Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

20 hours ago, heppler22 said:

I’m new to the forum and hoping to meet some locals here to play with from time-to-time.

1. How long have you been playing golf?

I’ve been playing golf for about 30 years, started when I was around 7 or 8. Until 2020 I didn’t play much, just a few times a year with my dad. We’d do little golf trips during the summers. Since 2020 I try to play 9-holes once a week during the playable time of year.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?

I currently have a 15.2 handicap. I normally score around 90, give or take 5 strokes.

3. What do you love about golf?

I love being out on a golf course on a beautiful day with people I enjoy. I love having a hobby that I can work on for the rest of my life but never master. I love the skills required to be good at golf: patience, ability to forget the last shot, body awareness, mental awareness, awareness of the land and air around you, having strength but also finesse. Golf really puts me in the moment and takes me out of my normal headspace.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I’m getting into understanding golf tech and the things that can actually benefit my game. I don’t know any Spies yet.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I’m originally from the greater Seattle area in Washington state. I moved to Indiana a year and a half ago, and I’m now in Westfield, just north of Indianapolis. Technically my home course is Wood Wind, but my first “home course” here was River Glen and it’ll always have a special place in my heart.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best: a lot of quality, challenging public courses nearby that are affordable.
Worst: can’t play year-round.

7. What do you do for a living?

I’m a software developer.

8. How’d you pick your user name?

I have a PING Heppler Tyne putter that I love, and the name seems to be seldom used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum - lots of great guys here in Ohio you can partner up with. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I started playing golf back in 1996 at 26 years old. I was working for a carpenter who owned a driving range and when his guy quit on him he asked if I'd mind tending to the rank unit he could find a replacement. So I did and eventually picked up a 5 wood and started hitting balls. Didn't take three or four shots to get bit. 

I usually shoot in the 80's, occasionally I'll get up into the low- mid 90's if I haven't played for a while. My current handicap is 19.5 but I had it down as far as 15 before a bad patch of play lat year. Ultimately I'm looking to get to single digits, but I'll be happy if I can get down to 12-14 this year.

What do you love about golf?

I love that it's difficult, I love that you have to hold yourself accountable, and I also love the valuable lessons golf can teach about life and how to plan, control your emotions, and stay focused on a goal... all valuable life skills. And so far golf is the only sport I've played where you an do everything perfect and still get a very bad result if the rub of the green goes against you.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Looking to meet new golfers from area and talk golf. No I don't know any other spies, or they've kept their cover if I do.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am from the Huntington WV-Ashland KY Sri-state area. I don't know that I have a home course. My time is split between Little Scioto Golf Course, Wheelersburg, OH; Riverbed Golf Course, Argillite, KY; Hidden Cove Golf Course, Grayson, KY; and the local Donald Ross track The Portsmouth Elks Country Club, McDermott, OH.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing is I have a Donald Ross track 15 minutes from my house, and the worst thing is that the golf courses aren't in very good shape due to waning popularity.

What do you do for a living?

I am a chef, DJ, gigging musician, and Doordasher.

How’d you pick your user name?

My user name is a reference to playing bass guitar in the band I was with at the time.

Cobra Rad Speed XB,Taylor Made PSI 4 iron, Wishon EQ1-NX 5-GW, Mizuno T22 SW,LW, M-Craft VI putter, OnCOre Elixr Matte Green

I’m from Avon Indiana, handicap 25.1 shot around 95-100. I like the fact it’s outside and quiet and relaxing, and a little challenging. I saw an advertisement and clicked on it, I like the community and the good information that comes out. The course I play the most is Foxcliff. The best thing about courses here is that they are abundant and relatively cheap to play. I drive a truck for a LTL company. A name I came up with all the way back when the internet and chat rooms were big. I played drums and that’s how I came up with it.

I have 3 dogs, I have 3 different hobby level rc, I try to golf as much as possible. At the moment my handicap is 25.1, and improving. Been golfing for about 10 years but only regularly for about 2.

1 hour ago, Drmer_boy said:

I’m from Avon Indiana, handicap 25.1 shot around 95-100. I like the fact it’s outside and quiet and relaxing, and a little challenging. I saw an advertisement and clicked on it, I like the community and the good information that comes out. The course I play the most is Foxcliff. The best thing about courses here is that they are abundant and relatively cheap to play. I drive a truck for a LTL company. A name I came up with all the way back when the internet and chat rooms were big. I played drums and that’s how I came up with it.

Welcome, Drmer_boy!

Glad to hear Foxcliff is still surviving. Is it public? If you're in Avon, you should try Twin Bridges in Danville (what I consider my home course). Unfortunately, Prestwick still has a long way to go for it to get back to its glory years 😕

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

How long have you been playing golf?
I first played when I was 12. So off and mostly on for 32 years. 

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I tend to shoot between 80 and 85, I haven’t kept a handicap lately, but I would guess I am playing about 8-10

What do you love about golf? That every round, every hole, every swing, every putt is a blank canvas and a fresh start. The smell of the grass. The sound of pure contact. The rattle of the cup when a putt, that has no business doing so, drops. The pristine silence of the first tee time of the day. Golf trips and all that entails.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I was made aware of MyGolfSpy by a former co-worker last year. It started as a vast resource for equipment questions I would occasionally ponder. It has been a slow descent into total immersion since then. Joining the forum seemed like the next logical step. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? I live just outside of Cincinnati, in South Lebanon, OH. For a lengthy period Hickory Woods was my adopted home, but lately most of my rounds are at Majestic Springs. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best is the variety of layouts and excellent courses within a short drive of home. The worst is, was, and will always be the weather. Although the rise of virtual golf has helped to beat back the winter blues

What do you do for a living? Construction Project Manager. I aspire to build cool stuff.

How’d you pick your user name?  As it is the name my mother gave me, I take no credit for its use.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

This is my third season playing consistenly. Played a bit casually when I was in school still but re-discovered how much I love playing back in 2020. Wife took be to a simulator for my birthday and I have been hook sense. If she had known the pathway to obsession that she had set me on, she may have had second thoughts on that date idea 🤣

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been fluctuating from 11-13 handicap the past half year. Goal is shoot better than bogey golf each time I go out but don't get too bogged down by my score.

I love getting out and walking a course. Get some movement in, while being outside and having fun. I also love how it is an avenue to talk/catch-up/get to know people while doing something as opposed to just sitting around.

I'm always looking for chances to talk golf so the forums is the perfect spot for that. MyGolfSpy in general is a spot I have consistently gone to for reviews since picking the game back up a few years ago.

Grand Rapids, MI. No home course really, I like to play a variety of courses too much. If I had to pick one it would probably be The Mines, designed by Mike Devries

Winter months are rough, 3-4 months of no outdoor golfs sucks. But once the season hits I think you would be hard pressed to find a state with a better variety of types of courses and value. Easily 15-20 courses within 30 minutes of my house.

I work in Corporate Well-being and Technology. Working from home and a flexible schedule means I can pick slow times at my favorite courses to go play!

First initial and last name, pretty straight forward.

Edited by dback

Driver: Mizuno STZ, HZRDUS Smoke Green 60S, 9.5 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Adams XTD (Looking to upgrade!)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

Hello Everyone, Glad to be here.

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap?

I started playing in high school, in '04, so going on 19 years now. My HDCP index at the start of the season is 9.6.

I love being outside. I love the challenges you face with every shot and all the different formats we can play in golf. I like my Monday Match play league, and my Tuesday scramble league, but I really like the random evenings we end up with 5 and playing wolf, or 7 and play 3v4 best ball. It's always different and always exciting.

I don't know any other spies, at least none that I am aware of... But I came here after years of consuming MGS reviews, videos and articles. It snowed today, so I figured I'd join the forum and get a little more involved in the community.

I'm originally from Delafield where my "home" course was the 9 hole course at St. Johns Northwest Military Academy, but now live near the Dells. My home course now is Reedsburg Country Club, I am a member, and my wife and I just purchased an acre or land on the course, planning on building in the next 4 years. Occasionally I get back to my childhood are and play the classics like Kettle Moraine, Broadlands, Nagawaukee, Western Lakes or Paganica. HMU if you're playing any of those this summer, I love golfing with new people.

What makes golf a RCC great is the challenge of the greens. The course is short, 6000 yards from the whites, but the FAST greens and lack of bail-out options on approach really make this course difficult. The worst part of golf around here is how long the winter's are/ short the golf season is.

I am a music teacher and love my summers off. Fathers day to Labor day I'm on the course 5-7 days a week.

