Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Cooking

tommc23

Making sausage and peppers for the station tonight mixed hot and sweet Italian sausage. It's in an olive oil red wine sauce which I haven't done in a long time I can't wait to try it later. Grilled the sausages before they went into the onion and peppers.

20200613_131401.jpg

20200613_121413.jpg

20200613_121341.jpg

Doing carnitas tacos tonight.@sirchunksalot I'll be doing exactly what I mentioned earlier. I've got a bunch of pork loin marinating since last night. I'm about to throw in the smoker for 2 hrs. Then the grill for some charred goodness, and then the pressure cooker with onions, garlic, and green salsa.

I'll top off the tacos with some jicama slaw, homemade guac, and cotijo cheese.

More pics to come!

0614200902.jpeg0614200903.jpeg0614200905.jpeg

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

25 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Doing carnitas tacos tonight.@sirchunksalot I'll be doing exactly what I mentioned earlier. I've got a bunch of pork loin marinating since last night. I'm about to throw in the smoker for 2 hrs. Then the grill for some charred goodness, and then the pressure cooker with onions, garlic, and green salsa.

I'll top off the tacos with some jicama slaw, homemade guac, and cotijo cheese.

More pics to come!

0614200902.jpeg0614200903.jpeg0614200905.jpeg

You just made me hungry. That sounds fantastic and I don't even know what jicama slaw is. I'm going to Google it. 

You just made me hungry. That sounds fantastic and I don't even know what jicama slaw is. I'm going to Google it. 
Jicama is a Mexican root vegetable. Very common here in AZ but also kind of obscure if you don't have a very venturous pallet.

It almost has the crispy texture of an apple and the flavor of a mild carrot. Mildly sweet and just a tad earthy but I think they're pretty flippin tasty!

You can cut them up and eat like carrot sticks plain or with dressing. Dice or grate them and put on salad or use in place of lettuce/cabbage like I'm doing tonight. Tonight I'll be grating and mixing with a splash of cider vinegar, red onion, lime juice, and some chili powder.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Just an hour and then heavenly shredded goodness.. tacos were absolute perfection!

The slaw turned out even better than I imagined and will be a go to for future taco nights. It was a perfect compliment to the smoked pork & homemade guacamole.

I came up with this recipe but apparently there are similar takes out there on the interweb.

1 cup shredded jicama
1/2 cup shredded Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 diced sweet onion
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T lime juice
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin

Next time I'm gonna add some sweet yellow corn.

0614201517.jpg.8bf45c028bce10cd598dabd6d5fb651e.jpg

0614201644.jpg.a77b87b28dde898d63966b761e8e7dcf.jpg

0614201754.jpg.a68c7c1f5edf0701ea460adbc5cd5999.jpg

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Just an hour and then heavenly shredded goodness.. tacos were absolute perfection!

The slaw turned out even better than I imagined and will be a go to for future taco nights. It was a perfect compliment to the smoked pork & homemade guacamole.

I came up with this recipe but apparently there are similar takes out there on the interweb.

1 cup shredded jicama
1/2 cup shredded Granny Smith apple
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 diced sweet onion
1 T apple cider vinegar
1 T lime juice
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin

Next time I'm gonna add some sweet yellow corn.

0614201517.jpg.8bf45c028bce10cd598dabd6d5fb651e.jpg

0614201644.jpg.a77b87b28dde898d63966b761e8e7dcf.jpg

0614201754.jpg.a68c7c1f5edf0701ea460adbc5cd5999.jpg

just curious why you didn't want to just smoke it vs. finishing in the IP? was it a time thing?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

9 hours ago, yungkory said:

just curious why you didn't want to just smoke it vs. finishing in the IP? was it a time thing?

So the move to use the IP is kind of multi-purpose. With kids running around, and the Mrs. out running errands, it's always more convenient to shorten any cooking time AMAP. I know that trying to speed up the process with a lot of smoking or cooking, isn't the best move but for something like this, when I can use the IP and still get great results with very little effort, in about 1/4 the time is a win. (At 165* max smoker temp, it can take all day to get any meat to break down). Also, I was using pork loin and not a shoulder. It was on sale for $1.25/lb. There just isn't enough fat in the loin, so break down time can be a little lengthy and the end result can be hit or miss. All of that can be perfectly remedied with the IP as you can add moisture back into the meat with green salsa and olive oil. for 10 lbs of loin from smoker to table, it was a total of about 3.5 hrs. That also included the 15 min grill time in between. 

I've done it before in the smoker and then finished on the grill at 300* wrapped in foil which works well but still takes much longer. 

Also, our next door neighbor is our "adopted grandma". We swap meals quite often. She was asking if we had a digital pressure cooker as she was thinking about getting one. This was my perfect opportunity to show her and @sirchunksalot what can be done with the IP. 😄

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Chicken street tacos tonight at the firehouse. 

6F33EC31-D85B-4C32-BE7B-78948535C7B8.jpeg

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

56 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Looks good

Thanks Chef 😊

47 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

1. Yum!

2. That's some restaurant quality plating and presentation.

Thanks man...super easy I have to be honest with you. Sour cream with avocado and lime. Some grated Cotija cheese and sweet onion chopped with cilantro. Make sure to salt it properly and it’s done. Best part is you don’t feel like you’re dragging an anchor around after dinner. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

10 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So the move to use the IP is kind of multi-purpose. With kids running around, and the Mrs. out running errands, it's always more convenient to shorten any cooking time AMAP. I know that trying to speed up the process with a lot of smoking or cooking, isn't the best move but for something like this, when I can use the IP and still get great results with very little effort, in about 1/4 the time is a win. (At 165* max smoker temp, it can take all day to get any meat to break down). Also, I was using pork loin and not a shoulder. It was on sale for $1.25/lb. There just isn't enough fat in the loin, so break down time can be a little lengthy and the end result can be hit or miss. All of that can be perfectly remedied with the IP as you can add moisture back into the meat with green salsa and olive oil. for 10 lbs of loin from smoker to table, it was a total of about 3.5 hrs. That also included the 15 min grill time in between. 

