GolfSpy MPR

DeChambeau Getting Swole

You're making a lot of snap judgments based on an Instagram post that is obviously not showing more than just a fraction of his regime.

As an aside, Robert Oberst, a strongman competitor, has said in the past that unless you're deadlifting to get better at deadlifting, it's an exercise to avoid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

You're making a lot of snap judgments based on an Instagram post that is obviously not showing more than just a fraction of his regime.

As an aside, Robert Oberst, a strongman competitor, has said in the past that unless you're deadlifting to get better at deadlifting, it's an exercise to avoid.

First I’m going off his comments in that post and he makes no sense. You don’t get functional strength thru accessory isolation lifts. That comes thru strength training. You don’t build wrist strength thru bicep curls or tricep extensions. Chest/tricep dips don’t build functional strength they are an accessory lift. 

A lot of experts have debunked that statement about deadlifts. 

I personally don’t care what Bryson does on or off the course just pointing out his inconsistencies and craziness in that post and imo he says a lot of stuff to play up to the scientist persona. He is known as a troll on social media and imo he’s doing that here and based on the replies in that post he’s gotten a bunch to believe him and he was called out by others for the samething I’m pointing out and didn’t try to debunk their comments.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

follow several people on Instagram that have PhD in various disciplines around physical therapy, nutrition, strength training and some who are actual medical doctors.

Because following someone on social media works like osmosis... 🤦‍♂️

And the facial expression he is making while doing tricep extensions is not one anyone makes when using light weights.

Also a questionable reason for knowledge or judgement. If you've never made a sour face or looked like you were actually exerting effort during a workout then you're not fatiguing your muscles. The isolation work he's doing could very easily cause many people to make similar expressions.

Bryson likes to sound smart. He could have easily taken something his coach said and made it sound way more complicated and smart to fool people who follow him. Bryson is known for trolling.

This I can at least somewhat agree with, but it's also important to keep in mind that Bryson probably talks like this normally and that his word choices simply don't jive with that of most people. I'm personally not a huge fan of Bryson, but given the context of your original comment (which was in response to Bryson's Instagram comment) it seemed worth offering a different perspective. In fact, he's not wrong at all. Learning to do heavy bicep curls with your arms tucked into your sides won't make you significantly stronger when holding a 5lb dumbell with your arm fully extended. It can help some, but if holding a 5lb dumbell with your arm fully extended was your goal, you'd likely train differently - while possibly including some bicep curls. It's a bit more nuanced than you imply.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He says he wants to be functionally strong but yet he isn’t doing deadlifts and neither bicep curls or tricep extensions will help with functional strength although tricep extensions will have a better carry over into being able to press more weight and in another goal he stated to be like a gymnast

Actually he said he "add(s) gymnastics stuff" to his isolation work. I suspect he does this in lieu of heavy compound lifts and the movements would likely recruit multiple muscle groups while utilizing his own body weight which is probably more useful than deadlifting 400lbs. I think the final comment at the end about wanting to do the iron cross is a bit asinine, but if that's something he wants to be able to do then I say go for it.

IMG_5951.jpg.8d32bdefefec14e7dcce2634ca19e11f.jpg

as for adding muscle a newbie lifter under the right nutrition and strength training could had 10-20 lbs in the first year and after that muscle gain slows to 7-8lbs a year and lower as time progresses for natural lifters

If we were talking pure muscle gains then yes, you would be semi-correct. However, what he's talking about is total body mass and he stated in the comments that his body fat percentage has not changed. Naturally this means, that he'd also be adding some fat and water weight, but does not diminish his progress.

IMG_5952.jpg.94ca706799f5ab312d746d606205592b.jpg

Finally, as stated in the second half of the third paragraph of this article (https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html) it is possible for some gym newbies to see significant gains during the early stages of their training. I don't know anything about Bryson's experience with gyms and wieghtlifting prior to starting this program, but I could easily imagine that his current program is unlike anything he's done before and that his gains could possibly fall outside of normal ranges. Blanket statements very rarely apply to the individual because they rely on averages.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You don’t build wrist strength thru bicep curls or tricep extensions. Chest/tricep dips don’t build functional strength they are an accessory lift. 

Statements like this don't really do much to prove that you aren't in fact making snap judgements based on a social media post that shows what is likely just a small fraction of his total regiment. There are numerous reasons why his trainer might want him to do these particular exercises and none of us here in the MGS forums actually know them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Because following someone on social media works like osmosis... 🤦‍♂️

Also a questionable reason for knowledge or judgement. If you've never made a sour face or looked like you were actually exerting effort during a workout then you're not fatiguing your muscles. The isolation work he's doing could very easily cause many people to make similar expressions.

