Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Impact of height/limb length on distance?

Do you think that height and limb length has an impact on distance potential? I know Rory and Rickie are on the shorter side, but they are still about the average height of a male in the US.

Are any of you that are on the shorter side long hitters? I am 5'5" with shoes on with short legs. For me, if I catch one, i can get a ball out to 260 to 270 with roll.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

All things being equal except for the length of limbs the answer is yes.   Longer limbs make for longer levers and potential for getting the head to move faster.   That doesn't mean all short limbed players will be shorter than long limbed players;  you still have to swing the clubs and generate the speed.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

All things being equal except for the length of limbs the answer is yes.   Longer limbs make for longer levers and potential for getting the head to move faster.   That doesn't mean all short limbed players will be shorter than long limbed players;  you still have to swing the clubs and generate the speed.   

Makes sense. I feel like I am at a disadvantage, but then also use that as the "chip on my shoulder" to try to hit the ball farther.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5’7” here and I’m in the 280-300 depending on conditions and roll. I’m one of the shorter guys in my group of buddies but I am one of the longest. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Yes and no, all depends on how much body weight you transfer to the club. I have a mate Steve who is 6' and one Rob that is 5.5'. Steve has a controlled swing where Rob puts everything in to it, almost all his weight is on his front foot when he makes contact and he usually out drives Steve. Interestingly, there swing speeds are similar.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

In general, definitely yes.

There's a reason most pitchers in pro baseball are tall. And I think you'd generally find a positive correlation between height and club distances on Tour (or just golfers in general.) Sort of like how a driver at 45" has potentially more club head speed than one at 43", longer arms can have a similar effect.

But like you said, there are exceptions like Rory and Rickie - so it's not a hard and fast truth. They're gifted and probably have a lot of speed due to coordination, training, talent, and likely a healthy proportion of fast twitch muscle fibers. Your own distance sounds quite respectable, for sure. I'm also on the shorter side, and can honestly say I'm longer than average, but by no means would I consider myself "long".

Yes and no, all depends on how much body weight you transfer to the club. I have a mate Steve who is 6' and one Rob that is 5.5'. Steve has a controlled swing where Rob puts everything in to it, almost all his weight is on his front foot when he makes contact and he usually out drives Steve. Interestingly, there swing speeds are similar.

Sorry, but this doesn’t make much sense to me; explain more in this. The both swing differently to achieve the same swing speed. Have never seen “body weight” as a variable to increase distance other than referencing ground forces and how much you are pushing off the ground. That gets them to the same speed; Their difference in distance would be the result of things like angle of attack, spin, launch angle, swing path.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've played with 14 y.o. juniors who are 2/3 my weight and about half a head shorter (I'm 180cm) and they still bomb it 40 yards past my ball.

All things being equal, yes, physique will provide a slight edge, but technique will still beat the bigger guys.

Isn't JT the longest hitter pound for pound?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

52 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

I've played with 14 y.o. juniors who are 2/3 my weight and about half a head shorter (I'm 180cm) and they still bomb it 40 yards past my ball.

All things being equal, yes, physique will provide a slight edge, but technique will still beat the bigger guys.

Isn't JT the longest hitter pound for pound?

JT might be but Ricky and Rory are probably close.  I don’t know if I trust the pga tour bio since they have rickie listed at 5’9”. I stood next to him at Congressional with his golf shoes on and he barely hit 5’8”. They have jt listed as 10 lbs heavier than rickie there. They have 4” difference between them and only 7 yard difference in driving avg. Rory listed as 5’10 160 and he’s about 11 yards longer than JT  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Being taller and having longer limbs should be an advantage because it gives you more of a mechanical advantage with the club and being bigger means that you can pack on more muscle without it effecting your flexibility.  Thats why you see some players like DJ who arent all that big muscle wise but are long and lean and hit the ball a mile.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Sorry, but this doesn’t make much sense to me; explain more in this. The both swing differently to achieve the same swing speed. Have never seen “body weight” as a variable to increase distance other than referencing ground forces and how much you are pushing off the ground. That gets them to the same speed; Their difference in distance would be the result of things like angle of attack, spin, launch angle, swing path.

