Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Not Average Size

Just a question for the group. I am 6’8” with large hands. My clubs are 1” long, 1* upright with Jumbo+2 grips and stiff shafts. My problem is that trying new tech/clubs is difficult because stock and most fitting options do not have grip and/or lie options. Maybe some length options. When I need new equipment, I spring for full van fitting with those options, but many times would just like to see. I am sure there are a lot of NAS(Not Average Size) players are on here. Taller, shorter, injured, aging, large hands, small hands. What do you find, and how do you adapt?

“Golf does not build character, it reveals it”

• Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Diamana D+ 60 stiff
  • Fairway: Titleist 913F Diamana D+82 stiff
  • Hybrid: Titleist 913H Diamana D+92 stiff
  • Irons: Titleist AP1 714 Aerotech i95 stiff
  • Wedges: Volkey SM5 50*55*60* True Temper S300
  • Putter: Tour X
  • Ball: Snell MTB
  • 4 months later...

Steve if I were you, I think I would blow off the grips and add extenders. It would cost almost nothing and give you a good idea of where you're at. Also with your large hands you might want to add an extra layer or two of tape  to see if you like the feel. At 6'8" and at 6.5 I don't to  meet you at the course...…………...unless you're buying the beer.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, LVSteve said:

Just a question for the group. I am 6’8” with large hands. My clubs are 1” long, 1* upright with Jumbo+2 grips and stiff shafts. My problem is that trying new tech/clubs is difficult because stock and most fitting options do not have grip and/or lie options. Maybe some length options. When I need new equipment, I spring for full van fitting with those options, but many times would just like to see. I am sure there are a lot of NAS(Not Average Size) players are on here. Taller, shorter, injured, aging, large hands, small hands. What do you find, and how do you adapt?

Suggest speaking with True Spec.  Based on some recent threads about this company, and the crazy amount of shafts and club heads they have available, if anyone can help the tail ends of the bell curve they can.  Good luck.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

As a matter of fact my fitter in Boston was telling about his roommate - he's a former college basketball player and his clubs were completely the wrong fit.  Way too long....just because someone is tall doesn't mean they necessarily need super long clubs.  Once he was fit properly he was hitting the ball straighter and longer.

Fitting is great and it matters...but in my opinion it is even more critical for folks who don't fit into the median.  Those golfers who are either tall or short tend to benefit the most from it.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I am 6’2 with large, long hands and use Lamkin Crossline jumbo grips with 4 extra wraps.  When I try clubs with regular grips they are like toothpicks and I end up strangling the club when I swing.  Not ideal, I tend to use my arms and come over the top when I grip too tight.

Length for clubs is not a problem since I have longer arms than normal for my height. 

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

On 11/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

As a matter of fact my fitter in Boston was telling about his roommate - he's a former college basketball player and his clubs were completely the wrong fit.  Way too long....just because someone is tall doesn't mean they necessarily need super long clubs.  Once he was fit properly he was hitting the ball straighter and longer.

Fitting is great and it matters...but in my opinion it is even more critical for folks who don't fit into the median.  Those golfers who are either tall or short tend to benefit the most from it.

The iron length and lie thing was seen by @Golfspy_CG2 fitting at tpi who also happens to be a tall guy

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1