Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

7 hours ago, Allen said:

Re: PLB in FW's.

Have L flex in Driver. Put PLB A flex in 5 wood.

Nothing but sweetness.

My Fav club in my bag is Mizuno Widex'll L flex 5 Wood, very impressed with it out of the rough...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I have an appointment to demo the new Paradym line on Friday. I’m going to take my Otto Phlex (Grafalloy) Ping 425 Max along with the the standard Ventus Blue I have for the Ping. What has me interested in the Paradym is the lighter head- I had to got to a 20 gram weight in the Ping to get to D1. The lighter weight in the Ping diminishes some of the benefits of the 425 Max, namely its awesome forgiveness. I’ve been reading that the Paradym is close to the Ping in forgiveness with a lighter head. So if I can go with an Otto Phlex in the Paradym and not have to switch out the head weight, I would be getting the forgiveness of the Ping with faster speeds  I wonder if they’ll have an actual Autoflex to demo in the Paradym so that it will be more apples to apples. Or I may find that the head difference between the Ping and Paradym will be negligible and then I’ll just “waste” my money on a new putter. 
I’ll report back this weekend with the results. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

48 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I have an appointment to demo the new Paradym line on Friday. I’m going to take my Otto Phlex (Grafalloy) Ping 425 Max along with the the standard Ventus Blue I have for the Ping. What has me interested in the Paradym is the lighter head- I had to got to a 20 gram weight in the Ping to get to D1. The lighter weight in the Ping diminishes some of the benefits of the 425 Max, namely its awesome forgiveness. I’ve been reading that the Paradym is close to the Ping in forgiveness with a lighter head. So if I can go with an Otto Phlex in the Paradym and not have to switch out the head weight, I would be getting the forgiveness of the Ping with faster speeds  I wonder if they’ll have an actual Autoflex to demo in the Paradym so that it will be more apples to apples. Or I may find that the head difference between the Ping and Paradym will be negligible and then I’ll just “waste” my money on a new putter. 
I’ll report back this weekend with the results. 

And yet another fitter who will be looking at you cross-eyed and questioning his/her existence when a $50 shaft gets better #s than a $300 option😂🤣

Cant wait to hear the results!

Have checked out the stock options to see if they might have an OP equivalent? 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

And yet another fitter who will be looking at you cross-eyed and questioning his/her existence when a $50 shaft gets better #s than a $300 option😂🤣

Cant wait to hear the results!

Have checked out the stock options to see if they might have an OP equivalent? 

Callaway lists both the Ventus and Autoflex as options with upcharges. They have the non velecore Ventus blue as a standard option. 
I’m sure I’ll get some eye rolls from the fitter when I explain the Otto Phlex - it’s at Golf Galaxy, so I don’t really have a lot of confidence in the fitter. At least it’s free and I’ll get to see the numbers. Who knows though- maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

2 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Callaway lists both the Ventus and Autoflex as options with upcharges. They have the non velecore Ventus blue as a standard option. 
I’m sure I’ll get some eye rolls from the fitter when I explain the Otto Phlex - it’s at Golf Galaxy, so I don’t really have a lot of confidence in the fitter. At least it’s free and I’ll get to see the numbers. Who knows though- maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. 

So in other words your "fitting" will consist of you hitting golf balls until you decide if you like the driver or not..😜🤦🏼‍♂️

MAXFLI  Tour CG

40 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

So in other words your "fitting" will consist of you hitting golf balls until you decide if you like the driver or not..😜🤦🏼‍♂️

Bingo!

I will get a free sleeve of Chrome Softs for showing up. I’ve got that going for me… which is nice. 

On 10/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, azstu324 said:

I know a big question that's coming up is head weight, shaft weight, Swing weight, etc. This is what a setup with the Garafalloy non-CB PLB 45g A flex looks like cut to play 45" and D1 SW. I've got a Lamkin Sonar wrap grip that weighs 50g and 3 wraps. 

