Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Leupold GX-4i Rangefinder - REVIEW

Matt Saternus

Leupold GX-4i Review

GX-4i (1).JPG

Introduction

Is it possible to fit a caddy in your pocket? One who will give you the right club every time, taking into account distance, elevation, temperature, and even altitude? With Leupold's new GX-4i, that just might be a reality…though you will have to carry your own clubs. Read on for my full review of Leupold's top of the line laser rangefinder.

GX-4i (3).JPG

Ease of Use/Set Up – 25 Points

On a basic level, the GX-4i can be as simple to use at its brother, the GX-3i: put in a battery and go. However, the GX-4i is really two rangefinders in one, depending on which faceplate is attached.

With the chrome faceplate, the GX-4i becomes a tournament-legal GX-3i. Push the button and get your yardage.

With the yellow faceplate, the GX-4i flexes all of its muscles, adjusting your yardages for elevation, altitude, temperate, and giving you the best club for the shot. Programming the GX-4i with your yardages takes only a couple of minutes on the intuitive two button layout. You will also need to input the temperature and altitude at the beginning of your round, but this will take 30 seconds, tops.

Score: 24/25

GX-4i (5).JPG

Accuracy/Performance – 25 points

As you would expect, the Leupold GX-4i is every bit the equal of the GX-3i in terms of speed, optics, and accuracy: distances up to 800 yards, accurate to six inches, and yardages displayed to the tenth of the yard, all registered in a split second with perfect clarity.

Since you already read the GX-3i review here, I will focus on the features that are unique to the GX-4i. The first such feature is slope. This features takes into account whether you are aiming at a target that is above or below you. Slope is a fairly common feature in range finders, but people tend to be split as to how useful it is. For my part, when I had a rangefinder with slope, I was not often surprised by the yardage. That said, it's never a bad thing to have a device that reminds you, “Take more club, stupid, it's uphill.”

The next two unique features of the GX-4i are adjustments for altitude and temperature. Much like slope, these are things that we all “know” that we should consider, but we often forget. The other problem is that when we do remember to think about them, we don't know how much to adjust. Is 10 degrees colder worth a full club? How about 20 degrees? How far above sea level do I have to be before I can start clubbing down? If you take the time to program it correctly, the GX-4i will do all that thinking for you.

Finally, the GX-4i goes so far as to tell you the correct club to hit. All you have to do is program in your distances for three clubs, and it does everything else. Personally, I can't imagine not knowing how far I hit my clubs, but I know that this is an issue for some people because there are a myriad of products designed to help golfers remember.

All in all, the GX-4i is truly like having a caddy in your pocket. The only thing that it doesn't account for is wind…well, wind, and the fact that some of us are just as likely to lay six inches of sod over the ball as we are to hit it flush. If the next version of this laser can fix that problem, it will break the ratings scale.

Score: 25/25

GX-4i (6).JPG

Value – 25 points

As I mentioned at the top, the GX-4i the top dog in Leupold's laser rangefinder line up, and it carries the price tag to match at $499. While the GX-4i does everything it claims to do, and does it well, I do question whether or not the $100 upgrade over the GX-3i is totally necessary for the average golfer. My experience with the majority of golfers (I'd estimate 75%) is that they want a device that just “gives me the damned yardage.” While the GX-4i is great for the guy who wants all the bells and whistles, I tend to think the GX-3i gives you more for your money than the GX-4i.

Score: 22/25

GX-4i (7).JPG

The Peanut Gallery – 25 points

The Peanut Gallery liked the Leupold GX-4i, though not quite as much as the GX-3i. While everyone loved the common features, compact, strong construction, accuracy, speed, they were less impressed with the additional features of the GX-4i. This really reflected the sentiment I mentioned above, “Give me the yardage…period.”

That said, there were a couple Peanut Gallery members who really liked the additional features. They stated that they often forget about things like elevation (slope) or temperature, and that this would be a good reminder. They also said that even when they remember to think about those things, they never know how much to adjust. The GX-4i does all that thinking, and they said they would be happy to be able to just go out and hit the shot without any analysis needed.

Score: 23/25

GX-4i (10).JPG

Final Thoughts

Ultimately, between the Leupold GX-3i and GX-4i, there are no bad choices. Both offer best-in-class optics, speed, and accuracy. The only questions are: do you want all of the additional features of the GX-4i, and are they worth the extra $100? Either way, the serious golfer should carefully consider adding a Leupold to their bag.

Score: 94/100

VISIT WEBSITE: http://www.pmgloball...nge-finders.asp

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/.../LeupoldStevens

FOLLOW ON FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/LeupoldOptics

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Once again, nice review Matt.

