Ready Golf - The New Norm?

I’ve been golfing since 1996 and ready golf was the norm back then so is it really the new norm or just the norm and some people are just slow no matter what.

i play with a bunch of random strangers and there’s never a discussion about ready golf everyone just does it.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

i play with a bunch of random strangers and there’s never a discussion about ready golf everyone just does it.

I have seen this often on the tee box but things go back to slow, sequential playing order as people get closer to the green. What is interesting is that this seems to be one of the more commonly understood "etiquette" aspects of the game. Even terrible players seem to be very aware of playing order, which is annoying since I think it should be dispensed with outside of competitive golf. 

I generally walk as well and most other people at my course ride so it helps me to hit first and then start walking. If I am playing with strangers (usually the case) then I typically ask them on the first tee if it is distracting for me to start walking as soon as I hit on most holes (there are some holes where there is no way for me to start walking without being distracting but there are a majority of holes where i can walk and be 60 yds out of the way laterally. Personally, I think this should be the case for all walking/cart combo groups. Let the walkers hit first (assuming they are all playing from the same tee box) and then start walking to their ball (out of the line of play of course). 

WARNING, possible irrelevant comment (not trying to derail the thread): I enjoyed @Josh Parker's article and I have one random thought to add to it. How much of slow play, like not playing ready golf, is influenced by the professional game? Those guys and girls (especially Brooke Henderson) are SOOOOOO slow. Same with college golf and junior golf. A dozen practice swings, walking 40 yds up to the green for a routine pitch shot, circling a putt from 3 angles. I understand they are playing for their livelihoods but it is embarrassing. I would equate it, perhaps erroneously, to flopping in soccer and basketball. As more and more professionals did it, flopping crept into college and then even junior sports. It bums me out. These pros should be setting the example on how to play more efficiently not setting the example of how slowly you can actually play. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5*/STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25*/ Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

I have seen this often on the tee box but things go back to slow, sequential playing order as people get closer to the green. What is interesting is that this seems to be one of the more commonly understood "etiquette" aspects of the game. Even terrible players seem to be very aware of playing order, which is annoying since I think it should be dispensed with outside of competitive golf. 

In/around the greens most times everyone is getting there at the same time so it’s not really something that affects pace of play and most people I play with read their putts while others are putting or getting ready to putt while also not distracting the person currently trying to make a putt.

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

I have one random thought to add to it. How much of slow play, like not playing ready golf, is influenced by the professional game?

Slow people are slow regardless of the tours and what they see

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Posted (edited)

I ride most of the time. I play with my brother most of the time. I get out of the cart with a couple of clubs and walk to my ball while he is hitting and vice-versa. We don't bother with who's out.... who ever is ready, hits or putts. It really isn't hard or a big deal.

I find that the biggest cause of slow play is the group/s ahead of us.... we usually catch up to almost everyone in front of us, and then wait 10 minutes on every hole after that while 'they' take 6 shots to get to the green and 5-6 putts to get off of it.. The other huge cause of slow play (at my home course) is too many players on the course at one time. I understand the course needing to make money, but loading the course with as many as you can is a recipe for slow play.

Edited by silver & black
add more

Outside of tournaments, every golf course should make ready golf mandatory

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Very seldom do I see any group not trying to play ready golf. But “ready golf” means something different to each person or group. Our course aims for a four hour round, and generally speaking it’s pretty doable. What seems to slow down play (imho) is simply not paying attention or not caring about pace of play.  What makes this worse is when a slow play group won’t let others play through. I’ve played as a single with a cart and got stuck behind for “finance bros” that played every shot like they were on tour. Didn’t offer to let me play through even when I caught them on the tee and they hadn’t teed off yet. Regarding beginners, we’ve all been there. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Ready golf has always been the norm.  Moved to a private club and thought it would be more traditional - nope.  The onus is on pace of play.  It becomes a little more "who's out" near the green but still mostly understood Ready Golf.  SLOW GLACIAL rounds now play at 4:30.  Usually, I play 3:50-4:00 for 18.  

Hit ‘em straight. Never lay up. 

I’m afraid it’s probably always been slow on the golf course.

The great golf writer Bernard Darwin wrote an essay back in the 20’s/30’s about “The group in front”-where he bemoans in his humorous style the speed of play - what are they up to ,why are they taking so long?

On the subject of how little this marvellous game of ours actually changes he also wrote an essay on the long hitting Harold Hilton in the 1920’s- should we change the ball,’ lengthen the courses,more bunkers etc…

plus ca change!

Dundas Parks is a 9 Hole course so ready golf is key to pace of play. During competition groups are limited to 3 to ensure that 9 holes takes 1:44:00, this includes hitting 1:00:00 at the 6th hole. 99% of golfers are carry or push carts so there is no worries about distractions. 

There are definetely some who take liberties when it comes to shot routines, as a junior coach I try to encourage our juniors to keep to a short routine.

Callaway XR Driver - Aldila NV Green Shaft 55g Stiff

Taylormade M2 3 Wood

Mizuno T-zoid 2 iron

Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid

5-AW Lynx #BB,

Ping Sigma 2 - Tyne Putter

Playing golf for over 60 years the playing time has slowed from less than 4 hours to almost five hours. We all walked back then and now most ride in carts. We ask why is this happening? 
1. Most parents or clubs explain how to play faster. At the course I grew up on the junior program you had to pass discussed fast play. 
2. As golfers we watch the pros on TV a they  play slower (particularly around the green) so some people do the same. The problem is they play in twosomes or threesomes and can complete a round in less time. 
3. Most golfers riding in carts arrive at there ball they sit in the cart and continue a conversation when the green is wide open. 
4. When you get your distance, get the club, take your practice swing then hit the ball. Tia should take about 30 seconds. If you take longer let’s say 45 seconds you alone will increase the round by 20 minutes. 
5. Be considerate of others. I’m talking about all the players behind you. 

I hope this helps someone playing in front of me so they don’t raise my blood pressure. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Posted (edited)

I've been playing since the 1980's and ready golf was non existent back then. I will tell you what else was non existent and that was golf devices and mobile phones. 

In my opinion people need to go back to basics, size up the shot as they are walking up the fairway and then hit the shot. 

Stop arsing around with distance finding and scorekeeping devices. 

Edited by BigPee
Spelling

Driver - Mizuno ST200

3 and 5 Woods - Titleist TSR2

3 Hybrid - Titleist TSR2

Irons - PING G410

Putter - Odyssey TEN

Typically ready for me ready golf is the norm not the exception.  A couple of guys I play with we use “best tee shot” for all the fours and fives….each of us plays in our own ball from there.  Much quicker to find the ball and pick than waiting for someone to beat their way back to the fairway.  Also we are not competing!  We also try to stay one shot behind the group ahead, if they are hitting their approaches just as as soon as they move we’re swinging.  Keeps things moving….

Here’s a side thought- since C-19 we have seen the return of popularity of golf course busyness - tight tee times, more less skilled players adding up to stacked ques, whereas pre-pandemic the courses were less busy and a slower pace was more easily tolerated.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Yup, slow play builds tension in the body and both are enemies to my golf. Here are some Old Guy Thoughts.

Everyone play the appropriate tees. (At 78, I'm sure not going way back there!)

Everyone get to the side if waiting on a partners shot and take your practice swings. (No more standing over the ball with 3-4 practice swings or 10 waggles!)

Let old guys like me occupy one cart. (If you have an old guy in your group, you KNOW he is naturally slower and often a short hitter!)

If someone has difficulty navigating on foot (e.g, bad knee, back), the course should grant an exception to cart path only. (Experienced old golfers will not damage the course with their cart; and few courses we play are so pristine that use of a cart would hurt it!)

Just some thoughts. Best, -Marv

36 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

Yup, slow play builds tension in the body and both are enemies to my golf. Here are some Old Guy Thoughts.

Everyone play the appropriate tees. (At 78, I'm sure not going way back there!)

Everyone get to the side if waiting on a partners shot and take your practice swings. (No more standing over the ball with 3-4 practice swings or 10 waggles!)

Let old guys like me occupy one cart. (If you have an old guy in your group, you KNOW he is naturally slower and often a short hitter!)

If someone has difficulty navigating on foot (e.g, bad knee, back), the course should grant an exception to cart path only. (Experienced old golfers will not damage the course with their cart; and few courses we play are so pristine that use of a cart would hurt it!)

Just some thoughts. Best, -Marv

As someone who works at a golf course I can assure you experienced senior golfers will damage a course if not told cart path only.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

Playing the correct tees for your ability is always the best solution.  15+ handicaps playing from 6800 yards is ridiculous.  On most days I would chain off any tee box more than 6300 yards. The other thing I would implement is you only get to mark your ball once on the green and you have to putt out once you start.  No marking the ball each time you four putt.  

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MarvChamp said:

My course has handicap flags that can be placed on your cart to get an exemption from cart path only.  That course has carts that will shut down if you are not where you are supposed to be and they disable the feature for the round.

A couple of the guys in our league qualify.  We didn't know they offered it until one of the handicapped guys mentioned hating cart path rules in casual conversation with the starter one week.  It's not advertised anywhere in our clubhouse but it is offered; so it's worth asking if the course has that option during check-in.

Edited by LebanonOz
grammar

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Regular
:ping-small: G425 3Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 7 - Regular

:ping-small: G425 4Hybrid 22* - Ping Tour 2.0 85/R
:mizuno-small: Mizuno 5i-GW - JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro  - KBS Tour 120 Stiff (soft stepped)
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 56* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Black
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 7S, Garsen Quad Tour non-tapered grip
Titleist ProV1x Left Dash; ProV1; Testing 2024 Snell Prime 3.0 and 4.0
Shot Scope X5 watch; Bushnell Pro X2 Range Finder

16 minutes ago, bama no 1 said:

As someone who works at a golf course I can assure you experienced senior golfers will damage a course if not told cart path only.

That’s the biggest complaint at my course. Lazy senior golfers (I’m a senior golfer so I can call them out).They will actually pull up stakes and take ropes down to drive  where they are not supposed to be. They also think they are entitled to their own cart. Four guys and four carts double the damage. They actually gathered the senior golfer club members and read them the riot act a few weeks ago. Follow the rules or you will loose membership. No more single cart riders unless there is a threesome and so on. People just don’t either, understand or care about the damage they can do to a course.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Biggest problem I see with slow play is people riding in the same cart have to watch their playing partner hit the golf ball instead of going to their ball and getting ready to hit. People won't get out of the cart and walk a little bit.

Scott Struffolino 

I see, especially when watching college golf, is that slow play is already ingrained into the elite players.

To me, pace of play is a learned behavior whether walking or using a cart. I started playing at age 36 and was taught ("beaten" into?) faster play by my mother-in-law and wife in my early golf years. 

Playing companions help me keep up when I walk and they use carts.  They let me ride on the back of the cart going up hills or long green-to-tee distances.  Also, if I will not get in the way of another player, I move directly to my ball even if I'm ahead of them.

4 minutes ago, stuffy said:

Biggest problem I see with slow play is people riding in the same cart have to watch their playing partner hit the golf ball instead of going to their ball and getting ready to hit. People won't get out of the cart and walk a little bit.

Yup, agreed 100%. My buddy and I play together a lot, we prefer to walk but if we're in a cart we always make a point to drop off the player with the closer ball, then head over to the other and be ready to hit. If I'm getting dropped off, I'll grab my club, hit my shot, and immediately start walking towards the cart if I'm not in someone else's way. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

I’v3 golfed for 40+ years now and my opinion there are a number of ways to speed up play, ready golf being the best.  I also agree that spending time shooting distances, checking email, etc. has slowed down the game.  There are times where knowing the distance to clear a bunker is important - to the golfer who can consistently hit the ball - but I find many of the people playing so focused on distance it paralyzes their game.  They then skull the shot, scoop the shot, and whole routine starts over…

Beyond that, there seems to be a societal trend of inconsiderate behavior.  To many people think only about themselves and not enough about those playing or behind them.  

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

I stopped playing Men's day at my club specifically because no one plays ready golf. Also, they play fivesomes on men's day which adds to slow play. Typically a round can be played in 3.5-4hrs (foursome) but men's day it's usually 5hrs +.

Driver -Sim Max 9* Ventus Red S or Callaway Rogue ST Max Tensei Blue Raw 55S

3 Wood - TSI2 Kurogage S

3/4 Hybrid - Srixon ZX

Irons - PXG 0311XP 5-6 -, PXG 0311P 7-GW MMT 80S

Wedges - Haywood 48 bent to 50, 56 bent to 54, 60 bent to 58 KBS Tour 90 steel

Putter - TM Spider Tour or Oddessy Big-T #5 (350g)

Posted (edited)

I always play ready golf and it drives me nuts when people don't.  On Monday night at the Spark golf league (very casual) my buddy and I got paired up with a mom and (adult) son who were definitely not playing ready golf.  It's only 9 holes and I'd say most people walk it either carrying or using a push cart but there are a few people who ride and these 2 decided to ride.  On every shot they would sit in the cart and watch the other person hit, even if their balls were only 15-20 yards away from each other.  By the 4th hole, we were 2 holes behind the group in front of us 🤬, we barely finished before it was too dark to even see the ball. 

Edited by ChitownM2

A well thought-out and written article. For those who are familiar with the game, ready golf is SOP - especially when courses get busy. 

When folks, not well versed in golf rules/etiquette, are playing - slow play and other situations can occur.

Marshals should control those situations, but if a course doesn’t have many/any, it can become difficult. While some of the slow groups let people play through, there are some who refuse - to the point of confrontation - which slows it further with other potential  consequences.

In a perfect world, there would be at least one Marshal on each nine, to ‘ride herd’ on play and efficiently deal with it. Many courses I’ve played have great marshals, who keep things moving. There are some out there who don’t. Hopefully, the lack of return business and/or bad reviews will help…

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

At our club, ready golf is expected.  But never tee up before an eagle or birdie man! No one wants 7 yrs of bad... Sometimes if we are on opposite sides of the fairway, we will hit simultaneously.   I have a Skycaddie GPS system.  Once I roll up to my ball I know front, middle and back yardage instantly.   I do notice this is quite a bit quicker than those with range finders. On the green we typically go based on who is away as you can learn quite a bit from others' putts.

The issue of slow play can be boiled down to one thing:

Everyone hates it when they are playing behind THAT group. No one cares when they ARE that group. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

2 hours ago, Marty2shanks said:

Playing the correct tees for your ability is always the best solution.  15+ handicaps playing from 6800 yards is ridiculous.  On most days I would chain off any tee box more than 6300 yards. The other thing I would implement is you only get to mark your ball once on the green and you have to putt out once you start.  No marking the ball each time you four putt.  

As a 15+ handicap I played anywhere from 6000-6700 yards regularly and had other mid to high handicaps in the group and we never had any issues keeping pace. 

I know 2 near scratch golfers that are a lot slower than many mid to high handicaps.

we really need to stop the generalizing about what type of golfer should play from where since each gets their handicaps differently.