MacGregor MT86 Irons - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

MacGregor MT86 Pro Testers
@DiscipleofPenickTESTING POST
@wely324TESTING POST

MacGregor MT86 OS Testers
@Hook DeLoftTESTING POST
@DoubleBogeyDadTESTING POST

@GolfSpy TCB: TESTING POST (*Forum Staff Tester)

@ZJeb67 - Re-Test Opportunity Post

Hi All,  Thanks MGS! Huge thanks to @Hook DeLoft for putting these back out to test and for getting them shipped to me. Thrilled to be selected as a re-tester. I mean, it's not a red ryder BB gun, but definitely more appropriate for my age group. I'm going to throw some movie quotes in the intro if anyone wants to pick that up.

Haven't golfed much since learning as an adult, but now the kids are grown and mostly off the payroll. I've really got hooked this year, and even bought a launch monitor for the patio sim. I'm at at 25 handicap playing with a Costco Callaway Edge set, Kirkland wedges, Costco bag, Kirkland glove, and Kirkland balls. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.  The question is, can I hit clubs not sold at my local wholesale warehouse?

Disclaimer: I am not a paid Costco shill, but I am a part owner.  At least 0.000000011% of the company, so I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

As I test these, I really want to see if I'm more accurate and if I get any extra distance. All the while remembering not to think of it as work. The whole point is just to enjoy yourself. To get more than the budget golfer hacker point of view, I've enlisted my brother in law (low handicap) and nephew (all around athlete) to try the irons as well. For a visual, imagine the some of the Fantasic Four.  Bro-law - Mr. Fantastic, Nephew - Human Torch, me - The Thing (not the most graceful on the course, but improving). A man's got to know his limitations. 

More to come in the following weeks. Light snow coming down today in South East Michigan. The heated driving range will be welcome.  Hasta la vista!

Update on the First day of Winter
Received the clubs on Tuesday (expected them on Monday, C’mon USPS!)  Immediately got them out on the patio sim for 18 holes of only iron shots.
20231219_162634.jpg.d96018895900ecfd33f1771850c5e89b.jpg

Playing the 18 with a 5 iron being the longest club gave me a lot of practice.

Mac5Iron.jpg.39d3241751e85e6f55bb39d54d340595.jpg

Today I was able to get out for a quick 9 (or 14) at my local course.  It took a little time to get used to playing off somewhat soggy ground as I’m used to practicing off the mat. 

The irons have not disappointed and I hit the green on both short par 3’s (and birdied neither)

20231222_152434.jpg.c7bb3c01c66fef68a5c037e78b45c18f.jpg

I’m still getting used to hitting the irons and winter golf in Michigan isn’t quite ideal conditions.  Next step will be the heated bays at the local driving range.  I’ll be using the SC4 launch monitor to get Science!

Update:
December 28th, high 40s, lots of rain

Local driving range with heated bays is closed between the holidays!  C'mon man!

Luckily Carl's Golfland is within 15 miles.  Despite the cool temps and driving rain, their range was packed.
Got the Bro law, nephew and myself out hitting on the range with the SC4 Launch monitor.

Nephew was absolutely crushing the 6 iron.  Ah, to be young again.
Bro Law had his usual smooth, consistent and television worthy swing.
I couldn't match the distances, but continue to hit them longer than any previous 6 iron.

CarlsData.jpg.9f59e990e188d8d41c700b878d0bab0d.jpg

Update:

December 29th, 41 degrees and overcast. Soggy course from all day rain on the 28th. 

Out to the course for a quick 9 before celebrating the 33rd wedding anniversary (no time off for good behavior)

Still hitting the  Macgregor irons longer than my usual Callaway Edge irons despite the standing water in the course.  Even a soggy day on the course is a good day

20231229_111741.jpg

20231229_111749.jpg

Update 30Dec2023

Got out again for 9 (OK, I played 14 holes as the course was near empty)

36 degrees, overcast, golf grounds mostly swamp like, but I'm determined to keep playing until snow or she who must be obeyed puts a kibosh on the season. 

Hit the 5 iron to the front of the Donald Ross designed par 4 15th hole in regulation. 

Then followed with the 5 iron on the green at the par 3 16th. 

Really starting to get a good feel for the irons despite layers of t-shirt, heated vest, hoodie, and wind proof outer shell.  Had the armpit vents open halfway, but after walking 14 holes, full venting might have been the more judicious option. #Steamed

20231230_112700.jpg

Update 8Jan2024  It's a new year and the MacGregor Irons are getting a lot of work on the backyard sim.  36 holes on Sunday and another 36 tonight.  33 degrees, big winter storm coming, this might be the last backyard sim round for a bit.  Bought right hand Kirkland gloves just to go along with the left glove to keep the fingers as nimble as possible at almost freezing.

Hit the 7 Iron to 2 feet on the 17th handicap par 3, 3rd hole for a birdie.

If the snow decides to be rain instead, my next quest is to play one par 3 hole exclusively and take some chances on a hole in one.

The (winter re-test) Review - 8Jan2024

MacGregor MT-86 OS Irons (5-PW) – Official MGS Forum Review by ZJeb67

First Impressions  (20 out of 20)

Sleek! Shiny! Throwback look!  Arrived just before Christmas and while not ideal for outdoor play in Michigan, couldn't have been more excited to try them out.

Aesthetics (10 out of 10) 

Per MacGregor:
“We were clear that we wanted to respect and honor the aesthetics and clean lines of the original”
“explosive impact for penetrating shots”
“The head is filled with a proprietary polymer which gives that buttery soft feel you know and love, while also improving acoustics for a satisfying sound.”

I agree the clubs are quite eye pleasing.  While there weren’t many other Michigan golfers out in late December, I am looking forward to my league this year and telling the MGS story.  The bro-law was quite impressed with the look similar to the clubs of yore.

I don’t know about explosive impact, but I do hit them farther than my previous irons and that is huge for me and my game.

It was hard to listen for acoustics when the ambient temp for my testing was low 30s to mid 40s and hats were in play.

cousin-eddies-snow-trapper-hat.jpg.392470222b1dfbb9a1f6163cc47df135.jpg

The Numbers (10 out of 10)

I found the irons to be accurate with better distance than I’m usually hit.
I played 3 outdoor 9+ holes rounds on a local course in cold, wet and soggy conditions.

I’m planning on getting to a warm weather location this winter to try the clubs in a warm and inviting locale. 

I got 18 rounds of 18 holes on the sim at Aviara in Carlsbad, CA.

Am I a good enough golfer to shape shots with these irons or any other?  No, not yet, but hope springs eternal.

On-Course (18 out of 20)

I’ve used these clubs on my league course and scored better in December than all my league summer scores. 

My 9 hole average was 3 strokes better than my best league month.
Is the added distance due to the ½” longer shafts?  Maybe, all I know is I get longer distance, and the same accuracy as my previous irons.

The Good, the bad, the in-between (17 out of 20)

By far, the best for me is increased distance of 5-12 yards per club and equal accuracy. The distance was great on the soggy December course where any shot had 0 roll out. The Lamkin grips were great in the cold temps. I expect they'll be just as great in the warm summer months.

Play it or Trade it? (17 out of 20)

I am absolutely playing these clubs and that’s big for someone who is all Costco all the time. I do consider myself a budget golfer so the price is a bit more than I like.  However, my Scrooge like frugality frequently leads to a false economy of worse play due to lesser clubs.  (There’s probably a lesson I could learn there. . .)

I do plan on going for a professional fitting at some point in 2024 to see what ideal irons would be and how they compare to the MacGregors.

Conclusion

Can't thank MGS and @Hook DeLoft for the re-test opportunity.  Wouldn't have believed it if someone would have told me I'd get in almost 20 rounds of golf the first 3 weeks of winter.  Between the irons and all the practice my handicap has gone from 25 to 17.5 (maybe there's something to this practice stuff they speak of)

Final Score (92 out of 100)

download.jpg.18c9025a3fb61b991735937fe112c8a0.jpg

7Iron.jpg

Edited by ZJeb67
12Jan2024 update picture sizes

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

Congratulations all, especially @DiscipleofPenick. Can't wait to see them in action at Windmill.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Congrats all! Looking forward to your reviews. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Congrats testing crew. Hope they play as good as they look

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Thanks all! And thank you MGS, this should be a really great test. My first set of irons were MacGregor Muirfield 20th Anny. They still out in the garage, maybe I'll bring them out for a little old vs. new comparison🤔

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Congratulations to all! Will read with interest. Nostalgia!

Playing one length clubs in Canada 

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed, 9°  (soon to be replace by :titleist-small: TSR2 thanks to 2023 MyGolfSpy PGA Championship Pool Sponsored by Titleist TSR Woods)
3 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Hybrid - , :cobra-small:19° Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S
Irons - :cobra-small:Speedzone One length 5-GW, 
Wedges - :cobra-small:King One 56° & 60°, 
Putter -   :mizuno-small:Mcraft II
Ball -   :vice:pro

Bag  :motocaddy:Pro series

What a great group of testers, I am honored to be testing right along side them.  I have been drooling over these irons since they were announced and I am so thrilled to have the MacGregor legacy back in the golf landscape.  Thanks to MGS and to MacGregor for this opportunity to test!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Congrats testers! Great looking clubs, looking forward to your thoughts. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Congratulations Testers!  Enjoy these beauties!!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Congrats. to the testers chosen for these irons.

Really looking forward to he comments and reviews, especially for the Pro irons.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, GolfSpy TCB said:

Testers Announced!

Welcome to the Official Testing Thread for the MacGregor MT86 Irons!

image.png

We can trace our roots all the way back to 1829, with the founders of the company, a pair of English immigrants and expert woodworkers, opening a factory in Dayton OH.

The company initially started as a producer of hand carved wooden shoe lasts, pioneering a new lathe-based technique for producing lasts faster and more accurately than anyone around.

From 1875 to 1897, the company began a transformation. Two new partners were brought on; John McGregor, an expat from St Andrews, Scotland and a die-hard golfer, as well as Edward Canby, who soon became obsessed with the game.

In 1897, the partnership began the manufacture of traditional golf shafts and clubs, one of America's very first club manufacturers.

MacGregor clubs proved popular with both professionals and amateurs alike, with hundreds of thousands of clubs being sold around the world.

The company emerged from the Great Depression with new ownership and management, who sought the services of the legendary Tommy Armour, who in turn brought his assistant Toney Penna, and tour pros Jimmy Demaret, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. This was a formidable team; during the 1950s, MacGregor was the number one club and ball on tour. 

A period of innovation and growth followed which led the company to its most iconic partnership with Jack Nicklaus. Besides dominating on the course, Mr. Nicklaus was heavily involved with the management and direction of the company, and even ended up owning the company and bringing stability after a period of mismanagement. 

image.png

Please welcome and Congratulate our Testers! Including Special Guest @GolfSpy TCB

Testing the MacGregor Pro
@DiscipleofPenick
@wely324

Testing the MacGregor OS
@Hook DeLoft
@SpencerKelly

Congrats to those chosen.  Will be great to hear how these irons perform, have always had a soft spot for MacGregor (the old Mike Souchak irons still have a place in the stable) - let’s see how the crew compares old school to new!  

IMG_4318.jpeg

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Have fun!!

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)

Congratulations you lucky dogs.  Those are some sweet sticks. I will follow your progress with them.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Can’t wait to see the testers set ups and reviews!

Currently hitting a ping g410 driver and hybrid. Titleist 715 3 wood. Ping i500 irons. Cleveland RTX 4 wedges and an odyssey white hot og 7s putter. 

Congatulations! Happy testing!

My bag consists of

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. Putter

Calloway Diablo Habanero Driver 9.5

PING eye 2 Irons (4-PW)

Nicklaus ATW 3 HYBRID

King Cobra 3 wood

King Cobra 5 wood

Sand wedge

Lob wedge

Huge congrats to these testers!!! Can’t wait to read these reviews!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Looks like a great group of testers! Looking forward to reading the reviews on the revival of a classic brand!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review