GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: PING G710 Irons

Our Sponsors

[Placeholder]

[Placeholder]

I am posting here slightly early as I dont have the clubs yet and it might be a few weeks due to this horrible disease affecting everyone.

But I thought a quick write up on a fitting thats not a fitting, well not in the way we are all used to but sadly this might end up becoming the new normal for at least the foreseeable future or until a vaccine is found.

Thanks to MGS and Ping for this opportunity and for working out a way to try and keep everything moving when it's so easy to just wait until someone else comes up with a solution to this pandemic!

So instead of a personal fitting in a Ping centre one on one, I would have a zoom fitting with a Ping Master Fitter from Arizona. I chose a time based on an email they sent, then I sent a couple of videos of my swing face on and DTL by email to help with how I load the shaft (Pings request). All set up with zoom on my phone I clicked the link on their email and it connected to the meeting and waited for the host to log in. James Lee logged in and I could see him chatting away but couldnt hear him, he couldnt hear me either I think, so I used the chat function to tell him. After 10 minutes of chatting about settings etc (all were fine both sides) I asked him to call me on my cell and I would view him via zoom on my pc which doesnt have a camera or mic. James tried and eventually told me it was blocked to make a cell call. I think its because of different continents that Ping block audio and cell calls. Anyway, we cracked on with him talking, me seeing him on my pc and me typing answers to the questions he asked which I could hear😂

We had basically taken an already strange fitting experience via video to a new level and even stranger scenario 😯😆 James was talking to a monitor and I was frantically typing as fast as I could. Is this the new norm? I don't like it!

Fortunately with the videos I had sent and the specs he agreed that the Nippon Modus3 105 shafts in 'S' were a good fit for me even though the web fit wanted 'X', but thats because of my SS I think, if it knew my age it would recommend Senior or ladies 😂

With all tech working both ways I think this would be 50% off the way to a decent fitting, key areas of ball flight, feel, ball speed, AoA, distance etc wont be there and I know thats key for many, but if you want clubs asap and want some expert opinion on what's good for you and your swing, this is as close as we are going to get these days.

I'm sure ball flight could be tweaked once you have the clubs if you needed a higher or lower launch and flight, any good fitter could make that tweak and I'm sure Ping would support that, worth asking during your zoom fitting and before buying, but based on the usual excellent Ping customer experience I cant see this being an issue, but check first.

Anyway, I await my new 'fitted' clubs with eager anticipation and I will of course feedback how they really are based on a strange but pleasant encounter with a fitter socially distanced not by 2 metres but by a different continent!

• Like 3

That is a high quality group of testers right there! I can’t wait to read your thoughts. Hopefully the courses stay open for you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Congrats testers!  Cannot wait to see how these do for you.  Go get 'em!

• Like 3

Super excited for the opportunity guys. I hope to being you my typical joy and opinions and information! Thanks again to the forum and Ping for giving me this opportunity!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Congratulations fellas! The G710's are a beautiful club and one of the most exciting ones ( to me ) to debut this year. I'm really excited to see how they perform for each of you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Congrats you lucky dogs! Can't think of a better group to put these clubs though the mill.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Awesome! Congrats gentlemen!

• Like 2

Hey now @Berg Ryman congrats bro. Pumped to see how these work for you.

• Like 1

Congrats! This is a great group of testers!

• Like 3

Congrats to the testers. Put em through the paces. Looking forward to reading the results

• Like 2

Congrats guys, a great group of golfers from all over 👏👏😁😎.

This is a test I will be following with great interest.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Hey now @Berg Ryman emoji1598.png congrats bro. Pumped to see how these work for you.

Guess once everything opens the long rumored meetup might have to happen

• Like 3

Guess once everything opens the long rumored meetup might have to happen

I agree. Timber Banks let’s make it happen.