The next two unique features of the GX-4i are adjustments for altitude and temperature

I can't imagine this is legal in a tournament, is this disabled as well with the chrome faceplate? When I bought my GX1, I was seriously tempted to go with the GX4, despite the extra $200.

Once again, nice review Matt.

I can't imagine this is legal in a tournament, is this disabled as well with the chrome faceplate? When I bought my GX1, I was seriously tempted to go with the GX4, despite the extra $200.

That's accurate, and I probably should have said that more clearly in the review. The chrome faceplate makes it tournament legal and it turns off everything except distance. The yellow faceplate turns on slope, temperature, altitude, and club selection.

• 4 months later...

I have the GX-4 unit and love it. I just wish I knew they had the newer version coming out so i would have held off and bought that one, I always like new gadgets..... especially ones that help my game.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't it still illegal in a tournament with the silver faceplate because the device can still give you slope, etc... Why not paint the yellow faceplate silver?

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone have any advise on how to best use these. I have shaky hands and I can never get the reading on the first try. I think I was able to get one prism lock today but have no idea how I got it to do that. Just seems that I keep getting different numbers all the time. Especially if there are trees in the background. I just wish I could use the pin seeker function better. Ny help would be greatly appreciated.

Driver - 9.5 Cobra Amp, 9.5 Bridgestone J40 430

3 Wood -Royal Collection JP104

3 Hybrid - Royal Collection JP104

Irons - Onoff forged

Wedges - 50, 56, 60 Royal Collection Dual Bite BK

Putter - Yamada Shogun

The thing I've always done is to just hold the button down and let it scan over the area of the pin. It might switch numbers a bit, but it should settle on the shortest number which should be the pin. Hope that helps.

With regard to the reflectors, I've noticed lately that courses put them at different heights (some on top of the flag stick, some more in the middle), so if you know where it should be you can aim for it.

What Matt said. Hold then button and then start scanning over the flag until you get the closest distance.

When I first got my device, I would try to press the button while on the flag and it never worked. So hold and scan.

I've seen some of the reflectors in the flag stick, but up until now the flag has been enough.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Sounds like a great rangefinder....does having the slope option really help much?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

If you don't like doing the distance conversion in hour head then yeah. When I can get it to read it shows that the 185 par 3 is actually 150 to the pin due to the slope. It helped me out yesterday on several holes. Of course you van just estimate how many clubs you need to go down or up based on perception but Id rather know for sure.

Driver - 9.5 Cobra Amp, 9.5 Bridgestone J40 430

3 Wood -Royal Collection JP104

3 Hybrid - Royal Collection JP104

Irons - Onoff forged

Wedges - 50, 56, 60 Royal Collection Dual Bite BK

Putter - Yamada Shogun

• 1 year later...

Quick question.... If these units became more affordable, say somewhere in the $300-330 range, how many of of you guys would consider replacing whatever distance measuring device you use now???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Quick question.... If these units became more affordable, say somewhere in the $300-330 range, how many of of you guys would consider replacing whatever distance measuring device you use now???

I have the GX-4 and can't see any reason to upgrade to the newer model. With that said I'm probably going to scale back as far as features atm with my new found love for the Voice Caddie 3.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I have the GX-4 and can't see any reason to upgrade to the newer model. With that said I'm probably going to scale back as far as features atm with my new found love for the Voice Caddie 3.

Thanks for the input... Exactly what I am looking for..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I went with the GX-3i because I didn't want/need the slope feature.  Ended up finding it for around $320 on Amazon and I couldn't be happier with the performance.  Plus I found out the GM of my golf course is getting one so he is finally going to put the prisms on the flags. 

I should note that I had no issues with locking a flag without the prisms though.  Also I came from using a Callaway uPro GPS device and several different phone GPS applications.  I really like the laser and I don't see myself going back to the GPS full time.  I do still bring it with on unfamiliar courses though because it's helpful to have a top-down view of the entire hole.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For those of you with Leupolds or any range finders for that matter, how durable are they? I'm talking about function rather than physical quality. My friend last year had problems with a couple range finders and that makes me a little cautious of purchasing a range finder. 

I've been using mine for an entire season so far.  It stays in my cart under the seat between rounds and while playing it's in the little glove compartment.  I always use the case that came with it, but I've never been concerned with durability.  It still looks brand new and works like a charm.

I've also never had any issues getting distance to what I'm trying to shoot.  Works great on trees, 150 stakes, flags, traps etc...  The only time you run into issues is trying to hit some sort of trap or edge of the green that is above you in elevation.  It's hard to differentiate between say the front of the green and back of the green if aren't a little above it or there are a lot of undulations.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived