Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

jlukes' Swing Overhaul

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Thanks... I think? I guess it's a miracle I'm a 4 handicap? 

Like when you tell a girl she looks better with the lights off. Nice backhanded compliments LOL.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

1 minute ago, yungkory said:

Like when you tell a girl she looks better with the lights off. Nice backhanded compliments LOL.

I don't normally like big teeth, but on you they work. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Good luck with the lesson series. I'm going to really look forward to the updates on your progress.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Good luck! Interested to follow along! I really need to find an instructor I like/trust.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

This thread is going to be a great follow for these next few months. I'm looking forward to the updates on progress. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I had my first lesson today and it was the perfect example of treating the disease, not the symptom.  In my case, the main disease is a lateral weight shift instead of a rotation.  It was clear from the pressure sensor and the video that I was sliding to the target and not getting my left hip behind me.  Corey wanted me to simply focus on feeling my weight transfer to my left heel while stiffening that front leg and getting my left him behind me.  He didn't want me to change anything else until we saw how the elimination of rotation changed what my hands and arms did.

Well the results spoke for themselves.  Proper rotation put me in a much better hitting position to the point where I  didn't need to flip my hands to make impact.  Flipping my hands wasn't a cause, it was an effect.  I was flipping my hands and standing up on the ball because if I didn't I would hit 6 inches behind the ball because my upper body and arms were so disconnected.  When I had my weight shifting correctly, my arms stayed close to my body, I didn't bring the shaft down as steep, and I didn't flip my wrists.

I will continue to drill the left hip behind me over the next week until my second lesson a week from today, but wow, what an eye-opener today was!

Before on right, new move with better rotation on the left

Thanks for the updates!  When you found yourself flipping what was the ball doing?  What I mean is did it tend to go right, left, short, etc...?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Being an ex baseball player, I had many of the same problems that you did, poor rotation and at times I would get too wristy.  It takes a lot of patience and work to make a swing change.  I did this just last year.  I had many rounds in the mid to high 80's for most of last summer, occasionally dipping into the low 70's when everything was working.  What a great feeling that was.  I know it's in there and like you and just about every other golfer on the planet...want to be more consistent.  That is my focus this year, I will give up a bit of length to hit more fairways and greens.  I am looking at bringing my handicap waaaay down this summer.  Stay focused and patient.  It will be hard but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Have fun! 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I could copy your intro to this thread in my own, with just a few edits. I don’t hit low 70’s very often (yet), and I’m not long and no longer anywhere near lean.

Those days when the timing is clicking make up for all the days when it’s not.

Back when I was a decent ball striker the one thing that really made the difference was keeping that left wrist flat. I had to pound a lot of balls to get that feeling normal. I remember feeling that all my power was leaving with the change, but the ball wasn’t losing any distance.

I have obviously not spent the time to maintain and now suffer the multi-miss again. I’ll be living vicariously through you this winter, so keep up with the updates! Good luck with the changes!!!!

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Jlukes I have the exact opposite issue. My left wrist bows too much going back and leads to coming too far from the inside. Funny that it produces the same shot pattern you have

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

21 minutes ago, gaussman1 said:

Jlukes I have the exact opposite issue. My left wrist bows too much going back and leads to coming too far from the inside. Funny that it produces the same shot pattern you have emoji16.png

I think the wrist angle only affects face angle and not club path. Bowed wrist like DJ promotes a closed face 

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

I think the wrist angle only affects face angle and not club path. Bowed wrist like DJ promotes a closed face 

I think this would be like what we were talking about earlier with your swing, how one thing is related to another. Bow the wrist, close the face: now, how are you going to make that functional? You can't possibly go outside-in with a closed face and come anywhere near a target. So in that regard, a bowed wrist ends up encouraging an in-to-out path.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I think this would be like what we were talking about earlier with your swing, how one thing is related to another. Bow the wrist, close the face: now, how are you going to make that functional? You can't possibly go outside-in with a closed face and come anywhere near a target. So in that regard, a bowed wrist ends up encouraging an in-to-out path.

Or is he so inside to out that he knows he has to close the face in order to come close to hitting target 😉

But that goes to show the importance of finding the disease. Need to experiment by changing path and seeing if it changes face angle and then change wrist/face angle to see if it changes path. Or maybe it's all weight shift issue that creates a swing path issue that creates a wrist angle.

Crossfield is a big proponent of this almost 'experimental' method of teaching and learning as it helps the student learn the why's and the how's and acquire the skills to self correct and hit different shots 

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You’re lesson video right (before) is like watching myself. I’ll be following along. Thanks for putting this up Joe.

What drill were you working on to get your after (left) position?

Just rotating on that post ‘left leg’?

The feeling that was working for me was pushing off the ground through my left heel and straightening my left leg to push my left hip back 

Well it promotes a closed face at the top certainly. Beyond that it all depends on how the player moves. Many players with cupped wrists also come over the top and most with a bowed wrist play from an underneath path and rotate aggressively to hit fades.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Arms are clearly more in sync with your torso. Lower body still looks dead and along for the ride. I’ll be interested to see if he can get you to sync upper and lower body where your legs and hips can really drive through the swing.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Arms are clearly more in sync with your torso. Lower body still looks dead and along for the ride. I’ll be interested to see if he can get you to sync upper and lower body where your legs and hips can really drive through the swing.

Yup - it was a completely new feeling for me and I was really having to force it rather than it be explosive and natural.  The move will become more natural over time, and with that, it will become faster and more explosive.

Yup - it was a completely new feeling for me and I was really having to force it rather than it be explosive and natural.  The move will become more natural over time, and with that, it will become faster and more explosive.

This has got to be one of the toughest swing fixes. Great job in such a short time.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

you have a few of my issues here, especially the lower half 'following' the upper half as opposed to the other way around.

Might be worth sticking up some real time videos as the slomo ones can be a tad deceiving sometimes on what is actually happening.

At the end of the day it's what your instructor tells you to do as we're all built differently and have different levels of mobility.

I play sometimes with an ex tour pro who has a frozen/calcified shoulder so has to pick the club up super steep on the backswing, looks weird but he hits it like a pro should and rarely is over par on any rounds.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

13 hours ago, jlukes said:

The feeling that was working for me was pushing off the ground through my left heel and straightening my left leg to push my left hip back 

I wonder if you were 'taught' this swing by someone else as I was.

When I was learning the game I was always told 'get your weight through the ball' over and over again. It didn't make any sense to me since how can a tiny lateral move of a few inches really produce significant power but they were grownups so what did I know. So I started doing that knee slide.

That right side video of you is me to a tee. It is only in the last few years that I realized it just didn't look like moves the pros make that made me focus on pushing off the ground as you say above and straightening my left leg. Interesting, I found it easier to hold my finish - which I think is a good thing.

Good luck, this had been really interesting to follow!

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

7 minutes ago, chemclub said:

I wonder if you were 'taught' this swing by someone else as I was.

When I was learning the game I was always told 'get your weight through the ball' over and over again. It didn't make any sense to me since how can a tiny lateral move of a few inches really produce significant power but they were grownups so what did I know. So I started doing that knee slide.

That right side video of you is me to a tee. It is only in the last few years that I realized it just didn't look like moves the pros make that made me focus on pushing off the ground as you say above and straightening my left leg. Interesting, I found it easier to hold my finish - which I think is a good thing.

Good luck, this had been really interesting to follow!

I am thinking that my slide forward is leftover from an even older version of my swing.  Two years ago I would slide back a bit on my backswing so I had to slide forward on the downswing to re-center myself.  As I worked to stabilize my backswing and eliminate the lateral slide on the back swing, I never really did the work to eliminate the slide on the downswing.

I’m leaving bing this thread! It’s a microcosm of what happens when you post a swing by on a forum even if you write, my teacher is....

We can all see there is something funky with Joe’s swing in the first video. He knew there was something funky, he has a goal and has found an instructor to help him reach it.

I’m at a club that has four class A pros, a mini tour player and former Euro/PGA tour on staff. If they know you are working with one as your teacher they will not give any swing advice because they don’t wish to interfere with another professional. As usual Chisags advice is spot on.

I loved the instruction video - just great stuff.

Best wishes, please continue to tell us how it’s going so that we can encourage you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Come on Rev. No way jlukes pro knows more about the golf swing than I do.

He just needs to swing harder

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I went to the range today during lunch with one goal in mind: rotate the left hip behind me.

I got a large bucket and hit everything from Sand Wedge to driver and early results are fantastic.  Obviously, with the new move, my strike position has changed so I had a few wonky shots, but I saw very few high flares to the right.  I was seeing a much better launch window with all of my clubs and I was generating much better contact with my irons.  Even the distance in 40 degree weather with cold range balls was pretty impressive.

I could easily tell by ball flight if I had rotated properly and that is a big part of getting lessons: understanding the changes you are making and being able to identify what you are doing wrong in the swing.

I love the encouragement and feedback I am getting in this thread.  It is really awesome to get engagement from the community like this.  One thing I want to point out is a lot of people are saying "we have similar issues/swings". 

I think if you can take away anything from my initial post, where I thought I knew what was wrong with my swing, to my first lesson where I learned what the main issue with my swing was, it is that not all swing issues have the same root cause.  Having a trained professional be able to work with me has allowed me to address the core of my issues.  If I was by myself, I would likely have tried to fix my wrist angles or shaft plane without even addressing the main issue,  which was my lateral weight shift and lack of rotation.

I hope this thread inspires others to go get some lessons so they can better understand their swing, the cause and effects of their swing faults, and to get a plan to get better.

After just one lesson, I feel like I am on a much better path towards consistency than I could ever have gotten on by myself.  I will continue to do my drills and work hard over the next week and look forward to providing another update after my next lesson on 1/10

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

After just one lesson, I feel like I am on a much better path towards consistency than I could ever have gotten on by myself.  I will continue to do my drills and work hard over the next week and look forward to providing another update after my next lesson on 1/10

Out of curiosity, what drills did your instructor have you do?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Out of curiosity, what drills did your instructor have you do?

Basically just taking my stance, with or without a club, simulating my backswing, and then firing the left hip back while straightening my left leg.  I need to get this new weight transfer/rotation to become second nature so that is all I am focusing on for now.  He said I could do it with my back against the wall, or with a club against my left butt cheek - whatever it takes for me to concentrate on firing my left hip up and behind me.

... I will add conventional teaching wisdom says you have to make 3 new swings for every 1 old swing to completely replace existing muscle memory. So for those of you attempting a new move, you need to be very diligent and not give up when it may seem like things have stalled or even gone backwards. Some better athletes or those with excellent discipline, can accomplish the change sooner with hard work and a 100% commitment to the process. I am enjoying this thread because I am sure JLukes is 100% committed to the change and following his progress should be very educational for most forum members. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour