2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

Our Sponsors

I was able to give these a quick try as part of a check to see how my back/shoulder is doing.  I have to admit that I honestly wasn't impressed at all.  I compared it to the RTX 4 that I tested last fall for MGS, and I noticed that the Zipcore has a really distinctive click to them.  Just my initial thoughts were these are trying to copy what the SM7's did with moving the weight to the high toe.  I felt that I wasn't able to spin the Zipcore's as much some of the other wedges out on the market this year, especially the TM Milled Grind 2.  Once I'm fully rehabbed again, I can try to give it a better test, but unfortunately, I didn't see much improvement over the RTX 4 in terms of spin and greenside control.

• Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new wedge actually came in last Thursday night but I couldn't play with it until we adjusted the shaft length. My husband helped me and we trimmed it down 1" Friday night. It took until today for m

I'm not accomplished enough as a player to hit all or even most shots consistently to be able to answer this but I wanted to know also. In the past most of my shots to the green had quite a bit of rol

Got out to the Range yesterday. Did a little Chipping and hit some Full shots.. Here it is compared the the Cobra King Black wedge both are in 58* Mid Bounce/Versatile..  It Seems to be sli

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

I was able to give these a quick try as part of a check to see how my back/shoulder is doing.  I have to admit that I honestly wasn't impressed at all.  I compared it to the RTX 4 that I tested last fall for MGS, and I noticed that the Zipcore has a really distinctive click to them.  Just my initial thoughts were these are trying to copy what the SM7's did with moving the weight to the high toe.  I felt that I wasn't able to spin the Zipcore's as much some of the other wedges out on the market this year, especially the TM Milled Grind 2.  Once I'm fully rehabbed again, I can try to give it a better test, but unfortunately, I didn't see much improvement over the RTX 4 in terms of spin and greenside control.

I haven’t compared it to RTX4 but I have compared it to my over two year old Mac Daddy 4 and to the SM8 in launch monitor and it gets no more spin than either.  Most surprising is it isn’t getting more spin that clubs over two years old!

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

18 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Funny, a friend of mine made the exact same comparison to the SM7s. After more range time and another round with the ZipCore wedge, I feel like they're not a crazy leap forward in technology coming from the RTX 4, and to be honest I'd give the nod to my RTX 4s in terms of overall performance. I'll explain more in my review, and I'm certainly not bashing the ZipCores, but for me they've been underwhelming. 

• Like 6

Ping G410 LST 9º | Tensei CK Orange 70 X
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW | Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 54 Mid, 60 Mid | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5

I played a full round Sunday with my Grandson and had a great day. 1st time I really got to us these on the course.. As someone who normally does not get a lot of stop on my wedges these wedges created some problems for me. typically play short of the flag and let the ball release, well that did not happen. I left several shots Shorter than I wanted.. On a couple of full shots the Ball went NOWHERE.. literally, No where.. this 1st shot was a full 58* from about 70yds into the 1st green. As you can see it slammed on the Brakes.

20200830_094852.jpg.eb9e03940a3f9c80978d9c398cae6abc.jpg

this was to about 15ft. missed the birdie, but made par. 

on the 6th hole from about 65yds, another full wedge in as you can see it bounced and stopped into it's own ball mark..  Birdie.. 

20200830_105737.jpg.49f98ea7858fff0f3f7535ecfb8e553d.jpg

I had several chips that one or two hopped and checked up.. that left longer putts than i was hoping for. The clickyness was less noticeable while playing, but he weight was more apparent, Could have been my back.  Back started getting stiff on back 9 as we were waiting a lot, But still VERY happy with the round.. best all around round in the last 6-7 rounds..   All in all it was a great day, went 38/46 for an 84. 

• Like 6

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

4 hours ago, Reesedw said:

I played a full round Sunday with my Grandson and had a great day. 1st time I really got to us these on the course.. As someone who normally does not get a lot of stop on my wedges these wedges created some problems for me. typically play short of the flag and let the ball release, well that did not happen. I left several shots Shorter than I wanted.. On a couple of full shots the Ball went NOWHERE.. literally, No where.. this 1st shot was a full 58* from about 70yds into the 1st green. As you can see it slammed on the Brakes.

20200830_094852.jpg.eb9e03940a3f9c80978d9c398cae6abc.jpg

this was to about 15ft. missed the birdie, but made par. 

on the 6th hole from about 65yds, another full wedge in as you can see it bounced and stopped into it's own ball mark..  Birdie.. 

20200830_105737.jpg.49f98ea7858fff0f3f7535ecfb8e553d.jpg

I had several chips that one or two hopped and checked up.. that left longer putts than i was hoping for. The clickyness was less noticeable while playing, but he weight was more apparent, Could have been my back.  Back started getting stiff on back 9 as we were waiting a lot, But still VERY happy with the round.. best all around round in the last 6-7 rounds..   All in all it was a great day, went 38/46 for an 84. 

It is hard adjusting to getting spin. I had this issue with going to new wedges recently. Is your lack of spin on your other wedges because they are older and the grooves being not what they used to be or is it how you hit shots?

• Like 2

I got out for a round on Saturday....it was HOT! 118* Heat index!!

I hit 9 shots with my 50* RTX ZipCore wedge (I purposely laid up to 110 yards on all 4 par 5’s)

I had 6 full swing shots including one on a par 3 that was playing 113 yards to the front pin.

I also hit 3 knockdown 3/4 swing shots from various yardages.

1st hole is a reachable par 5 but I’m testing wedges not Fairway woods...so I laid up to 112 yards. Perfect lie right in the middle of the fairway....pin was tucked on the left side about 15 feet over a very deep bunker. Lined up just right of the flag and made a nice smooth pass at the ball.....it launched very high with a slight draw....it landed about 6 feet right just short of pin high....the ball took one hop and rolled out about 9 feet past the pin...from the strike and the perfect lie I was surprised that I didn’t get more spin.

4th hole was 113 yard par 3 over water, hit a nice crisp shot but blocked it right and ended up in a bunker short sided (blocked shots are a reoccurring issue for me with this club I’m chalking it up to being shorter and flatter lie than I normally play)

6th hole I had 77 yards to a back pin after hooking my tee shot into the trees and having to punch out. I played the ball off my back foot and took a 3/4 swing with a short follow through......got a nice tree top high trajectory that landed 25 foot short...took 2 bounces and rolled out to 6 feet and I made the putt to save my par

7th hole is a par 5, I laid up to 106 yards...pin was on the back half on top of a small ridge. Hit a perfect high baby fade that landed on the top shelf took 1 hop and stopped dead leaving me a 7 footer for birdie ( we won’t mention if I made the putt or not )

9th hole I had 91 yards after piping a drive on a short par 4. normal stance 3/4 swing...crap there is the block to the right again!.....missed the green and the ball ran down the slope into some think rough

10th hole I hit a fairway bunker and was only able to advance it about 60 yards so I had 116 yards to a front pin that was just in front of a big slope so it gave me a backboard. I hit probably the best shot with this wedge so far....high baby draw..went right over the flag hit the slope and spun back down almost going in!! I had a 5 inch tap in for par.

12th hole another reachable par 5 but we are laying up today...ended up with 107 to a middle pin with no real trouble...so what happens....yep you guessed it, another block to the right....I did catch the green but I was 40 feet away...not what I expect with a scoring club in my hand.

16th hole I hit a 3w off the tee on a short par 4 leaving myself 88 yards to a front pin.....moved the ball back hit the 3/4 swing with the abbreviated follow through...landed it just short and and it rolled out to 4 feet and I made the birdie

18th hole is a long par 5 with the green protected front and left by water and 3 bunkers on the right...it’s a tough finishing hole.

I had 105 to the flag was back lef, hit a nice high shot that was slightly blocked right...hit the center of the green with about 25 feet left.

All together it was a good outing with the RTX ZipCore wedge...good consistent contact, I’m not really seeing tons of spin but when the heat index is *110+ the greens dry out a lot, the blocks are coming from the setup...I need to get it in to my club guy to swap out shafts and adjust the lie angle.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I got out for a round on Saturday....it was HOT! 118* Heat index!!

I hit 9 shots with my 50* RTX ZipCore wedge (I purposely laid up to 110 yards on all 4 par 5’s)

I had 6 full swing shots including one on a par 3 that was playing 113 yards to the front pin.
I also hit 3 knockdown 3/4 swing shots from various yardages.