I've done it before in the smoker and then finished on the grill at 300* wrapped in foil which works well but still takes much longer. 

Also, our next door neighbor is our "adopted grandma". We swap meals quite often. She was asking if we had a digital pressure cooker as she was thinking about getting one. This was my perfect opportunity to show her and @sirchunksalot what can be done with the IP. 😄

I have so much to learn about smoking. I'm super excited to be able to do it next year when we move.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Just now, yungkory said:

I have so much to learn about smoking. I'm super excited to be able to do it next year when we move.

I smoked those ribs at 275 for 2 hours pulled them from the smoker when they hit the color I wanted and wrapped them in foil. I put them ontop of butter, my homemade dry rub(that i initially put onto the ribs), and brown sugar on the bottom. On top of the ribs I put butter and pure agave, first time ever doing so. I let them finish in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 until they reached the desired texture when I picked them up in my hand. I ate one and it was pretty good the agave was the one new thing and I'll see how I like them tomorrow it tasted good tonight but not as much heat as normal so I may have to add cayenne to my rub.

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

Once you do it, you'll wonder how you ever live without it. I was going back and forth for a couple of years about getting one because I was listening to some of the guys at work talk about it. I finally got mine as a five year anniversary gift from work and regretted not getting one earlier. 

Ok, now I'm not only hungry but also jealous. I love venison! I used to make poppers out of jerky sized slices of loin. I would marinade then in Allegro's then place provolone cheese and a jalapeno on them, roll them up, wrap them with bacon, and secure with a toothpick. Grill them up, then enjoy! 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Ok, now I'm not only hungry but also jealous. I love venison! I used to make poppers out of jerky sized slices of loin. I would marinade then in Allegro's then place provolone cheese and a jalapeno on them, roll them up, wrap them with bacon, and secure with a toothpick. Grill them up, then enjoy! 

I made 11 of them at 2 oz per slider. They will be lunch on my days on and I'll probably share one or two of them with co-workers.

47 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I made deer sliders tonight

15923482036761691499455565814057.jpg

Looks good from here. Do you add any fat to the deer ground or is it 100%?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

37 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Looks good from here. Do you add any fat to the deer ground or is it 100%?

I do not I cooked them in the cast iron without any fat also. I smashed them and fried em fast and hard but they remained slightly medium in the middle which was nice. If I make a bigger burger and decide to grill it I will occasionally add beef for fat.

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

I do not I cooked them in the cast iron without any fat also. I smashed them and fried em fast and hard but they remained slightly medium in the middle which was nice. If I make a bigger burger and decide to grill it I will occasionally add beef for fat.

We have a half dozen hunters and it’s often on the menu. Always curious to hear how others get the most out of the animal. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I was fortunate to grow up in a home that featured two wonderful cooks, my mom and grandmother. Homemade biscuits and gravy (my favorite), cornbread, meatloaf, fried potatoes, you name it and they made it. 

My wife wasn't so lucky. I love my mother-in-law to pieces but she's no cook. When I first started dating my wife I would go to their house to eat and for dinner most nights it would be chicken chunks and Mac and cheese. After a while I decided to cook for my wife and make pork chops because, well, her mom couldn't cook them. They always dried out and and were chewy. My wife didn't actually believe they could be juicy and tasty. I proved her wrong.

Tonight my wife was thawing some out to cook and accidentally set the microwave to cook instead of defrost. It deformed the Styrofoam tray they were on and gave them a nice, dull grey color. Fortunately, we had more and they turned out delicious. I'm heading to bed and she's chopping them up to give the dogs and I honestly believe she's dulling the knife. The sounds she's making as she's reliving her mom's cooking were hilarious! 

I never did any cooking until I met my wife.  My mom and dad were great cooks even though they had to watch the sugar and cholesterol.  My wife hates to cook, although she is pretty good if I can get her in the kitchen.  So, we both cook.  We each have our "specialties".  I do all the BBQ, even though I am fairly new at it, and she prepares everything else.  If it a great meal, she says "The man puts the meat on the grill."  I also do a special salad, sort of like a Waldorf.  

One thing I find very difficult is most recipes make way to much for the two of us and leftovers are well... only good once.  Reducing the amounts doesn't always work.  So many recipes to try.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We have a half dozen hunters and it’s often on the menu. Always curious to hear how others get the most out of the animal. 

There is nothing better than Game Dinners. They were a blast back in the 60’s thru 80’s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I've got a pork shoulder in the smoker for pulled pork tonight. I brined it overnight and am smoking it with a mixture of Alder, pecan, and cherry. I'm planning on leaving it in about 6 hours before finishing it in the oven. On a side note, I think I have SWMBO convinced that we need an instant pot. We have a pretty small kitchen and just need to figure out where to store it. 

I'm cooking cheesesteaks for the guys at work tonight. Stopped at the local bakery in the city I work and got rolls yesterday cooked mushrooms and peppers along with caramelizing some onion. Didn't have steak mix at the store so I picked up some roasts and plan on using the meat slicer I have to cut things up. It'll be a good meal but not as cheap as other things I make.