Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

THC and its effects on your game

On 4/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, Lacassem said:

Jumping off @StrokerAce post on a golf digest article made me go back to one, I read the other day, Marijuana and its effects on the game. I liked its predecessor alcohol on your game https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-golf-game-an-investigation

I am not a smoker on or off course these days but still an interesting read. As they wrap up all in moderation right? For me not sure how it would effect me but I would venture to guess I would probably become to laxed. I know my limit with the booze on course but do not have any baseline for THC

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-marijuana-affect-your-golf-game-an-investigation

What say you?

Ah, that's an intriguing topic! I've read articles on how different substances can affect performance in various sports, but never really delved into its impact on golf. While I personally don't indulge, it's fascinating to consider how THC might influence focus, coordination, and the mental aspects of the game. And yes, knowing one's limits is crucial, regardless of the substance. I guess it's all about what enhances your experience without compromising the essence of the sport. Cheers for sharing the links! - Ahmad

Interesting to hear everyone's perspective and see the results from the article, as I've always wondered why it's still a no-no in professional sports.  In my personal testing, it definitely doesn't help anything sports related. I start thinking too much, everything slows down too much, and I can't focus enough. I feel great, but there's zero chance I would be a better golfer or better at any sport. I tried playing Cornhole on an edible once and struggled to even hit the board. I couldn't stop focusing on muscles my arm was using, it was a mess. Maybe there is a sweet spot with an amount that helps, but I haven't found it. 

Driver: Ping G425 9.0 Atla CB 55 X-Stiff

2 Hybrid: Ping G425 17.0 Ping Tour 85 X-Stiff

Ping Crossover 3 iron: Atla CB 70 X-Stiff

Irons: Ping G425 Green dot 4i-9i KBS Tour 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8: 46, 50, 52, 56

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Balls: Taylormade TP5, Titleist Pro-V, Maxfli-Tour X

I do not partake, but I have quite a few buddies that do, some on a daily basis - as most answers it seems "to depend" I have friends that booze until they about fall over during their swing and I have friends that smoke and sit in their cart the entire time. Others, they can function. Almost seems to be a moderation and tolerance question. But, I would have to guess that it has somewhat of an effect on your game. Practically everything does - hydration, food, THC, alcohol, tobacco. 

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 8:46 PM, Lacassem said:

Jumping off @StrokerAce post on a golf digest article made me go back to one I read the other day. Marijuana and its effects on the game. I liked its predecessor alcohol on your game https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-golf-game-an-investigation

I am not a smoker on or off course these days but still an interesting read. As they wrap up all in moderation right? For me not sure how it would effect me but I would venture to guess I would probably become to laxed. I know my limit with the booze on course but do not have any baseline for THC

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-does-marijuana-affect-your-golf-game-an-investigation/goku tu 

What say you?

Totally get what you're saying, man. It's all about knowing your limits. I've seen buddies play their best rounds after a couple of drinks, and others who can't hit the ball straight after one. Different strokes for different folks, you know? And yeah, there's a lot that can impact your game; from what you eat to how you're feeling that day. At the end of the day, we're out there to have fun, so to each their own!

2 hours ago, munirashraf982 said:

Totally get what you're saying, man. It's all about knowing your limits. I've seen buddies play their best rounds after a couple of drinks, and others who can't hit the ball straight after one. Different strokes for different folks, you know? And yeah, there's a lot that can impact your game; from what you eat to how you're feeling that day. At the end of the day, we're out there to have fun, so to each their own!

I’m glad you brought up food too. I don’t eat a ton on course so when I get a dog or burger at the turn (have not in a few years) I don’t play all that well. I like snacks through the round. I typically bring a fruit whether and apple or banana, and a few different handheld snacks/granola bars

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

• 3 weeks later...

Legal state here; VA.

It's been very interesting seeing so many vapes and joints on the course this year. Folks are out of the closet for sure. Played with a gentleman in his 70s partaking recently!

I don't drink anymore as I've had enough booze for two lifetimes already, but after 2 beers, I couldn't figure out how to get a head on a ball. Then, like most people, I would stop caring about score and start worrying about having a good time... Did someone mention slow play? Alcohol has ruined my rounds many times, even when I'm not the one drinking.

THC, like any drug, affects everyone differently. I'm one of those guys that gets anxious playing a practice round by myself. A tiny poke in the parking lot makes getting to the first tee much easier. Can't imagine going as hard as the guys in the tests, however.

Benefits I've seen is a quiet mind during set up, less tension in the forearms and hands, and an increased appreciation for nature while exploring the course.

That said, even as a smoker, I hate inconsiderate stoners as much as drunks. You're free to have a good time until your good time encroaches on someone else's. So please don't light up before getting the okay from the folks that are playing with you.

Let adults be adults.

Oh, and please please please, the golf course is not a time to experiment with drugs. You're gonna have a bad time.