BassMaestro is my username on a lot of platforms, some still alive some dead, but it comes from the Italian, Maestro is the leader or conductor of the orchestra. And when I was 10 years old, the first instrument I played was the String Bass. I still play it today, I played it in the Beloit-Janesville Symphony Orchestra through college. So I put them together as BassMaestro.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: PING G425 MAX 10.5, tuned up to 11.5

Woods: PING G425 MAX 5 wood & PING G25 hybrid

Irons: PING G30 4I - PW.

Wedges: PING Glide 52, 56, 60. The OG's but they are getting replaced this year with the 4.0!

Putter: PING Cadence TR B65.

Ball: Titleist -Pro V1x (Left Dash) I'm obsessed with how this ball flies off the driver and long irons. Word on the street is that the 2023 Pro V1x flies very similarly to the left dash, so I will probably try those out once my stock runs out.

Edited by BassMaestro

-BassMaestro

Driver: PING G425 MAX

Woods: PING G425 MAX 5 wood, G25 hybrid

Irons: PING G30 4I - PW

Wedges: PING Glide 4.0 52, 56, 60

Putter: PING Cadence TR B65

Ball: Titleist -Pro V1X (Left Dash)

• Been Playing Golf on and off since I was a kid whose back yard backed up to the 6th hole of a Local Muni. Chose to focus on Baseball through High school and College so Stopped playing golf as my baseball swing was the collateral damage. Picked up golf again a few years back and currently hover around a 15 handicap. Im the guy that is just as likely to shoot a 82-85 as I am 100+

• What I like about golf is the fact that I can still play, compared to baseball. I was able to transfer my obsession of baseball over to a sport that offers me more longevity. The social/competitive/bonding aspect with my daughter who has taken up golf is a pretty awesome as well. 

• In search of community and knowledge. I do know another Spy, and was recommended to the forum by them. 

• Michigan - Home Courses are Stonegate and Pigeon Creek. 

• Winter is the answer for both. Sucks that your stuck outside, and have to wait months for courses to open in the spring/early summer. Going inside to focus on the simulator is a nice change of pace and allows for intentional focus to improve.  

• I work in Economic Development, with a focus on Entrepreneurship and Hi-Tech/Hi-Growth Startups  

• it was given to me by my parents at birth.  (Their inspiration came from the GOAT, Michael Jordan)

Sub 70 699 irons 4i-PW

Sub 70 699U 2i

vokey 60

Ping Glide 56 

Cobra Bio Cell+ Driver (just broke 4/15/23)

I have been playing golf for 2 years now and average score sits around 100. I still have a long way to go but golf has really helped me find a passion and outlet which was hard to find something to keep me interested and direct my attention towards as an escape, having been a prior service combat vet. 

I love the challenge of trying to hone master a new skill along with the beautiful scenery different courses offer. 

I am from northern Indiana and consider my home course to be Eberhart-Petro Golf Course 

I am a prior service combat veteran (U.S.M.C.). For the past 8 years I have been a purchasing Agent for Lippert (RV parts supplier)

Nickname from high school.

My bag consists of

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. Putter

Calloway Diablo Habanero Driver 9.5

PING eye 2 Irons (4-PW)

Nicklaus ATW 3 HYBRID

King Cobra 3 wood

King Cobra 5 wood

Sand wedge

Lob wedge

Just thought I would share a putter I made.

This is an old PING myday putter that I used to make an impression into casting sand and then melted brass in my forge to pour this replica putter.

I love how it turned out. With it being solid brass the weight came in lower than the original PING myday putter so I had to add tungsten rods to the back cavity area to give a little more weight. I still use my odyssey mallet putter but definitely rip out the golden putter for special occasions. Hope ya'll enjoy!

20230418_113035.jpg

20230418_113711.jpg

My bag consists of

Odyssey Backstryke D.A.R.T. Putter

Calloway Diablo Habanero Driver 9.5

PING eye 2 Irons (4-PW)

Nicklaus ATW 3 HYBRID

King Cobra 3 wood

King Cobra 5 wood

Sand wedge

Lob wedge

1. I’ve been playing for about 20 years but have gotten more into it and more serious the last 5 years. I’m currently a 15 handicap but I broke 80 for the first time already this year in the 3rd round of the spring and am hoping to get down to a 10 handicap this summer 

2. I love that golf is the most frustrating and enjoyable activity often times during the same round. 

3. I happened upon MGS randomly through a google search about a year ago and have been a devoted follower ever since 

4. I’m from Wisconsin and my home course is little River cc 

5. Best part of golf in this area is its affordable and tee times are easy to come by. The worst part is the season is short and there are plenty of 50 degree mornings on the course 

6 I work at a pulp mill 

7. Because laces are clearly for suckers 

Me winning isn’t, you do 

Since I was 10 (39 years) / 16.7 HDCP currently (lowest handy ever is 10.5)

Hitting my intended shot/hanging with the guys

Tech and gear, advice, candid reviews

Originally from Michigan, lived in Chicago for 15 years, now in Minnesota (Twin Cities) for past 10

The courses are constantly busy through the prime golf season as are the ranges. There are enough courses to play and one of the best ranges is in my area.

Software Quality Assurance Analyst 

It's what I seem to do on the course.

In the bag:
Driver: image.png.013a08ef45493c46682863ee81c2ed14.pngTaylormade Stealth Driver 9° Aldila Ascent Red 60 Stiff

Fairway Wood:image.png.013a08ef45493c46682863ee81c2ed14.png Taylormade M4 3-Wood 3 HL 16.5° Fujikara Atmos 6 Red Stiff
Hybrid:  image.png.013a08ef45493c46682863ee81c2ed14.png Taylormade M4 Hybrid 3 19° Fujikara Atmos 7 Red Stiff
Irons:  Callaway Rogue 4-AW True Temper XP 95 S300
Wedges:  Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 60° 10 Deg Bounce / Titleist Vokey SM8 54° 10 Deg Bounce S Grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X
Bag:   Taylor Made Taylormade Pro 8.0 Stand Bag
Balls:  Whatever looks good that day

I have been playing off and on for 35 years. Started playing more and taking it a little more seriously the last 6-7 years. Just started keeping track of my handicap this year. Currently 14

Spending time with friends and hitting enough of those good shots that makes you keep coming back

A lot of great info

Newburgh in southern Indiana. Play most of my rounds at Quail Crossing in Boonville, IN

Driver- Mizuno STZ 230

5w- Taylor Made Stealth

5-GW- Mizuno JPX 923 Forged

Wedges- Cleveland

Putter- Odyssey

Handicap- 14

Probably since I was 7, around 31 years ago. The apps tell me I'm currently a 16.6.

Nature, problem solving, and the quest for the perfect shot.

Great information that doesn't try to make decisions for you.

Live in north burbs of Chicago. Hop around about 3-5 munis up here.

Best things are having plenty of courses nearby and all the bent grass fairways. Worst thing is the long winters.

Consulting

I've used it elsewhere and it was available

Driver:  :PXG: 9*  0811X Gen 4

3 Wood:  :PXG: 15* 0341X Gen 4

4H::callaway-small: Apex

Irons: 5-GW :mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal

Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 4.0 52*, :vokey-small: SM8 56*, SM5 60*

Putter:  :odyssey-small: DFX 7 34" or image.png.77a3cc84e56b1ac1b065e0f5548bbd2b.png White Hot #1 33.5"

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft XLS

:Arccos:

Since I was 10 (24 years) / 0.1 HDCP currently (lowest handy ever is + 3)

The Challenge, that when you think you have it close to figured out, something changes and makes you feel like you are back on square 1.

Information always seems very unbiased and useful.

Belleville, IL (By St Louis) The Orchards Golf Club

The best thing is the number of courses, a lot of courses within an hour of home. The worse thing is that the prices just keep going higher and higher.

Teacher

Email and favorite number.

Titleist woods and wedges

Mizzy Irons

Toulon Vegas Putter

Been playing since I was about 8 or so (I'm 38 now) so 30 yea-holy hell is that possible? How am I not a better golfer? 
I typically play to about a 8-10 hcp now, usually shooting in the high 70s-low 80s. Just really getting back into golf after not playing much for a few years. 

The constant challenge of being better than the last shot/round/year/etc. And I am a gear nut. 

The honest, data-driven, scientific approach to reviews/gear/making us all better golfers. Don't know any Spies but I am sure there are a few that are in my area.

Originally from SE Ohio, now live in the Cleveland, OH suburbs. Home courses are Gleneagles GC, Boulder Creek GC, and Sleepy Hollow GC (my favorite I've played in the area.

Best- LOTS of beautiful courses, both challenging & accessible, and all (mostly) pretty affordable courses. It's really underrated, tbh.

Worst- Weather. Golf season is short, can be humid, and those early morning rounds in the spring/fall can be CHILLY.

Quality Control scientist at an award-winning craft brewery in Cleveland. I've definitely had worse jobs.

Beer Nye the Beer Science Guy

Looking forward to contributing to this place when I can. Cheers, everyone!

I’d buy that for a dollar!

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 @9 deg- MC Tensei AV Raw White 65 X-Stiff 

3 wood: Titleist TSR3 15deg @ 15.75deg, Graphite Design DI-7 S flex

Hybrid: Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Workshop Edition 2H 18 degree

Irons: Titleist 710 CB irons (4-P), Dynamic Gold S300, stock loft/lie

Wedges: Cleveland CG 15 50 degree, Wilson Staff TW9 54 degree, Titleist SM9 60 degree

Putter: Evnroll Er1V putter, short slant neck 33"

Ball: -Pro V1x

30 minutes ago, BeerNye said:

Been playing since I was about 8 or so (I'm 38 now) so 30 yea-holy hell is that possible? How am I not a better golfer? 
I typically play to about a 8-10 hcp now, usually shooting in the high 70s-low 80s. Just really getting back into golf after not playing much for a few years. 

The constant challenge of being better than the last shot/round/year/etc. And I am a gear nut. 

The honest, data-driven, scientific approach to reviews/gear/making us all better golfers. Don't know any Spies but I am sure there are a few that are in my area.

Originally from SE Ohio, now live in the Cleveland, OH suburbs. Home courses are Gleneagles GC, Boulder Creek GC, and Sleepy Hollow GC (my favorite I've played in the area.

Best- LOTS of beautiful courses, both challenging & accessible, and all (mostly) pretty affordable courses. It's really underrated, tbh.

Worst- Weather. Golf season is short, can be humid, and those early morning rounds in the spring/fall can be CHILLY.

Quality Control scientist at an award-winning craft brewery in Cleveland. I've definitely had worse jobs.

Beer Nye the Beer Science Guy

Looking forward to contributing to this place when I can. Cheers, everyone!

Welcome! Always glad to have more Ohio spies. 

WITB:

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

8 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Welcome! Always glad to have more Ohio spies. 

Cheers! Here's hoping the weather warms up enough to get out soon!

I’d buy that for a dollar!

Driver: Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 @9 deg- MC Tensei AV Raw White 65 X-Stiff 

3 wood: Titleist TSR3 15deg @ 15.75deg, Graphite Design DI-7 S flex

Hybrid: Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Workshop Edition 2H 18 degree

Irons: Titleist 710 CB irons (4-P), Dynamic Gold S300, stock loft/lie

Wedges: Cleveland CG 15 50 degree, Wilson Staff TW9 54 degree, Titleist SM9 60 degree

Putter: Evnroll Er1V putter, short slant neck 33"

Ball: -Pro V1x

1 minute ago, BeerNye said:

Cheers! Here's hoping the weather warms up enough to get out soon!

My dreams lately consist of days on the course, where the temps are well above 50 degrees and there isn’t an ever present 20mph wind to negotiate. 

Early season golf in Ohio is not for the timid or faint of heart

WITB:

On 2/11/2019 at 4:27 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

MGS New Member Introduction: Midwest Region

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

2. What do you love about golf?

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. How’d you pick your user name?

Having troubles posting here… says my message is spam??

IMG_1932.jpeg

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

How long have you been playing golf?
I have been playing golf on and off for about 30 years! I picked up my first golf club when I was two years old and it has been my serenity ever since!

This year will be my first year actually getting a handicap! I never really thought about getting one. My average score ranges between about 90-110, depends on beer consumption!

Golf saved my life! Without going too deep, I had a rough “home” life as a kid. Separated parents drug addicted mother, abusive step father, changing schools, roaming the streets! The whole nine yards! Wasn’t until I stumbled onto a golf course that I was truly happy. Now I’m in a great place with a great family! But golf still just makes me feel great.

I follow on Instagram and twitter and never really thought about a forum! Would love to be a tester, and actually what I would like to do as a little side hobby is test and review golf gear!

I’m born in raised in Milwaukee Wisconsin! And it is hard to say what course is my home course MKE golf is such a great spot that I play all the course all the time (weather permitting)

The best thing about golf here is definitely experiencing seasonal golf! Playing on spring with flowers, Warm summer days at Grant Park GC on Lake Michigan. Fall ball for sure. And even some snow golf! The worst part is sometimes the course is full due to awesomeness!

I am a loving Father/Husband first and foremost! Currently I’m a butcher at a local meat market!

Well I have loved Norse Mythology ever since the was a young child, reading the stories of the gods and goddesses took me to a whole new place! I believe in the practice of the Ásatrú. (Odin) I play alot of video games and I’m fairly accurate with my irons. (Snipes) And well area code. (414)

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip

Hello! I am a new member to the forum coming from Chicago and have been playing golf for about 11 years now. I have a fairly high swing speed and play to a 8 handicap. My lowest ever score is +1 (73) and hope to break par someday. Excited to engage with the community!

Callaway, Great Big Bertha 9, Fujikura Speeder 665 Evolution II  

TaylorMade, Stealth 15, Fujikura Ventus FW 6-X 

TaylorMade, SLDR S Rescue 19, Fujikura Speeder 72h

Sub 70 4i 699-U Pro 22, Even Flow Riptide 6.5-X 80g HY

Sub 70 659-CB 5-PW, Project X 6.5

Titleist SM8 52, Project X 6.5

Titleist SM6 56, True Temper Dynamic Gold

TaylorMade Full Face Hi-Toe 60, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

Odyssey White Hot RX 2

Ball: Kirkland Signature 

Hello to all and thanks for having me.

1. How long have you been playing golf? 38 years What’s your handicap or normal score? 17

2. What do you love about golf? Early morning sunrise.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Great information Do you already know any other Spies? No

4. Where are you from? Minnesota

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best - indoor sims for winter play. Worst - short summer, long winter.

6. How’d you pick your user name? I like sharks so Chum wasn't a stretch. 😁

Above average on most scales. Enjoying the journey. Hacking it up daily.

Taylormade M2 - D, 3W, 5W

Titleist 910H - 24 degree

Acer X-D-S Step Cavity Irons (24 years vintage)

Titleist Vokey BV 56-11

Warroir - 64 degree

Callaway Hawkeye VFT Sandwedge

Odyssey XDF 2 ball putter

MGS New Member Introduction: Midwest Region

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia

Welcome to the MyGolfSpy forums! We’re always glad to have new members contributing to the best golf discussions on the internet.  If you’ve already created an introduction thread, feel free to re-introduce yourself here!

If you haven’t yet done so, take a moment to check out the Moral Codes that shape how we treat each other here.

You’ll find that this community is very welcoming to newcomers so come on in, take off your shoes, and get comfortable. Tell us all about yourself. To help us get to know you, here are some questions you might answer in your new member post. Feel free to share some fun pictures of your golfing ventures as well!

How long have you been playing golf?
 I’m 41 and have been playing golf since I was 12 years old. My first real set of clubs my dad got me were a set of Spaulding Tour Editions 92 model I believe and they were not very forgiving lol. There also was/is a small logo that I always thought was the BIC pen guy but turned upside down it’s a bird holding a ball 🤦‍♂️.

My handicap when I last had one was a 15 but life and 4 kids slowed my golfing waaaay down. However, 2 of my boys are getting into the game and we picked up a membership at a little local course that I used to go to with my dad when I was younger so hopefully I can get lower than 15 this year!

For me it was a way to spend time with my mom growing up. It was just me and her out playing joking and having fun. As I got older I started doing my own thing and playing with friends, but she had a women’s Ti Bubble 2, still does actually, that she let me hit and learn to shape shots with and I really treasure those memories hoping my boys feel that way someday!

i kept seeing the twitter posts popping up in my feed and figured I’d check out the site and forums. You all have been great and super welcoming. I appreciate the advice I have received regarding a recent knee issue and am starting to dive further into the forums to find all the things about all the stuff!

I am from the great state of Ohio! Left for a bit with the Coast Guard but back living in the zip code I started life in! Home course is now the Lyons Den Golf Course. They have a very reasonable membership and 8th grade and under golf free with adult member. It’s a shorter course but I am very happy there for now. 

The weather mostly is what bothers me lol. In Northeast Ohio we could see 75 one day and 30 the next. It’s that early year fight with the weather to get out in the course that is really the biggest pain! Best is once we get the weather the vast multitude of super nice course to play! Cleveland Metropark has some real gems! 

I work in the telecommunications construction industry. Formerly an employee of the Death Star, if you know you know, now working for one of the contractors I dealt with while at the old place. I like it I get to be outside and see/help fiber optic builds come into being and that stuff is pretty cool

User name is a mashup of my initials and my old football number. And sadly my target score lol. 

My bag makeup has been heavily influenced by clubs from my youth. Mostly Cobra at this point but I am starting to test other items that may be added next season. 

Driver- I picked up a Radspeed XB late last season and it replaced the first edition Nike Machspeed square. When I hit that Nike it felt like it went a mile but I wanted something a bit newer and having been a Cobra homer most of my life I happened across a great deal on the XB and grabbed it up! I have it in the 9* but play it at 10.5 currently with the HZDUS Blue stiff shaft and I like it okay. Considering the Mini Burner as a replacement. 

Fairways- I have played a Cobra F-Speed 5 wood since it came out. I can hit the crap out of it off the tee. Last trackman session at BigShots in Akron I was consistent at 245 total. I picked up the 3 wood to match for $10 last month and at a range near work (no trackman boo) loved the ball flight I was getting and can draw it as easily as the 5 wood. I don’t know if it’s the club heads the Aldila NV green shaft or something in my head but this line has always just worked for me. 

Hybrid-

I had scored a nice discount on a Cobra Utility 3 iron but for the life of me couldn’t reliably find the middle of the face. Happened to be in the local Golf Galaxy and stumbled across a TaylorMade M3 4 hybrid and after about 10 shots in the bay went home grabbed the Cobra and traded it in. I loved the movable sole weight in the bottom of the M3. I have it set to mid draw bias and can’t say enough good things about it!

Irons- after many hours researching a newer set of irons that were a few models old I replaced my Callaway X-20’s with a set of Cobra Radspeed irons 5-GW (seeing a theme yet) I like how they have a stronger loft and are forgiving without looking like the T-Rails. I can’t get my eyes to accept the look of the T-Rail just yet. This I my 3rd set of Cobras having previously had X/H 3400’s and my favorite of all time the King Cobra 2 Oversize. I have been in love with this brand since the first time I snuck my dad KC2’s out of the house at 14. 

Wedges- Wife’s older brother who’s close to scratch gave me a 60* Vokey spin milled years ago and I have been hooked ever since. Currently playing a 56 and 60 but as I don’t hit the 60’s as far anymore I’m thinking of upgrading to a 54 and 58. 

Putter- I had been an Odyssey guy for the last almost 20 years. Had a 2-Ball White Steel in the bag from release until last year. Replaced it last year with a Stroke Lab R-Ball that I liked ok. My wife while out getting pics for our 11 y/o’s birthday decided to surprise me with the other option from the fitting that produced the R-Ball and I no have a Phantom X 7.5 in the bag. The R-Ball was on sale and considerably less than the Scotty, but the Scotty’s feel is amazing and it will probably be in the bag as long if not longer than the 2-Ball was, or until one of my boys hijack it😂

That is me and my bag in a nutshell if you would like to know more hit me up!

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

Hey everyone, found this so figured I’d play along. 

How long have you been playing golf? Played a bit in 08-09 then took a few years off and now I’ve played a lot since 2017-18 until now

What’s your handicap or normal score? Establishing my formal HCP and only have four scores in GHIN so it’s got me at a +1.3… that’ll be coming up closer to a 3 I’d think but goal is to be scratch by end of season. Usually shoot 74-76 bad day is a 79 

What do you love about golf? The constant pursuit of being better each time you go out. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Always tinkering to find incremental gains and in the pursuit of knowledge found MGS…. Not that I know of. 

Where are you from? What is your home course? From Bay City Michigan, home course is the Saginaw Valley Public Course. Can find me there most days on Lunch or after work. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is summer golf and so many decent public courses close. Worst is the winters… 

What do you do for a living? Formerly a healthcare Exec in a C suite role. Liked it, but the pandemic took its toll and I got burned out. Transitioned to enterprise SaaS sales director role and loving the change at the moment. 

How’d you pick your user name? I’m not that creative 

ETA… WITB: Irons - Mizuno JPX 921 tour with DGs300 shafts 

Driver- TSi3 - Hzrdus yellow 6.0 at 44.5” 

Wedges - SM8 50/56/60 

3w - Cobra rad speed big tour Hzrdus blue 

2i - Mizuno MP20 HMB 

Putter - L.A.B. Link.1 and a benched Scotty Phantom 5 with a BGT shaft. 

Edited by brivard

Been playing for about 15 years. I tracked my index for the first time last year and finished at a 15. Usually shoot in the low 90s with a couple occasional high 80s scores, playing on courses at around 6500 yards. 

I enjoy being outdoors and how humbling this game can be. Pros make it look so easy, but the first time you pick up a club and try to hit, you realize just how difficult it is. I love the feeling of flushing an iron, hitting an approach close, and the click of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup. 

I was looking for a good review on some clubs and came across this forum. I don't know any other spies at the moment. 

I am from the Chicago area and currently play The Preserve @ Oak Meadows the most during the season. But I jump around to many of the courses through the Chicago suburbs. 

The best is how easy it seems for courses to grow and recover the grass. The worst is how short the golf season is. April - October but the first and last months are iffy at best and you can have some seriously cold rounds. 

I manage a small lab for a printing company in the area. 

Its a combo of my first and last name. 

Fore, right!

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone. I've lurked on the forums for a bit now and figured now is a good a time as any to say hello!

-I've been playing off and on for about 10 years (talking like maybe playing 10 real times in that period). This year I'm finally taking it seriously and now have a tee time every Sunday with some friends and getting an established handicap. Currently sitting at 29.1, but hoping the consistent play this year will drop that down quickly!

-There are 2 things I love about golf. 1 is being able to walk in some of the best landscapes IL has to offer. I know that's now saying much given how flat the Midwest is, but getting to spend a few hours walking around with a few buddies chasing that feeling of a perfectly struck ball is a great way to spend a morning. 2 is the mental aspect of the game. As a former D3 college athlete, having a sports outlet like this scratches that competitive itch, all while making me want to get better at this maddingly simple yet oh so hard game.

-NW Chicago Suburbs, Home Course is Countryside Golf Club in Mundelein

-Best things: Chicagoland area has access to some of the best courses in the country, both locally and within a few hours drive. Worst thing- Short season, those winters come fast and linger around here.

-Marketing and Customer research for an Industrial Supply Company

-Koogs was my nickname given to me by several of my teammates in college football and rugby. The name stuck like glue, so it makes for an easy handle on my social platforms!

WITB

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth Plus 10.5, HZRDS Smoke Red Stiff

3w- Callaway FT-Iz

4h- Adams Ideatech V3

Irons- Cobra Aerojet 5-PW, KBS $-Taper Stiff 120 

SW- Cleveland RTX 3 56 deg

LW- Vokey SM4 58 deg

P- Odyssey White Hot Pro 1 Blade

Ball- Srixon Z-Star XV

5 hours ago, koogs said:

Evening everyone. I've lurked on the forums for a bit now and figured now is a good a time as any to say hello!

-I've been playing off and on for about 10 years (talking like maybe playing 10 real times in that period). This year I'm finally taking it seriously and now have a tee time every Sunday with some friends and getting an established handicap. Currently sitting at 29.1, but hoping the consistent play this year will drop that down quickly!

-There are 2 things I love about golf. 1 is being able to walk in some of the best landscapes IL has to offer. I know that's now saying much given how flat the Midwest is, but getting to spend a few hours walking around with a few buddies chasing that feeling of a perfectly struck ball is a great way to spend a morning. 2 is the mental aspect of the game. As a former D3 college athlete, having a sports outlet like this scratches that competitive itch, all while making me want to get better at this maddingly simple yet oh so hard game.

-NW Chicago Suburbs, Home Course is Countryside Golf Club in Mundelein

-Best things: Chicagoland area has access to some of the best courses in the country, both locally and within a few hours drive. Worst thing- Short season, those winters come fast and linger around here.

-Marketing and Customer research for an Industrial Supply Company

-Koogs was my nickname given to me by several of my teammates in college football and rugby. The name stuck like glue, so it makes for an easy handle on my social platforms!

You are now the second Koogs Ik unless you are into Pokémon and sports cards.

Been playing since I was a kid (probably 5 years old or so I think 🤔). Current handicap sits at about 16. Typically play about bogey golf.

Love being outside and the ability to play a sport that is challenging long after I will be able to do other sports. Enjoy getting out with friends

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Reviews, tips, advice/ideas. Interested in testing. Don’t know any other spies

I’m from wisconsin and live in the fox valley area. Home courses (given they are both like 5 minutes from me) are Chaska and Winagamie

We have a lot of courses to play in our area with a wide range of prices which is awesome. Only issue is the shorter season with snow and cold.

Clinical Pharmacist

Favorite color

Edited by Mr Orange
Adding bold lines