Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SQAIRZ SPEED BOLD Shoes - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

5 hours ago, JeremyD said:

I had my wife measure my fingertips standing in each pair. That was my science.

I would think that is a good measurement starting point.  We use that for club length so if you were an additional inch up during a fitting they may recommend a longer (+1"/2 or +1") shaft length; if you were in bare feet then...  Come to think of it, it seems like it might be a good standard for club fitters to measure us in bare feet vs. shoes for club length in case someone isn't wearing their gamer shoe or there is shoe change down the line 🤔; something to think about in future fittings.  Anyway, back to the issue at hand; as a runner the concept of heel-toe height and drop impact on running gate etc. is familiar to me.  The concept transfers over to any athletic endeavor so it interests me here.  I know that I really like the flat feel of playing in bare feet, talk about being connected to the ground.  But it can be hard to generate power in bare feet because there is no grip there.  While I think being flat and in contact is good, having an athletic, balls of the feet stance is also good for generating power (boxing, tug-of-war judo, wrestling, other martial arts, etc.) so it is in an interesting discussion and I don't think anyone should get hung up in the measurements because sometimes that is just a number.  The reason I mentioned it was because I was trying to figure out what changed and I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.  What changed for me could have been any number of things and I cannot "blame" the shoe; especially now that I have had a few rounds with consistent contact wearing those same Sqairz shoes.  

A lot of interesting discussion happens here, I like it.  I just hope no one is making judgements based on one perspective or one facet of a review or the resulting back-and-forth.  The great thing about this testing and the reviews, IMO, is that it is done by a bunch or real people, in the real world, and there is usually good discussion surrounding those experiences, good and bad, that covers the bases - especially when there seems to be an issue (e.g. Tester A: I found glove A did not fit me well and it tore on my first use.  Reader 2: Wow! Really, I loved the fit. Tester A: Yeah, well I usually wear a size Hulk and the first glove I got was a ladies petite, ultra-small.  Reader 2:  Wow, did you ever get another in the right size?  Tester A: Yes. I didn't have my coffee that morning and it seems I got my infant daughter's Barbie glove mixed up with the test glove in the dark that day and now that I have the right size fit and wear are amazing. 🤣) *** Quasi-non-legal Disclaimer: the preceding interaction was a simulation; that interaction never really happened, to the author's knowledge. It was randomly generated, late at night, while drafting responses on multiple threads and multiple web-sites, to illustrate a point and provide an attempt at humor.  If the point was missed and/or the attempt at humor fell flat with someone it is solely the fault of the author of the preceding statements (and maybe the readers faulty sense of humor 😁); all other players in the discussion or those responsible for the site are hereby absolved of any responsibility for a failure of understanding or humor due to the author stating so 😝***

Seriously though, I hope the discussion of these measurements isn't becoming a rabbit hole that everyone is running down.  Cheers.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

On 7/30/2023 at 4:08 AM, NC Golfer said:

I have a fragile trail knee. It gets tweaked easily. Everyone boasts the stability of these shoes. Does it make you feel locked in, in the lower body and can it tweak a trail knee? I know this depends on the person. But, just curious if anyone felt this was an issue, putting pressure on the the trail knee?

Interesting question.  I had to think about it for a minute and do a little practice swinging.  I think there may be some confusion between "stability" and being locked to the ground.  I do not feel like I am strapped down and cannot transition forward to back and back to front during the swing.  I don't feel like there is any torque on, or needed around, my knees to rotate back or through the ball.  When I think and reference "stability" I am thinking about ... trying to come up with some good comparisons...

1.  Think trying to stand on ice an ice skate vs. a regular shoe with crampons.  Obviously an exaggeration.  But That is pretty close to how I felt when I went from hitting some balls with the Sqairz then went back to walking around in my old shoe; again it wasn't quite that drastic, but man was it noticeable (Keep in mind I really like those old shoes and am NOT trying to disparage them, but the difference was noticeable).  Obviously a skate blade provides a sharp edge to bite into the ice and let you push off, but unless you are experienced you can easily roll or slide and not get a bite; the wide base of the regular shoe and multiple edges of the crampons gives you more base to use and less chance of slipping.

2. Or maybe, think standing on a paddle board vs, stating on a water ski (not in a ski binding); you can still wobble back and forth, but a little back and forth wobble on the paddle board isn't going to result in a face plant.  Even if I could stand up without forward motion on a water ski, or a pair, trying to push off to turn or jump would result in pushing the platform down and loss of power (and a face plant).  Standing on a paddle board or ski (no binding) isn't going to restrict knee movement as my feet are not strapped to the base.

In either scenario, even if you are well balanced standing still on the narrow or wider platform, when you get ready to move the wider platform provides a stable base to push from than the narrowed platform does.  

In either scenario, if you have any reference from experience, you can smoothly rotate and move your feet, there is just more "stability" when standing flat which means there is more of a solid platform to push off of.  Maybe BobW will correct me if I am getting it wrong, but it isn't about locking your feet down and preventing movement, it is about providing that stable base to push off of and generate that extra bit of power.  There is not, or does not seem to be, any reason there would be any restriction in your knee movement/rotation that would cause a "locking in" that might cause some sort of aggravation.  But that is just what I can tell you from swinging a club wearing my old shoes, no shoes and the Sqairz.  A PT might be able to observe and give you a professional, medical/biomechanical perspective/analysis.  I hope all this gibberish helps to some minute degree? 

Good evening everyone.

I just posted my final review. 

These shoes were a lot of fun to test and are great shoes.  

I tried to be detailed but if there are any questions about my review please let me know and I am happy to answer either in this thread or via PM.

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black
Glove   RedRoosterLogo.png.8ab7e5022e0052c04f2a8a208b191ceb.png

6 hours ago, Subdiver1 said:

Interesting question.  I had to think about it for a minute and do a little practice swinging.  I think there may be some confusion between "stability" and being locked to the ground.  I do not feel like I am strapped down and cannot transition forward to back and back to front during the swing.  I don't feel like there is any torque on, or needed around, my knees to rotate back or through the ball.  When I think and reference "stability" I am thinking about ... trying to come up with some good comparisons...

1.  Think trying to stand on ice an ice skate vs. a regular shoe with crampons.  Obviously an exaggeration.  But That is pretty close to how I felt when I went from hitting some balls with the Sqairz then went back to walking around in my old shoe; again it wasn't quite that drastic, but man was it noticeable (Keep in mind I really like those old shoes and am NOT trying to disparage them, but the difference was noticeable).  Obviously a skate blade provides a sharp edge to bite into the ice and let you push off, but unless you are experienced you can easily roll or slide and not get a bite; the wide base of the regular shoe and multiple edges of the crampons gives you more base to use and less chance of slipping.

2. Or maybe, think standing on a paddle board vs, stating on a water ski (not in a ski binding); you can still wobble back and forth, but a little back and forth wobble on the paddle board isn't going to result in a face plant.  Even if I could stand up without forward motion on a water ski, or a pair, trying to push off to turn or jump would result in pushing the platform down and loss of power (and a face plant).  Standing on a paddle board or ski (no binding) isn't going to restrict knee movement as my feet are not strapped to the base.

In either scenario, even if you are well balanced standing still on the narrow or wider platform, when you get ready to move the wider platform provides a stable base to push from than the narrowed platform does.  

In either scenario, if you have any reference from experience, you can smoothly rotate and move your feet, there is just more "stability" when standing flat which means there is more of a solid platform to push off of.  Maybe BobW will correct me if I am getting it wrong, but it isn't about locking your feet down and preventing movement, it is about providing that stable base to push off of and generate that extra bit of power.  There is not, or does not seem to be, any reason there would be any restriction in your knee movement/rotation that would cause a "locking in" that might cause some sort of aggravation.  But that is just what I can tell you from swinging a club wearing my old shoes, no shoes and the Sqairz.  A PT might be able to observe and give you a professional, medical/biomechanical perspective/analysis.  I hope all this gibberish helps to some minute degree? 

Thanks, Subdiver1. I appreciate the detailed analysis! It is helpful. 

1 hour ago, NC Golfer said:

Thanks, Subdiver1. I appreciate the detailed analysis! It is helpful. 

Absolutely. I just hope the discombobulated analysis helped😁

Final review is now available. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or feedback regarding the Sqairz Bold testing.

:callaway-small: Jaws 58 wedge

:callaway-small:Paradym 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, P, AW, GW

:callaway-small: Paradym 3wood, 5wood, 7wood and Driver

:odyssey-small: White hot OG Seven putter

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to SQAIRZ SPEED BOLD Shoes - 2023 Forum Review

I decided to walk 18 this weekend. It's been a rough few months helping a sick parent, so most golf is in a cart, and as fast as I can, but doing as much walking as possible as well. Now, as a 237 lb man, I'm not the lightest, and I really put the shoes to the test again. At the end of 18, my feet still felt good. Two days later, and I don't feel any issues with my instep and heels that flare up when I walk a lot. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

WELL i must say after some hard wear and tear i think its time to replace my spikes I'm going to buy them on Thursday and will check back in with turn around time once I receive them!

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

Spikes came in and they are super easy to replace and also just paying for shipping is great 

Ogio bag

52 bent to 51 vokey 

• 4 weeks later...

Still loving the shoes we have been getting some early morning rain/ very heavy dew and i must say in the summer yes these shoes dont breathe very well but also having dry feet after a wet day of golf is also a big bonus so there is defiantly a trade off what i also like is that fact even in the wet and slick conditions i stay grounded i think next spring im just going to buy a pair of the mesh that way i have shoes for any condition i think that will take away from alot of the negatives i have about the shoes 

Ogio bag

52 bent to 51 vokey 

Does anyone know how to change the cleats out of these? My pair did not fine with a cheat tool or extra cleats. So I was not sure what to do. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

1 hour ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

Does anyone know how to change the cleats out of these? My pair did not fine with a cheat tool or extra cleats. So I was not sure what to do. 

Use this tool. You can get it at Walmart for about $5

IMG_4040.png

17 hours ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

The tool that @ScramblinMan references is the exact tool listed on the Sqairz site but for less.

Driver      PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png      G400 Max 10.5 - Project X Even Flow Riptide CB 70g 6.5 Extra Stiff
Fairway  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4W         949X - Project X Mid Launch 6.0 Stiff
Hybrid     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    3H         G Hybrid - Alta 70 Stiff
Irons     Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png             4U         699 Pro Utility - Project X 6.0 Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png              5-PW    639CB Forged Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
Wedges  Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            AW       50 JB Forged Wedge Black - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                              Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png            SW       54 TAIII 54LB - True Temper Elevate 95 MPH Stiff
                Sub70.png.65c5bfb250d7345357c4ba1b26648e6c.png                 LW       60 JB Forged Satin Wedge - Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel
Putter    368532612_LABGolf.jpg.e21b53ae4c47d5f3cfc2622cc66b2f4e.jpg              L.A.B     DF2.1
Ball        BridgestoneBlackLogo-SmallCropped.jpg.72110691d0627f2c80b847b41fec7f06.jpg             Bridgestone Tour B XS or Tour B X
Bag     PingLogo.png.a251f81c845ada3af20f32f8b6a253b0.png    2022 Hoofer Lite in Grey
Shoes   SqairzLogo.jpg.b72c9f55f7b63f0f5f6b531422f8e6ab.jpg  Speed Bold in Black

On 9/25/2023 at 6:15 PM, ScramblinMan said:

Use this tool. You can get it at Walmart for about $5

IMG_4040.png

Awesome thank you! 

12 hours ago, scubahoops said:

The tool that @ScramblinMan references is the exact tool listed on the Sqairz site but for less.

I got one (the tools shown) in the box with my order.  Getting ready to order replacement cleats, but interestingly enough, the cleats on these shoes are in better condition than those on any other shoe that I have owned and worn as much as these.

• 4 weeks later...

@Ben_Howell34, @scubahoops, @Blaine Dye, @ScramblinMan, & @JeremyD

As the end of the 2023 golf season approaches, a couple of questions for the testers:

1. Are you still wearing the Sqairz?
  2. Do you plan to wear them next season?
  3. Now that you are a couple months past the final review, any issues with durability?
  4. Lastly, will your next pair of golf shoes, be a pair of Sqairz?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. And good job on the reviews, I enjoyed reading them.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

1 hour ago, Ben Joest said:

As the end of the 2023 golf season approaches, a couple of questions for the testers:

1. Are you still wearing the Sqairz? Yes, but I do alternate between these and my FJ's. I don't plan stuff out, so I just reach down and grab whatever I see first in my garage.
  2. Do you plan to wear them next season? Definitely 
  3. Now that you are a couple months past the final review, any issues with durability? zero issues for me. 
  4. Lastly, will your next pair of golf shoes, be a pair of Sqairz? I can't answer this yet. I tend to wear shoes until they have holes. Prior to my FJ's, I wore a pair of Nike's for almost 10 years. I may not be purchasing another pair for 2, 3, or 5 years. 

(Answers in bold/italics above)

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

FWIW, www.sqairz.com has the Bold shoes (and I think ANY shoe, to be fair) for $50 off using code "SECRET50" at checkout.  I'll post this in the "deals" thread, as well, but this is a heck of a deal for anyone looking to grab a pair of these at a pretty steep discount.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

3 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

3. Now that you are a couple months past the final review, any issues with durability?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. And good job on the reviews, I enjoyed reading them.

Thanks for reaching out and asking the questions.

1 - The Sqairz are my main, go to shoe and with little exception, they are all I wear.  
2 - I live in AZ so I am planning on wearing them through the winter season and into next year.
3 - I have not seen or noticed anything of note related to wear that is outside of the normal expectations.  Everything is holding up fine and they still look and feel great.
4 - This question for me relates to number 2, since I am in AZ and the Bold shoes are not very breathable I intend to get a pair that is better suited for the heat and so for my next pair of shoes I plan to purchase a pair of the standard Speed or the Speed Mesh shoes.  I am a believer and I am tempted to purchase them now while they are running a $50 off promotion.

I hope this helps and I am happy to answer any additional questions or go into more detail if you would like.

Still wearing them and they are the only shoes I’ve worn all season since testing period started (about 50 rounds). Still love the grounded feeling and stability. Still completely waterproof as well. My only complaint is the durability. In this price range I am a little disappointed with how much they are starting to tear in the heel area(see photo). I find them very comfortable and since I have a 2nd pair that I haven’t used yet,I will continue wearing them next season. Wish the heal had a piece of leather to minimize the heal damage!

IMG_4093.jpeg.621a8bb83b452caa3c77eea8a7f7a0cf.jpeg

On 9/25/2023 at 12:43 PM, Golf2Much said:

You are welcome!  There's part of me that misses crazy work days.  Then again, being retired, not that often! 

I just wanted to make sure your score was counted and that you had the chance of influencing the outcome!  

7 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

FWIW, www.sqairz.com has the Bold shoes (and I think ANY shoe, to be fair) for $50 off using code "SECRET50" at checkout.  I'll post this in the "deals" thread, as well, but this is a heck of a deal for anyone looking to grab a pair of these at a pretty steep discount.

Hot that text earlier today a s then got sidetracked from completing the order. From the experience Ive had with these shoes I would say this is definitely a good deal.

On 10/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, Ben Joest said:

1. yes I am they are amazing and im still loving them 

2. this pair no I plan to buy some of the mesh ones because of the breathability of them I think the mesh is a better fit for me ( my feet sweat enough as is)

3 i personally have not I also don't slip any pair of shoes I have on I always loosen them up where its not tight getting on 

4 please see number 2 but it defiantly will be a pair or Sqairz  

Ogio bag

52 bent to 51 vokey 

On 10/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, Ben Joest said:

1. Yes 

2. Yes

3. No durability issues thus far

4. Most likely, but not sure. Hope it is awhile before I need new shoes. 

I thought I would give an update. After using the Sqairz all summer and through the fall so far the shoes are great.  I am still very happy with them and they look great.  I have played approx. 12 rounds in them, all using a cart (AZ heat too much to walk right now), and then many trips to the range.  They are dirty since these were taken in the course parking lot on Saturday.

PXL_20231021_170035535.jpg.973299852754bf7847f8ba193897ec3e.jpg   PXL_20231021_170050501.jpg.3ee234f8be7c952ab76addac415807b8.jpg

PXL_20231021_170047330.jpg.7f4025f88a705a02fc64a7dd8e259f06.jpg   PXL_20231021_170105701.jpg.058399b1f789e97f5d67f88841dde881.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well we have now got into the 50-60 here in Arkansas so i finally got to see how they would do in the cold hard ground theses shoes still bite the ground and i feel stable and my feet were very warm throughout  the round so that was nice

Ogio bag

52 bent to 51 vokey