txgolfjunkie

MGS Golf Ball Test

Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

• Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

11 hours ago, TSauer said:

I think it’d be interesting if they released a poll before they released the results, just to have everyone vote and see what they think the winner will be. emoji848.png

Done. Poll added to this thread. 

• Like 5

... Hard to believe Titleist won't come out on top. It is the companies cash cow and they do everything they can to make sure the ProV1/X are as good as they an be. Although I expect Taylor Made, Srixon and Bridgestone to be very close. Guys on tour just aren't gonna play an inconsistent ball. I have never been a fan of modern soft balls like Chrome Soft or Duo Urethane as they were shorter than TP5x for me. Intriguing will be the Maxfli Tour/X with their Gravity Balance Technology supposedly producing "reduced side spin and optimal ball flight".  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mooremikea said:

I can't wait to see the results.  Unfortunately my purchase of 4 dozen TP5X balls a few weeks ago could end up being a bad idea.  haha.  

... Me too! But I doubt very seriously it will be a bad idea. Not that our clubbed speed has anything to do with PGA Tour players but Rory switching from defunct Nike to TM specifically so he could play the TP5x says a lot about the ball. I still have a dozen of last years buy 3 get one free TP5X and now 4 dozen of the 2019 TP5x and 2 dozen Maxfli Tour X. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

. I have never been a fan of modern soft balls like Chrome Soft or Duo Urethane as they were shorter than TP5x for me.

The more I play, the more I like the feel of compressing a firmer ball.  Strangely.  Before I get Top Flite XL comments (those are impossible to compress)  Ex: Q-star instead of a Srixon Softfeel, or X variants of tour balls

1 hour ago, newballcoach said:

the best single chrome soft ball ever produced

I would end up sending that one to Davy Jones locker twice as quickly as I would the most lopsided Frankenstein chrome soft

I hope they also test the durability of the balls. I played a new TM Project A Yellow Urethane ball. After 18 holes there were a couple of places where the yellow had worn off. FYI the cover was intact - just looked like scuff marks. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Done. Poll added to this thread. 

You deserve a raise after some of those options on the poll! 😂😂🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

I have never been a fan of modern soft balls like Chrome Soft or Duo Urethane as they were shorter than TP5x for me.  

interesting- I was the opposite. TP5x was shorter and felt very hard, so much so I changed it during the round to a Prov1 which felt like putty compared to the TP5x

I'm hoping the sound and feel is featured as well as tech stats, particularly the Driver sound and putter sound for each ball.

As for the Poll question, I think it all depends on what is looked at in the testing. I did see a Twitter post from MGS about how a Soft ball DOES NOT = Speed

• Like 1

Although ball speed is king when it comes to distance, dimple pattern also matters. Drag forces are related to the square of the speed, so a higher speed ball will have more drag than a lower speed ball (easiest example is twice the speed results in 4 times the drag). It's conceivable that a slower ball could go farther if the dimple pattern allowed the ball to move more efficiently through the air.

Just for kicks, I would like to see a test where the robot were adjusted to give a soft and hard ball the same launch conditions (angle, speed, and spin, if possible) and see what happens. Any differences in total distance should be related to dimple pattern. Maybe the easiest way would be launch them out of an air cannon, but then the spin may be harder to control.

6 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'm hoping the sound and feel is featured as well as tech stats, particularly the Driver sound and putter sound for each ball.

I don't think there was anything involved other than the robot, but I'm sure there aren't many of us who know what is going down, and those who do, aren't gonna say anything 😎

Like @chisag said, I can't imagine Titleist not making a very strong showing, but I don't think it's going to win Most Wanted. For me, the TP5x has performed wonderfully, and I'm going to continue to play it for the rest of the year. It seems counter-intuitive in my mind for me to play an X ball when dudes with so much more power than I have are playing the regular TP5 on tour, but my eyes love how much higher these seem to go for me. The best part is that it doesn't FEEL hard. Off of the iron face it's as soft feeling as a Chromesoft IMO, but it doesn't feel like a marshmallow at the same time. I hope they bring back MyNumber for the TP5 line so I can order all #33 next go around.

I'm still going to try the Most Wanted ball, unless it's something I already gave a thorough testing to.

• Like 2

I think the findings are going to have to present a VERY compelling case to cause me to change balls.  I really like the way the TP5X performs, as well as how the Snell Black performs.  Both seem to suit my game well.  Snell fits my wallet better.  🙂

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think I will go out and buy the Most Wanted ball. We know from all the other tests that the winner isn't the best ball for all, just for most. MGS will always encourage you to test and get fit rather then follow their advice blindly. I'm really more interested in who does poorly then who does well (maybe it means I'm an *******). If I'm not playing the "best" ball but I like it, I'm good with that. If I'm playing a ball proven to be poor, well that would push me more.

• Like 4

I also imagine any ball going to tour players is not treated the same as ones headed for packaging. I would imagine they are testing them and only sending the best of the best to their pros. Unless they have really tight QC tolerances, but I can't imagine Phil Mickelson getting a lemon and me getting the best single chrome soft ball ever produced. Whether or not that's ethical or even whether we should be okay with that is another matter.

Sam Burns on Tour is from N Louisiana, and in speaking with his buddies, there isn’t anything those guys play that is the same as what we play. The balls they play are specifically fitted to them, not just clubs, and one of my former players went through that process at Titleist. The companies can say all they want that we play what pros play, but when one has connections on the Tour, it’s obvious it’s not always true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Seems to me the better test would have been to pit the Z-Star XV vs the Pro V1X?

They weren’t testing balls vs each other, they just happened to notice a loss of distance one day. A five yard difference across any selection of “top-tier” balls is too significant of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 hours ago, newballcoach said:

I don't necessarily think I will go out and buy the Most Wanted ball. We know from all the other tests that the winner isn't the best ball for all, just for most. MGS will always encourage you to test and get fit rather then follow their advice blindly. I'm really more interested in who does poorly then who does well (maybe it means I'm an *******). If I'm not playing the "best" ball but I like it, I'm good with that. If I'm playing a ball proven to be poor, well that would push me more.

I don't plan on buying the most wanted ball. However, the company or the ball that is most consistent - say compression will influence my decision. 

• Like 3

Like others have mentioned, I don't see myself stocking up on the so-called winner, but I'll most likely take the top three into consideration. I hope they're balls that I've already been playing 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

They weren’t testing balls vs each other, they just happened to notice a loss of distance one day. A five yard difference across any selection of “top-tier” balls is too significant of a difference.

... I am not surprised. Compression makes a big difference at different clubbed speeds. Matt has a 120+ clubbed speed and I can see where a Z Star travels shorter than a Z Star XV. At around 100mph swing speed I found the exact opposite and the lower compression Z Star was longer than the XV. I imagine someone swinging 85 mph may find an even lower compression ball might travel farther than a Z Star. So again the mantra of "get fitted" definitely applies to golf balls. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am not surprised. Compression makes a big difference at different clubbed speeds. Matt has a 120+ clubbed speed and I can see where a Z Star travels shorter than a Z Star XV. At around 100mph swing speed I found the exact opposite and the lower compression Z Star was longer than the XV. I imagine someone swinging 85 mph may find an even lower compression ball might travel farther than a Z Star. So again the mantra of "get fitted" definitely applies to golf balls. 

Dean Snell has said that compression really doesn't make a difference at the low end of the spectrum. I haven't seen any data that refutes him.

That being said a low compression ball will spin less than a high compression ball, all things being equal. And knocking off spin will also usually add to distance. Of course things aren't always equal with golf balls. You can make a firmer ball that spins less.

• Like 1