Cheers

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

59 minutes ago, barney_bogey said:

Legal state here; VA.

It's been very interesting seeing so many vapes and joints on the course this year. Folks are out of the closet for sure. Played with a gentleman in his 70s partaking recently!

I don't drink anymore as I've had enough booze for two lifetimes already, but after 2 beers, I couldn't figure out how to get a head on a ball. Then, like most people, I would stop caring about score and start worrying about having a good time... Did someone mention slow play? Alcohol has ruined my rounds many times, even when I'm not the one drinking.

THC, like any drug, affects everyone differently. I'm one of those guys that gets anxious playing a practice round by myself. A tiny poke in the parking lot makes getting to the first tee much easier. Can't imagine going as hard as the guys in the tests, however.

Benefits I've seen is a quiet mind during set up, less tension in the forearms and hands, and an increased appreciation for nature while exploring the course.

That said, even as a smoker, I hate inconsiderate stoners as much as drunks. You're free to have a good time until your good time encroaches on someone else's. So please don't light up before getting the okay from the folks that are playing with you.

Let adults be adults.

Oh, and please please please, the golf course is not a time to experiment with drugs. You're gonna have a bad time.

Cheers

I tend to not drink much on the course like you. I just do not play well and I have my most fun playing well, dont need alchohol to do so.

I am curious on the THC side more and more though. Would it relax me and slow things down (typically what throws me off is I rush). Some day I will find out, kids are young and not the time currently to start experimenting lol.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

I tend to not drink much on the course like you. I just do not play well and I have my most fun playing well, dont need alchohol to do so.
I am curious on the THC side more and more though. Would it relax me and slow things down (typically what throws me off is I rush). Some day I will find out, kids are young and not the time currently to start experimenting lol.
I'd definitely advise going to the range to figure out if it works for you rather than jumping into a match, lol.

I'm a gym rat. All of my heavier lifts were after partaking. My buddies though, they can't access their strength after a toke.

Takes all kinds.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Plain CBD with no THC calms me down and helps me relax so I don’t Overswing.  

THC doesn’t get me stoned when I take it.  It’s all about how much you take when you play.  5mg isn’t going to get you stoned but will relax you quicker.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

11 minutes ago, Dazlar said:

Pot is the killer of all ambition, and probably to your health and golf game

Thats definitely arguable lol. Again, to each their own but a blanket statement like that is absolutely absurd. I am sure it slows alot of people down and is not a benefit but come on

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

39 minutes ago, Dazlar said:

Pot is the killer of all ambition, and probably to your health and golf game

I’ve seen alcohol ruin more lives first hand while responding to scenes as a firefighter/paramedic/EMT…but go on with your anecdotes. 

Edited by bens197
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I’ve seen alcohol ruin more lives first hand while responding to scenes as a firefighter/paramedic/EMT…but go on with your anecdotes. 

... Excellent réponse from someone with real world experience but can anything said pierce such a hard shell of ignorance? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Excellent réponse from someone with real world experience but can anything said pierce such a hard shell of ignorance? 

Some folks want to troll. I think you and I know well enough to ignore their silly nonsense. 😊

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

On 8/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, chisag said:

... I am surprised nobody has mentioned edibles or strains. You can regulate the effect easier than smoking/vaping and it comes on slower and lasts longer. Then are you using Sativa, Indica or a Hybrid strain? Sativa is mentally stimulating while Indica is more physically and mentally relaxing and of course a hybrid some combination of both. I have always found THC enhances music, film and intimacy but I would never combine it with sports. As an aside, I have never seen anyone being obnoxious when high opposed to many, many of those drinking too much and causing a myriad of problems from music played waaaaay too loud to outright physical confrontations. Just sayin ...

... I tried it once in college playing basketball and setting up on the wing just inside the 3 point line, if someone didn't have a hand in my face I'm letting it fly as soon as it touches my hands, usually hitting around 60%. Playing some guys that didn't know me, they left me open and soon as the ball was checked my playing pard fired it over to me and I should have been licking my chops but instead the ball seemed to grow the size of a beach ball and traveling right at my face 3 times it's normal speed (seemingly) so I ducked and it sailed out of bounds. 🤣 Jogged off the court and went back to the dorm to listen to some Pink Floyd. 

