Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What are your weather limits for golf?

GolfSpy MPR

'Tis the season for the golf season to end in these parts.

Living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, if you're going to golf with any regularity, you had best be prepared to golf in less than ideal weather. Our season up here, at best, runs from April to early November. More regularly, we start golf in May and wrap up in October. In 2014, we got feet of snow the last week of May, and weren't playing until mid-June.

Just typing that makes me sad.

For my part, any day that touches 40° (Fahrenheit, for those less eligible for review opportunities) is a reasonable golf day. Under 40°, it is not the temperature that is a problem. Most days in the 30s here are also overcast, drizzly, and windy. Those are miserable conditions for golf.

The other thing we have here is that once the snow falls, it typically stays on the ground the entire winter. We get between 150 and 200 inches of snow most winters here. So even in those rare February days when the weather creeps over freezing, we often still have feet of snow on the ground. For those reasons, more than the temperature, I rarely golf under 40°.

What about the rest of you? What are your weather limits? This includes you Florida and Arizona guys: when is it too hot to play?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain and cold. If it’s under 50 I’m not playing and i hate playing in the rain unless I have a reason to like a tournament. Just ask @GolfSpy MBP and @RoverRick how I play in the rain lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The coldest I’ve played in was like 38 degrees in Maryland in January. There were patches of snow on the ground and the lake in front of the 18th green had frozen over. There were also light snow flurries during the round. But I had fun and kept warm because I walked. I won’t do it in a cart, but walking is ok because it keeps you warmer.

Honestly I think I can handle colder weather versus brutally hot and humid weather. I can layer up for cold but brutally hot there is only so much your body can handle, no matter how few clothes you wear. And at least at 40 degrees I’m not constantly wiping sweat off of every orafice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

At the 9-hole exec course I played at for 18 years until 3 years ago, my wife and I played when it was low 20 degrees with or without snow on the ground.  We don't get much snow usually.  If we did it was dry powder.  We would blow or shovel the greens on 6 of the 9 holes nearest the clubhouse and a walkway off the front of the green.  We would play colored balls, and around the green we would move the ball to the walkway in front to chip or putt.  Playing on frozen ground is quite interesting; have to land short and bounce the ball onto the green.  After 6 holes we went into the clubhouse by the fire, have a drink, then go out for another 6 holes; continue until dark.

I hate playing in rain.  We don't get much rain, so if it's raining, I'll wait a few hours, then play.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Depends on hard hard the wind is blowing and whether it's sunny. Our Turkey scramble is normally held towards the end of November. For some reason it's always windy, overcast and about 40. Not fun for most of the players - but my son and I are generally pretty comfortable in our cart which has a full enclosure and heat.

Last year we stopped playing Dec 6th, it was about 45, sunny and little wind. I'll play as long as I can under those conditions.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don’t play in rain, or snow, and I will NOT play if it’s less than 50*. Not happening. I ripped-up my back playing in the cold a few years again, so, never again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm ok with the cold as long as the wind is calm. I worked outside for years and have plenty of cold weather gear that doesn't restrict motion too much. The worst I have played in was a couple years ago in Chicago when it was 35 degrees with wind blowing 30 mph. I told the friend I was staying with that I didn't drive 6 hours to sit on his couch so I was game if he was. We even had a snow squall blow through that covered the wind shield of the cart so we had to hang our heads out the side to see. We actually had a blast, but I don't think I'd do it again.

Edit: I actually have a video of white caps on a pond at the course - I need to find that.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Well, if there's no snow or heavy rain, you can find me on the golf course. 

So that basically means, 30's and up with a 30mph wind or less. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I really don’t like to play when it’s below 60 anymore but will if it’s with MGS visitors like Kenny and Martha or Barbajo and Matt a few years back - Foz was there for both of those rounds.

Having written that I have played when it was in the 30’s in CT, IN, NY, WI and yes - Florida. I actually shot a 73 here in Florida my first winter here.

I’ve played when it was in the 20’s in CT, NY and IN. I shot in the 70’s (76 I think) in IN once.

Not Wisconsin? No, because when it was in the 20’s there the ground was frozen and courses, closed. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I play with a group of retirees and I'm the youngest guy by almost 30 years. We played last year in 32 degree weather which was miserable because of the wind. I'll play in 30 and 40 degree weather but if there is a chance of rain with those temperatures, then I'm out. Can't keep those guys off the course though.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It must be at least in the upper 40s before I’ll even think of heading out to the course. But, this is the first year that I’ve had a cart with an enclosure, so we’ll see. It’s not that I can’t handle cold weather, I mean I do deer hunt when it well below freezing, but it’s just not enjoyable trying to golf.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I live in AZ and I have played in 120*. Not really too enjoyable but hey it is better than chores at home. Not really to bad unless it is monsoon season and the humidity is 60% at 115* out, that is unbearable. I really just do not like to play when it is super windy, no fun, like being in a hair dryer. Take lots of water and usually am good to go. Go through a lot of gloves in the summer. It is 80* here now so golf is great. Golf is also really cheap at some great tracks in the summer.

