GPS or rangefinder?

I like range finders because I don't have to worry about charging them.  I replace the battery probably once a year.  My son is a junior golfer and his leagues don't allow GPS devices, but allow range finders.  Since I play every day with him it makes more sense to use what he's going to use in competition.  

I tried a Garmin GPS watch and forgot to charge it more than once or would think it was sufficiently charged only to lose power mid-round.  I also play daily, so that probably makes a range finder easier to manage.   I guess I could have just charged the watch every night.  I also don't like wearing a watch or my wedding ring when I play golf.

I do wear an apple watch daily now, so maybe I should try again at some point using it with an app like the Grint or GolfLogix.

• Like 2

Sun Mountain C130-S / Titleist TSi4 9* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 TX / Titleist TSi3 15* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 TX / New Level NLU-01 18* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5 / New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG TI X100 / Vokey SM8 50,54,58 DG S200 / Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven

Humble, TX / Right Handed / 10 Handicap / 37.5" 6i @ 61.5* Lie

I prefer GPS.  I like to have the yardage to the front, middle and back of the green.  My clubs are not dialed in enough for exact yardage from a rangefinder.

• Like 1

I use the Garmin Approach Z82 which has a map imbedded in the view finder, along with the distance to the flag; it has the best of both worlds.  The map you would normally see on a GPS device, either a watch or handheld.

Edited by MarineJoe
  • Like 1

Cleveland VAS 792 3-W 🥺

Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings HSM

Cleveland 588 "rusty" wedges

I have tried GolfShot on my Apple Watch (series 3 so its slow), along with a GHOST from Bushnell and a range finder. My Bushnell never stays charged, so unless I charge it on the way to play, its worthless. That being said, I rarely use the watch (lately been going completely with out it) and love the simplicity of Front, Center and Back of greens. I am not accurate enough to nail the pin, and if you know the pin placement you can make your club choice based on if its F, C or B. I also like the rangefinder for what others have said. Its light, batteries last forever, and gets you a real distance (I bought a Precision Pro NX7 non-slope for $120 refurbished, and its amazing for the money). If I was only given one choice, it would be the GPS. The GHOST is nice because it is small, pocket sized, and moves along with me as I move holes. The Rangefinder is PRICELESS for the driving range though. I love knowing exact yardage when I am working on clubs and distances, and some ranges (like mine) have a grass area for irons only, but a few mats up higher and further for drivers, so the flags are different distances)

I also use my GolfShot app (Plus level membership) and it gives me the ability to track center of green, or drag the marker around to see how far water hazards or bunkers are which is especially helpful off the tee at a new course, or when trying to layup. 

Hope this helps! First post!

• Like 1

Both for me. GPS is a lot more handy I have found because although In theory I can shoot the distance to a trap it’s not the most accurate (have had plenty of times I shot a distance to something and it was way off because I unknowingly hit something else) but I do like the laser if I know I can go at a flag.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Thread

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green  I :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

GPS for me. I've found it provides the bare minimum I need when playing for distance. I'm too cheap to pay extra for slopes, etc. I tried a range finder that my brother in law had and I couldn't figure it out. his numbers were way different than mine, and while his may have taken slope into account, I wasn't comfortable.

• Like 1

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

I'm using both these days. I just bought the Shot Svope system (used for two rounds only) and find I like the quick yardage availability. I use my rangeginder for exact yardage on approach shots.

I also had the Garmin g6 watch which set in my desk drawer so long unused and uncharged that the battery died. It was just easier to use my phone and Swing U app for a full picture of the hole as well as gps distance on the same screen. App was much higher quality than Garmin (or any watch I've seen) for hazards and hole view. I still use the app on courses I dont know well.

Sent from my SM-G991U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Just had a "front" colored pin measured to the "mid" distance.  My rangefinder is growing on me every round.  Pin distance was always a guess with the GPS.

