Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Anyone completely ditched fairway woods in their bags?

On 8/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, jbsap said:

As the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of ditching my 3 wood and adding an additional long iron.  Distance is one of my strengths, and I play my 3 hybrid 19.5 deg. to 240 carry.  My next iron is a P770 4 iron that I play to about 210 carry.  I am horrendous with my fairway wood, but when it does stay remotely straight it is a 270 club and is rarely used for one reason or another.  Thinking about getting a p790 3 iron and adjusting my hybrid to 18 degrees in the hopes of filling that 225 range and having the hybrid jump a few more yards.

Anyone else done something similar?  My gapping towards the bottom of the bag is pretty good so an additional wedge wouldn't help me.  

In the fairway wood slot, I generally carry only a 4-wood and it is used mostly off the tee. Until this year, I had also carried a 7-wood, but my 18* Callaway Paradym X hybrid fills the 5/7 wood slot very well.  My next club is a 21* Sub 70 949X hybrid, which I hit anywhere between 205-220 yards from off the deck. I have often thought about ditching the 4-wood, which has been in my bag for more than 4 years, and maybe putting a 16* hybrid in the bag in its place. If the recently-introduced Paradym Super Hybrid were not so darned expensive, I may have ordered one in 16* loft already.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I still play my 3 wood because I hit it well but went through numerous hybrids and 5 woods and was never comfortable with any of them. I ended up ditching 5 wood, hybrid and 4 iron. I'm playing 26 and 20 degree New Level Utility Irons and love them!   

Epic Max LS - Graphite Design Tour AD

2019 M2 15°

20° and 26° New Level NLU-01

5-PW New Level 623CB

50° and 56° Mizuno T22

60° Cleveland BECU Byron Nelson

PXG Blackjack  

I went through a phase where I eradicated my woods from the bag. I was using the Callaway Super Hybrid #2 at 15-degrees and it was maybe 5 yards shorter than a 3-wood. I really like the concept of a 2H, but I never really liked the feel of the titanium Super Hybrid. I don't know why, but the face felt dead. I then had the PXG 0211 3-wood (2022 model) and liked it, low spin and consistent. THEN I went to Dick's and started hitting last year's Stealth woods and was blown away. They had a couple of demo clubs available so I replaced both my 3H and 3W and couldn't be happier. Those Stealth woods are bombers! I know Cleveland has some super-sized hybrids as well that could replace a 3W or 5W.  

DR: PXG 0311 Gen 5 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3W: PXG 0211 with Tensei White Extra Stiff
3H: Tour Exotics EX221 with HZRDUS Smoke Black Stiff
IRN: 2021 PXG 0211 with MMT Mitsubishi Stiff 
54/58: Cleveland CBX
P: Wilson Infinite Buckingham

At the beginning of this season I had a 3w and 7w in the bag.  I hardly ever hit 3w from the fairway and I'm more consistent with my driver off the tee.  So I replaced the 3w with a 13.5 degree driver that's turned up to 15.5.  It's a fairway finding machine that I can also draw pretty consistently when needed.  I fade my driver.  I also pulled an old titleist 910 hybrid out of storage to replace the 7w that was a little too unreliable.  

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

I got rid of my 3w but I replaced it with a 5w (so not exactly what you asked for). So much easier to hit high and straight. I don't hit it that long but I can get 225-235 with my 5w so it's used primarily on second shots into par 5 or off the tee when I absolutely need to hit a fairway.

-Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5 (Kai'Li Stiff shaft)

-5 wood: Cobra Aerojet (stiff shaft)

-Hybrids: Cobra F7 stiff shaft set at 19.5 and 23.5 degree

-Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 forged 5 to PW ( Project X LZ 6.5)

-Wedges: Vokey SM7, 50, 54 and 58 degree

-Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7 (33 inches)

I play between 70 to 80 rounds per year. Living in Alberta, Canada, our season is shorter and with work, that is all I can get in, but watch out when I retire...

P.S. The picture is from my favorite course so far.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  My 3 wood is going to hang around the garage for a bit, but I do think I'm going to look for another option.  It very well could be an entirely mental issue at this point, but we all know that might be the worst kind of equipment problem.  Nevertheless, I do like seeing how other people manage similar issues.  Thanks again.

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 (D7)
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X(D5)
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5(D5)
4-5 =Titleist T100 - Modus 120X - 2 Deg. Flat (D6)
6-P =Titleist 620CB - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat, 1 Deg. Strong (D6)
50/54 =Callaway Jaws Raw - Modus 120X 2 Deg. Flat (D6, D7)
58= Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat (D7)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Ghost (2024) 
Ball - Titleist ProV1X Left Dash
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy

Last summer my Skillest coach had me take my FW out of my bag until I could hit them reliably. Looking at my Arccos recaps (I’d send her a quick screen grab of my round) she determined I was losing too many shots off those clubs - I’d be better off hitting a longer iron into the green on the par 5s - the only time I really used them. So I worked hard on them and they are back in the bag this year. But I definitely saved some strokes last fall.  If you end up hitting a 100 yard ground ball, you might as well pull them. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Yes - with my swing speed and consistent, my hybrids vastly outperform any fairway woods I have ever owned - and for me, they are far more versatile 

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

Live in Tampa area,picked up an old Cobra baffler 16° and 23° at T&D golf for under 80$. Never looked back. Cut them down to my size. At 75 consistency not length is my mantra. Can't reach any of our par 5s in two, get me to 100yrds,get it on the green, 2 putt and move on. 190 with the 16°. New 5i is 21° took over a year to master it.

Started with 100$ set out of PX in White Sands NM 1970..53yrs later Miz 923hm. 1.9 hncp.

Nope.  Play a Driver, fairway, and two hybrids as listed below in my profile.  I normally hit my driver straight or with a butter cut.  But there are occasions when I need a draw and that fairway will come into play or on some short par fours.     

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

• 4 weeks later...

Dumped all FWs a while ago. Use a 2 Super hybrid turned down to 15* plus a 3hy at 18* and 4hy at 22*. So much more control with the shorter shafts and versatility out of thicker rough and even chipping with some long bump and runs.

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star

Just pulled the trigger myself. Got a rogue st max hybrid. Haven’t even hit it yet. It can’t be any worse. If I have success with it I’ll consider going to a lower loft as well. 

Driver- Sim2 max

5 wood- Sim max

20’ hybrid- epic flash

irons- 5/gw Pxg 0211 r flex steel

wedges -52,56 Cbx 2 black

putter- Bettinardi queen bee6

I cannot hit a 3w off the deck to save my life.  When I do make contact it turns into a horrendous fade and usually OB.  A friend gave me a Ping G5 5w around 19 degrees, and I've pured it straight up the pike to around 200 yards.  If I'm in the rough, my Callaway 4h is the go to club in my bag.  I'm considering a TM M3 3w to complement my M3 driver, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

2-4 Hybrid are clubs below driver for me and sometimes I also drop the 2H leaving a 19* 3H as my club after driver. I tried to make a 5W work this season and it started off well, but if my swing isn't at it's best my misses are worse with a wood versus hybrid. As someone who's primary shape is a fade with longer clubs, the draw bias of hybrids also helps to minimize my faults even compared to using the maximum draw settings on a fairway wood. 

My 3H is 230-240 off the tee and up to 250 on best strikes. About 10-20 yards less off the ground and any approach shot longer than this is probably not something I should be taking on at my skill level anyway. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

As a newer player, I have really liked my 5w off the tee (on very short par 4s, very tight fairways, or because my driver just isn't behaving), and off good fairway lies. I find it launches easier and higher than my hybrids. It is more susceptible to bad shots, both pulls and slices, and both fat and thin shots - I do really need to catch it pretty clean to get a shot I'm pleased with. At the distances I'm hitting it, I'm usually not thinking much about soft landings on the green, though.

I like my hybrids out of the rough, or when a straight shot is really important (i.e., green protected by bunkers on both sides). I play two used Titleist hybrids, both of which I picked up used for about $60 each, and am continually impressed with how straight and forgiving they are. When greens are soft, they will hold the green; when they're not, I'll usually try to stay short to stay out of trouble and hopefully run it up.

My longest iron is a 6. I thought about getting a 5i as well, but ended up getting a 5h that matched my existing 4h. So far, I'm very pleased with the decision. I have so much more confidence standing over the ball knowing that if I deliver the clubhead to the back of the ball, I'm going to get a decent shot that's likely not different than what I envisioned, even if I don't strike it perfectly. With long irons, I do not have that confidence.

At some point, I will probably need to consider whether to round out the bag with either a 7w or a 3h, but right now my gaps are close enough (and my distances inconsistent enough) that I don't think it makes much sense. One a good strike, I get about 200 from the 5w, 180 from the 4h, and 160 from the 5h.

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

I did until this year. I have an inherited set of clubs from my father in law, and I received a 2004 Taylormade R580XD driver.  I have been hitting the driver pretty well for a player of my level, and so I've just kept in the bag. I had some older fairways woods that have never felt right, so I went on the Fleabay and found teh matching 3,5,7 wood with the exact same shaft as the driver. I've since been able to finally make good contact 5 and 7 wood fairly consistently. My 3 wood was always a a club I would top the hell out of the ball, but now I'm starting to make some contact with off the fairway.  I do feel like I would benefit from having a modern hybrid in my bag though, as I tend to really pull/hook my woods. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

2 hours ago, Shakeyfly said:

I did until this year. I have an inherited set of clubs from my father in law, and I received a 2004 Taylormade R580XD driver.  I have been hitting the driver pretty well for a player of my level, and so I've just kept in the bag. I had some older fairways woods that have never felt right, so I went on the Fleabay and found teh matching 3,5,7 wood with the exact same shaft as the driver. I've since been able to finally make good contact 5 and 7 wood fairly consistently. My 3 wood was always a a club I would top the hell out of the ball, but now I'm starting to make some contact with off the fairway.  I do feel like I would benefit from having a modern hybrid in my bag though, as I tend to really pull/hook my woods. 

I would be careful thinking a hybrid will help the pull/hook.  I have had major issues trying to find hybrids that I don't hook the heck out of.  I have tried many different ones and pretty much the only ones that I didn't hook were the Taylormade Rescue knockoffs I still carry in my bag.  If you find some modern ones you don't hook please let me know... I would love to try them myself!

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

A couple years ago I was unhappy with my driver and it was tough to do any fitting (pandemic) so I just started hitting 3-wood instead.  It worked pretty well, I was only losing about 10 yards (hence the driver unhappiness), and it was more consistent.  Fast-forward to the back half of last year, and I  couldn't hit it at all, tee, fairway, didn't matter, it was a low hook if I was ever able to find the center of the face.  I ditched it and now the longest non-driver club is my Callaway UW 19*, works much better for me, but I never really need anything longer.  If you still need a club that gets you more distance than your hybrid, look at a higher loft or a little shorter shaft in a 3-wood, or both!

love, hate relationship with my 3 wd over the years, It's been my favorite can do anything I want with it, to sitting in the corner with the other unloved clubs, presently in the bag but might not be for to much longer, It is the clubs fault, right?

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

I have 2 three woods, and a driving iron, a 2018 model Mizuno MP 18 MMC 18 degree 3 from a fitting.  My strength is NOT distance.  I like the Mizuno.  A lot.  It was a fitted choice at a multi brand demo day and the shaft is my fav, UST Mamiya Recoil.  Good luck.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 8/17/2023 at 9:43 AM, jbsap said:

As the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of ditching my 3 wood and adding an additional long iron.  Distance is one of my strengths, and I play my 3 hybrid 19.5 deg. to 240 carry.  My next iron is a P770 4 iron that I play to about 210 carry.  I am horrendous with my fairway wood, but when it does stay remotely straight it is a 270 club and is rarely used for one reason or another.  Thinking about getting a p790 3 iron and adjusting my hybrid to 18 degrees in the hopes of filling that 225 range and having the hybrid jump a few more yards.

Anyone else done something similar?  My gapping towards the bottom of the bag is pretty good so an additional wedge wouldn't help me.  

I ditched my 3 wood for the same reason as you. I carry a 17 degree driving iron and a 22 degree hybrid. Despite the hybrid technically be a 4 I still have a 4 iron as I carry it 210 to 215 and the hybrid about 220 to 225. I am considering getting a 19 degree or a 5 wood an 1 inch under standard length to be interchangeable with the driving iron depending on course or weather conditions. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test