Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - COBRA F7/F7+ Drivers

giphy-facebook_s.jpg?t=1

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep seeing this being bumped and it's making me sad. My F7+ is currently w/out a shaft, as I had to send it in and get a new one. I've been playing my old driver and it doesn't even compare.

Saturday can't come soon enough.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Hang in there TS, this time with the old big dawg will make you appreciate the 7+ getting back to you even more.  

Sorry about the bumps making you sad but we are charged with bumping the thread so that folks, especially new folks can read the reviews and and questions or add comments.  It will be better come Saturday.  

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

BUMP!!!

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Hello all, 

I am considering buying the Cobra F7/F7+, I need to go hit it at a local store, but I am loving everything I am reading about it.  Also, the promos for a free 3 wood are quite intriguing since I don't have a 3w in the bag at the moment but need one.  

I had a fitting today and we found the shaft that fit me best (was crushing the JPX 900 with a Fujikura Speeder Evo 2 vs stock Ping G and Stock BB Epic clubs), but I wanted to see what MGS had to say in their testing.

I was wondering if anyone knew why the Cobra F7+ didn't make the top 5 for swing speeds over 105? It was top 6 in Carry, Top 4 in Total Distance, Top 5 in Distance Offline. Seems like that would merit a top 5 ranking but it's not in there.  Is it because true rank puts pretty large weight into spin and ball mph, and they were middle of the pack?

Seems like the final results of where the ball ended up (Carry, Total Distance, and Offline/Accuracy) support a top ranking?

What is everyone else's take away from the Most Wanted?

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

Great job on these reviews! I have been shopping for a new driver and it's been between the F7+ and the EPIC, I have tested both at Golf Galaxy and the F7+ seemed to fit my swing better, but it's always hard to tell in a simulator.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Hello all, 

I am considering buying the Cobra F7/F7+, I need to go hit it at a local store, but I am loving everything I am reading about it.  Also, the promos for a free 3 wood are quite intriguing since I don't have a 3w in the bag at the moment but need one.  

I had a fitting today and we found the shaft that fit me best (was crushing the JPX 900 with a Fujikura Speeder Evo 2 vs stock Ping G and Stock BB Epic clubs), but I wanted to see what MGS had to say in their testing.

I was wondering if anyone knew why the Cobra F7+ didn't make the top 5 for swing speeds over 105? It was top 6 in Carry, Top 4 in Total Distance, Top 5 in Distance Offline. Seems like that would merit a top 5 ranking but it's not in there.  Is it because true rank puts pretty large weight into spin and ball mph, and they were middle of the pack?

Seems like the final results of where the ball ended up (Carry, Total Distance, and Offline/Accuracy) support a top ranking?

What is everyone else's take away from the Most Wanted?

I personally would put a lot of stock in drewneddy's review after he was fit for a shaft and got it out on the course, check back a page or so.  The Most Wanted is the stock offering.  

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Bump

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Bumping.  I imagine the stage 3 postings will be coming soon so if you have any questions or comments please go ahead and get them in. 

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

How has the forgiveness been with this driver, especially with toe hits?

Are you seeing a marginal distance increase over your previous driver?

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

The F7+ is not really forgiving. However I've noticed on toe hits that my distance and control is up over my old Aeroburner TP.

Before the shaft change I had more misses towards the heel. New shaft -1/2 shorter and I've been all over the center of the club face since.

I can't try to jump on it or the miss comes out. I was telling someone the other day my swing thought is 85% power. Subconsciously it's actually a 100% and clubhead speed 110-112mph but it gives me better control and contact.

Curious how the forgiveness is on the F7.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For those of you who suffered from hitting a slice or played a fade, did you move the weight to the inside and test it out? If so, did you like the result?

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

How does the crown finish hold up? It looked like it could scuff easily over time?

Mine still looks really good, but I always replace the headcover before putting it back in the bag.  

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

For those of you who suffered from hitting a slice or played a fade, did you move the weight to the inside and test it out? If so, did you like the result?

I play a draw and actually have to guard against a hook.  I have not moved the weights. 

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

How has the forgiveness been with this driver, especially with toe hits?

Are you seeing a marginal distance increase over your previous driver?

The F7 is a forgiving driver IMO, I see some surprisingly good results on toe hits most times.  I am not seeing any distance  increase over my previous driver.

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

How does the crown finish hold up? It looked like it could scuff easily over time?

I usually walk and put the head cover on after each shot.

But one round riding and not thinking I have some scratches from my alignment sticks.

Dawg and Drew. I just wanted to say thanks for your great work on this review and your participation in this thread.

I haven't asked many questions as you both pretty much have covered everything there is.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for the good words Rob.  You rock!

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Looks like it is time for a bump!  

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

When I hit this it had a nice muted sound, but I hit many drivers that day. DD I know you said your not a sound freak, but how does it compare to your gamer? Quieter, louder?

My R1 is rather loud.

Thanks for the question Shankster!   To me it is slightly louder and slightly higher pitched, I don't have very good hearing and the left ear is the worse, also I suffer from a very high pitched tinnitus so it may sound entirely different to someone else.  

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Thanks for the question Shankster! To me it is slightly louder and slightly higher pitched, I don't have very good hearing and the left ear is the worse, also I suffer from a very high pitched tinnitus so it may sound entirely different to someone else.

I have the same tinnitus. It is a b***h sometimes. So this is perfect, thanks!

- Alan

Thanks for both of your great reviews.

I was looking for a new driver and the Cobra deal with the free fairway wood was too good to pass up! Your guys reviews helped me know that I'm getting a good club.

Ordered a F7 w/ project x hzrdus yellow. Got the same shaft in the free fairway wood as well.

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

I was wondering if anyone took them up on that deal.  I know if I were in the market for a new driver I would certainly be swayed by that.  I again state that I like the driver but the shaft and grip are not to my liking.  Being fitted for the shaft and putting my own grip on it would put it in my bag with no looking back.  

Great purchase and please throw in a comment or two on how each perform for you.   Good luck!

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Yeah I did a fitting with my local pro and he didn't have any Cobra stuff, but I hit a Fujikura speeder pretty well. So he said the Hzrdus yellow should be close enough.

Being a 20 handicap I'm not concerned about squeezing out every ounce of performance, just wanted something solid and the F7 and F7+ head seem to fit the bill.

From all the due diligence I did, it seems some people may hit other heads better, but the Cobra heads seem to be at least middle of the pack if not some of the top  performers. So I think it's a safe option considering it wasn't a fitting where I choose the best head and shaft performance combo from thousands of options.

Don't want to steal your guys thunder but I'll definitely post some pics and short review on my thoughts when I get it and start playing with it

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

Stage Three - The Follow Up & Value Question.

The Five Questions

1. Will this product go in your bag? Why or why not?

Not at this time, I need a larger grip and weaker flex. I can order the grip for the Arccos and the shaft adapter from Cobra, so I will most likely be ordering each so as to put a different shaft in combination with this head. I still love the clean look of the head and have hit some great drives with it but I just am not as consistent with it as I feel I can be.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this product? Why?

I truly would recommend this to anyone considering a new driver this season. I believe in being fit for your clubs and this one should be on your list, especially if you are a stats geek or even in need of a golf GPS. Arccos is still some what buggy for me when I am at remote courses but it is a fun addition when it is working as intended. This driver as configured is not quite right for me but with a few tweeks I believe it could be as good as any of the others I have hit or played.

3. How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of Cobra?

I have been playing golf for a few decades, in all of that time I have only owned a set of Cobra S2 irons. I liked them but was not fit for them. After playing them for 6 months I went to a professional fitter and he told me that I did not need to ever play a SGI iron so I sold them and have not looked at a Cobra product ever again until this testing. This F7 driver has certainly piqued my interest in Cobra products. I do plan to do the shaft and grip changes to see what this driver will actually do for my game.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

As far as the current offering I cannot think of anything that should change other than the usual

R&D all companies are involved in. I think the Arccos feature is pretty neat but it still has some

bugs interfacing with the app. I really like the looks of the head shape and size plus the

graphics on both the head and shaft. I like the weights in the bottom, I wish I had a weight kit

with different weights to tinker around with. Sometimes that can lead to a good club becoming

a great club.

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

I love the idea of incorporating Arccos into the grip, I also like that you can order a replacement

from Cobra that allows you to change the Arccos unit when you change grips. My only thing is

I wish the interface with the app was better, not sure how that will happen but it was a

disappointment to try to show it to friends and it totally not do what it was supposed to.

A huge thank you again to Cobra Golf and MSG for this testing opportunity.  I plan to check in to answer any questions everyone might have to the best of my ability.   Thanks to everyone for reading along and good luck to those who have purchased the F7 and F7+.

Well done buddy and as always you put 110% in anything you do.  I'm still loving my F6 and I'm betting once you get the right shaft and grip, your F7 will bark louder than a stud coon hound!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Bump

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2

I really like that Stage 3 Randy.  The questions are simple and basically tell everyone what they would want to know.  Good honest feedback from you on the performance and what you do and don't like about it.  

Again both you guys nailed this testing!!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived