Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf lessons- Clinics or 1 on 1?

With my recent venture into working very part time at a Golf Course, one of the perks is being able to attend group clinics/workshops at a reduced rate, and also short timed pro 1 on 1 lessons as well for a discounted fee. (15 minute lessons)

I've never attended either, and I know what I need to work on that's most important  to me (driver!) But without this perk, I am not in a financial place to do either.

Are longer group clinics more beneficial than short lessons?

Im not even sure what the clinics would be focusing on.

Thanks

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I would say go do a few of them and see what you think.  No matter what the focus on that day for the clinic may be, it's always good to learn something new or improve upon an area of the game.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

24 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I would say go do a few of them and see what you think.  No matter what the focus on that day for the clinic may be, it's always good to learn something new or improve upon an area of the game.

I agree, and plan on it eventually.

I know there are a few members here who have been coaches,  and quite a few members here who get lessons quite frequently.  Never saw any post about group clinics though, and makes me wonder if there is a reason why...

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I would look at what the focus of the clinics will be.  I'm assuming it'll be posted before signing up.  If the topic of a clinic is something that interests you then I would check it out.  Look at clinics like taking a class.  The teacher is going to teach a bunch of people a topic they are choosing.

Look at the lessons as having a one on one tutor to help solve a specific problem.  If you want to work on driver then this is probably a better first option.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have done both clinics and 1 on 1.  Typically clinics cover a topic and you generally get some one on one time on the topic as the instructor rotates between attendees.  Sometimes the players that are struggling the most get the majority of the time.    I think of clinics as more of a supervised practice session.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

With my recent venture into working very part time at a Golf Course, one of the perks is being able to attend group clinics/workshops at a reduced rate, and also short timed pro 1 on 1 lessons as well for a discounted fee. (15 minute lessons)

I've never attended either, and I know what I need to work on that's most important  to me (driver!) But without this perk, I am not in a financial place to do either.

Thanks

Lesson are going to be better option. 

Issue with the driver are also issues with the irons. The difference is that as the club gets longer the ability to compensate for our swing flaws get harder. It’s not driver that needs work but the swing.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

If it were me I would do the lessons. If you’re newer to the game the group lesson might be more beneficial since they will cover the swing overall. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

I agree, and plan on it eventually.

I know there are a few members here who have been coaches,  and quite a few members here who get lessons quite frequently.  Never saw any post about group clinics though, and makes me wonder if there is a reason why...

I don't see to many clinics around me but then again haven't looked too hard.  

6 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I don't see to many clinics around me but then again haven't looked too hard.  

Often instructors at golf stores do them.  PGA Superstore has them:

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/lessons-services-events-free-clinics/

Or they are more learn to play centric.  Here is the agenda from one of the courses near me.

Learn to Play Golf Program 

• Available from April through October 
  • This consists of six, one hour clinics taught by our PGA Golf Professionals
  • Each clinic will detail the golf swing through an incremental learning approach.
  • You will begin with basic steps first, then continue to build until you have learned the full swing.
  • These steps will create a road map of golf swings that will remain a reference for the future.
  • The lesson series covers all aspects of the game including Etiquette, Rules, Putting, Chipping, Pitching, Full Swing and Playing.
  • Group size is 4 to 7 students.
  • Once you have completed your clinics, now is the time to take what you have learned to the course.
  • You will receive all this with your cash or check payment, for only $150.00.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Or they are more learn to play centric.  Here is the agenda from one of the courses near me.

• Each clinic will detail the golf swing through an incremental learning approach.
  • You will begin with basic steps first, then continue to build until you have learned the full swing.
  • These steps will create a road map of golf swings that will remain a reference for the future.
  • The lesson series covers all aspects of the game including Etiquette, Rules, Putting, Chipping, Pitching, Full Swing and Playing.
  • Once you have completed your clinics, now is the time to take what you have learned to the course.

I wonder if @Rob Person will be similar or different being that it is at his GC that he is working at.  I would imagine it will be a lot of basics but how much hands on will it be?  I think that is the biggest question.  

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Dang! We need a PGASS ! And that's decent pricing too! @Josh Parker I will find out more on Thursday as I get to know the staff.

Maybe in selfish but I would prefer one on one. 

Just a preference and have done both however the dedicated tone is certainly beneficial versus a group setting.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If you are beyond the beginner stage, I have to throw my hat in with @GolfSpy_APH on this one. I attended a Dave Pelz short game clinic many years ago and while I did learn a few things, I felt the personal touch provided with 1 on 1 session would have been more beneficial. We all have our individual swings and I believe the 1 on 1 coaching provides a better path to maximizing your potential improvement. 

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

2 hours ago, William P said:

If you are beyond the beginner stage, I have to throw my hat in with @GolfSpy_APH on this one. I attended a Dave Pelz short game clinic many years ago and while I did learn a few things, I felt the personal touch provided with 1 on 1 session would have been more beneficial. We all have our individual swings and I believe the 1 on 1 coaching provides a better path to maximizing your potential improvement. 

You're correct it most definitely depends on who they are what stage they can be in. If just starting it can be a lot easier or less nerve-racking to be in a group and allow you to feel more comfortable. Where more experienced would prefer a one on one to get more value out of it. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Best might depend on your mental side. I can struggle with over-thinking the game and have found that 1-on-1 lessons give me too much information in too little time. The small clinic setting (under 8 golfers) has been best for me since the pro can give me a tip or two to work on without me getting overwhelmed. I have done a 6 session/1x week spring clinic for the last 5 years and have found it extremely beneficial. Try both and see which suits you best.

Short game savant, driving disaster...

A lot has already been said on this. A lot comes down to what is within someone’s financial ability / or want to spend on their past time. 

For me > short burst lessons, maybe 15-20m to focus on a particular aspect are useful if you have an area to improve and check things out. Coach can give you some homework, you can work on this, and check in again…. 

Clinics I tend to see (previously been a coach) at the start of the game or at elite level (e.g. EGU / County Squad training) but not much in between but can be useful if you know what the focus is on any given week. Plus you hopefully can meet some good people to meet up / play with as well. 

Good luck and enjoy trying and figuring out what works for you. 

WITB > Stealth 2 Driver > Mizuno STG 3 & 5 woods > Mizuno 243 Irons > Vokey SM9 Wedges (50,54,60)

I did group lessons as a kid which was beneficial to get the overall gist and some of the rules and etiquette learned.  Then played 1 or 2 times a year for the next ehhhhh 20 years.

Now though I would honestly pay for a 1 on 1 even if it was more expensive.  Had I never done it before a group lesson could be good especially for very new golfers as the intimidation of f****** up learning this sport would be less in a group setting.

Best thing I ever did to get better was join a golf league.  Playing a bunch really really helps. 

Stack Referral code

Driver - Sim2Max 10.5° (set at 9*) UST Helium shaft

3W - StealthHL 16.5°

3h - Sim2max 19°

irons - Sim2OS kbsmax85mt steel shafts reg flex 5i-Aw

wedgies - Jaws MD5 52°-10° (Bounce) S Grind

Jaws MD5 56°-12° (Bounce) W Grind

Putter - Mizuno OMOI Type II

Final Sugar "Pure" Golf Balls Review

I definitely consider myself passed the brand new golfer, but not quite to the intermediate golfer level.

I appreciate the feedback everyone. 

I will definitely try both.

Having done both, I feel there are advantages to both.

Obviously, private lessons are focused, but there is synergistic benefit in group sessions.

I tend to learn from my questions, as well as questions from others - that I didn’t think of. Seeing others try the same technique also helps to reinforce the lesson, even if they aren’t “getting it.” Seeing others perform/correct flaws helps me get the point. 

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Personally I think a 15 minute private lesson might not bring a lot of benefit. So I would tend towards the longer clinics. But agree with those that say try both. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

20 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Thanks

lots of "it depends" in this question, it depends on the person taking and the person giving the group lesson if it is benefitial, eg your personality, if you get better results in general one on one then do that, if not you can do the group lesson and save some money. 

"it depends" on what you are looking to get out of the lesson, basics or more dialled into an issue you are working on.

There are benefits to both and down side to both, the great thing is you are looking to get some help and that is always a benefit in my opinion. Keep us updated on your decision and how it works out.

I have pretty much always been one on one, at least since I was 16 years old, however my coach has a "stable" of good golfers he teaches and I told him one day that he should get us all together say once every 2-3 months so we can discuss what we are working on, it may trigger some thoughts for all of us.  

committed to performance excellence

Agree with many others here that there are obvious benefits to both. I prefer 1 on 1 lessons as the instructor can provide drills or tips that are specific to your swing. I did junior golf growing up where it was more of a group clinic setting and it's a good way to get introduced to the game and learn some basics.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

For what it is worth, if you are a newbie to golf, the clinics may give you an idea of how the golf swing works and what you need to do to be more involved. I like what one respondent said that clinics are supervised practice sessions-if you like what you see and are feeling like you want to get more involved-then take a few 1 on 1 sessions to see if the positivity holds true.

Remember this thought-in a group clinic, there will be a variety of skill sets and in a 1 0n 1-you are the skill set.

Best of luck and I hope you have a great future in this wonderful sport!

Golf Gear Head

I have found that a speaker on a particular subject can be very interesting and at times helpful, but I am not a fan of clinics.  I saw Michael Breed once and he discussed what a player does most during a swing and how it relates to the club face because the club face is what our efforts translate into.  On the other hand a group clinic not only has you thinking about your improvement but you also hear about other players and their needs which can add more complexity and confusion to what you are doing.  There is nothing like one on one where the instructor stays with you and watches you as you try to perform what he or she has given you to do.  

Ping G430 Driver and 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 16.5 degree 3 wood

Ping G430 4 & 5 hybrids

Ping G425 irons

Vokey SM 9 54 and 58 wedges

Ping Ketsch putter

If you are beginning, I think group lessons are productive, like the PGASS series. There are a lot of things that go into a golf swing and a group lesson on grip, stance, swing thoughts can be useful, at a price point to get started. Even a group lesson should be only 4-6 people though. I have seen pro's take on 15 people and no one got anything out of that.

Once one is playing, then targeting weak areas, 1 on 1 can be very beneficial.

You still need to clearly determine the course of the 1 on 1 lesson. When I had been playing for about a year, one of the courses 18th hole was a par 5 with a small lake in front of the green. To that point I had been learning on my own, but couldn't seem to teach myself a pitch shot to hit over the lake. I decided to take a 1 hour lesson with the pro to learn to pitch the ball. I specifically requested a pitching lesson to have a shot to get over the lake.

First, the best lesson he could have told me was to not lay up so close until I was completely comfortable pitching the ball. Leave a full shot in. This lesson is all over golf everywhere now. Early 80's not so much.

Second, he wanted me to show him my chip shot first, which is what I used around the greens. This was before the days of specialty wedges. My sand wedge was a Wilson R-90 at 54 degrees. After a half hour of him fiddling with my chipping motion, I was shanking everything and we hadn't even begun to talk about pitching. I left it there.

I learn by watching and mimicking, all the instructor had to do was hit a few pitch shots, ball position and swing thought demo, and I would have got it. It put me off so much I never took another lesson from a golf pro.

When I begun to teach, I took that lesson to heart to narrow down 1 on 1 lessons on a focused item, find out how the student learns, and explain my approach before starting the lesson. If it wasn't what they were thinking was going to happen and we couldn't agree on the problem and a solution, we didn't start. My course had a teaching pro and 4 of us in the pipeline so we could usually accommodate everyone.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

The quality of the instructor(s) is often more important than the format. If the instructor(s) aren't providing information that's sound it won't help, or could even hurt your game.

As others have said the clinic may be structured around a particular topic, but even if that's the case the instructor(s) may let you pick their brain or help you with other topics than the subject at hand.

1-on-1 the instructor will observe all if not most of your shots, and may give you a handful of ideas and concepts (perhaps too much depending on the instructor), on the flip side with instructor(s) spread across multiple students give you time to practice what you're working on without feeling like eyes are analyzing you every shot. 

Great advice from everyone.  Thank you! And I will keep everyone updated!

22 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Thanks

I prefer one on one but I have had very good success with individualized half day group sessions. The keys to success are to find a good coach/teacher that you can relate to. Are you open to instruction and willing to put in the practice between sessions. What type of learner are you.  Visual/feel based versus more technical. Can they explain/show you different ways until you get it. For group, does it allow for individualization, so that you can work on things specific to you and your swing or is it one lesson for all.  Will there be video and launch monitor data available. So multiple factors come into play. 

E.g. In the summer, my coach has half day clinics/camps with 3 other golfers over 4 hours. At the start, he spends 5-10 min with you determining what your goals are and what you want to work on. He will make some adjustments and you start practicing while he moves to the next person. 30 min or so and he’s back to make additional tweaks and recommendations and on it goes. So it’s specific teaching with very structured practice. There’s GCquad Data and video as well. So after half a day you’ve hit a bucket load of shots and can practice different things which you then can take to the course. Even more helpful when it’s short game and putting. In the summer, I tend to do this on bi monthly basis whereas in the winter it’s one on one. Downside to all this, is that it can be expensive.  Then theres always Dr. YouTube, provided you can find one or a dozen or so (lol) you can relate to.  Structured practice, practice and more practice are the real keys. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

Having done both, I prefer the 1 to 1 lessons.  I have some some group trainings, the issue is that most of the time there is a huge variety of people with different skill levels, and inevitably there is 1 or 2 people that get more of the instructor time, and those who are a bit more advanced get "less time" even if you all paid the same.  With lessons, which I do every year, I always go to my trainer with specific areas:  getting back into the groove of the driver (we have an offseason here), the iron play and some putting.  I will do a few sessions with him.  The great thing beyond the one on one, is that most of these folks today have advanced tools - Trackman's and other portable monitors, cameras (ouch!!), graphics, slow motion technology - these are really great. And when done with the course they can email it to you for example. I usually do a few courses with him in the April time frame when I am shaking off the rust.  This year and last I am also going to the virtual golf on weekends with some friends to keep swinging the clubs anyway, and it is just fun to get out with them as well. Most of these places also use Trackman or other tech and we play famous courses around the world virtually (and you can see your data). So some mix of those works for me such that I have been able to reduce steadily my handicap over time even with large gaps in between playing (for example I didn't play for 4 years when living in a foreign country for work).  This summer I expect to be able to play more golf due to changes in my circumstances but will still take some of those lessons in April to have someone who is expert watching me in detail and then spend time working on that.  If I see I get stuck will go back later in the summer if needed. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3