Would you rather... Masters edition

For me, it's Play 100%

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

For me, it would be getting to play 1 round at Augusta…..a dream come true. 

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

I’ll go against the run of play here. I would take Saturday and Sunday tickets every year. There is nothing like being at the Masters. Being on the grounds you feel a special energy and excitement even on a Monday practice round. By far my favorite tournament every single year. 

R. Dale

20 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Given the unanimity so far, I think we need to say that if you choose to play, you can't set foot on the grounds again.

OMG, I would gladly give up any chance to set foot there again to play that course. I can't imagine anyone else wouldn't either, but to each their own. Maybe if you live really close? No brainer for me.

Just your "normal" obsessed golfer in search of more shots with names of flying critters...

I’ve been around golf now for 60 years from my fist bag as a caddie to a retired guy and private club member. For the first time in those 60 I am going on Thursday and Friday. Playing would be nice but I’m satisfied. 

Sub 70 irons and wedges. Epic Flash sub zero driver and 3 metal. Callaway rescue 18 and 22 degree. 

22 hours ago, TSauer said:

With the Masters quickly approaching, t-minus 29 days for those counting, I'm going to pose this question... Would you rather:

Get to play a round at Augusta National once

OR

Get Saturday and Sunday tickets to the Masters every year

Saturday and Sunday tickets. I have no business trying to play Augusta.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max D, 9.0 Degrees

Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline, 15 Degrees

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP-H5 2-Iron 18 Degrees

Irons: Cobra LTDx, 5-GW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (50, 54 bent to 55, 60)

Putter: LeanLock APA Model Blade/Yes Marilyn C-Groove

Currently Reviewing: Byrdie Golf Design

Past Reviews: Titleist White Box and Lean Lock Putter

22 hours ago, TSauer said:

With the Masters quickly approaching, t-minus 29 days for those counting, I'm going to pose this question... Would you rather:

Get to play a round at Augusta National once

OR

Get Saturday and Sunday tickets to the Masters every year

No doubt - Play it, even if it meant I could never enter there again.  To walk the course that is a cornerstone of the golf courses, to be lost in knowing that the greats all played here - yes the experience “inside the ropes” is one that I would love to say “been there, enjoyed that!”

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; Edel SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I’ve been lucky enough to have been there four times, one of which was in 1986, courtesy of MacGregor Golf. (Yes… my greatest golf memory). 
That said, I’m in agreement with the overwhelming majority here, and that is to play! I’d like to add a caveat to that though. I’d want to have my round last about six hours so I could hit a variety of shots from various spots in the course, including every back tee. It wouldn’t matter AT ALL what my score was! 

WITB: Callaway Mavrik Pro Irons, Ping G425 Driver, TM Fairway, Vokey wedges, TaylorMade Spider putter. 

I'm going to be the outlier here.  I would prefer tickets. The ONE TIME experience may be great, but stepping foot on the grounds and seeing the course changes each year as well as the best players in the world duking it out year after year is too hard to pass up.  If the weather is bad on that ONE round or if I somehow forget how to hit a golf ball (im a 0.2, but everyone has bad days), then it's possibly ruined.   If the weather is terrible in 2024, then it's okay because I get to go back in '25, '26, '27, etc.  Being a witness to true history in the making means more to me than ONE singular round of golf ever could.  I know it's not the popular choice, but it's my choice.