I’ll go down to about 30 degrees if there is no wind. Add wind and I’m out. Heat doesn’t bother me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

If it's bucketing down and windy before I tee off, I won't go off.  We don't get snow, and it's rare for it to get below freezing here, and given I play in the afternoon, cold doesn't keep me off the course.

Heat is more of a problem, if it gets above 100F my course cancels competitions, I'm happy to walk up to 105F, but anything above that I need a cart. Hottest I've played in was 117F and the cart died with 4 holes to go, I nearly melted down with 1 to go after walking the last few. I drank 6 pints over those 4 holes and was still dry.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

40 is right about my limit too. I played once in the 30's and my knee was a complete mess by around the 11th hole. Here in MA we have a lot of year-round courses, so if the wind isn't too bad and it's fairly sunny, walking keeps me plenty warm. 

I've played in the rain also, I don't mind it if it's drizzling. Torrential downpours is another thing entirely :D I'd prefer it colder to be honest than 90's and humid, that weather beats you up and you're dragging by the last 5-6 holes. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'll play in a light rain or on and off showers, but I can't play in cold weather. I have eczema and my hands will crack by the time I'm done with the first hole if it's much under 50. I also refuse to play in windy conditions. If it's a constant 20+ mph, it's just not fun for me. I might do an event in those conditions, but I'll most likely bail on my weekly foursome if that's the case. I don't regularly compete so learning to play in windy conditions isn't a good sell for me.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Under about 55° is way too cold for me and regardless of the temperature, if it's raining, I'm done. The exception to that is in Florida with @revkev and @fozcycle, because I didn't go all the way there to not play with them.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I try to play 52 weeks of the year, the only thing that usually stops me is if the course is closed.

In the heat I normally walk but when above 80'F will give in and take a buggy. Scotland is quite temperate so the coldest it gets in the Winter is -10'C/14'F. I just put on more layers, snood and hat. When the ground is frozen we play to shaved pieces of fairway as Winter greens with gimmes inside a putter length. It is not really golf as you know it, giant bounces and 300 yd drives. The shorter hitter usually win the money in these conditions.

The one set of conditions I don't go out in is howling +30mph wind with persistent rain but usually the course gets closed pretty quickly with these condiations

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

As long as the course will let me play. We are pretty much wrapped up on this side of the Yoop.

Calling for snow on Monday. There is a break in the rain on Saturday, if they are open I’m going out.

I’ve played when it was 19° outside, and the ground was still frozen, but they were open.

There were courses closed south of the Mac this weekend already... seems REALLY early for that.

I hate winter.

For me in the Pacific NW, it is consistent heavy rain. I’m all in to play in the cold and when it is wet. I prefer to walk the course and hate getting soaked playing. Last thing I need is another excuse as to why I suck. 🤣

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

As a Michigan resident and former Ohio resident, about 45 is my lowest as long as their is no precipitation and the wind isn’t too severe. I can tolerate 45 as long as it’s not windy and wet.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'm a bit of a puss when it comes to cold & wet. Like many responders above, 40-50 is what I seek out as my minimum with little or no wind and no precip if possible. As for the hot, yeah it sucks and we do have 4-5 weeks here in the 100's most every summer, so you just gotta be ready for it. It's desert dry so humidity is never an issue though. I actually played a round on a record-setting day temp-wise that was 112 I believe. Was pretty fried after that one...⚠️

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, No3PuttLaLa said:

For me in the Pacific NW, it is consistent heavy rain. I’m all in to play in the cold and when it is wet. I prefer to walk the course and hate getting soaked playing. Last thing I need is another excuse as to why I suck. 🤣

Make a trip over to the dry side!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, geez2323 said:

I live in AZ and I have played in 120*. Not really too enjoyable but hey it is better than chores at home. Not really to bad unless it is monsoon season and the humidity is 60% at 115* out, that is unbearable. I really just do not like to play when it is super windy, no fun, like being in a hair dryer. Take lots of water and usually am good to go. Go through a lot of gloves in the summer. It is 80* here now so golf is great. Golf is also really cheap at some great tracks in the summer.

I've played a lot of rounds is AZ over the years.  When I was working, I had an annual meeting in either Phoenix, Tucson, or Palm Desert, CA in July.  Great courses at great rates!!  However, my wife got heat stroke many years ago here at home when it was 110º, and every time we play in hot spots, she tends to get sick; bad experience one year at TPC Scottsdale in July.  It doesn't affect me, but we have to be careful when we play when the temps are over 100º.

Archived