Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Lie board or examine divot ????

Scotland blue

What is the opinion of using a lie board to measure the correct lie of an iron vs. examining the resulted divot from the same club.  I've heard that lie boards can come up with some dubious results but haven't learned yet if that is true or not.

I have a new set of irons that should not technically fit me for the lie measurement but when I look at the divot they are the full width of the bottom of the club and appear to be spot on for a squared up club face.  The depth of the divot and length will vary with the club used and of course my own swing faults.  I haven't hit these irons on a lie board but now wonder if it is needed at all.

I'm thinking that if the divot "exam" is a solid.....then good to go.  Your thoughts???

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

Take the cheap way out. Take a piece of electrical tape and place it on the sole of the club and make a few swings on a piece of cardboard or an upside down welcome mat or anything handy. You will see the scratch marks on the tape and you will know for sure if the lie is correct.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

RE: Lie Boards -

RE: Divots - I've seen a few pros talk about the divot direction not being accurate either, however I can't find any specific videos or posts off the top of my head.

Suffice it to say, the best option is to get on a launch monitor and find out what is really going on with your swing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

To dial in the right lie angle, I would first go by the ball flight, then I would use a marker line on a ball and the corresponding line angle mark on the clubface and then I would use the lie board.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I think you need both. I was retrofitted for a set. Lie board said to go 3 deg up. Fitter did that. I still struggled. Looking at divot, it was toe heavy. Got fitted for new clubs, turns out my retrofit needed to be 2 more deg up. New clubs are upright and divot is centered. 

as Is the ball flight

Edited by rbsiedsc
Added ball flight comment

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Amazing!!! I kind of live in a rural area, do my own adjustments/builds on my clubs and I usually rely on a lie board. This just might give me new meaning to consistency. 

Thanks for the vid!

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Ping Tour 65

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

Scotty Cameron Custom welded LN 

Grips- GP MCC+4

Take a sharpie and mark a big thick line on a ball. Set that line towards club face vertically. Sharpie will leave mark on club face, straight up is correct lie. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

9 hours ago, Scotland blue said:

What is the opinion of using a lie board to measure the correct lie of an iron vs. examining the resulted divot from the same club.  I've heard that lie boards can come up with some dubious results but haven't learned yet if that is true or not.

I have a new set of irons that should not technically fit me for the lie measurement but when I look at the divot they are the full width of the bottom of the club and appear to be spot on for a squared up club face.  The depth of the divot and length will vary with the club used and of course my own swing faults.  I haven't hit these irons on a lie board but now wonder if it is needed at all.

I'm thinking that if the divot "exam" is a solid.....then good to go.  Your thoughts???

9 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

RE: Lie Boards -

RE: Divots - I've seen a few pros talk about the divot direction not being accurate either, however I can't find any specific videos or posts off the top of my head.

Suffice it to say, the best option is to get on a launch monitor and find out what is really going on with your swing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

5 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

I think you need both. I was retrofitted for a set. Lie board said to go 3 deg up. Fitter did that. I still struggled. Looking at divot, it was toe heavy. Got fitted for new clubs, turns out my retrofit needed to be 2 more deg up. New clubs are upright and divot is centered. 

as Is the ball flight

My experience is that all of it helps contribute with different circumstances creating interesting results. 

To short answer @Scotland blue directly: it depends on where the miss is. 

The lie board and turf can both lie depending on club path, turf interaction and club design. So the repeated results over time and repetitions will reveal the correct fit or poor fit. 

The player can adjust, to a point, to the club setup within a couple degrees. It is when compensating either creates poor performance or inconsistency that it needs to be addressed. 

Stiff turf will push back on the club. A lie board can also push back different than course conditions. Soft, spongy turf may react different with the same setup due to different resistance. 

Club sole design also reacts differently through the turf with different sole width, leading edge grind, and bounce. 

All that to say, I study other people's swings on the range to see if something sticks out creating either pure goodness or awful attrociousness. I often see people setting up with the toe toe far up and the hosel only touching the ground. The result ends up being lots of thin hits, hosel duff left hooks, and the occasional low sweet spot contact. 

The player could learn to setup more upright to eliminate many of the errors without adjusting the clubs. However, if they really want to swing with the club there then a flat lie would allow them more consistency and more pure contact strikes. 

I have a high wrist to floor measurement for my height. I developed a horrible handle raising flinch that was due to a few problems. The solution to fit my hitch was to bend my irons 2 deg up and everything was great for a long time. 

After I addressed the issues creating the handle raising, I struggle with a left miss that could be due to a new swing problem or/and the 2 deg up lie. 

It is all pretty fluid for me. Fix or change one thing and two new crop up. A good fit will allow the most progress until that fit doesn't fit anymore. 

As @Tom the Golf Nut explained, a simple check now and again with a simple lie board and electrical tape, or the vertical sharpie line on a golf ball, or reading your divot all provide pieces of the puzzle. Keep track and see if they change over time. And if any of them match strange ball flight patterns then it is time for a check-up with a fitter to optimize your set-up. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

All that to say, I study other people's swings on the range to see if something sticks out creating either pure goodness or awful attrociousness. I often see people setting up with the toe toe far up and the hosel only touching the ground. The result ends up being lots of thin hits, hosel duff left hooks, and the occasional low sweet spot contact. 
The player could learn to setup more upright to eliminate many of the errors without adjusting the clubs. However, if they really want to swing with the club there then a flat lie would allow them more consistency and more pure contact strikes. 

I would be careful just looking at how the person sets up. Shafts deflect downward during the swing causing the toe to go down at impact. My instructor noticed that I was delivering my wedges toe down at impact but the ball was still going straight due to a closed face at impact. First goal is to get that face correct and then possibly go more upright which will raise the toe at setup.

To test if lie angle is correct, the method recommended my@thezipr23 seems to be the new recommended way if you don’t have access to a launch monitor that provides club head data.

As a player you can setup to fit the clubs or change the clubs to fit the swing. I always prefer to change the clubs to fit my swing since that is what I will generally trend toward doing when under pressure.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 1 month later...