1st hole is a reachable par 5 but I’m testing wedges not Fairway woods...so I laid up to 112 yards. Perfect lie right in the middle of the fairway....pin was tucked on the left side about 15 feet over a very deep bunker. Lined up just right of the flag and made a nice smooth pass at the ball.....it launched very high with a slight draw....it landed about 6 feet right just short of pin high....the ball took one hop and rolled out about 9 feet past the pin...from the strike and the perfect lie I was surprised that I didn’t get more spin.

4th hole was 113 yard par 3 over water, hit a nice crisp shot but blocked it right and ended up in a bunker short sided (blocked shots are a reoccurring issue for me with this club I’m chalking it up to being shorter and flatter lie than I normally play)

6th hole I had 77 yards to a back pin after hooking my tee shot into the trees and having to punch out. I played the ball off my back foot and took a 3/4 swing with a short follow through......got a nice tree top hit trajectory that landed 25 foot short...took 2 bounces and rolled out to 6 feet and I made the putt to save my par

7th hole is a par 5, I laid up to 106 yards...pin was on the back half on top of a small ridge. Hit a perfect high baby fade that landed on the top shelf took 1 hop and stopped dead leaving my a 7 footer for birdie ( we won’t mention if I made the putt or not )

9th hole I had 91 yards after piping a drive on a short par 4. normal stance 3/4 swing...crap there is the block to the right again!.....missed the green and the ball ran down the slope into some think rough

10th hole I hit a fairway bunker and was only able to advance it about 60 yards so I had 116 yards to a front pin that was just in front of a big slope so it gave me a backboard. I hit probably the best shot with this wedge so far....high baby draw..went right over the flag hit the slope and spun back down almost going in!! I had a 5 inch tap in for par.

12th hole another reachable par 5 but we are laying up today...ended up with 107 to a middle pin with no real trouble...so what happens....yep you guessed it, another block to the right....I did catch the green but I was 40 fever away...not what I expect with a scoring club in my hand.

16th hole I hit a 3w off the tee on a short par 4 leaving myself 88 yards to a front pin.....moved the ball back hit the 3/4 swing with the abbreviated follow through...landed it just short and and it rolled out to 4 feet and made the birdie

18th hole is a long par 5 with the green protected front and left by water and 3 bunkers on the right...it’s a tough finishing hole.

I had 105 to the that was back lef, hit a nice high s*** that was slightly blocked right...hit the center of the green with about 25 feet left.

All together it was a good outing with the RTX ZipCore wedge...good consistent contact, I’m not really seeing tons of spin but when the heat index is *110+ the greens dry out a lot, the blocks are coming from the setup...I need to get it in the my club guy to swap out shafts and adjust the lie angle.

I'm seeing a very similar thing when it comes to conditions. I can bump and run it if it's hard and dry. After Laura came through though and soaked everything (including me) it was getting up and slamming into the green. I made a ball mark with a 30 yd chip and it just sat which never happens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I've played a couple rounds since I last posted. I've been chipping a LOT on my birdieball green with the 58*. Really trying to get used to hitting the non-rough shots with the 58 as I've struggled with it.

Pitches and shots between 50-85 yards continue to be great. Still can't really feel whether it's a good shot or not... Just a muted feel for me.

Another 18 tomorrow! Private country club so I'll have some fun conditions to play on with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

21 hours ago, tommc23 said:

It is hard adjusting to getting spin. I had this issue with going to new wedges recently. Is your lack of spin on your other wedges because they are older and the grooves being not what they used to be or is it how you hit shots?

I would say it is the way I hit the ball. I have never really gotten much spin except, the rare occasion. My old wedges are Cobra King Black that are 2 yrs old with about 30 rounds on them and a handful of range sessions.. so they are still in good shape.. I just don't hit wedges to create a ton of spin..  

• Like 2

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

31 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

I would say it is the way I hit the ball. I have never really gotten much spin except, the rare occasion. My old wedges are Cobra King Black that are 2 yrs old with about 30 rounds on them and a handful of range sessions.. so they are still in good shape.. I just don't hit wedges to create a ton of spin..  

That sounds like you will have to adjust more than those like me who are used to creating spin. I have faith that you'll adjust and be able to figure it out. 

