Critique My Swing (Don't hold back)

Hey spies, I got through my first 18 and had a blast! However, after watching feedback of my swing I can tell there are a million things wrong with it. The main thing is the amount I bend over during my swing. It doesn't help that I am 6'5 and using standard clubs from the 80s (Titleist DTR and I'm getting new ones and getting fitted this week). I would just like some advice or tips I can use to improve my swing. I have thick skin so dissect it and tell me all the things I'm doing wrong. 

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/D7hgW9bjRCo

I’d strongly recommend getting some lessons from a local pro. Getting some basic setup advice from a pro is the best thing you can do as someone starting out. What you feel like you are doing may be different to reality, and trying to fix it yourself after reading advice may not actually help you.  Although nearly everyone here is an avid golfer, there’s probably only a couple of guys actually qualified to give advice. Perhaps search for @chisag’s “tip of the day” fo some really good ideas.

Is your fitting at a store or with a fitter? Hopefully it’s the latter, and the fitter might be able to give you some basics to work on. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

You asked. 

It looks like a typical arm swing with little body movement. Looking at how little the hips and shoulders move compared to how much the arms move is a telltale sign. I'm guessing you hit a 7i about 135 yards with that swing. 

Getting fit will help you be more consistent where you are at. Once you get better with better fundamentals you might need to be fit again. 

Lessons might help you make quicker progress or might mess you up - depends on the coach and the student. 

I would get 1-3 lessons, work on it for a month or two, go get fit, work with the new clubs for a month, then get 1-3 more lessons. In about 6 months, you might be able to really make a difference. 

In the meantime, until you find an instructor, working on balance, flexibility, and extension will help just about anyone. 

I like this video if you want to learn how to spot some of your own faults and fixes:

That video shows how to use the body and a lot of fundamentals. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Welcome to golf! 

I'm with @Peaksy68, the best thing you can do is to completely ignore almost all of the online advice you'll get, and ignore all of Youtube.  Almost all of the online commentators will see only the symptoms of what you're doing (i.e. the lack of turn noted by @Buffly), very very few of us know enough to identify the actual causes of the symptoms.  Go get some lessons, even an introductory series of group lessons if that's available, to revise the basics of grip and address.  Play and practice, enjoy yourself, golf isn't easy, but its a lot of fun.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, Buffly said:

It looks like a typical arm swing with little body movement.

This is what I first noticed as well.  I recently played 18 with a pair of younger guys in Elko, NV and one was 99% arm swing...and I mean way upright and rigid lower half.  Most all of his shots were thin and slices. He asked for advice so I gave it.  By the end of the round, he was getting his belt buckle most of the way towards the target and, while still pushing balls right, getting lots more distance and much better contact.

Since you're just getting started and haven't ingrained swing habits, it would be of benefit to take a series of lessons from a highly reviewed instructor. This will help you understand swing fundamentals and, likely, keep you on the right track.  Good luck!

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Fully agree, get lessons. Find yourself a good pro that will start at the beginning and build your swing. Depending on how quick you pick things up it should take 6+ lessons to understand the basics. Just remember to have fun and not get frustrated. We all hit bad shots, it is just that the better you get the less they are. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Since you are just starting out...  Lessons!  Don't make the mistake I did and think that I can learn as I play.  The longer you play with bad habits, the harder it is to "unlearn" and replace them with good habits.  

Get fit for clubs.  The fit needs to be in the ballpark in order to learn proper movements.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm going to echo what others have said already...

Lessons.

Also ask the pro about how suitable the clubs you are using are for you, length and lie wise.  He may be able to lengthen/tweak them to be more suited to get you started out on the right path without you needing to fork out a lot of cash just yet.  Then look at getting fitted for new/newer clubs in a few months.

14 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Since you are just starting out...  Lessons!  Don't make the mistake I did and think that I can learn as I play.  The longer you play with bad habits, the harder it is to "unlearn" and replace them with good habits.  

Get fit for clubs.  The fit needs to be in the ballpark in order to learn proper movements.  

I second this as someone who has been self taught since I started, lessons probably would have been a better place to start. I feel lucky to have backed into a decent swing, but I am sure I am leaving something on the table. Lessons are a great place to start.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Since I cannot critique my own swing I cannot with yours. One thing I do see though is how you're lining up not sure if you tend to have a big fade or not but every one of those shots the ball is hanging way left and you're aimed that way. (although I am not one to talk right @B.Boston)

All I know is A) getting fitted is huge and B) the most important thing is enjoying the game, if you want to get better get the lessons. 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 2 weeks later...