This I can at least somewhat agree with, but it's also important to keep in mind that Bryson probably talks like this normally and that his word choices simply don't jive with that of most people. I'm personally not a huge fan of Bryson, but given the context of your original comment (which was in response to Bryson's Instagram comment) it seemed worth offering a different perspective. In fact, he's not wrong at all. Learning to do heavy bicep curls with your arms tucked into your sides won't make you significantly stronger when holding a 5lb dumbell with your arm fully extended. It can help some, but if holding a 5lb dumbell with your arm fully extended was your goal, you'd likely train differently - while possibly including some bicep curls. It's a bit more nuanced than you imply.

Actually he said he "add(s) gymnastics stuff" to his isolation work. I suspect he does this in lieu of heavy compound lifts and the movements would likely recruit multiple muscle groups while utilizing his own body weight which is probably more useful than deadlifting 400lbs. I think the final comment at the end about wanting to do the iron cross is a bit asinine, but if that's something he wants to be able to do then I say go for it.

IMG_5951.jpg.8d32bdefefec14e7dcce2634ca19e11f.jpg

If we were talking pure muscle gains then yes, you would be semi-correct. However, what he's talking about is total body mass and he stated in the comments that his body fat percentage has not changed. Naturally this means, that he'd also be adding some fat and water weight, but does not diminish his progress.

IMG_5952.jpg.94ca706799f5ab312d746d606205592b.jpg

Finally, as stated in the second half of the third paragraph of this article (https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ask-the-ripped-dude-how-much-muscle-can-i-put-on-naturally.html) it is possible for some gym newbies to see significant gains during the early stages of their training. I don't know anything about Bryson's experience with gyms and wieghtlifting prior to starting this program, but I could easily imagine that his current program is unlike anything he's done before and that his gains could possibly fall outside of normal ranges. Blanket statements very rarely apply to the individual because they rely on averages.

I do more than follow I use them as resources to learn from along my journey but nice try.

i have never made a sour face on any accessory lift even when working to failure and I’ve never seen anyone I train with or who trains seriously  at the gym make one either. It’s the ones who Are trying to draw attention or look like they are doing something that make the faces or grunt when they are curling 25lb dumbbells.

the total body mass is what I addressed early in that he weight gain has been water weight and fat and very little muscle based on the article golf.com did saying it’s been a large gain in a short period of time and even if he’s trying to add muscle mass it’s not going to happen they way he has shown and when asked in the comments about his program he shared zero details.

anyways it’s a conversation going nowhere about an athlete I care very little bout and was purely commenting on the bs in his post 

5 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Statements like this don't really do much to prove that you aren't in fact making snap judgements based on a social media post that shows what is likely just a small fraction of his total regiment. There are numerous reasons why his trainer might want him to do these particular exercises and none of us here in the MGS forums actually know them.

As I stated those exercises have some carry over as does the training to full range of motion. But as also stated he has shared zero into what else he is doing and the few replies he made to people in the post don’t support his goal or anything serious. Even phil knows he’s probably bs’ng and threw in a comment about calves

No way is he an honest 220.  IMO, while adding muscle may help him hit the ball farther its not really going to matter because Bryson's mental game is weak.  He overthinks everything.

• Like 1

Phil threw in a comment about calves because he's an internet goof joking about how the internet blew up about his calves. That has literally nothing to do with the legitimacy of Bryson's regime.

None of what you've said in this thread in any way disproves that you're not just making snap judgments based on an Instagram post. You say you're reading his comments but then you're just taking them and confirming your own bias based on the 3 short videos and 1 pic that show barely anything of what his full training program is.

He's working with someone with a Master's degree in Physical Education with an emphasis on Exercise Science, who's also worked as a consultant for multiple professional sports team.

There's not one set way to improve one's fitness. Bryson's found someone with a program that works for him.

There are plenty of people who also think what Tom Brady is doing is a bunch of bogus and yet it's clearly working quite well for him.

Anyways, there's nowhere near enough insight available from that one post to be making the claims you've been making against his regime.

As I stated those exercises have some carry over as does the training to full range of motion. But as also stated he has shared zero into what else he is doing and the few replies he made to people in the post don’t support his goal or anything serious. Even phil knows he’s probably bs’ng and threw in a comment about calves

• Like 1

I now know what "swole" means; which I heard for the first time in this thread.  What happens when you don't have kids and live in a place where cattle and trout far exceed the bi-ped population 🙂.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Phil threw in a comment about calves because he's an internet goof joking about how the internet blew up about his calves. That has literally nothing to do with the legitimacy of Bryson's regime.

