Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Course Selection

DoubleAce

Looking for input from other trip planners.   When planning a trip, what sources do you use to determine the best courses in the area? 

I started out using golf.com and golf digest, best public courses in the US.  Lately i have been using  1) golf week, best courses you can play by state  2) where2golf.com  3) top100golfcourses.com   4) local rankings when available.  Most recently I have found this forum to be very valuable.  thank you all.   On the other hand, i have found golf now to be unreliable just based on how the courses near me are ranked. 

In addition to the sources you mention here, I also do Google searches on hidden gems in the area to find some inexpensive options to scatter in with the mainstream pricey golf. 

There are also sites which review courses or give you a hole by hole guide like Walking Golfer Society and breaking eighty. 

Another great source to see exactly what the course will feel like are the vlogs on YouTube. 

Where are you headed?

- Raj

HDCP 12
Driver - Taylormade M5 9 - HZRDUS Smoke S
Irons - Ping i200 AWT 2 stiff shafts
Wedges - Titleist Vokeys 50, 55, 60
Putter - Odyssey Fang 2 Ball

I typically do 3 golf trips per year. I check top 100 public course on national listing to see if there are any must plays. I will look at course architect - you know what to expect on a Stanley Thompson, Robert Trent Jones, Nicklaus or Palmer courses. Palm Springs is a desert the architect is what makes the course. I look for variety and challenge. Plus you get what you pay for, a $25 course is probably not going to be as rewarding as a $100 course. I have played a lot of courses where I hated it first time but later rounds were better (show me a person who liked Chambers Bay on first go around). Go to Bandon Dunes 6 course all on one spot easy to plan.

Taylormade woods, Cleveland irons

• 1 month later...