Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

I'm so torn over 3W selections

JBones

JBones, I realize that all of this is probably too late in that you've most likely got your bag together, though I hit the XTD Super FW metal(13') & 19' SH today..In a word, INCREDIBLE!!!

I totally agree. I hit the Adams XTD 14.5 with stiff Project X 8A2 several times over the weekend and I must say I was amazed. I hit bomb after bomb off the tee and the fairway. Keep in mind I have about 112 swing speed and usually hit my Callaway FT 3 FW about 260-265 off the tee and 245-250 off the deck. Sunday I hit at least 3 tee balls at least 270+ on carry alone. I hit the XTD in places my FT has never sniffed off the tee. Even in Summer. Also it was 45-50 degrees and a little blustery. Imagine what it will do in warm weather! The ballflight was a high boring flight that carried for miles. The feels was very solid and stable and I loved the look at address. Well, I loved the look after I hit a few bombs! I would say the Adams is at least 15 yards longer than my FT (which is an all time favorite club). And for comparison i hit the FT against TM RocketBallz at Golf Galaxy last week on the good launch monitor, which is pretty reasonable in discance, I think. On average I hit the RBZ a whole 1-2 yard longer than my 5 year old FT. The RBZ isn't even in the same league as the XTD. Not even close. Now I want to do a side by side comparo on the LM with XTD vs. RBZ, just for grins. I know who wins. :D

Picking a fairway wood for your game is pretty simple. Just ask yourself in what situations do you use it the most?

If you are like a lot of people that want distance from a fairway wood then try out the Adams Super XTD (if you can get over the slot on the crown), RBZ (if you can get over the white head).

IF you are looking for something that you can get better accuracy or control with and have less need for more distance then you might look into a different line all together.

I play a 16.5* 4wood and a 19* Hybrid of nothing that is current Tour Exotics CB3 (fairway) and Tour Edge Exotics CB2 Hybrid. The set up for me gives me the option to hit something else off the tee on short par 4s, tight par 5s, tight par 4s where accuracy and position are important.

The 4 wood and hybrid might also get used on long par 3s 220 - 260 and given I play the tips this is not uncommon. They can be used in the traditional way as well going for a green in 2 on a par 5 which for me is somewhat rare on the course I play as the greens on par 5s are not set up to take a long shot into them not enough reward for the risk of trying it.

Just knowing your game and what you need for your game to help gap distances then that is the best way to look at the fairway woods and hybrid combos.

I had a Adams Speedline 9032Ti 14.5 that went too long for me to bridge between the driver and 19.0* hybrid too large of a gap, would had to lose a wedge and add a 5 wood or just go in-between to a 4wood and keep my wedges. I have more emphasis on 100 and in (since play more of those shots) then i do the long part of my bag because my length in clubs.

I still have that Adams Speedline 9032Ti laying around the house with a S-Flex shaft in it that has been aligned to SST Pure (however it was done on an axis, little different process). I never hit it however, like i said it didn't work for me.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Chosing the head is only half the battle. I have had a Titleist 909F 15.5* fairway wood for quite some time. I replaced my old 980F several months ago but the performance of this club was mediocre at best. I tried the RBZ and it was a waste of time. Anyway, I had the Titleist Diamana Blue Board shaft in my 909. I replaced this shaft with a shaft that has been tipped so the tip is much stiffer than normal and less spin this weekend. It was originally a temporary fix but this thing is a beast. It is making me rethink the 3 wood as more than just a 2 shot per round club. Apparently like my driver, I was spinning the ball way too much with the 3 wood.

I am in the process or replacing all my shafts with lower spinning shafts and my initial results are spectacular. I am getting the distance I should have been getting all along. I have always liked spinning irons. I hate for the ball to bounce and then run forever. But I have to say that with Driver, Fairway Woods, and some hybrid shot I do like for the ball to bounce and roll. What a difference the right shaft makes.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

You guys are killing me. I'm gonna have to hit it now and it sounds like I might just have to pony up the cash.

I also hear that the Fubuki ax that it comes with is the real deal and not a made for, if that is true then $300 is totally worth it.

The ping i20 is a nice option as well. I wouldn't even consider TM, i20 vs xtd for me.

Although I haven't ordered it yet, I have made my decision. I'm going to get a Wishon 949mc 14* and put a Arthur Xcalibur Tour in it (been wanting to try one out). After much research and consideration, I think this is the best combo for the money; after shipping, I'll be able to build it for about $105. I probably won't be ordering it for another couple weeks, but I'll definitely post up pics and a review when I get it.

Although I haven't ordered it yet, I have made my decision. I'm going to get a Wishon 949mc 14* and put a Arthur Xcalibur Tour in it (been wanting to try one out). After much research and consideration, I think this is the best combo for the money; after shipping, I'll be able to build it for about $105. I probably won't be ordering it for another couple weeks, but I'll definitely post up pics and a review when I get it.

I'm going to be ordering an Xcalibur shaft too, possibly for all my woods and hybrids. For the money I don't think there's a better shaft out there, at least on paper. Robin also says he has the manufacturer align the most stable plane at 9'oclock to the logo.

No love for the TE CB4 here? Haven't hit it myself, but all reviews are very good.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

No love for the TE CB4 here? Haven't hit it myself, but all reviews are very good.

I had a CB4 for a day. Ballspeed was awesome, just way too low spin. If I lived in TX or AZ, some of the shots I hit would still be rolling. In the midwest, I need carry.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

The TE Tour Tour CB4 isn't a terrible club but it is not going to be for everyone. The 3+ (13*) and the 3 (15*) are both 1* open faces turning them into 12* and 14* respectively at a square face during impact roughly. The TE Tour CB4 4 (16.5*) and TE Tour 5 (18*) are a square face angle most people will see the 4 wood is a better selection for them in this line of club it will carry longer and only be about 10 yards shorter in total distance then the 3 wood.

A lot of people can't get 12* and 14* fairway woods off the ground. Just like a lot of people can't get 14*-16* Hybrids off the ground.

They need something that hit higher to maximum their total distance on a fairway wood, only some high swing speed players will get enough spin and height on the club, they are designed for the better player anyways. I play the TE Tour CB3 4 wood (16.5*) it is a lot better fit for my game then the Adams Speedline 14.5* 3 wood was.

I have had to ask myself the following questions when determining the makeup of my bag between irons and my driver.

1. What do I use my fairway woods / hybrids for the most often?

2. Do I need more control or more distane based on that noraml shot I hit with that club?

3. Do I want more workability or for forgiveness with the club?

My answers were

1. I use the fairway wood off the tee, into long par 5s in two, and long par 3s where accuracy matter, my hybrid is always into greens where accuracy matters

2. I need more control then distance to maximize my accuracy on the shot

3. I want slightly more workability then forgivness, as most of the time I need pinpoint accuracy on these clubs to hit the shot OI want into a green or specific point off the tee for a position play, My striking is good enough to have clubs with slightly less forgiveness and more workablity.

So FOR ME I ended up wioth a 4 wood that hits 260-265 yards and a 19* Hybrid that hits 240-245 yards. I see the 260-265 off the tee a lot on short par 4s, a lot on longer par 5s if i want to go at it in 2, and a good knock down club for into the wind on long par 3s at 240 range. The hybrid is used for mostly long par 3s that the 4 iron can't get to, 225 - 240 range and from the tips you get that A LOT.

Everything else from 215 down is covere by irons and wedges, which is normal on Par 4s, Par 3, and Layups for Par 5s

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Archived