None of what you've said in this thread in any way disproves that you're not just making snap judgments based on an Instagram post. You say you're reading his comments but then you're just taking them and confirming your own bias based on the 3 short videos and 1 pic that show barely anything of what his full training program is.

He's working with someone with a Master's degree in Physical Education with an emphasis on Exercise Science, who's also worked as a consultant for multiple professional sports team.

There's not one set way to improve one's fitness. Bryson's found someone with a program that works for him.

There are plenty of people who also think what Tom Brady is doing is a bunch of bogus and yet it's clearly working quite well for him.

Anyways, there's nowhere near enough insight available from that one post to be making the claims you've been making against his regime.

I’ve said nothing against his regime because I don’t know anything they are doing. I’ve said everything against what he posted and replied to. He has share no insight to his actual programming even when asked for it. 

On 10/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, TR1PTIK said:

though he could use it as an excuse to try and hit the ball further

^ That's what I was thinking, also ... *IF* he can drive it both further AND accurately then that _should_ positively impact his scoring average.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

^ That's what I was thinking, also ... *IF* he can drive it both further AND accurately then that _should_ positively impact his scoring average.

Thats a big if.  Making serious changes to your body can have really negative effects on your swing.  Just look at what it did to David Duval.  He went from being one of the best golfers in the world when he was heavy to not even being able to make the cut.

I don't think it's that big an if with Bryson. His swing has so few moving parts that he should be able to adjust to changes to his body better than most.

Thats a big if.  Making serious changes to your body can have really negative effects on your swing.  Just look at what it did to David Duval.  He went from being one of the best golfers in the world when he was heavy to not even being able to make the cut.

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

Duval also suffered from a serious battle with vertigo 

• Like 1

Duval also suffered from a serious battle with vertigo 
True but it seems like most golfers who start out heavy and decide to lose the weight and get into the best shape of their life end up having to relearn their swing.
Tiger did it and got better and so did Koepka but those are the only ones I can think of.
Rory did it and his game kind of went to heck but I think that was more because he was hurt all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

True but it seems like most golfers who start out heavy and decide to lose the weight and get into the best shape of their life end up having to relearn their swing.
Tiger did it and got better and so did Koepka but those are the only ones I can think of.
Rory did it and his game kind of went to heck but I think that was more because he was hurt all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rory was training to help with a back condition he has which is what his injuries outside of the soccer one come from. Tiger changed his swing multiple times for various reasons and I don’t think brooks has changed his. 

duval was trying to hang with tiger and while he lost a bit of his swing it was the vertigo that took him out of the game before he could get things back on track.

Putting on that much muscle weight in such a short amount of time is crazy.  He better hope the PGA doesn't come knocking with PED testing.  He is not putting on 25 lbs of muscle in a few weeks.  If so, the NFL players and all other pro athletes and most of us would all be doing it as well.  I smell something cooking in his lab.

I watched Feherty's interview with Bryson yesterday.  He sure gets lots of negative flak for the mad scientist thing, shaft length, attire, etc., but I find him to be a pretty good guy.  Not sure when it was aired, but he seemed pretty stout. 

The next episode was Tony Finau... another great storyline and and even cooler cat.  He and his brother "Gipper" smacking balls into an old mattress in the garage with clubs purchased from the local thrift stores.  It's great learning about the background on tour players and Feherty does a really entertaining job doing it.

• Like 3

I watched Feherty's interview with Bryson yesterday.  He sure gets lots of negative flak for the mad scientist thing, shaft length, attire, etc., but I find him to be a pretty good guy.  Not sure when it was aired, but he seemed pretty stout. 
The next episode was Tony Finau... another great storyline and and even cooler cat.  He and his brother "Gipper" smacking balls into an old mattress in the garage with clubs purchased from the local thrift stores.  It's great learning about the background on tour players and Feherty does a really entertaining job doing it.
That one was back in March. I've always been fascinated by Bryson's approach to the game and I like him quite a bit. Yeah, he could stand to play a bit faster but he's far from the only slow guy on tour.

I've been a huge fan of Tony Finau for awhile now and his episode of Feherty only made me like him more. He's one of my favourite guys on tour. Easily in my top 5, if not top 3 favourite players.

• Like 1

Watching his performance live at Royal Melbourne... can't say it worked too well for my boy. Too much change in too short a period of time, so looked pretty rusty.

Hadwin was keeping up with the distance no problem.

Given that DeChambeau was already one of the longer players on tour, I would have thought his gains would have been for more control (Since able to hit at 80% rather than 90%)