Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Proper sequencing from takeaway thru follow thru. Ott swings. Generally come from clubs that get to far inside on the takeaway, have more arm/upper body swing vice using lower body.

athletic motion golf has some really good YouTube content to address all of this

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Different perspective here. Depends on your goals as a player and how bad your OTT is. Do you just hit a cut and want to hit a draw? Or are you a serious slicer of the ball? If your natural ball flight is left to right and manageable why not stick with that swing? If you have a serious slice you are trying to fix, you need to figure out the root cause to the problem. Are you really OTT and How did you confirm this?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

An OTT move does not mean that you can't play this game and play it well. @cnosil's questions are very good starting place. But the first thing that you may need is a lesson to diagnose the cause of the OTT. Honestly you could spend your whole golfing career searching for the cause and never find it. Once you have the cause there are numerous outlets to help. 

There is a gentleman of about 65 at my club he plays to a 9. I have watched him in the last 3 months spend almost everyday on the range trying to stop his OTT. He gets frustrated daily and in turn it becomes no fun.  In reality his move is good and he doesn't need to change it. But in his head it is the cause of his issues. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I am always fighting an over the top move and it's something that I continually work on.  For me, and it may be completely different for you, I need to feel as if I finish my backswing, back to the target, hands high with lead wrist flat or slightly bowed.  Halfway back, I want the clubface closed slightly, not toe up.  My hips must turn and not slide back and my shoulders need to turn as far as I can.  I do not try to keep my head from moving off the ball, but I do want to maintain my spine angle such that there is little to no up/down head movement going back.  For me, the transition is tough and I fight to not start the swing with my upper body.  I'm working on the initial move toward the target by moving my lead knee down and out as my lead hip turns behind me.  I want more of the weight in my lead foot to be towards the heel and I want very little movement of my hip toward the target.  I could never accomplish the bump the hip move without sliding, so I'm working on the knee/foot move as my trigger.    It's a work in progress and I still fight the over the top move, but it's somewhat manageable in that I don't have huge slices and my miss is typically a pull or a slight fade.  This sounds much more complicated writing it down and probably doesn't really make sense.  There are plenty of good videos out there that would explain it better than I just did.

As stated, you need to identify if you're coming over the top and if so, what is the fundamental position that is causing that move.  I would suggest that one or two lessons with your pro could fix this, or at least give you the info you need to practice and correct the move.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

This one hits home for me. I've been a left to right baller since the beginning, and I've always been over the top. My problem for a long time was over the top and open club face at impact. I've been much better at getting the club in a better position at impact and have been able to better match my out to in path with my club face. A few things helped me out. First and most importantly, I've accepted that I'm a fader. That is my natural swing. I've stopped trying to really produce a draw because it only makes my misses even more unpredictable.

One of the most obvious issues that I realized when I got myself on video was that I was much more inside on my take away than I realized. I've started doing the Ricky Fowler/ Justin Rose pre-shot routine for every swing and it has helped a lot. I've also been following a guy on YouTube by the name of George Gankas, channel is GG Swing Tips. Very high energy dude, but has a very interesting method about good take away and how to use the lower body to trigger a natural shallowing of the club in the downswing.

I am now working with a miss that's either a slight pull, or a fade that simply starts a little right of my intended line. I wouldsay GG Swing Tips has been a huge help if you can wrap your head around the movements he's promoting.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Archived