Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Distances for 7 iron

PrismFlopper

On 12/25/2023 at 7:56 AM, Josh Parker said:

I just looked at my numbers from the Mevo and the calculation is just about spot on.

I was doing the same thing and its not dead spot but for a starting point its pretty accurate in my point of view.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

On 12/25/2023 at 11:26 AM, TitleistMike said:

It's a math equation at that point. The typical differential between clubs is 7-10 yards.

I was wondering what the accuracy of the equation is between different styles of clubs like between a high HCer cavity back compared to a bladed iron. Or is it just the ball striking and type doesnt matter… 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

22 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

What's the guys name? I'd like to see his other videos....

Im not 100% its on Golf Liberty/ Matt Blois channel. So im assuming Matt Blois but i dont follow the channel it just popped on my feed

I'm impressed Matt can hit 7 iron shots at varied speeds. 

I'm 58 and working out to keep my speed decreasing and above 82 mph for 7 irons and a 160-yard distance carry.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

1 hour ago, PrismFlopper said:

Im not 100% its on Golf Liberty/ Matt Blois channel. So im assuming Matt Blois but i dont follow the channel it just popped on my feed

It's indeed Matt Blois who was often on the TXG, now Club Champion YT channel.

Nice video, by the way... It matches my numbers. A good, high, well hit 7i is about 1.9 times clubhead speed for me too.

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

2 hours ago, Bang60 said:

What's the guys name? I'd like to see his other videos....

Link to his channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GolfLiberty

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Matt does a very nice job with this especially with varied swing speeds.  The conversion factor of 1.9  is reasonably accurate for most. However, a whole host of factors play into this starting with type of head (blade vs game improvement/distance), loft of club, Clubhead and ball speed, attack angle, launch, not to mention where you fit it on the face etc. Needless to say, it can get complicated. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

On 12/25/2023 at 10:33 AM, Rob Person said:

If I hit the ball pure, I get about 145y. Looks like I have some work to do on mechanics!  Good info!

But be careful @Rob Person. Taking into account your fitness level or like me, my loss of flexibility has an impact that says, I'll never reach more than 145. Do what you can do and don't hurt yourself trying to obtain what might not be obtainable any more. Just saying. Be careful first.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

22 hours ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

I enjoy the videos but I only hit my 7 iron about 130.  Looks like I might be taking up up dominoes or checkers.  

@CrazyGolfNut. Yes 7 iron at 130 yards? Cool for you. You are a 9 index man. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with that at all. Especially if you are still having fun. You are a rock dude.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 12/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, CrazyGolfNut said:

I enjoy the videos but I only hit my 7 iron about 130.  Looks like I might be taking up up dominoes or checkers.  

130 down the pipe is alot better than 200 in the woods

Well I have a Rapsodo launch monitor that gives me those answers and the "×1.9" is close, but after looking back at my old video my numbers were better but all these numbers are depending on how we feel on the day. And for me I could be 10-15 metres short if the body feels sore, a 7iron for me when I was feeling good 😊 is 135 metres carry now I'd say 125. But as long as I'm consistent I don't care what that number is as I'm focused on Dispersion, easier to the next shot from short Grass than the rough 🤕

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

“Think well of all, be patient with all, and try to find the good in all.”-- Muhammad Ali

⛳ WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: DarkSpeed X [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE 60; :cobra-small:  DarkSpeed LS [17.5*], TD Gloss 70; Iomic Evolution
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [19*], :kbs: PGH 85; Iomic Evolution
  • Irons & Wedges:  King Tour [4i & 5i], King CB [6i to Pw]; UST Mamiya Recoil 110; Iomic Evolution
  • Wedges: S23, 610; UST Mamiya Recoil 125 Prototype; Iomic Evolution
  • Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport-35 [24]; :garsen: Quad Tour NT TPE
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small: XS [22];
  • Notables: :cobra-small: -Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear:3.5+ w/Alphard Club Booster V2;

17 hours ago, PrismFlopper said:

U just crushed a lo of my buddies feeling. 🤣

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

I watched about half of the video, and I have to be honest, if I heard the words "should hit it", "should", Should", one more time I was going to scream, which is why I turned it off.

Maybe its just me, but my 7iron, ACTUALLY GOES, 155 yards with my swing.  And this distance fits, for me "perfectly", with my 8 iron going 145, and my 6 going 165.  I appreciate the idea behind the video, honestly maybe I just missed the point,  but isn't that what the gapping of the lofts of your clubs are supposed to do, with ones "normal" swing.

I would expect that anyone who has owned more than one set of clubs, and takes the game relatively seriously, and is putting out the often high expense of new clubs, would have purchased clubs based on a pretty good idea, of what they needed to fill in any gaps based on the lofts of their previous clubs.

I can see "tinkering" with ones swing, ball, and equipment, to achieve a number, for how far they "should" hit a particular club as being fraught with danger.  I will not be checking how far I SHOULD, hit my 7 iron.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

19 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

I watched about half of the video, and I have to be honest, if I heard the words "should hit it", "should", Should", one more time I was going to scream, which is why I turned it off.

Maybe its just me, but my 7iron, ACTUALLY GOES, 155 yards with my swing.  And this distance fits, for me "perfectly", with my 8 iron going 145, and my 6 going 165.  I appreciate the idea behind the video, honestly maybe I just missed the point,  but isn't that what the gapping of the lofts of your clubs are supposed to do, with ones "normal" swing.

I would expect that anyone who has owned more than one set of clubs, and takes the game relatively seriously, and is putting out the often high expense of new clubs, would have purchased clubs based on a pretty good idea, of what they needed to fill in any gaps based on the lofts of their previous clubs.

I can see "tinkering" with ones swing, ball, and equipment, to achieve a number, for how far they "should" hit a particular club as being fraught with danger.  I will not be checking how far I SHOULD, hit my 7 iron.

You are right, you did miss the point of the video. That's okay though. It is not a iron gapping video. This question is widely asked and a topic for many golfers which is why it was produced and why this thread has a good number of comments on it. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

53 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

widely asked and a topic for many golfers

Ok, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, as many believe when I question things! I went back and watched him ramp up the speed of his swings, and multiply.  Then at the end he says that we all play with people some can hit it 170, and he comments should I be chasing that number. Then he mentions, maybe their hitting a draw, delofting the club He doesn't really finish this  thought, but then finishes commenting that "these are important numbers to have in mind". 

Honestly as a "non-numbers" guy I'm asking?

If my 7 iron distance "fits" with my other clubs, then why is that an important number?  If not perhaps an underhanded way to suggest to someone they need new clubs to hit their 7 iron, and presumably all other clubs, X number of yards further, then absent an actual yardage gap in clubs, what is the importance of it.?

26 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

Ok, and I'm not trying to be a smartass, as many believe when I question things! I went back and watched him ramp up the speed of his swings, and multiply.  Then at the end he says that we all play with people some can hit it 170, and he comments should I be chasing that number. Then he mentions, maybe their hitting a draw, delofting the club He doesn't really finish this  thought, but then finishes commenting that "these are important numbers to have in mind". 

If my 7 iron distance "fits" with my other clubs, then why is that an important number?  If not perhaps an underhanded way to suggest to someone they need new clubs to hit their 7 iron, and presumably all other clubs, X number of yards further, then absent an actual yardage gap in clubs, what is the importance of it.?

Not being a numbers guy the video definitely wouldn't be catered towards you. Just saying. 

The question many people ask in bays and all around the globe is how far they should be hitting their 7 given their swing speed. This happens because 7 irons are often the test clubs. This video helps give them a simple answer. Swing speed times 1.9. That is a good optimal length for ones 7 iron. If they are way short of that number they then have a goal of how far they can hit an optimized 7 iron. 

Again it isn't about gapping, gapping would follow after they get the 7 iron in line. You have a set that works for you great, does your swing speed times 1.9 match the 7 iron distance? If yes, great you are adding to the theory he has. If not, maybe you are leaving something on the table with launch, spin or something else. It is up to you whether you want to try to optimize that further or not. If you are happy with where you are great, but then the whole video isn't meant for you as you are happy with your set and configuration. 

Bottom line many many aren't as happy with their setups, many have these questions and find these simple things like swing speed times 1.9 = optimal distance extremely beneficial when testing new equipment or trying to get the most out of their game. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This dude is a freak with his speed and face control! Or else he took 600 shots and has a great editor.

Honestly in my opinion it doesn't matter what club you hit for a specific distance, as long as you know what clubs go what distances. I'd be happy with 120 - 130 yard 7i all day long as long as my dispersion was consistent (NEWS FLASH: it's not). The correct answer to how far your shots should go is entirely dependant on you, your swing THAT day, and how tight you can keep it to your target line. These numbers are great for those looking for impact efficiency, but let's be honest, few of us have the skill to consistently find the sweet spot and deliver less than 5% of deviation. Know how far you can hit each club and what your dispersion distances are and pick your targets accordingly. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

31 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Not being a numbers guy the video definitely wouldn't be catered towards you. Just saying. 

The question many people ask in bays and all around the globe is how far they should be hitting their 7 given their swing speed. This happens because 7 irons are often the test clubs. This video helps give them a simple answer. Swing speed times 1.9. That is a good optimal length for ones 7 iron. If they are way short of that number they then have a goal of how far they can hit an optimized 7 iron. 

Again it isn't about gapping, gapping would follow after they get the 7 iron in line. You have a set that works for you great, does your swing speed times 1.9 match the 7 iron distance? If yes, great you are adding to the theory he has. If not, maybe you are leaving something on the table with launch, spin or something else. It is up to you whether you want to try to optimize that further or not. If you are happy with where you are great, but then the whole video isn't meant for you as you are happy with your set and configuration. 

Bottom line many many aren't as happy with their setups, many have these questions and find these simple things like swing speed times 1.9 = optimal distance extremely beneficial when testing new equipment or trying to get the most out of their game. 

a couple of comments about this video. 1- in the 70's/80's we used to use a 5 iron to gap properly, I don't know when the 7 iron came into play but I would think that the current 7 iron probably has the same loft as the old 5 iron, maybe that is why.

My takeaway from the 1.9 x is that it is quite accurate for me, when I was "fitted" in September, as I have said before, my fitter Laird White (you can google him, he fitted Bernard Larger, Justin Rose, just to name a few) called me "iron byron" because my swing speed, launch angle, spin etc. with a  7 iron was so consistent. Anyway my swing speed was  80 mph with my 7 irons which I now can use math (1.9x) to know that my carry distance should be around 152 and it is currently 148, so pretty close but room for improvement, probably spin or launch. 

So @GolfSpy_APH, you are correct in my opinion, like a lot of things in golf, this video and I think it is a good video, is just one more tool for our tool kit. I like numbers so it appeals to me. 

committed to performance excellence

2 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

You're asking a different question than is being answered.  It isn't about gapping your irons, it's "Am I getting what I should out of this specific club, given my swing speed?"

If you swing your 7 at 80MPH, but are only getting the ball 130 yards instead of the ~152 he is calculating, maybe it's time to look at swing mechanics, contact, or iron fit.

Having a metric to help determine if you are getting the most out of your investment is very helpful.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

3 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

If today with your swing speed, your 7 iron or the 7 iron of the new set you are considering went 100 yards and you had the correct gapping between clubs,  would you question the distances?   If no, then the video is not targeted at you.   If you have any question that you may not be getting the performance you should out of your clubs the video is there to give you a ball park assessment that you can make to see if you are getting the distance you should out of your clubs.     You are generally anti-fitting so any numbers associated with club or ball performance isn't targeted at you;  not a negative but a fact at how you look at golf equipment.    

2 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

a couple of comments about this video. 1- in the 70's/80's we used to use a 5 iron to gap properly, I don't know when the 7 iron came into play but I would think that the current 7 iron probably has the same loft as the old 5 iron, maybe that is why.

7 iron is the fitting club of today as it is generally the club where swings are pretty solid.  6 and longer are where swings start to break down so they aren't generally used for fitting.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Interesting video, potentially useful for judging one's ball striking. Unfortunately, it could also be just a bit misleading. He mentioned at the outset that loft is going to play a role...the 1.9 factor is applicable to the 7-iron he was hitting, but I believe he also stated that someone hitting a stronger lofted 7-iron wouldn't see the same relationship. Seems pretty obvious.

So what was the loft on his 7-iron? I watched to the end, and I don't recall him saying anything attaching a loft number to either his club or what's out there. I currently play 90s vintage clubs (TA-845Ti), and I suspect my 7-iron's 36* loft probably would not match up with the 1.9 factor. My R10 numbers with a 6-iron (32*) seem to meet the 1.9 relationship on a good strike, and I've seen loft numbers for some modern 7-irons that are even stronger than my 6.

Any guesses as to what he was hitting?

25 minutes ago, Gusset said:

Any guesses as to what he was hitting?

No need to guess, he goes through his bag here:

16 hours ago, Gusset said:

7-iron's 36* loft

I guess this is what I was trying to ask, point out, much less effectively than you.   Almost all 7 irons have different lofts, so for the video to say you should hit a 7 irons "x-distance" seems a little misleading at a minimum.  You are correct my 7 Iron, Callaway Mavrik Pro is 30.5 degrees.  So for you and I to use the same multiplier, swinging at the same speed to see how far we should hit a 7 iron,  seems incorrect.  I am no mathematician, or physics expert but our two clubs struck at the same speed, with  5.5 degrees different loft, could/I would say will "likely" result in one or both of us, using a 1.9 multiplier(unless by chance our loft exactly matches what he is using) believing potentially that we are woefully short of, or greatly exceeding how far we think we should  be hitting it.

It seems this is a statement, which should be based on definitive certain factors.  Swing speed, and very importantly loft of club(which would determine multiplier), in order to be a meaningful benchmark. This way you would know that someone swinging the same loft of club as you, at the same speed using the same multiplier is getting 5 or whatever the number is yards more than you.  At this point I believe you could more accurately evaluate, how your distance compares to someone swinging a like lofted club, and multiplying by the same number  compares to what this person is getting, if you are comfortable with their teaching.

Edited by Stuka44

23 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

I guess this is what I was trying to ask, point out, much less effectively than you.   Almost all 7 irons have different lofts, so for the video to say you should hit a 7 irons "x-distance" seems a little misleading at a minimum.  You are correct my 7 Iron, Callaway Mavrik Pro is 30.5 degrees.  So for you and I to use the same multiplier, swinging at the same speed to see how far we should hit a 7 iron,  seems incorrect.  I am no mathematician, or physics expert but our two clubs struck at the same speed, with  5.5 degrees different loft, could/I would say will "likely" result in one or both of us, using a 1.9 multiplier(unless by chance our loft exactly matches what he is using) believing potentially that we are woefully short of, or greatly exceeding how far we think we should  be hitting it.

It seems this is a statement, which should be based on two certain factors.  Swing speed, and  loft of club(which would determine multiplier), in order to be a meaningful benchmark. This way you would know that someone swinging the same loft of club as you, at the same speed using the same multiplier is getting 5 or whatever the number is yards more than you.  At this point I believe you could effectively evaluate, as i have mentioned, if your clubs "work" and are well gapped...  is it worth it seeking new clubs, for lets say 3 more yards with your 7 iron, and then consequently other clubs.

Matt goes through all the disclaimers in the beginning of the video regarding loft differences, delivery and such that make this a ballpark estimate.  He even uses the term ballpark. 

I think this would be targeting someone that is less than familiar with club performance in general.  Most MGS'ers have hit enough clubs to know if a 7 iron they are experimenting with is within a reasonable distance range for their usual strike pattern.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

52 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

It seems this is a statement, which should be based on definitive certain factors.  Swing speed, and very importantly loft of club(which would determine multiplier), in order to be a meaningful benchmark. This way you would know that someone swinging the same loft of club as you, at the same speed using the same multiplier is getting 5 or whatever the number is yards more than you.  At this point I believe you could more accurately evaluate, how your distance compares to someone swinging a like lofted club, and multiplying by the same number  compares to what this person is getting, if you are comfortable with their teaching.

The thing is there is always going to be variables, the human hitting the ball is one. As stated above he address this in the video. If we are going to be that picky then there can be no such thing as an optimized ball flight for "x" club but there are accepted general standard for different swing speeds with each clubs that if you fall in that range you will be maximizing your performance "dispersion, distance and land angle". If this is not important to you then just hit different clubs and see what gives you the best dispersion, and there is nothing wrong with that. But this forum is full of gear heads that are very interested in this information and had a lot of discussion about it. What Matt was trying to do in this video is be able to give a general standard for those that either don't have access to get or don't car to get all the numbers that go into a optimized ball flight but still would like to achieve this. The last thing I will point out is that having the same club # in a variety of different specs is not a variable that makes info like this "incorrect". These different specs are a needed variable to be able match up with the different human variables to help that person optimized their game. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Matt goes through all the disclaimers in the beginning of the video regarding loft differences, delivery and such that make this a ballpark estimate. 

I am more or less trying to actually agree with this idea.  I am just saying, especially for someone less familiar with club performance, that to just say you should hit it x far, when  a more novice player is using a club with 4 degrees more loft, seems a potentially quite inaccurate, and misleading "ballpark number" to throw out there.

Numbers arrived  using math calculations,  are only really useful to someone if the other person is  using, and basing their own results on very similar if not identical numbers.  Matt the video guy seems well informed. 

What others on this thread have said is accurate.  I am for the most part, NOT a fitting guy, and not generally a numbers guy.

However!  I find the idea intriguing to compare myself too.  I am just questioning if this would be comparing apples to apples.  It would be nice if he would, or if there is a chart, which would I believe more accurately indicate to people,.....  If you are hitting a club with (X-Loft) at (Y-speed)... the multiplier is Z. INSTRUCTOR: SAYS.... And as a very accomplished golfer,  who makes very good contact almost all of the time,    "AA" is the distance I think you should more or less get using my "chart of lofts, swing speeds, and multipliers".

I believe that Math more or less dictates, that for accuracy, this need to be based on loft of club, not just an arbitrary club number, with a specific multiplier, for said loft number.

14 minutes ago, ZackS said:

The last thing I will point out is that having the same club # in a variety of different specs is not a variable that makes info like this "incorrect".

I would point you to my response to Shopopotomous.  Additionally to say that different lofts(specs) of various peoples 7 irons, being used to evaluate their swing against this "general standard" should be generalized, or not taken into account is inaccurate, and mathematically incorrect.  Especially when the degrees of lofts, of a particular club, for almost everyone who plays this game, is directly correlated to how far the person will, and "should" be expected to hit that particular loft of club.

To suggest that you, me, and a third person, should really put any stock in, or compare our 7 Iron results, to each other(certainly not),  or his standard, when one of us is using a club with 4 degrees less loft, one with the same loft, and one with 4 degrees more loft, does mean that the calculation(since loft directly affects expected carry distance) itself is affecting the outcome, not just human effects, like swing angle, plane, attack angle, ball spin, and other things, which are actual human variables.

Its like saying I get to use a #3, you a 4, and him a 2, and we are going to multiply by two, and we should all get 4 like him.  We get 6, 8, and 4, how is that helpful to anybody.

To suggest that you, me, and a third person, should really put any stock in, or compare our 7 Iron results, to each other(certainly not)

I didn't say anything about comparing one person to anther and I don't think Matt does in the video does either. We are talking about optimizing a certain club to you not comparing how I hit the exact same spec of club against someone else.

I am just saying, especially for someone less familiar with club performance, that to just say you should hit it x far

I don't think he is saying that, he is saying based on swing speed the ball will go around this distance with in his words a functional ball flight. When he is talking about functional or optimized flight he is taking in account other factors such as land angle not just distance.

Especially when the degrees of lofts, of a particular club, for almost everyone who plays this game, is directly correlated to how far the person will, and "should" be expected to hit that particular loft of club

Of coarse loft will directly effect distance and I don't think anyone is suggesting someone should not understand you hit this 7 iron further then this one because it is stronger in loft. But we are not just talking about distance you hit. He is just tying to simplify a optimized ball flight for a certain club into one number and is using distance for this as that is the metric most are asking him. 

I believe that Math more or less dictates, that for accuracy, this need to be based on loft of club, not just an arbitrary club number

With the acceptation of wedges the industry does not sell a 34 degree, a 18 degree or a 9 degree. They sell a 7 iron, 5 wood, driver, etc. Because of this when you are getting fit things are going to based on the club type not loft.

Additionally to say that different lofts(specs) of various peoples 7 irons, being used to evaluate their swing against this "general standard" should be generalized, or not taken into account is inaccurate, and mathematically incorrect.

As stated above things are based on the club type and everyone's swing/delivery are different it would be safe to say that everyone would need slightly different lofts, lies, lengths, etc. So just like drivers have different lofts, CG, etc to fit different swings. Irons also have the same. Again things are based on optimizing the ball fight for a golfer for a club type and I might need a 10 degree driver and you might need a 8 degree driver to do so. 

I will add I understand what you are talking about with loft and the effect it has and I don't want to argue. I guess we just understood the point of this video very differently. 

Edited by ZackS

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test