1001221034a.jpg.a247b6e2ee17c55549c2cbf42e6d1bce.jpg

1001221034b.jpg.a8c001fa99e1e15e91890252351df4fb.jpg

1001221035a.jpg.b37a947f4128c124c0b025d82f322bfa.jpg

When cutting down the shaft, do you recommend going from tip or butt end?

I plan on cutting down to 45in as well just curious which end?

Also I have a buddy who is interested but swings around 120mph, do you think the R flex or A Flex would be better starting point? 

Driver- Tsi3

Irons- Srixon Zx5

Wedges- Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Putter- Sik 

1 hour ago, qLofty said:

Also I have a buddy who is interested but swings around 120mph, do you think the R flex or A Flex would be better starting point? 

If all you want to do is shorten the length, always cut from the butt end. Cutting from the tip will stiffen the flex.

1 hour ago, qLofty said:

Assuming the PLB is what you've decided on, the instructions call for butt trim only. That said, I trimmed 1/2" from the tip on mine and it's just fine. It's got a shorter 2" tip section so that's why it's not advised to do any tip trimming.. so I'd say 1/2" max if you want to tighten up the tip section a hair. 

As for your buddy, maybe have him take a few swipes with yours. Sounds like R might be the right flex for him.. but then he might get along with the A flex just the same. Not knowing his level of control, slowing things down a hair may or may not do him some good. He might find that a 116 mph and dead center of the fairway isn't such a bad thing.. but again, I don't know what kind of control he has at 120ph. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 1/25/2023 at 6:48 PM, azstu324 said:

Having started down the same path together, I really think you'd dig the PLB 45g. Such a different shaft from the Riptide 40g.. but good different IMO. The Riptide is still a great shaft and I'm purposely holding on to it for another project.. I've even tried plugging it back in a time or 2 just just to keep reminding myself that the PLB is just that good. And it's just that good

I'm waiting on GW to see if the TS3's drop sometime soon... Might do something silly if so. 

In the meantime, for the PLB, I'm assuming I would stick with the A flex that I'm using in the Riptide, right? Swing speed currently topping out at 103, though some speed work is coming middle of the year (if not sooner). Goal would be 107-110-ish. 

Since the A and L are both 45g, not sure which would be the right way to go. L might actually be a better fit with where I'm at, as at my most recent fitting, I was put into the Oban Devotion 65g 04 (stiff). If I remember correctly, two weights, two flexes, right? So 45g/L vs A? (I think I went "A" in the Riptide because Mobile Clubmaker amended his video with an update that said if you play stiff you should go the 40g 4.0) 

Also: any idea if Golfworks will install the PXG tip if I call and ask? I'm sure it's not CRAZY hard to glue it on the shaft, but...

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

I'm waiting on GW to see if the TS3's drop sometime soon... Might do something silly if so. 

In the meantime, for the PLB, I'm assuming I would stick with the A flex that I'm using in the Riptide, right? Swing speed currently topping out at 103, though some speed work is coming middle of the year (if not sooner). Goal would be 107-110-ish. 

Since the A and L are both 45g, not sure which would be the right way to go. L might actually be a better fit with where I'm at, as at my most recent fitting, I was put into the Oban Devotion 65g 04 (stiff). If I remember correctly, two weights, two flexes, right? So 45g/L vs A? (I think I went "A" in the Riptide because Mobile Clubmaker amended his video with an update that said if you play stiff you should go the 40g 4.0) 

Also: any idea if Golfworks will install the PXG tip if I call and ask? I'm sure it's not CRAZY hard to glue it on the shaft, but...

To answer your first Q, I think L would technically be your frequency but A would probably work too. I'd be curious to know if anybody playing L has gotten their SS up to 110 and maintained good control. I also don't think that it would hurt to get the flex to match the SS you're aiming for either.. so I guess I didn't really answer your question being that both of my answers cancelled each other out 😜🤦🏼‍♂️

And yes GW will prep and glue a tip but at an extra charge of a few bucks. They'll even build the shaft to plug in with a grip if wanted. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 1/28/2023 at 2:47 PM, Bang60 said:

I'm still confused about what a heavier lady flex shaft will perform, I've got a 68gram shaft so what's the 28grams going to do make it stiffer?

On 1/28/2023 at 2:47 PM, Bang60 said:
On 1/28/2023 at 4:35 PM, azstu324 said:

Honestly I'm not sure if there would be a difference. I'd say give it a whirl for experiment sake. This whole thing is all about venturing into the unknown so why not?! 😊

I used a SIM 9deg head and barely made 200metres, it feels odd, different, heavy, but will try a few more hits. I think the 40 grams shaft is the winner by a country mile, well 55 metres anyway... 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

8 hours ago, Bang60 said:

I used a SIM 9deg head and barely made 200metres, it feels odd, different, heavy, but will try a few more hits. I think the 40 grams shaft is the winner by a country mile, well 55 metres anyway... 

A heavier shaft gives a higher swing weight. The exact numbers may vary, but try to get it on a sw scale and you will see a difference vs 28 grams lighter. You could also use one of the calculators mentioned earlier in the thread. I use Hireko Golf's calc but have not tested it vs a proper sw scale (yet).

Hey, @azstu324, they are talking about you!

image.png.a01f61d327675e238480fc2ab5a90d96.png

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

25 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Hey, @azstu324, they are talking about you!

image.png.a01f61d327675e238480fc2ab5a90d96.png

Holy holy rusted metal Batman! That's like an actual article! Not just a forum chat.. 

I wonder if he's actually read what we have going on here. I personally would pick the PLB to throw in the ring against the real deal and believe that a good majority of us would concur. Maybe he missed that part? 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

15 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Holy holy rusted metal Batman! That's like an actual article! Not just a forum chat.. 

I wonder if he's actually read what we have going on here. I personally would pick the PLB to throw in the ring against the real deal and believe that a good majority of us would concur. Maybe he missed that part? 😜

What's hilarious to me about his post is the "everyone gains from Autoflex" summation, which is patently untrue.  True Spec fitter told me that 3 out of 10 (or 30%, for those of you math-challenged readers) see benefit from the Autoflex.  That's not exactly amazing results.  The idea that "some people are spraying it all over the placer" is true of literally every driver on the market.  Sigh. 

That article was probably paid for by Big Korean Hidden Technology Money (please note: this sentence is strictly to make you laugh).

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 1/31/2023 at 1:52 PM, peakation said:

A heavier shaft gives a higher swing weight. The exact numbers may vary, but try to get it on a sw scale and you will see a difference vs 28 grams lighter. You could also use one of the calculators mentioned earlier in the thread. I use Hireko Golf's calc but have not tested it vs a proper sw scale (yet).

I measured my 46.5" PLB A in a SIM2 head on a proper Swing Weight scale to something like D3.3.

Hireko Golf Swing Weight Calc says D3.1! Pretty accurate. Playing with the input shows that moving the balance point 0.1 of an inch gives D2.6. and D3.7 : https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

It can be hard to be accurate enough, though, and know that you measure the actual balance point.

3 hours ago, peakation said:

I measured my 46.5" PLB A in a SIM2 head on a proper Swing Weight scale to something like D3.3.

Hireko Golf Swing Weight Calc says D3.1! Pretty accurate. Playing with the input shows that moving the balance point 0.1 of an inch gives D2.6. and D3.7 : https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

It can be hard to be accurate enough, though, and know that you measure the actual balance point.

I used leaderboard swingweight scale on my iPhone that I've used for 2ish years, I've checked the numbers with a friends Golfworks swingweight scale and I'm exact half the time and .1 for the rest. Good enough for me...

On 9/29/2022 at 10:55 AM, azstu324 said:

@RickyBobby_PR I'm not disagreeing with anything you're saying here and I believe I've left the door open for interpretation and/or gray area with this project. This is a "big picture" idea here so let's not get lost in small details. It's pretty common knowledge at this point  that there is NO standard across the golf equipment industry.. like at all. That's not even a debatable topic any more. 

Point 1: take 2 shafts from 2 different makers. 1 labeled X flex, the other A flex. remove any flex labels. There will undoubtedly be a noticeable difference between the 2.. regardless of what their individual definition of that respective flex is. A perfect example is the PX Evenflow Riptide 40g A. Compared to my Fuji MotoreX F1 6X, there is undoubtedly a difference in flex and weight. Is it 2 "flex frequencies" different? I don't think so. I was looking for different bend and feel characteristics.. so I moved on and to the GPLB which IMO feels like it could be 2 flex profiles different and is much closer to the profile that I had in mind. That's the gist of what I'm going for here. Like I mentioned, there may be yet another profile that I like even better but for now I'm extremely satisfied with Garafalloy. 

Point 2: unless we each have our own individual shaft frequency machines, the absolute best we have to go on at this point is generalities and personal feeling preferences between shafts. I would say that it's absolutely acceptable to use each company's "stated" flex as a baseline to start this experiment down the tracks and adjust from there based on personal preferences. I just figured I'd lend a hand and take some of the guessing out of it by conducting and documenting my own experiment for others to follow. 

Point 3: you are correct that getting fit is extremely important. BUT.. if I go to a fitter (and I have) and they determine that my SS is 110 MPH (and they have), and I tell them that I like shafts around 65g, unless I specifically say "Autoflex", there's no way that me or the fitter will ever know that a lighter weight and flex profile might better benefit me. On the flip side, if I don't know what weight shaft I like, and the fitter, by conventional wisdom puts me in a 65 or 70g shaft, I would say "that feels good to me" neither of us knew any different. Additionally, if I do say "Autoflex", do you honestly think the fitter will say or even know that there are 10 other less expensive, better performing options? I'll probably get sold an $800 Autoflex at that point. 

Big picture man.. just go along for the ride and work with us here. You might actually enjoy it. 😬

So why go to a fitter at all, if ever? To me they're a sham and a fad. It's so easy to educate yourself with all the data these days.  They know nothing more than me, and nothing the average golfer couldn't pick up in 20 minutes of study.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

29 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

So why go to a fitter at all, if ever? To me they're a sham and a fad. It's so easy to educate yourself with all the data these days.  They know nothing more than me, and nothing the average golfer couldn't pick up in 20 minutes of study.

I'm sure this could be a whole other thread (probably is).

A private fitting session with a professional fitter is probably worth it's weight vs a big box "hitting" session where you basically decide which of the 3 stock shaft options works best within a 15 min window that the sales guy gives you before he disappears. The problem is that a good # of golfers may not know that there's a difference.. and those (like me) who knows that there's a difference, may not be able to afford it, so as much as it pains my soul, my only option is to suck it up and work with a big box stores, or do my own research and fit myself. 

I'm thinking that in the next year or so, the OttoPhlex concept will start to catch on with the boutique fitters as an option to add to their repertoire. Big box however? Probably never gonna get that memo. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

25 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

For me, that's an easy answer: they have all the shaft/head combos I'd like to try, and I don't.  Even at a place where you can hit balls (Roger Dunn, say, or PGA Super Store), they're not tagging the clubs for you so you're not getting any club data, only ball data.  And the chance of the store having the head/shaft combo you want would be rare. Not impossible, of course, but rare.  

Also, for most recreational golfers, getting fitted into clubs that actually fit their game is going to genuinely help them.  Most golfers don't have a clue as to what is actually helping/hurting them - I certainly didn't, before I started to do tons of research, watch videos of fitters on YouTube, which ultimately led me to this forum. 

But for the average golfer, and I have two buddies who are the very definition of this, they want to spend their time at the course or at the range, and they're not spending free time reading up on shaft flex or head profile and what might best suit them.  But what they CAN do is spend $100(ish) bucks and go to a reputable fitter and try combos that they didn't even think of - and walk out knowing what equipment might help improve their game. 

I wholeheartedly disagree that it would only take the average golfer 20 minutes of study to find out what a fitter knows - I think the fitters in the forum can attest to that, lol.  I couldn't learn all the ins and outs of French Cuisine in 20 minutes, even if I could print out a recipe and follow it and KIND of get a creme brulee to taste pretty good. 

I don't disagree that people on here, those of us who are driven to seek out a forum of like-minded golf-nuts, might not need to go to a fitter.  I did, and I loved it, because it gave me access to every new club I wanted to try.  But lots of folks in here don't need to.  

That's the beauty of choice - everyone gets to make the best decision for where they're at in their game.  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

53 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

20 mins huh, well I don't think 20 hours would anywhere near enough. TBF I looked for a fitter and couldn't find one, if such an animal exists in NZ and I'm not going back to a Pro...

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

For me, that's an easy answer: they have all the shaft/head combos I'd like to try, and I don't.  Even at a place where you can hit balls (Roger Dunn, say, or PGA Super Store), they're not tagging the clubs for you so you're not getting any club data, only ball data.  And the chance of the store having the head/shaft combo you want would be rare. Not impossible, of course, but rare.  

Also, for most recreational golfers, getting fitted into clubs that actually fit their game is going to genuinely help them.  Most golfers don't have a clue as to what is actually helping/hurting them - I certainly didn't, before I started to do tons of research, watch videos of fitters on YouTube, which ultimately led me to this forum. 

But for the average golfer, and I have two buddies who are the very definition of this, they want to spend their time at the course or at the range, and they're not spending free time reading up on shaft flex or head profile and what might best suit them.  But what they CAN do is spend $100(ish) bucks and go to a reputable fitter and try combos that they didn't even think of - and walk out knowing what equipment might help improve their game. 

I wholeheartedly disagree that it would only take the average golfer 20 minutes of study to find out what a fitter knows - I think the fitters in the forum can attest to that, lol.  I couldn't learn all the ins and outs of French Cuisine in 20 minutes, even if I could print out a recipe and follow it and KIND of get a creme brulee to taste pretty good. 

I don't disagree that people on here, those of us who are driven to seek out a forum of like-minded golf-nuts, might not need to go to a fitter.  I did, and I loved it, because it gave me access to every new club I wanted to try.  But lots of folks in here don't need to.  

That's the beauty of choice - everyone gets to make the best decision for where they're at in their game.  

First, I know of no fitter within a thousand miles who carries the clubs I'm interested in. Second, most of the fitters have no experience with the clubs I am interested in. Third, once you have loft, lie, flex, bounce, and shaft material worked out it's all pretty basic. There are various types of heads on irons and woods that do various things. This is all easily ascertainable, as is one's swing speed, club path, and types of misses.  Fourth, any real fit that would be worthwhile would be prohibitively expensive, since it would need to last a minimum of two months and take place under various course conditions, slopes and wind and be subject to the constant tinkering that goes on with a serious golfer trying to play golf shots in real time conditions. Fifth, fitters seem to add one more layer of mystification, but don't really solve much, especially when considering honest self assessment, record keeping or old fashioned lessons.  Just take some lessons from your pga pro and ask their advice if you're a newbie or sporadic player.  It's amazing how gullible everyone is to these marketing strategies  

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

41 minutes ago, Andrew75 said:

First, I know of no fitter within a thousand miles who carries the clubs I'm interested in. Second, most of the fitters have no experience with the clubs I am interested in. Third, once you have loft, lie, flex, bounce, and shaft material worked out it's all pretty basic. There are various types of heads on irons and woods that do various things. This is all easily ascertainable, as is one's swing speed, club path, and types of misses.  Fourth, any real fit that would be worthwhile would be prohibitively expensive, since it would need to last a minimum of two months and take place under various course conditions, slopes and wind and be subject to the constant tinkering that goes on with a serious golfer trying to play golf shots in real time conditions. Fifth, fitters seem to add one more layer of mystification, but don't really solve much, especially when considering honest self assessment, record keeping or old fashioned lessons.  Just take some lessons from your pga pro and ask their advice if you're a newbie or sporadic player.  It's amazing how gullible everyone is to these marketing strategies  

Cool. Oh my god - I cannot wait to book my two month fitting. Those guys are going to be SO sick of me talking about the OttoPhlex. 

Getting this train back on the tracks, @azstu324 you've pretty much convinced me to at least try the GPB (GBP? I'm getting my acronyms mixed up). Gonna order it once GW has their site back up and running to capacity. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Cool. Oh my god - I cannot wait to book my two month fitting. Those guys are going to be SO sick of me talking about the OttoPhlex. 

Getting this train back on the tracks, @azstu324 you've pretty much convinced me to at least try the GPB (GBP? I'm getting my acronyms mixed up). Gonna order it once GW has their site back up and running to capacity. 

If you have a Golf Galaxy in your neck of the woods, they actually own GW. That's where I picked up my PLB. Was right in the shaft rack. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 hours ago, Andrew75 said:

Certainly a hot take. However not on topic of this thread. 

Feel free to create your own thread on this topic of fittings etc, however we will leave this thread for those searching for their Otto Phlex and sharing their results. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Okay so had my first swings with my GPLB 45 A flex shaft D1 swing weight

Right now distance is a little longer/same as my Oban 04 65gram shaft.  Backspin is a little higher at 2700-2800 rpm, lowest I got was 2500rpm. As with my Oban lowest I get is 2300 RPM. Not sure if the Full Swing simulator reads it a bit higher. 

Yardages are around 275 carry with rollout to 292. 

Swing speeds is 110-115mph as my Oban is usually 108-112. Ball speed was around 155-165mph. 

Still some more testing to do, also need to dial in driver swing. Was thinking on adjust swing weight to either D0 or D1.5 to see a difference either way. 

I do enjoy that fact that I can feel the load better in the GPLB. I feel like in my Oban (not sure since its Pured) I have a hard time feeling it load. Plus when I have a lower SS on some drives like a 105, the GPLB feels better. 

Edited by qLofty

Driver- Tsi3

Irons- Srixon Zx5

Putter- Sik 

16 minutes ago, qLofty said:

Okay so had my first swings with my GPLB 45 A flex shaft D1 swing weight

Right now distance is a little longer/same as my Oban 04 65gram shaft.  Backspin is a little higher at 2700-2800 rpm, lowest I got was 2500rpm. As with my Oban lowest I get is 2300 RPM. Not sure if the Full Swing simulator reads it a bit higher. 

Yardages are around 275 carry with rollout to 292. 

Swing speeds is 110-115mph as my Oban is usually 108-112. Ball speed was around 155-165mph. 

Still some more testing to do, also need to dial in driver swing. Was thinking on adjust swing weight to either D0 or D1.5 to see a difference either way. 

Not sure if you mentioned it but what loft are you playing your driver at? A lot of us noticed that the initial launch was pretty high and had to end up turning the loft down. For example my stock loft is at 9 degrees and I turned it down to 7.5° that I've never used before and launch is absolutely perfect with my spin rate around 2100 RPM.

My next question is how is your disbursement and control? Have you noticed it get any better or worse? When I started this experiment my goal wasn't really to chase more distance so much as to gain better control but I ended up actually getting even more distance and finding the control that I was after so for me it was a real win-win. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Not sure if you mentioned it but what loft are you playing your driver at? A lot of us noticed that the initial launch was pretty high and had to end up turning the loft down. For example my stock loft is at 9 degrees and I turned it down to 7.5° that I've never used before and launch is absolutely perfect with my spin rate around 2100 RPM.

My next question is how is your disbursement and control? Have you noticed it get any better or worse? When I started this experiment my goal wasn't really to chase more distance so much as to gain better control but I ended up actually getting even more distance and finding the control that I was after so for me it was a real win-win. 

So my driver is TSi3 at 10° at B1 setting. I turned it to C1 setting to get it down to 9.25°. Need to spend some more time with it but do enough the load feel I get with it. 

As for the disbursement and control. It does feel a bit better. I play a draw as I spent so much time fixing over the top when I first started golfing that it takes every fiber in my body to swing out to in now so I always swing in to out. So my misses are big draws/hooks. They did feel tighter and was a point on the range had 4 drives land within 5 yards of each other. Feel like with my Oban I have to been completely on for that to happen. 

Going to be test it more this weekend and might try to test on another simulator to compare the spin rate. Going to try to get a 30 minute session at PGASS. 

Edited by qLofty

Driver- Tsi3

Irons- Srixon Zx5

Putter- Sik