I have always been taught that body weight transfer is how you get distance. For example Steve swing is allot more upright - his clubs are 1.5* up and he generates speed mainly by the length of his levers and at contact Steve has his weight on front foot and the transfer is smooth,  where Rob has a flatter swing, his clubs are 2* down and his weight transfer is quite violent, he has both feet almost of the ground when hitting driver. 

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

30 minutes ago, Firebird said:

I have always been taught that body weight transfer is how you get distance. For example Steve swing is allot more upright - his clubs are 1.5* up and he generates speed mainly by the length of his levers and at contact Steve has his weight on front foot and the transfer is smooth,  where Rob has a flatter swing, his clubs are 2* down and his weight transfer is quite violent, he has both feet almost of the ground when hitting driver. 

From my understanding the body can generate speed through rotation, lateral shift and vertically from the ground.   Where I get lost is you say they get "distance" from the weight transfer.   Distance is based on clubhead speed and if the two golfers you discuss have the exact same club head speed,  spin, AoA, etc. they would hit the ball the same distance no matter how they generated the speed.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

From my understanding the body can generate speed through rotation, lateral shift and vertically from the ground.   Where I get lost is you say they get "distance" from the weight transfer.   Distance is based on clubhead speed and if the two golfers you discuss have the exact same club head speed,  spin, AoA, etc. they would hit the ball the same distance no matter how they generated the speed.  

I gotta agree with @cnosil on this one. The extra weight transfer is what may get him to the same swing speed  but that isn’t the reason he is out driving the other guy. There is some other variable responsible for the extra distance. Smash factor, spin, launch, or even more mass in the club head is probably what is helping Rob out drive Steve. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Physics says longer levers equal more speed.  However, as others have pointed out, there are a lot of other factors that come into play.  A player who is 6'4" has more potential for developing speed than one that is 5'7", but it should be harder for the taller player to hit the center of the club face each time.  His longer arc will mean that small errors will cause larger variations than the same mistakes committed by a shorter player.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I know a guy that was/is maybe 5'7''. He was/is  a "legend" at my home course. He could/can  drive the ball 300+ yards without even trying. He could drive the ball from sitting in a chair almost to the green on the #1 hole  which is 305 yards. So..... I don't know...lol.  Some people just have whatever "it" is to be able to do that??? I'm certainly not one of them!

Edited by silver & black

This is more a hypothetical exercise but here goes...

If you have 2 almost identical players, meaning swing type, perfect mechanics, weight transfer, everything...but one has arms that are 2 inches longer.  The guy with 2 inch longer limbs will hit the ball further. 

But in the real world, there are no 2 identical players, you have to consider everything else.  It is just one thing that goes into the distance equation. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

• 3 weeks later...

If 2 guys swing the same speed and hit the same spot on the face, their distance will be equal.

Why do “little guys” like JT, Rickie, and Rory bomb it like DJ? They swing as fast as DJ, and also hit the center of the face. Might they have to swing “harder” to swing as fast as DJ? Maybe: or they might just come from more inside to out and hit up on the ball, maximizing their distance, and DJ and Brooks hit cuts/fades trying to gain accuracy...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2020 at 1:17 PM, dlow206 said:

I am 5'5" with shoes on with short legs.

After reading all of the responses on this thread, my conclusion is that people always try to attribute excellence to something they don't have. 

Height, strength, flexibility, limb length or any other characteristic that someone doesn't have could become the focus of a shortcoming. 

The old saying, "the grass is greener on the OTHER side of the street" applies. 

More likely, access to top trainers, coaches, fitted equipment, and endless time to focus on golf all contribute to distance gains when mixed with their raw talent. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg