Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

*Opinion: New Titleist Drivers, Ugly or New thing of Beauty?

Posted (edited)

Looks a lot like my TSRs face and crown, and the only look I care about is at address. I don't much care about the sole appearance. If anything, I like the TSR alignment mark better than the GT mark - but that's a nit. All I know is I don't need to upgrade this time around. 😀

I'm always in the simpler is better camp re: appearance anyway. I don't want flashy colors, patterns, or contrasting materials at address. A simple gloss black crown is ideal to my eye. YMMV

Here's the ugliest driver/fairway metal offering I've ever seen. Yuck. https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/first-look/limited-edition-callaway-paradym-ai-smoke-tactical-driver/

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Posted (edited)

Simply based on aesthetics I agree with "berkeleybob".... looks like a Mercedes E Class. It's hard for me to get past the aesthetics. The looks has me prejudging what the feel might be like. That also has me negatively judging performance.

A hard pass for me to even try it. Can't get past the looks. (wow - learned something about myself).

Edited by Sdub
  • Paradym Ai-Smoke MAX 12° - set to 11°
  • Paradym Ai-Smoke HL 3 Wood 16.5°
  • Paradym Ai-Smoke HL 3 Hybrid 18°
  • Paradym Ai-Smoke HL 4 Hybrid 21°
  • Paradym Ai-Smoke HL 6-AW Irons
  • Jaws Raw 52°, 56°, & 60° (full face) 
  • Jailbird 380 Putter
  • 2024 Chrome Tour

I've never thought any of the Titleist drivers were good looking, but looks don't hit the ball. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Looks are what brings you in...performance is what keeps it in your bag. 

Honestly, it could be quad colored greeen, purple, yellow and pink and as long as it goes further and straighter what does it matter? As long as I can aim it properly, the look of a golf club matters far less than the performance of one.

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

I'm in the minority of people I think, when it comes to the looks of a driver. I love the loud flashes of color and things. If you're going to do black, do it matt with some flashes of gloss. I'm the exact opposite when it comes to irons though. I like my irons clean and simple like the tacomos. I tested a TSR2 this year but wound up going with the Stealth2 Plus(it was basically the same as the QI10 but several hundred dollars cheaper). I had quite a bit of trouble squaring up the Titleist. It's more me than the club, but it just didn't fit my swing. It does have a very clean look to it. But it's way too plain jane for my taste. Again, I know I'm in the minority, but I kinda wish we had more options when it comes to driver looks. TM does the my whatever and charges extra for it. I think other manufacturers should follow suit with that.

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I have seen playing Titleist drivers for so long I don’t look at anything else.  The GT, I am hoping will be a big winner.  Been playing a TSI 3 for a couple years now and love it.  But it is time for an upgrade and the GT 3 is my choice. Performance is the only thing that matters to me.

Driver Titleist Tsi 3 9.75*
Fairway Titleist 5, 7 woods

Hybrd Titleist TSR 2 21* or

Utility iron Mizuno HiFly 4

Irons Mizuno Pro 245 5-P

Wedges Vokey SM9 48*, 54*, and 58*

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport super select

Ball Titleist ProV 1X

Yuck!

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

I've always loved the look of Titleist drivers and woods and these are no different. I understand what others are saying regarding the sole, but it's never been a turn-off for me since you don't see it at address. I used to have a Titleist 910 D2 in the bag and loved it, until I upgraded to my Ping G425 Max.

I personally like the look of the TSi/TSr lines a bit better, but these are still very clean. Titleist seems to always keep it fairly simple in terms of design, but also leads to a timeless look in my opinion. 

All that being said, I would love to add one of these to the bag. I like the performance of my Ping G425 Max, but the look and sound of it is a turn-off for me. Can't argue with results though...

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

I’ve played glossy drivers and in bright sunny days and never once had glare hit me in the eyes or any other issues with glare from a glossy finish.

Weird to always read comments about this being a concern 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, KC Golf said:

I’m a TSR3 guy and I am totally okay with the look of the GT.  The GT name sounds like a sports car, but it is what I expect from a Titleist driver.  Looks totally fine to me.  Not sure you mess with a four proven look by adding ribs like a Ping or a line of colour on the face.

The weight track on the GT3 looks like the TSi3 FW in my bag.  I have to admit, I have never moved it around, buy it does catch a lot of dirt when I play it from the fairway.  So that might be something to look out for if you play a driver from the fairway.  I don’t play a driver off the deck so no issues for me.

i would say, I am happy to see it out already.  Can’t wait to try GT3 out for a fitting.  Does it appreciably increase distance or compensate better on mishits…  I also need to try the GT2

The GT3 weight system is now sealed with windows to see the weight setting, so our minor issues with the occasional dirt getting in there is gone.

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

Just different looking at the sole of a club nowadays that doesn’t have a million things going on.  Maybe add a couple moveable weight decals just for visual affect…

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

I think they look great in the photos, but who knows until you actually get them in your hand. I’ve gamed every Titleist driver since the 975D, and after the 905R, I thought the 910 D3 was the coolest looking “new release” I had ever seen (at the time). The TSR3 was a close second. Honestly, I was hoping for something a little more. The GT3 with the forward weights is probably out for me now, but the 2 may be perfect. I have been hearing the whole “Generational” buzz for a few months, so I thought they were going to go way outside the “Titleist box”. Maybe a Matte finish, some carbon on the sole, a duel weighted system on the 3, etc..,I’ll probably still buy one of them, or at least a serious demo.

TSR2  9* Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

TRS2 15* Ventus Velocore Red 7S

TS 21* Diamana BF 80S

TSI 23* Ventus HB 8S

Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 PX 6.0

Vokey SM6 Raw 48F/SM8 50F/56M/60M

SC X Fantom 5

Vessel Player 14 2.0

honestly I like the simplicity of the look. I know it's going to be packed with tech and keep up with the other new drivers out there, but I like it. It's like showing how performance is what matters most. I don't know what the crown looks like but the bottom looks clean! 

Jlo

19 minutes ago, RCGolf said:

I think they look great in the photos, but who knows until you actually get them in your hand. I’ve gamed every Titleist driver since the 975D, and after the 905R, I thought the 910 D3 was the coolest looking “new release” I had ever seen (at the time). The TSR3 was a close second. Honestly, I was hoping for something a little more. The GT3 with the forward weights is probably out for me now, but the 2 may be perfect. I have been hearing the whole “Generational” buzz for a few months, so I thought they were going to go way outside the “Titleist box”. Maybe a Matte finish, some carbon on the sole, a duel weighted system on the 3, etc..,I’ll probably still buy one of them, or at least a serious demo.

The Howitzer, which preceded the 975D, was to me the best looking Titleist titanium driver.
I wouldn't spend that much money when it was introduced, but I wish that I had one now.  

in flux

I’d give the GT2 a look. 

I’m not going to sprint to the shop to try one even if @chisag doesn’t beleive that statement 🤣

Next year would be about the time I’d start to look. Gun to my head, it’d be GT2 or a G430 LST. That shape head seems to fit me better than the TSi3 shape. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

really, the only thing you "see" when you swing it is the crown. The sole could be as ugly or as beautiful as it wants, you really only see that when you take the headcover off and before you address the ball. 

as far as looks go I've always thought that Titleist made the most beautiful drivers. I like the glossy head. reminds me of a beautiful automobile that has been shined up.

the only thing that I've noticed on the glossy head is that scratches become more noticeable and harder to 'cover up'.

other than that I think this is a thing of beauty.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

It’s classic Titlesist - understated looks with tons of performance under the hood.  There’s only so many ways one can decorate a workhorse, so kudos to them for a clean all business driver.  Of course I’m the guy who’s still swinging a Ping G400 with its turbolators…then again it may be the flat black top /non glare top I really like…can’t wait to see if MGS gets some to test…then it’ll be on! 

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

5 hours ago, MichaelM said:

I don't care if it's square and bright yellow. If I can hit it longer and straighter than my current driver, I'm good.

sasquatch-sumo-squared-938-2_1.png

I was going to say the same thing as I used this very driver.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

I don’t mind it, but I’m really excited for the following iterations. Need to get myself a GT-R 😁

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (45.5")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, Reg flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft, :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip (34")
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

When I saw the first pictures yesterday morning, I was not fond of the stripe on the sole because it looked white. After seeing other pics where I realized that it was a silver stripe and watching a video for them, I’m digging the new GT line aesthetically. I’m looking forward to giving the drivers a try as well as patiently waiting for the woods and hybrids. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I love the traditional shapes that Titleist always delivers.  Even when they work on a driver to reduce spin (typically by elongating the top profile and shallowing the face), their drivers are just classic.  But the looks are a bonus, not the core.  Titleist delivers performance season in, season out.  Yes, I'm a fan.

Joe Lutz

image.png.fa16288bb34d6cad4b4fd5c46ed92cf2.png Driver TSr3, 9 degree, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue S-6

image.png.129349b6ce4eb80f963bfaa33d261718.png TSi3 Fairway woods, 13.5 degree and 16 degree, Fujikura Red S-7

image.png.be4797a1eeaf0aa2d65e6fb7677aa318.png TS100s Irons, 5 - GW, 

I don't mind it.  Looks the same as all other Titleist models to me.   Plus I could care less what's on the sole ... I never see it unless I'm taking off the headcover & that's for a split second.    But it all comes down to performance, regardless of looks.  So until September, we shall see 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

It’s been said already, but in my opinion it looks like a Kirkland driver. 

The previous models of the Titleist driver have been some of my favorites to date. This one is definitely not on that list, or even very close to a top 5.  

WITB: PXG 0211 driver, paradym 3h, paradym X 4-P, Jaws Raw 52, 56, 60, Ping CrazE C putter.