• Like 1

:tour-edge: EXS Driver 10.5 degree set to 11.5u Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:  EXS 3 wood 15 degree Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:  EXS 5 wood 18 degree  Tensei Blue R

:tour-edge:  EXS 7 wood 21 degree  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:       699 5-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:       699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R

image.png.0c814df7a41156807d09d0f71918f7b8.png  56 60 wedges

:Sub70:   TAll Wide Blade putter

image.png.44476ec8528655987e70ef0c07f9c647.png NX9 Slope

image.png.06e551b892c03e51345ba2a31fadf4a3.png Pro

On 4/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, DStar said:

After a couple of rounds I've noticed I'm struggling with distances.

The club have removed 200 & 150 marker posts and have discs in the centre of the fairway, all ok if you're in the middle of the fairway.

So looking at a GPS or rangefinder,  which do you recommend and why? 

Garmin G10 is £90 so similar price to a MiLESSEY rangefinder on Amazon. 

I’ve been wearing an s62 for about six months now... it’s great. I think GPS is plenty of information for most golfers, but I also think it’s a best practice to aim for the back middle of most greens (middle of its a front pin) and I think a rangefinder will anchor a distance into your head...

I get the desire to carry a rangefinder but I’m not confident it actually helps me play better.

• Like 1

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

Rangefinder. GPS doesn’t do any good at the range, and the GPS apps available on phones are just as accurate as the devoted ones.

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Well I went with a cheap G10 and used it for the 1st time on Friday. 

Played like a jackass but I did hit the right distances, just the wrong directions.

GPS was really helpful especially if I was off the fairway. 

I can see that this will help, just need to work on my swing consistency...

Cobra King F6+ Matrix Black Tie 65S 

Titleist 816 H1 19° Aldila Rogue Black 85H 🆕

Titleist 816 H1 21° Fubuki Z80 🆕

Mizuno MP-32 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300

Cleveland CG12 52° Gap

Cleveland CG15 56° Sand

Cleveland CG15 60° Lob

DStar #1 Putter

Titleist AVX Balls

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Like many of you, I have and use both.  I tend to use my Garmin watch for longer distances, scoring and shot distances and the range finder for distances around 100 yards in as well as accurate lay up distances.  

• Like 2
Ping G400 SFT with a Distanza 40gr Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 55 grams senior shaft.  
Calloway Epic GBB Epic 20 degree Heaven Wood, with a stock Diamana 40 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-U, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  New Evnroll ER10 Outback
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, Golf2Much said:

Like many of you, I have and use both.  I tend to use my Garmin watch for longer distances, scoring and shot distances and the range finder for distances around 100 yards in as well as accurate lay up distances.  

I use both of them too, but for smaller distances I prefer to use any kind of rangefinder like here. Gps are not giving the clearest info as for my experience. 

Edited by Clairr77
  • Like 1

I use both.  I have a Garmin Approach watch for getting my front, middle, back yardages as well as distance to hazards and to measure my drives.  Then I use my Nikon CoolShot for exact pins and lay up distances.  This is generally followed by a swing that produces a ball flight that fails to hit that number.   I love golf!

• Like 1

I know it's not close to everybody but SOME guys using rangefinders can be slow as sh-t with them. I played with a guy who lasered the flag from 20 yards. I kid you not.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, garyt1957 said:

I know it's not close to everybody but SOME guys using rangefinders can be slow as sh-t with them. I played with a guy who lasered the flag from 20 yards. I kid you not.

Did he stick the shot?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use both but I find I use the GPS most of the time on courses that I know.  If I am playing a course that I do not know well, I use both.   

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM8 52F & 56S wedges | Bettinardi BB45 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Titleist Pro V1 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I have a range finder for the driving range, but i play with a GPS watch. Its with in 3 yards accurate, or better, im not. They are way better for pace of play. Range finders on the course are obnoxious. Im so tired of seeing a foursome stand on a tee box, on a filled out morning, with all 4 people shooting the flag and debating 2 yards. Then 3 of the 4 arent even with in 30 yards of the green. I waited 5 mins for that? I would love to see range finders banned 🤣. GPS watch is more accurate than 90% of golfers and dont hold up the course like the 4 Dechambeaus shooting a flag on a par 5 from the tips before theu slice it in the woods. I know plenty of you guys arent holding up the course, but lots do. To those of you that can actually hit within 2 yards consistently, have at the range finders. 

• Like 1

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X