Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Paradym Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Find the testers Introductions, Unboxings and Final Reviews quickly in the links below!

@Golf2MuchTesting Post Here
@MattWillGolfTesting Post Here

@funkyjudgeTesting Post Here
@JavsTesting Post Here

@BKervin Testing Post Here

A little late to the party but I have to say WOW! great write ups to the testers. I can say I'm not surprised that everyone seemed to love the Paradym irons considering all of the hype around them since launch at the beginning of the year. I have to say I was very surprised to see in the Paradym tests from @Javs & @funkyjudge that there was a commonality of the frequent "flyer". I could understand if it only happened out of the rough but to be in the middle of the fairway and hit 8-10 yard long of what you were expecting could be a little frustrating. I am sure that over time and becoming more familiar with the irons, the frequency of this happening could go down but will be curious with future updates if that is the case. Great job everyone!

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Some post review follow up. I continue to be super impressed with the shorter clubs. They have incredible turf interaction and fly high. I was in very thick rough from about 120 from the flag so clubbed up to a 9-iron. The finished about 2 1/2 feet from the hole.

IMG_1708.jpeg.4d70a5669ab8b9a4ff859c8f3772a99e.jpeg

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

1 hour ago, Swood1994 said:

A little late to the party but I have to say WOW! great write ups to the testers. I can say I'm not surprised that everyone seemed to love the Paradym irons considering all of the hype around them since launch at the beginning of the year. I have to say I was very surprised to see in the Paradym tests from @Javs & @funkyjudge that there was a commonality of the frequent "flyer". I could understand if it only happened out of the rough but to be in the middle of the fairway and hit 8-10 yard long of what you were expecting could be a little frustrating. I am sure that over time and becoming more familiar with the irons, the frequency of this happening could go down but will be curious with future updates if that is the case. Great job everyone!

These clubs are hot. I am getting dialed in; however, it is just hard to believe how far they fly! Even the lofts that were the same as my PXG’s went at least 7 yards farther!

Play like a champion today!

1 hour ago, Javs said:

These clubs are hot. I am getting dialed in; however, it is just hard to believe how far they fly! Even the lofts that were the same as my PXG’s went at least 7 yards farther!

Ok- there is some pertinent info-

we all know they go longer because of stronger lofts, but now we see that a like loft, will indeed go further- 

so then this is obviously due to structure and materials, and typically a little bit of secret dust cast into the foam prior to injection. And the PXG’s aren’t short clubs either-

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Excellent insights from all the testers.  Loved all the graphics from @Golf2Much and the interesting insights.  Next time you're up from the Keys let's play a round.  

:ping-small: G425 Driver

:ping-small: G425 3w

:callaway-small: 2 Hybrid

:srixon-small:  Z585 Irons 3-PW 

467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpg RTX Zipcore 50 Gap, 56 SW, 60 LW

:odyssey-small: 2 ball Putter

:taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour Balls

3 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Ok- there is some pertinent info-

we all know they go longer because of stronger lofts, but now we see that a like loft, will indeed go further- 

so then this is obviously due to structure and materials, and typically a little bit of secret dust cast into the foam prior to injection. And the PXG’s aren’t short clubs either-

Thank you for the feedback! Yes Sir, the same lofts still flew farther. You are also correct that PXG’s aren’t short by any means. I was just shocked at the ball speed and distance of the Callaways. I was also Star struck with the ease they produce quality shots. Even mishits fly with minimum loss of distance. Additionally. I have rarely hit one way off line with the Callaways. I could occasionally hang a PXG longer iron. I have not had this issue with these. Let me know if you need any other data or information.

Great reviews all!

Definitely interesting seeing the perspectives on these from golfers of different ages and skill levels.

My local range was actually doing a Callaway demo night yesterday, and I had a swing of a Paradym X 7 iron just for a laugh, and wow they are easy to hit.

I haven't used a game improvement iron since I was a junior, and it really does seem like the technology has improved, I was trying to hit a bad shot on purpose and pretty well couldn't. The super strong lofts definitely aren't for me, but they definitely seem like a great iron to help get the ball up in the air and keep them straighter.

I didn't get a chance to try the Paradym drivers unfortunately, but I'm really looking forward to the reviews on those now.

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

Post-Review Update:

After playing the Paradym Irons exclusively for more than six weeks, and more than 19 total rounds of golf (fifteen 18-hole rounds, and at least eight 9-hole rounds), I thought that I would put my Cobra King Forged Tec X irons back in my bag on Monday, and see if my iron play would be just as good with those irons -- it wasn't!  I hit some good shots with the Cobras, but excellent contact didn't feel nearly as good as with the Paradyms.  In addition, my distances were just a bit "off" with the Cobras .... mostly short of expectations by about 5-10 yards.  I started trying to hit the ball harder, which certainly did give me some longer carry distances, but virtually every one of these shots was a dead-pull.

Back in my bag went the Paradym Irons for my travel league match (18 holes) yesterday.  The feel was SOOOOOO much better than with the Cobras, and for the most part I got the carry distances that I expected with every iron, with one exception (more about that in just a minute). In addition, chipping with everything from the 8i through the AW was superb with these irons, where chipping has never been the Cobra Forger Tec X irons' strong suit!  Now, for that one exception: I pulled the 7-iron for my tee shot on a par-3 hole that was slightly uphill and had a pin in the rear third of the green and tucked behind a bunker.  We calculated that it was 155 - 157 yards to the center of the green and my playing partner shot the flag at 168 yards (remember, it was also slightly uphill). There is a pond to the right of that bunker, but it ends at the front third of the green, so it is only about 148 - 152 yards to carry the pond (only about four paces or 12 feet from the putting surface).  The green slopes right-to-left, especially in the rear half of the green, so if you carry the right-hand bunker your ball will roll toward the center of the green. I hit a really solid tee shot that carried over this front/greenside bunker quite easily and was thinking "that shot is going to end up close to the hole".  We never found my ball, and my teammate/playing partner first said, "It must have taken a crazy bounce into the pond".  We didn't see a ball at the edge of the pond, and the water gets murky/muddy about 3 or 4 feet from the edge.  Finally, we came to the conclusion that I probably did hit the green but bounced off the back into the really bad "junk" (swampy, reed-filled marshland behind the green, so I took my penalty drop back there and scrambled to an up-and-down bogey.

Other than the mysterious 7-iron shot described above, where my ball was never found, I got exactly what I expected with the Paradyms yesterday, hitting the first two greens (long par-4 that calls for a layup shot off the tee because of a water hazard all the way across the fairway at 220-230 yards off the tee that requires a 285+ yard carry at a minimum to reach the other side, and a 508-yard par-5) with my 5-iron on both holes.  These two shots were both between 188-194 yards, and I was pin-high on hole #1 and about 30' short with a slightly uphill putt on hole #2.  I hit approach shots where I was planning on putting them, in other words below the hole for uphill putts, on almost every hole, and only missed 2 or 3 greens (and not by much) other than the lost ball on that par-3 that I described in the paragraph above.

Yes, the Paradym Irons are now staying in my bag!

Edited by funkyjudge
Typo

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I HAVE FIGURED OUT THE "HOT DISTANCE" ISSUE!

Watching this video, I came to the realization that all of the "super hot" distances that I have been getting with the Paradym Irons came from shots where I was hitting the ball dead out of the middle of the face --

If you watch until near the end of this video, you will see the differences between hitting the ball slightly off-center (heel and toe), massively off-center (heel and toe) and absolutely dead-center on the face.  The tester hit thin shots and shots that were slightly thin, in addition to the heel and toe shots and the dead-center hit(s), all with a Paradym 6-iron, and the balls hit dead-center with a square face went 12 yards farther than his average of "otherwise good" shots, and up to 23 yards longer than the average toe hits. It is clear to me that those "hot" and "flyer" shots that I was hitting must have been absolutely pure strikes in the center of the sweet spot, because this is almost exactly what I was seeing. He also hit shots with a clubhead speed in the low-mid 80s, which is exactly my clubhead speed range with a middle iron, as well as shots with his normal 95 MPH 6-iron speed, and the shots hit at 82 to 84.9 MPH with that Paradym 6-iron almost identically matched my experiences with these irons.

Mystery solved!

Spoiler

On 5/27/2023 at 8:58 AM, funkyjudge said:

If you watch until near the end of this video, you will see the differences between hitting the ball slightly off-center (heel and toe), massively off-center (heel and toe) and absolutely dead-center on the face.  The tester hit thin shots and shots that were slightly thin, in addition to the heel and toe shots and the dead-center hit(s), all with a Paradym 6-iron, and the balls hit dead-center with a square face went 12 yards farther than his average of "otherwise good" shots, and up to 23 yards longer than the average toe hits. It is clear to me that those "hot" and "flyer" shots that I was hitting must have been absolutely pure strikes in the center of the sweet spot, because this is almost exactly what I was seeing. He also hit shots with a clubhead speed in the low-mid 80s, which is exactly my clubhead speed range with a middle iron, as well as shots with his normal 95 MPH 6-iron speed, and the shots hit at 82 to 84.9 MPH with that Paradym 6-iron almost identically matched my experiences with these irons.

Kinda hard to figure the yardage if a dead center shot adds 12 yards and just a little off center results in the normal distance. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

2 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

Kinda hard to figure the yardage if a dead center shot adds 12 yards and just a little off center results in the normal distance. 

Yes, indeed!

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

I must say that I have become used to the distances in the last couple rounds 

21 hours ago, Javs said:

I must say that I have become used to the distances in the last couple rounds 

Reading a lot of your posts and it is pretty clear you hit in the center a lot. That would make the distance usable.  Great reviews and have fun with the clubs.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Just now, Beakbryce said:

Reading a lot of your posts and it is pretty clear you hit in the center a lot. That would make the distance usable.  Great reviews and have fun with the clubs.

Thank you! Yes, I’m finding these clubs awesome!!

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to 2023 MGS Forum Member Test: Callaway Paradym Irons

2nd POST-REVIEW UPDATE

Last Thursday, I played another travel league match using the Paradym irons, and last night I played nine holes in my regular Monday evening recreational league. Results were mixed -- fantastic results last Thursday, including several shots that I stuck really close to the pins (within 8-10 feet), helping me to shoot a net 68 (with my 15 handicap, that's a rarity in itself), and more importantly to beat my opponent handily by a score of 3-0. I won both nines by 3 holes and beat an opponent that I was giving 6 strokes.

Last night was quite a different story, and I knew that it would be after hitting less than 10 balls from my small bucket while warming up on the range. I was hitting the ball all over the clubfaces -- high, low, toe and even a heelward shot (not a shank, but about 1/2' to 3/4" toward the hosel from the center of the face).  I am going to chalk this up to the fact that I did a pretty extensive workout yesterday and no matter how much post-workout and pre-round stretching I did, I felt very "tight".  Note to self: This has happened twice now, so other than stretching no more workouts on golf days!

I still love the Paradym irons, and even contacted Callaway Golf and had them build me a custom Paradym X 4-iron to go with the 5-AW set of Paradyms.

Spoiler

After playing with the Paradym X's for two months, I thought it was time to pull my former gamers, Ping G30's, out of exile and see if my issues with my iron play were due to some creeping in of some bad swing mechanics or the Paradym X's.   After the round, it was pretty clear that it's likely more the "archer" than the "arrows".  

I hit less than a handful of decent iron shots all day.  The one exception was a par 3 seven iron that yielded my only birdie of the day.  For most of the round I struggled to hit my old friends consistently.  The feel just didn't seem to be there.  Part of it was my swing issues and part was being somewhat spoiled by the feel of the forged Paradym X's when by accident I did hit it flush!   

After the round, even before I changed out my golf shoes, I decided on four things:  First, the Ping G30's are being banished to the shed for now.   Second, the Paradym X's are back for now.  I seem to hit them a little better, but still struggle a bit trying to generate enough height and spin to hold our relatively small greens.  Third, it's time for professional help with my swing.  It's tough as there's really only one option for any kind of lessons here so my options are limited.  Finally, it may be time to look at other new iron options that may be better suited for my game and physical situation.  By that, with an iron swing speed in the low to mid 60's I may need an iron and shaft combination that will launch the ball higher with more spin to help me hold my smaller greens.  

In four weeks I turn 67.  The way I keep my irons (my G30's were purchased used seven years ago and still would be using them if not for the MGS review), I might not have too many iron sets left in me.  So, part of my search is thinking ahead and what I may need not only today, but into my mid-70s.   So for example, I've been talking to Sub 70 golf about their clubs (thanks @GolfSub70 for the feedback and contacts).  The debate is do I go with the hollow body, game improvement 699 V2's for today or look at the hollow body, super game improvement 799's to get the added launch and forgiveness for tomorrow?  With their demo program, I may have to try both.

I guess as I get older, a decent metric of success is living past your last set of clubs you bought!  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

On 6/14/2023 at 5:49 AM, Golf2Much said:

After playing with the Paradym X's for two months, I thought it was time to pull my former gamers, Ping G30's, out of exile and see if my issues with my iron play were due to some creeping in of some bad swing mechanics or the Paradym X's.   After the round, it was pretty clear that it's likely more the "archer" than the "arrows".  

I hit less than a handful of decent iron shots all day.  The one exception was a par 3 seven iron that yielded my only birdie of the day.  For most of the round I struggled to hit my old friends consistently.  The feel just didn't seem to be there.  Part of it was my swing issues and part was being somewhat spoiled by the feel of the forged Paradym X's when by accident I did hit it flush!   

After the round, even before I changed out my golf shoes, I decided on four things:  First, the Ping G30's are being banished to the shed for now.   Second, the Paradym X's are back for now.  I seem to hit them a little better, but still struggle a bit trying to generate enough height and spin to hold our relatively small greens.  Third, it's time for professional help with my swing.  It's tough as there's really only one option for any kind of lessons here so my options are limited.  Finally, it may be time to look at other new iron options that may be better suited for my game and physical situation.  By that, with an iron swing speed in the low to mid 60's I may need an iron and shaft combination that will launch the ball higher with more spin to help me hold my smaller greens.  

In four weeks I turn 67.  The way I keep my irons (my G30's were purchased used seven years ago and still would be using them if not for the MGS review), I might not have too many iron sets left in me.  So, part of my search is thinking ahead and what I may need not only today, but into my mid-70s.   So for example, I've been talking to Sub 70 golf about their clubs (thanks @GolfSub70 for the feedback and contacts).  The debate is do I go with the hollow body, game improvement 699 V2's for today or look at the hollow body, super game improvement 799's to get the added launch and forgiveness for tomorrow?  With their demo program, I may have to try both.

I guess as I get older, a decent metric of success is living past your last set of clubs you bought!  

I am with you. Almost 71. I went in a slightly different direction with clubs and just want to pass this along. You might want to consider hybrids. I swapped out my mid irons for 4, 6, 7 hybrid and haven't looked back. I hit the 6 and 7 hybrid at least twice as high as I ever hit an iron but can still play them back in my stance and knock them down. I have 8-pw and 3 vokey wedges as my only irons. Fun times. 

16 hours ago, Beakbryce said:

I am with you. Almost 71. I went in a slightly different direction with clubs and just want to pass this along. You might want to consider hybrids. I swapped out my mid irons for 4, 6, 7 hybrid and haven't looked back. I hit the 6 and 7 hybrid at least twice as high as I ever hit an iron but can still play them back in my stance and knock them down. I have 8-pw and 3 vokey wedges as my only irons. Fun times. 

@Beakbryce thank you for the suggestion.  I'll give it some thought.  spacing the hybrids like that may help get my 60 degree wedge back into my bag as well.

3 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

thank you for the suggestion.  I'll give it some thought.  spacing the hybrids like that may help get my 60 degree wedge back into my bag as well.

Little more info. Since you have a 7 wood, you might want to go with 5,6,7 hybrid. My heavenwood and 4 hybrid have the same loft, but the heavenwood has a 5 wood length shaft and goes much higher and 10 yards longer than the 4 hybrid, which keeps my distance spacing right. My 6 hybrid has a longer than normal shaft as well which means I can either choke down on the 4 hybrid or gear up on the 6 hybrid for the distance gap between the two of them. That is one advantage with the older Big Bertha 19 hybrids, you can swap out the shaft and adjust loft to make a club for specific distances.

My Vokeys are 50,54,58. I couldn't golf without my 58, so hoping you can get your 60 back in the bag.

Testing different clubs should help your choices.

Update on the Paradym irons. Bottom line up front: I am still loving these clubs. I have figured out the yardage and distance control. I have worked with them enough now that I feel comfortable flighting them high or low. They can work the ball both directions; however, the preferred flight seems to be a tight draw. They are still easy to hit and very long on well struck shots. Misses do not lose too much distance. The best combination with these irons for my game has been using the Callaway 2022 Chrome Soft X LS Golf Balls. Feel free to drop any questions about the irons.

Edited by Javs

• 2 weeks later...

These irons will be in my bag for a very long time. The more I play them the more I like them. The ball flight is the best I've ever experienced both in terms of height and distance and after a lesson with the pro at my home course, I am seeing an improvement in my accuracy as well. I feel that with improvements to my swing I will see a distance improvement as well. Because when you hit these irons flush, they just go. I couldn't be happier.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

These irons will be in my bag for a very long time. The more I play them the more I like them. The ball flight is the best I've ever experienced both in terms of height and distance and after a lesson with the pro at my home course, I am seeing an improvement in my accuracy as well. I feel that with improvements to my swing I will see a distance improvement as well. Because when you hit these irons flush, they just go. I couldn't be happier.

I am glad they are working for you! In my experience with the Paradym irons, I agree fully. I love these irons. They are the best I have ever played. These sticks have made my game better! I used to always be looking for the next set, but I found the only set I need!

3rd POST-REVIEW UPDATE:

It’s been 3-1/2 weeks since my last update, and I have played another four 18-hole and three 9-hole rounds using the Paradym irons. Included in these rounds have been three competitive rounds in my statewide travel league and two 9-hole league rounds. I have played well enough to have my 9-hole league handicap drop by two strokes and my USGA Handicap Index has been reduced by another half stroke. In consecutive rounds, I shot 80, 38 (9 holes), and 83, and had my putting been a bit better, the two 18-hole rounds would have been 3 to 5 strokes better.

In my 9-hole round of 38, my ball-striking with the Paradym irons was superb. The only things that kept me from shooting even par or better were two wayward tee shots (one, a 4-wood that I pushed right into a water hazard, the other a driver that I hit well on a shorter par-4 where I was attempting to drive the green that took a hard kick off of a greenside mound and ended up behind a tree).

Overall, I remain very happy with these Paradym irons, and they are staying in my bag.

Spoiler

I might as well round out the tester's latest follow up with my latest Paradym X experiences.

I play three times a week (sometimes four including a non-profit scramble), so I've given the Callaway's a good run.  I wish I could sing the same Paradym praises like my fellow testers.   Statistically, I'm seeing only a marginal performance improvement compared to my previous G30's.  My approach shot accuracy for 100-150 yards (yardage where Paradym X's perform) was up slightly with the Callaway's (37% versus 33% with the Pings).  Not surprisingly to their more aggressive lofts, the number of shots long almost doubled (3% to 5%) with the Paradym X's and the iron shots short was down about 15% (48% with the Pings to 41% with the Paradym X's). 

My shots gained with my approach shots did improve over 1 stroke (0.5 to 1.69 with the Paradym X's).  However, the improvement was within 50-100 yards (0.92 to 1.42 mostly with my Edison wedges and the Paradym X's A wedge) and 150-200 yards (-1.25 to -0.88 which is mostly my fairway woods).  In the iron sweet spot of 100-150 yards, my strokes gain dropped slightly (0.72 to 0.56) with the Paradym X's. 

Overall, some small improvements, but probably not enough to make me feel totally comfortable with them sticking in the long term.  

With my slow swing speed (low to mid 70 with a driver, mid-60's with irons), I still struggle getting the height and ball rotation with the Paradym X's to hold my course's small classic Rees Jones' greens.  I'm looking to take some lessons over the next few weeks to see if I can improve the ability to hold the greens.  I hate to say this (as it makes me feel like I'm giving up a little as I approach my 67th birthday), but I'm also demoing some super game improvement hollow hybrid-like irons to see if they can help me through some of my green holding difficulties.  I'd love to keep the Paradym X's in the bag as I think they are a beautiful looking iron!  But it's ultimately their performance that will drive staying in the bag.  

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Callaway Paradym Irons - 2023 Forum Review

I am excited to announce an additional tester for the Callaway Paradym Irons!!

@BKervin received her set of irons after testing had completed, and has been putting the Paradym X irons through its paces to provide her review for you all.  

I have linked her testing post HERE and in the header at the top of the page.  

Watch for her review and how the Paradym X Irons worked for her game!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

[Testing Review Placeholder]

Introduction

I can’t believe I was chosen to test these Callaway Paradym ☓ irons as an additional reviewer.  Thank you so much to MyGolfSpy, Callaway and @Golf2Much.  @Golf2Much was kind enough to offer the irons that where not what he had selected returned to Callaway – Callaway told him he could keep them but he offered them back to forum.  I was asked to if I would like to be an additional tester on these.  Thank you everyone for allowing this opportunity to put my hands on these beautiful clubs, what a privilege!

I was born and raised right here in Bradford, Pennsylvania area.  I have 2 grown children and 3 grandchildren.  My son lives here in Bradford and my daughter lives in Spencerport, NY (near Rochester).  Currently, I am insuring businesses on a part time basis (more retired than working). 

I started golfing over 20 years ago with my husband and children.  I had not really had the time to commit to golf as I would have liked working.  My husband retired January of 2022.  My employer offered me a part time position at that time so we could enjoy his retirement.  It was just too good to pass up.  This has allowed us to winter in Pawleys Island, SC January – April.  We golfed most everyday while there.  My handicap is not at a great number at 28.5 but I am working on getting that down.

The course that I play on regularly is the Pennhills Club here in Bradford.  Walter Travis designed the course and the first 9 holes were completed in 1922.  14 of the 18 holes involve water on the 6,400 yard course with undulating greens making it a challenge. The course is far more open at this time than it had been, as there was a tornado that took out many trees and the course was closed for a few weeks to clear them and get power back to the clubhouse.  The clubhouse is like an old castle.

I do not have a long drive nor a high swing speed, but I can typically keep the ball in the fairway or just off the fairway.  I have learned how to hit out of the sand with the winters in South Carolina.  My true strength is my putting.  I am not sure if it’s the undulating greens that I am used to playing but I seem to be able to read the greens fairly well. My biggest challenge is my approach game.  I have been working on my irons and currently have PXG 0211Z clubs that I was fitted for this winter.  These replaced my TaylorMade Miscela clubs.

I did not have a fitting for these clubs but have brand new hand my downs from @Golf2Much.

Unboxing

20230610_202355.jpg.fed7e0290523776fd71dadfb6c966055.jpg

These clubs had to make an around the block trip to my home.  They went from Callaway to Key West and then north to me.  They were packed extremely well and made the journey unscathed.  You can see that there was cardboard between each club. Each club was sealed in plastic and then bubble wrapped.  @Golf2Much included the packing slip so that I could see what was shipped.  The pictures of these irons just don’t do them justice.  They are beautiful.  They are polished to a shiny gloss almost mirror like with the face being a more matted finish.  The blue Callaway Parardym X insignia is just gorgeous. The Aldila Ascent Shafts design with black, grey and blue compliment the blades very nicely. The Golf Pride CP2 Pro Wrap grips are comfortable and very grippy.  No slip in the hand without a glove on as I unbox them.

20230611_123915.jpg.83b8e97242e6077ffa808b3022901233.jpg

20230611_124023.jpg.df11112bbd8133d845117902583397bf.jpg

With the technology behind the clubs, it’s hard to believe they can look so beautiful and unassuming.

20230611_124616.jpg.7e93b0dd9e80ca80eae3bb5f21c18d7f.jpg

Final review:

Thank you MyGolfSpy and Callaway for the opportunity to review the Paradym X irons.  It was my pleasure.  This is my first testing opportunity with MyGolfSpy, I do not have all the statics that others have with their computer analysis, but hope you find this review informative from the higher handicapped recreational golfer that plays very frequently.

First impressions (20 out of 20 points):

Callaway states that these irons will improve my game with a more forgiving forged face based on AI technology.  I am eager to put these to work for me.

These irons are beautiful to look at and I hope they are as forgiving and improve my consistency as they are designed to do.  Pictures of these irons just can’t do them justice. The feel, the look, the precision of craftsmanship in these irons is remarkable.  They have a cohesive blend from the grip to the head.  There isn’t one place that your eyes stop that doesn’t bring pleasure if such a fine piece of equipment.

20230613_172208.jpg.0d91fe6ac5026139b50af998bf3ddaf5.jpg20230613_172224.jpg.e469fc7ad11d2c0062472b997ed2a620.jpg

Aesthetics (10 out of 10 points)

These irons are so easy on the eye.  I thought that the shiny metal shaft would create reflection or glare for me but have found that they do not have any impact.  I have never had a chrome shaft, so this was totally new to me.  The irons feel good in the hand with a sublte weighting of the club head.  The nice click when you strike the ball is pleasant to hear as well.

I have had other golfers ask what I am playing as they are such an attractive club.  I have even had others ask to use them for a stroke or two.  They are never disappointed either.

20230611_124616.jpg.1c489abac4e5b10c92b71887e12ecc41.jpg

The Numbers (10 out of 10 points)

My mid game with irons has always been a challenge to me.  I don’t seem to be able to be consistent in the swing, loft or direction of the ball off the face of the PXG 211 irons.  I am not a long hitter with my drive around 130 – 150 so my irons play a big part of my game. 

These clubs where much more accurate to the green – consistently getting me either on the green or fairly close to the green, which is the way of my game not a club error.  The feel in my hands provide stability with consistent swing, whether it was a full swing or a partial swing.  The irons provide about a 10 – 12 yard gain.

The distance is much more consistent as well as the trajectory.  I was hitting each of the irons a consistent distance, as you can see by the chart below compared to my current PXG 211s.  I did not compare club number to club number as the loft was different from the PXG to the Callaway.  i used the comparable PXG 211 loft.

Callaway Paradym X 7, 8, 9, PW, AW - I did not currently have an AW and did not have anything to compare it to in my PXG lineup.

PXG 211 6, 9, 8, 9, PW - I kept the 6i in play as there wasn't a Callaway to compare it to.

Each of the Callaway clubs played a straighter and tighter flight.  Landing on the green 50% more than with the PXG.

On The Course (20 out of 20 points)

The irons are solid on impact and have me on the green more frequesntly.  They are consistent in the distance and the accuracy of the ball flight.  The ball comes off the face with a nice arch that is easy to achieve with each swing (other than operator error).  The “shiny” shaft did not impact my play – I actually forgot that they were shiny until someone would comment on them.

My iron usage had been erratic at best – too long, too short, too right, too left – you name it and that was me on the approach to the green.  I was becoming more and more frustrated with my green approach.  The Callaway Paradym X has changed my mind about this area of play.  They have created a consistent straight flight with consistent distance creating a much more enjoyable game for me.  The head of the club provides more forgiveness than I have seen in my PXG 211s.  The Paradym X in the rough is such a smooth transition from the PXG 211s.  I always could feel the pull of the rough on the face/toe of the iron with the PXG but I don’t feel that with the Paradym X.   I have even received compliments on my improved iron play during league play.  This in itself is a complement to the iron.

The Good, the Bad and the In between (20 out of 20 points)

While I was not part of the original group having the clubs custom built for me, the good would need to start with the look of these irons right out of the box.  From the grip to the brilliant shiny shaft to the gorgeous head with the blue Callaway inset is just a pleasure to look at.  If looks were it’s only badge of glory, it would be disappointing unless hung on the wall as art, but the effects of these irons on my game are incredible.  With my slow swing speed and an inconsistent swing these preformed so much better than anticipated.  I was on the green 50% more than with my PXG 211s.  They removed a great deal of the variance of my ball strike and trajectory of the ball in a much straighter direction.  It helped remove the far left or right shot.  It built much more confidence in my swing.  I was able to reduce my index from 31.5 to 28.5 over a short period of time.  Having my best game ever while using these irons.

They have earned a spot in my bag at this time as they are improving my outcome on a consistent basis.  This also creates confidence in myself and my game, which can only increase my ablity to play, it definitely won't hurt it.

I cannot find anything “ugly” about these irons – they are simply a beautiful piece of equipment that has enhanced my game.

Play It or Trade It? (20 out of 20 points)

This is a definite Play It!  From the door step to the green these irons do not disappoint.  They only improved my game.  The straighter line, the higher trajectory, the closer to the green – I just can’t go back to the old irons.

20230613_180648.jpg.8f2fefeee8062c171c0641e7a3e52869.jpg

Conclusion

I have played Miscella clubs for most of my golf life with a change to the PXG 211s February 2023.  I have never been in love with an iron like I have the Paradym X. Before the Paradym X I hated to even consider needing to pull out an iron.  The Paradym X are terrific irons that helped my confidence with a much more consistent straighter and tighter trajectory.  They have increased my distance by 10 – 12 yards with a much more accurate outcome.  Callaway is setting a high standard for great irons that also look so pleasing to the eye from the grip to the shiny chrome shaft to the forged head with the Callaway blue emblem.  I am a higher handicap player and these are a game changer for me!

Final Score (100)

Edited by BKervin

B

Looking forward to BKervin's test. My wife is extremely interested to read a lady testers comments. She currently has Cobra irons but would consider a fitting if they work out.