... The 2nd and last time was 20 years later when my cousin begged me to try it again with him on a military golf course we had never played. So against my better judgement I joined him and on the 2nd hole, a short par 3 I hit the green (surprisingly in my condition) and Bill missed short and in the rough. As we approached the green 4 guys in the fairway to our right about 170 yds away were screaming at us and one of the larger and pretty annoyed short haired and in shape soldiers started jogging toward us and I realized we had hit shots backwards off the tee and on their par 4 green. 😱  Thankfully they were walking and we pushed our carts as fast as we could leaving our balls were they were, made it to the parking lot and drove straight to a Chick Fil A. As they saying goes, 3 times and you're out so I have never been tempted to combine THC and sports again. My 34 yr old son OTOH can't play without THC, something I found out when he was in his mid 20's and he no longer hid it from me. It really shouldn't have surprised me since he was born on April 20th. 🤪

My grandson (now almost 28 years old) smokes pot and uses other forms of THC (edibles, mainly) on a very regular basis. He was a Div I scholarship athlete (soccer) and also played HS and some college basketball. Based on my experience playing pickup basketball at the YMCA and at the Marshall Univ intramural courts, he plays quite well (and aggressively) while under the influence of THC.  I am far more muscular, although a couple inches shorter) than my grandson, and I was always a good defensive player who was never afraid to take a charge and get an offensive foul called on my opponents, and when we played basketball my grandson would usually pull up and shoot or pass when I had established defensive position against him. However, when we played against each other and I was guarding him, he would easily either blow around me (OK, I was a slow old man but much more physically intimidating even when we played b-ball 8 to 10 years ago) or charge right into me.

My son, on the other hand, who was an NCAA Division I shooting guard and played for Coastal Carolina in the NCAA Basketball Tournament in the early 1990s, plus ran a chain of basketball academies as Director of Instruction for Nike in the later 1990s, becomes VERY laid-back and almost lethargic when he partakes of THC in any form. 

I find both of the above to be really strange, as my grandson is generally very laid-back, while my son is and always has been an extremely aggressive player in whatever sport he is playing (when both are not high).

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

On 11/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

No clue! My company has a very strict drug and alcohol policy. Random testing can happen at any time and if you pop positive you are done. They even said if you use CBD oil, gummies or anything like that and you pop positive because of the hemp used you are done. My job / career is too important to my family to even consider taking a chance. 

Let's revisit this thread in about 8 years when I retire and see what I say then! 🤣

Law enforcement?

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

On 11/16/2022 at 11:50 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

No clue! My company has a very strict drug and alcohol policy. Random testing can happen at any time and if you pop positive you are done. They even said if you use CBD oil, gummies or anything like that and you pop positive because of the hemp used you are done. My job / career is too important to my family to even consider taking a chance. 

Let's revisit this thread in about 8 years when I retire and see what I say then! 🤣

... Sorry Tom. Just seems crazy that any company would take this stance in 2023. 🙄  I would be lost without CBD and prefer a natural plant pain reliever than pharmaceuticals that have serious side effects. 

Just now, chisag said:

... Sorry Tom. Just seems crazy that any company would take this stance in 2023. 🙄  I would be lost without CBD and prefer a natural plant pain reliever than pharmaceuticals that have serious side effects. 

The cream and roll on works better than any other pain reliever I have ever used.  Buddy had back surgery was prescribed CBD pouch over opioids.  I’m with you. 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

Sadly, lots of companies have policies identical to the one that Tom described.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

19 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

Sadly, lots of companies have policies identical to the one that Tom described.

... You'd think they recognize Big Pharma/Alcohol propaganda but I guess not:

Glad we have had some good discussion on here. Wild topic especially with the changes in the past few years in many states. Thanks for keeping it classy all!

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I generally take a “to each their own” approach to these things. Just don’t impede other’s enjoyment. Anecdotally though when it comes THC products vs. alcohol, my experience shows that the more abhorrent behavior stems from alcohol. I’m not a big fan of smoking but the edibles I’ve tried don’t seem to affect me that much. My wife on the other hand says she hears “darkness”. 😂

Edited by MattWillGolf
Corrected as I posted in the wrong thread.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Such an interesting take as I feel there is still a massive dividing line in if it’s “acceptable” or not. As previous posts have stated, those that grew up in the era of being told the devils lettuce will rot your brain, for the majority, still have. A harder time accepting its recreational usage.

Two weeks ago when we were playing, my buddy was using his vape pen and was told my a group behind us about how bad it is and that he’s an idiot to smoke.

Im in the boat of do what helps you personally if it’s legal. I have a ton other of CBD with less than 1% THC and it helps immensely with all of my pain from multiple football injuries over the year. It also helps me get through 18 holes without having major back and knee pain. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

• 5 months later...

Absolutely, the discussion about THC's influence on golfing, or any sport for that matter, is fascinating. Personally, I've found that vaping THC before a game helps me relax and focus, but it's all about timing and quantity. I vape a small amount approximately 30 minutes before starting, which helps me get into a more relaxed state without impairing my coordination or judgment.

Finding the right product and dosage was key for me, and I stumbled upon what works best for me through Nexus Smoke listings. They offer a variety of options, which helped me find something that suits my needs and preferences without going overboard.

Edited by ronini

Do what you want. Makes no difference to me. I drink, so I'm not about to get on a soap box. Personally, I won't take anything into my lungs on purpose, other than air...lol. I watched too many people I cared about die from smoking. My father died a  very slow death from COPD, mother, uncle, father and mother in law, aunts... lung cancer. I'll just stick to beating up my liver... lol.