• Like 1

I’ve got to stop thinking that this wedge will generate more spin than my gamers. Now I’ve got to focus on how it feels at impact.  The pictures below were on full swings from fairway approx 75-80 yards. With two drastically different results. 

77F43331-0D59-42D9-BFA9-76BE84939398.jpeg

CDD90BA1-3D04-4D3A-97F9-4E138507528E.jpeg

8A69AD47-A061-44B9-8BE5-B4C4234A3D68.jpeg

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Really struggling with this wedge in full shots. Ball is not going as far as my other 58* wedge. Chipping around the green is a struggle. Ball doesn't want to come off the face as I expect it to. I don't want to take super aggressive motions for a 20 yard chip/pitch. That's really the hard part for me. If I don't hit this hard on chips, it doesn't go anywhere....

But it's extremely easy to get out of the rough.

Two sides I'm weighing heavily.

No extra backspin. Seems to hit and stop on most shots, Which is pretty typical for me. No actual backspin for a few feet going on.

• Like 4

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I had my 50* RTX ZipCore reshafted and the lie adjusted.....I pulled the Recoil shaft out of my Cobra wedge and had it installed in the Cleveland and had the lie adjusted to my 2* up specs.

WOW! What difference! I’m hitting the ball in the center of the face and I’m now hitting my normal 3 yard draw instead of blocking shots 10 yards right.

I also am hitting it about 8-12 yards further on full swing shots and I’m generating more spin based on the reaction around the greens in the short game area.

I played DG spinner shafts before and always found them a little “whippy” which cost me distance and spin.....this is a whole different club with this new set up......more to come after my round tomorrow,

• Like 6

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I will say that the 58* was money for my 50-85 yard shots during my match on Sunday morning. Scorched my opponent and set the course record for that 9...and my personal best ever. 20200906_124428.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, dhartmann34 said:

No extra backspin. Seems to hit and stop on most shots, Which is pretty typical for me. No actual backspin for a few feet going on.

This line captures almost exactly what I'm seeing. On the eyeball test, the RTX4 seems to be generating a lot more backspin, especially on 3/4 swings. I'm also finding that the additional 3* of bounce is more of a hindrance for my game. I'm going to start hammering out the review this week and I'll keep putting in work with the ZipCore! 

• Like 4

Ping G410 LST 9º | Tensei CK Orange 70 X
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW | Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 54 Mid, 60 Mid | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5

I will be tied up all week.  No golf this week, unless a miracle happens.  Maybe Sunday.  I’ll look to get some more thoughts and information up early next week sometime.

• Like 2

OK, It's been crazy the last week or so but I did get out last weekend. Played with SWMBO and had a great day. SWMBO shot a personal best 92 breaking 100 for the 1st time.. I was very proud of her.. 

Moving on to the Wedge.. I was more impressed with this wedge. I hit several shots that saved par and a couple that gave me birdies.. I hit a 40 yd chip that landed 2 ft past the hole 1 hopped and stopped within 3 inches of it's ball mark.. Nothing really spun back, but 3-4 that one hopped landed and came back an inch or two which was very confidence building.. I was able to throw the ball into the green and knew it was going to stop.. I am getting used to the heavier feeling, but occasionally I notice that it feels late getting through the ball.. When that happens I am usually Shorter than expected... But all in all I am loving the the Ball flight and Spin that I am noticing which is something I don't normally see..

• Like 3

Dave-

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Going to play in a couple hours. Been raining a lot the past few days and the cool weather has set in. I'll be interested to see how the 58* works off of the wet, soft ground.

• Like 3

Played last Sunday for the first time since I re-shafted my RTX ZipCore 50* wedge. Getting the club adjusted to my specs of + 3/4” and 2* up made a HUGE difference!

With the standard shaft and lie I was blocking a lot of shots right and missing several greens which is not good with a wedge in your hand.

Sunday I hit 9 total shots with the RTX ZipCore and was inside 15 feet on all of them! 5 shots were inside 8 feet and 2 were inside 3 feet with one that was a kick in birdie.

The ball flight was much better and it seemed like I was generating quite a bit more spin.

I was on the fence and whether or not this was going to stay in my bag after the test, but if it keeps performing like this it’s not going anywhere.

• Like 4

Snell MTB