Wedge Setup  

240 members have voted

1. 1. How many wedges (of any sort) do you have in your bag?

• 5 or more
  2. 2. How many of your wedges match your iron set?

• Just PW
    • PW and GW/AW
    • 3 or more
  3. 3. How many different brands of clubs are represented in your wedges?

• 5 or more

Our Sponsors

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me think. Why do I have a 58* wedge when I can easily open up a for flops and turn it down for a numb and run? I’m starting wonder why an amateur needs a 54 and 58 wedge when I can’t devote the time to practice with either. I’m thinking of going with just a 56 and then next up would be my 50 gap. I also play one length and love it. The standard length wedges are so short too that I never feel confident when a full shot. Would going from 50 to 56* too much of a gap? Anyone else have this thought? Or am I just crazy? Also anyone tried out the new cobra MIM wedge?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

Utility Iron- Ping G Crossover 3

Utility Iron- Ping G Crossover 4

Irons- Cobra F8 One Length 5-G

Wedges- TM Milled grind 54* and 58*

Putter- Tommy Armour Impact No3 CB

I don't think there is anything wrong with this approach as long as you can hit your desired distances.  

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I really like the MIM Black wedge... I'm giving them serious consideration since you can get them with a high bounce... good looking wedges to me.

• Like 1

Two thoughts on your question.

First, what's lacking at the top of the bag?  When you said you played one-lengths, I was surprised to see the Ping Crossovers in the bag.  I would have guessed hybrids. I've tried the Cobra one-length hybrids and was surprised to see how closely they matched the distances in my full length hybrids while being SUPER EASY to hit and control. Outside of one length, have also found the Ping G410 hybrids to be long and forgiving. and since adjustable you can really dial in the lofts to create good gapping.  Suspect the yardage gaps between the two current crossovers are pretty close.

Second on wedges, agree that the 58 might be a nice to have vs a need to have.  The key for me in wedges is to be sure both of those high lofts have different bounce properties.  One with high bounce and one with low.  For me my 56 (bent to 55) is my mid bounce that is my go-to in sand.  My 60 has very little bounce which is great off firm tight lies.  I can also lay it open if I am short sided and really need to flop.  I could easily have less bounce on the 56 and lay it off and more on the 60 then use it in sand.

Hope that helps. Hit 'em straight

• Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 9* Atmos Tour Spec Black 6s 45"

:nickent-small:  17* and 20* Hybrids Aldila NVS

:macgregor-small:  VIP V-foil 1025c 4-P True Temper 120g ProPel Lite 2* flat, 1* strong

:cleveland-small:  CG10 52* (bent 50*) and 56 (bent 55*)

:mizuno-small:   MpTseries 60* Raw Haze

:ping-small:   Faith Wack-E 32"

:taylormade-small:TP5 ball

:titelist-small: Stand bag

This is really up to the individual. I personally dont make alot of full shots with a SW or LW so I would not care about gaps too much. If you are only using a 56 degree around the greens, the question would be more what is your hole proximity hitting different shots with that wedge. Some people like using just one wedge around the green. You develop a sense of familiarity just using one club in play and practice. However, you are really limiting versatility. Keep in mind that when you close or hood a wedge you are reducing the bounce. A hooded 56 with 8 degrees on bounce plays much differently than a neutral 54 with 8 degrees. Likewise for opening the face. Like others have mentioned, I also prefer to use a mid to high bounce SW and a lower bounce LW. Gives you more options on shot types from different lies. 

• Like 3

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

IMO, most people dont need a 58 or 60 and probably shouldnt even be carrying one because it tempts you to hit high risk shots that you simply shouldnt be trying to hit.

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 7/2/2020 at 8:31 PM, twyatt700 said:

So I’ve been really trying to get my clubs paired down, since using arccos I’ve found that I have a weakness from 3w to 5i and with my up and down performance around the green. It started to make me think. Why do I have a 58* wedge when I can easily open up a for flops and turn it down for a numb and run? I’m starting wonder why an amateur needs a 54 and 58 wedge when I can’t devote the time to practice with either. I’m thinking of going with just a 56 and then next up would be my 50 gap. I also play one length and love it. The standard length wedges are so short too that I never feel confident when a full shot. Would going from 50 to 56* too much of a gap? Anyone else have this thought? Or am I just crazy? Also anyone tried out the new cobra MIM wedge?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Great you are playing single length and you like them. Question. Are you considering the 56 to be the same length as the 50 deg? 

