Forum Org Change: Reviews Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
mpatrickriley

WIYB that makes no sense?

What club in your bag is most out of place? Here I'm looking for guys with a bag of senior flex shafts—and then one club that's X-flex. Or the other way around. Or you carve up the course with a set of blades, and a chipper.

I don't have a good one here myself, but I suspect some of you will have some great answers here. What's the club for you that you carry, that just works, but doesn't make sense given the rest of your bag?

• Like 2

Okay, who uses a mini golf putter?

I don't have a great one, but the most out of place club is my 2 iron. I am really not a good enough ball striker to play a 2 iron but for whatever reason, it works well. Also, I can only hit it off the deck, put it on a tee, and I catch it high on the face and it goes about 70 yards. I don't understand any of what is happening, but if it works, it works. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by GB13
  • Like 3

Driver STIFF

4 wood Firm

Irons STIFF

Wedges (should be STIFF) but I play regular flex.....

go figure 😉 

thats about as near as I get to making no sense.

p.s I'm crap with wedges.................🙄

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Driver STIFF

4 wood Firm

Irons STIFF

Wedges (should be STIFF) but I play regular flex.....

go figure 😉 

thats about as near as I get to making no sense.

p.s I'm crap with wedges.................🙄

I don't think this is too crazy, but you get points for your ending. Caught me off guard and made me laugh.

• Like 2

I would say my 3 wood. Every club is a stuff shaft, was fit into stuff shafts but the 3 wood has a regular flex shaft that is lighter than the driver shaft. In my bag because I got a good deal and hit it well. My club champion fitter told me not to change that it would be tough to beat.

• Like 2

My longest iron (Cobra King Utility) is lower lofted and plays a longer distance than my hybrid. 

3H (215), 3i (230), 4w (250)

I very rarely use the 3i off the deck for any approach. The 3i is used 80% off the tee, 10% for punchouts, and 10% for approaches off the deck (maybe once every 3-4 rounds).If there's room to miss with a good lie, I back off the 4w. If there's a bad lie or not much room to miss, I use the 3 hybrid and miss short. The 3i is easily the most unnecessary club in my bag, but I like hitting it so it stays in the bag.

• Like 1

My PE2 2i has seen very little action in recent years. It use to be my option for a 3w (persimmon days) which never treated me well.  I then acquired my Warbird 3w and, ever since, the 2i only gets pulled once in awhile.  If I ever switch to a different set of irons, I may still want a 3i, but for certain not a 2i... besides, most modern sets probably won't offer one anyway.

• Like 1

I have two six irons, one is bent to 27*, my set came 6-pw and didn't want to spend the money on an additional club and I had an old demo 6 iron upstairs and said what the heck, bent and extended and works fine.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I carry two 5 irons and have two gap wedges only two degrees apart. I blended a set of V6 and C300 forged and the C300 forged 5 iron was 20 yards longer than my V6 6 iron, so now I’ve got two. The V6 gap wedge is 50 and my RTX-4 is a 52, but there’s a 10 yard gap between them so they are in the bag. I’m obviously carrying a few more than 14 clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

When I graduated college in 2003 I was handed an emerald colored gemstone the size of a kidney bean. I threw it in my bag and never thought of it again. In that same zipper pouch is two ferrules, a couple buttons from a shirt and a yellow sharpie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

When I graduated college in 2003 I was handed an emerald colored gemstone the size of a kidney bean. I threw it in my bag and never thought of it again. In that same zipper pouch is two ferrules, a couple buttons from a shirt and a yellow sharpie.

Ha! I would guarantee every golfer has their "pocket of junk". In mine, I have, a change of socks, an old broken ball mark repair tool, a bottle of Purell, and 4 pennies. Now the fact that I can remember this now, but can never remember to throw any of it away, baffles me. 

• Like 3

Ha! I would guarantee every golfer has their "pocket of junk". In mine, I have, a change of socks, an old broken ball mark repair tool, a bottle of Purell, and 4 pennies. Now the fact that I can remember this now, but can never remember to throw any of it away, baffles me. 

I like the fact that you remember that you have 4 pennies. That’s precise.

• Like 3