Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Autoflex Shaft

cnosil

1 hour ago, jcmancini67 said:

Hey guys,

I finally broke down and purchased a 505 for my SZ Xtreme.  I'm in the low 90's for swing speed but just started SuperSpeed training so I wanted some room to grow with the shaft.

A couple questions for the group:

1) was going with the 505 a smart move?  Has anyone in my swing speed range swung both?

2) any suggestion on optimum head weight for this driver paired with the 505

By the way, I got the rainbow version and my Xtreme is the Pars and Stripes edition.  The combo looks sick!

Not an expert by any means but the TXG YouTube channel has covered it a lot big takeaway is a lighter head given the lighter more flexible shaft. Cobra should be doable, they did a video with that shaft in the radspeed. Long one but with a few minutes.

https://youtu.be/mUhX5KSHY_U

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, Manimal26 said:

100% agree except for the rare course where a longer tee shot can hinder you. Not many of those though. Of course you do get the rare course that is both long and punishing like the blessing in Arkansas... but that is where better ball strikers who lack distance can prevail... 

If you start crushing it past me can we spray paint the club head to match bubbas? 

Courses 'round here are fickle.  Either they are long and wide or extremely narrow.  The CC down the road from my house is around 5200 yards from the white tees, but each fairway is horrendously tight.  I have never played there because it's a highly over priced membership, but I know a few folks who have.  There's another course about 40 minutes South of me that only has about 4 holes where a driver is an option because everything is so short and narrow.  Then there's the majestic beauty that is Tannenbaum GC.  Every fairway is 100 yards wide and 5 miles long.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• 4 weeks later...

I got an AF shaft for my driver a couple weeks ago. I was worried about the cost at first. Now I'm thinking about getting AFs for my 3w and hybrids. With the AF installed in my driver, I got about 6mph more CHS and about 8mph more ball speed. It seemed too good to be true, but now I've got 5 rounds under my belt and I am definitely 15-20+ yards longer on the course. This shaft was ridiculously expensive, but I now have no qualms about paying that much money since it delivered such good results.

I'm not sure the AF will work for everyone, but I took a flyer on it because there were a lot of good reviews on it, and I am retired and allowed to spend money on golf 😃

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 6:48 PM, JustBob said:

I got an AF shaft for my driver a couple weeks ago. I was worried about the cost at first. Now I'm thinking about getting AFs for my 3w and hybrids. With the AF installed in my driver, I got about 6mph more CHS and about 8mph more ball speed. It seemed too good to be true, but now I've got 5 rounds under my belt and I am definitely 15-20+ yards longer on the course. This shaft was ridiculously expensive, but I now have no qualms about paying that much money since it delivered such good results.

I'm not sure the AF will work for everyone, but I took a flyer on it because there were a lot of good reviews on it, and I am retired and allowed to spend money on golf 😃

Bob,

What driver head are you playing? What length? Do you know the weight of your driver head without shaft?

I am in the same situation as you and am investigating my options. Don't sweat it if you don't have any answers.

I picked up an AF505 a while back and have been slowly tinkering with it.  I'm relatively happy with my current set up (SIM 9* w/ VA Drago shaft).  My driver it generally really consistent and the SIM has been super forgiving on mis-hits.  That said, I tried out a friends AF/G410 combo while in Orlando a few months back and when we compared my set up to his I was seeing 3-4 mph club head speed gains and at least 10 yards more carry distance.

So far in my own testing I can say that I'm not a fan of the longer shaft.  Coming from a 44.5" shaft it looks freakishly long.  I haven't been able to get spin numbers but I suspect it's probably spinning a bit high so I dialed down the loft -2 degrees and the launch has been much better.  My normal shot shape is a draw and my miss is just turning it over too much.  The right side generally isn't an issue for me.  However, with the AF shaft I cannot turn this thing over to save my life.  In fact the flight is the most boring little 3-5 yard fade ever, which I kinda love.

Not surprising but my strike with the longer shaft has been a little off vs my shorter shaft set up.  Not punishing but I know I can get more out of it.  Also, the swing weight is on the higher side vs what Autoflex recommends (D0 to D1).  So, I think my next step may be to butt trim the shaft a bit and try to kill two birds with one stone - improve strike consistency and get swing weight dialed in.

I'm curious what others have been doing to get their AF set up dialed in.