Great you are playing single length and you like them. Question. Are you considering the 56 to be the same length as the 50 deg? 

I was considering going slightly shorter to make it more workable. But I’ve realized I just need to go see a club fitter to make sure. I was trying the budget- do it yourself thing for the last few years and basically have realized I just need to get a professionals eyes on what I got. Luckily I have a really good fitting center right down the road, just need to find the time to get over there.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

Two thoughts on your question.

First, what's lacking at the top of the bag?  When you said you played one-lengths, I was surprised to see the Ping Crossovers in the bag.  I would have guessed hybrids. I've tried the Cobra one-length hybrids and was surprised to see how closely they matched the distances in my full length hybrids while being SUPER EASY to hit and control. Outside of one length, have also found the Ping G410 hybrids to be long and forgiving. and since adjustable you can really dial in the lofts to create good gapping.  Suspect the yardage gaps between the two current crossovers are pretty close.

Second on wedges, agree that the 58 might be a nice to have vs a need to have.  The key for me in wedges is to be sure both of those high lofts have different bounce properties.  One with high bounce and one with low.  For me my 56 (bent to 55) is my mid bounce that is my go-to in sand.  My 60 has very little bounce which is great off firm tight lies.  I can also lay it open if I am short sided and really need to flop.  I could easily have less bounce on the 56 and lay it off and more on the 60 then use it in sand.

Hope that helps. Hit 'em straight

Yeah I’ve been a little impulsey on my purchases. Truthfully, I have never been fit but used to play baseball and was a hitting instructor in college. My job now involves a lot on human body movement and mechanics so I have tried the do it yourself model to save money and the time to get fit. I’m now realizing my folly lol.

But basically I couldn’t hit the hybrid I had, found a good deal online for the crossover, loved it bought another one with a stronger loft, but they basically go the same distance, at least not enough distance change to need both and still have the gap between my OL 5i.

My course was selling the Titelist 818 hybrids for $90 just to clear them out so I picked that up.. so I now I’m just going to got to a fitter to get the 4i figured out. 5i goes 180 ish and the hybrid is 210 so still an issue but better than before. The fitting center close to me said they can adjust my current set up too to help with some of the lost distance on the 5 and 6.

Im thinking I might just have my 58 bent down to 59 ish and lengthened slightly and go with a little shorter length on the MIM and have the fitting bent to 55. I like the idea of even gaps in loft. Either way Tony has finally convinced my to get fitted.

• Like 1

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

IMO, most people dont need a 58 or 60 and probably shouldnt even be carrying one because it tempts you to hit high risk shots that you simply shouldnt be trying to hit.

That’s basically my thinking... but when it does work its freaking awesome!!

• Like 2

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

This is really up to the individual. I personally dont make alot of full shots with a SW or LW so I would not care about gaps too much. If you are only using a 56 degree around the greens, the question would be more what is your hole proximity hitting different shots with that wedge. Some people like using just one wedge around the green. You develop a sense of familiarity just using one club in play and practice. However, you are really limiting versatility. Keep in mind that when you close or hood a wedge you are reducing the bounce. A hooded 56 with 8 degrees on bounce plays much differently than a neutral 54 with 8 degrees. Likewise for opening the face. Like others have mentioned, I also prefer to use a mid to high bounce SW and a lower bounce LW. Gives you more options on shot types from different lies. 

Yeah I played a vokey 56 and 60 for a while and when I wore them down to smooth and switched lofts to close the gap to my gap wedge and arccos tells me the wedge game is slipping. I really do best with a bump and run. I notice that I start to get in trouble when I try to get too cute. When I had a 56 I had no trouble with really opening it up for a flop. Less is more sometimes 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

9 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

That’s basically my thinking... but when it does work its freaking awesome!! emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Hey, I hear you.  I used to carry a 60 and loved hitting flop shots with it.  I practiced with it all the time and got to where I was halfway decent with it but it went bad more often than not and Ive since pulled the 60 out of the bag in favor of just carrying a 56 and I dont miss the 60.

• Like 2

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have only carried a 56 but was thinking about when I get fit for my next set of irons that I go ahead and get fit for wedges too. Was thinking either 54/58 or 56/60 whatever fit my gaps better. Now I'm questioning whether I need a lob wedge or just keep with the 56. Top of my bag is fine- Dr, 3 wood, 3 Hybrid. Biggest gap is between my 3 hybrid and 3 wood but I rarely face a distance between those clubs on the course.

What do you all typically use out of the sand? 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: G20 CFS stiff 4-GW

:mizuno-small: 56* spinner shaft

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore or Snell MTBx

On 7/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, twyatt700 said:

Would going from 50 to 56* too much of a gap? Anyone else have this thought?

I just recently took my 3i out to make room for a 50, 54, 58 setup, but before that I had gone about 15 years with a 52, 58 setup. 52 was for pitching and chipping and pretty much anything inside 100. 58 was for flops, 50/50 chips, and sand. Basically never hit my 58 with a full swing.

I kept this two-wedge setup when I got new irons two years ago without considering that in my new setup, my PW was a stronger loft, and I started having some issues between 130 and 100 yards (and was having a hard time flighting my PW accordingly). Still working out some kinks with the new setup and finding I'm more comfortable with the 54 than the 50, but it's getting there.

Ultimately, as seems to be pretty popular around here, it's about your game and your gapping. And, of course, thinking about the types of courses you play and what kind of grind/bounce you need for those conditions.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Survey is flawed, question 2 does not have a choice for the wedges not matching any other brand in the bag.  Neither of mine do.

• Haha 1

Verified Hack, 31 handicap (for now) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Rawlings Fairway Lies driver, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids (10, 15, 19, 27 loft), Ginty trouble club (29 loft)

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Confidence 9i, Worx hybrid wedge (55 loft), Lovett hybrid wedge (59 loft)

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: Nitro Crossfire   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

On 7/2/2020 at 9:31 PM, twyatt700 said:

I’ll hang up and listen.

I have gamed 4 wedges for awhile now (PW 45, GW -50, SW 55, LW 60), as I use those clubs way more than I would use a 5W or 2I/Hybrid.  I might use my 4 iron once a round as our par 4s aren't very long, but 3 of  our par 3s are in the 200 yd range. 

With my 4 wedges, I prefer my 60 for sand shots, and 55 for most other shots around the green.  I'll use my PW or GW if I need to run the ball up a slope.  

Arccos is telling me the opposite.  After some recent changes on the top end of my bag my gaps have tightened with one exception.  My 5 iron is a club that is not being used much now and it has a lot of distance overlap with the 6 iron. Also, I seem to have a gap on the low end of my bag.  Seriously considering going from 4 to 5 wedges to tighten things up and dropping the 5 iron. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5

Tour Edge EX 10 - 16.5

Tour Edge XCG7 - 21

Titleist 818 H1 - 25

Titleist AP3 5-48

Vokey SM7 54 & 60 10S

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BRX

Arccos is telling me the opposite.  After some recent changes on the top end of my bag my gaps have tightened with one exception.  My 5 iron is a club that is not being used much now and it has a lot of distance overlap with the 6 iron. Also, I seem to have a gap on the low end of my bag.  Seriously considering going from 4 to 5 wedges to tighten things up and dropping the 5 iron. 

I might be in the same boat. I just frustrated in general with my swing. I’ve been doing the super speed program and now I’m just out of sync. I’m looking forward to going to the fitter then getting a few lesson to help me get this figured out. I got to a 5 with the do it yourself method but now have been regressing a lot in the pursuit of speed and trying to correct my over the top move... i don’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️ maybe should just live with the swing that works and forget trying to “fix” my swing.

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9

That might be my problem too. I don’t really hit my 5 much. Maybe the solution is do the Bryson and bomb it and then just hit wedge in every time!

Driver- Cobra F8+

3-Wood- Cobra F9