products for all skill level's instead of releasing last year's crap that's touted as new and improved for your golfing woe's, they would get some where. the only technology that's come out in the past 5 year's that's really helped me is the shaft's and the adjustable driver's like the cobra s2 that i play.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!SAME HERE!!

• 3 weeks later...

What's driving Callaway into the ground (not that I care, I've never liked any of their product, and never had any of their product, save a few sleeves of HX Tour balls and the 64 degree X-forged vintage, in my bag) is that they have a constant stream of new product and much of it is identical or rebadged versions of what they already have. The only other company that's similar is Taylor Made is that they release as much as Callaway. The problem is, TMag changes the product and Callaway doesn't. TMag, I can say, does make changes from product to prodct, not just rebadging it. That does Callaway do? They rebadge the same thing as something different. Case in point, the new Razr Hawk Tour driver, it's a rebadged FT Tour. Why would they do that? Because Phil Mickelson kept playing the FT Tour even after they released umpteen drivers, so they obliged him, and put out the same "new" driver, which is really the FT Tour, with different badges. Consumers aren't stupid.

Then they make some crap up about their composite being the new titanium, except for the fact that it's the same old carbon fiber as before, they just market it different.

And they release 432 clubs a year. That's fine, except for the fact that none of them are new or revolutionary. TMag does this as well, but they also add technology, improvements, differences, what have you. Callaway adds another word to the name of theirs.

As a comparison, take a look at Ping. They've operated under the same business model for decades, and release a new line once a year or every two years for some clubs. Callaway has never dominated the market, and they never will with their business model. Sorry, but I won't be sad or care if Callaway is gone before long. Their product is kind of old hat at this point.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

They rebadge the same thing as something different. Case in point, the new Razr Hawk Tour driver, it's a rebadged FT Tour. Why would they do that? Because Phil Mickelson kept playing the FT Tour even after they released umpteen drivers, so they obliged him, and put out the same "new" driver, which is really the FT Tour, with different badges. Consumers aren't stupid

Eh?

Perhaps they are because I haven't seen anyone say that anywhere else before. Though it makes sense given the rave reviews the RH is getting and the good reviews the FT recieved

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Clubs will be made in China for the foreseeable future, 10 years at least. No way they get made any where else, save other 3rd world country. If they came back here the guys making them would be getting paid too much, $50+ an hour. Don't laugh, you know the unions would get in there. That wouyld make the current $399 driver prob $799+ if everyone makes the same margin on them as they do now.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Eh?

Perhaps they are because I haven't seen anyone say that anywhere else before. Though it makes sense given the rave reviews the RH is getting and the good reviews the FT recieved

Just look at pictures. Then compare them side by side in person.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Clubs will be made in China for the foreseeable future, 10 years at least. No way they get made any where else, save other 3rd world country. If they came back here the guys making them would be getting paid too much, $50+ an hour. Don't laugh, you know the unions would get in there. That wouyld make the current $399 driver prob $799+ if everyone makes the same margin on them as they do now.

I agree.

Heritage costs have taken much of American competitiveness away.

Shambles

From personal experience, working in a union shop is no guarantee of anything. Maybe if it was the NFLPA or Teamsters, but my union has given up a lot, including retirement benefits and wages (including a little "the company can do what it wants" clause, which doesn't sound like much, but really neuters the union's "power" in many situations), which we oblige because A ) we want to not be unemployed and B ) we want not to be unemployed. LOL... yeah, I said it twice, but it's that important. When your back's against the wall, you do what you have to do to make things work. Maybe some of those stodgy unions don't, but making a blanket statement about all of us is just wrong.

In my small microcosm of the auto industry, the two biggest automotive component plants in my area have both taken major concessions in an effort to maintain our companies "viability" (their word, not mine). And yet, more and more jobs are moving to Mexico and China. What's more, with all that cheap labor, the cost of new cars isn't going down. Some are going up, when you see the trucks and cars with the new-fangled bells and whistles (like cameras in the rear, extending side mirrors and bigger engines) Why is that? If it's made cheaper on the whole because of the foreign labor, shouldn't that cost be reflected onto consumers? Not at all- that money is being given to CEO's, marketing/advertising/sponsorships and being eaten by scrap and shipping costs. Also consider that the Toyotas and Hondas have more American component companies (according to our plant manager, because we've been trying to secure business with them), yet they offer the same type of vehicles at roughly the same price.

Does any of this sound just a little bit familiar?