GolfSpy MPR

MGS Forum Review Testimonials

Our Sponsors

2 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I’d love to see a format that brings the bottom line up front in a singular paragraph easily understood in a single reading. Obviously the supporting information and testing would follow but it’s nice to get the meat and potatoes without trying to digest a 2000 plus word meal

Well said. I don't read that many reviews top to bottom as they drag out too long for my taste. Personally I'd prefer the testers receive the equipment (scrap the silly unboxing) and after a few weeks post their photos and results. All at once. I'd also just have 3 people participate. A low, mid, and high Hcp'r.

• Like 5

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

As a reader I've gained insight on equipment as it pertains to people like me (handicap, distances, age  etc).  These reviews in conjunction with MGS staff tests and reviews directly affected my choice for a new driver and new balls.  As I consider other equipment, I always check the member reviews if they're out.  

As a reviewer, I learned a bit about the effort and commitment to yay or nay a product.  By the close of the reviews I had pretty much forgotten any branding influence or opinion and was focused solely on data and results.  Reviewers also get some insight into the scope of the efforts MGS goes to to bring these reviews to fruition.  It is truly an incredibly huge mountain to climb.  

I would wish to see these reviews expedited somehow.  The consumer needs these results months prior, if they're considering new product, the member reviews often follow six months past when products hit shelves.  How do we do it sooner?

I think the review teams can be matched to hypothetical products, perhaps before the product is even available.  We all know Ping will come out with a G420, G500, or H driver or something.  Taylormade probably has M10 prototypes already.  We can pick reviewers for such things so that they can have product in hand for review weeks, rather than months, after release.  I understand a lot of that relies on if/when a company donates, sells, or makes available x sets of product to MGS.  Just my $.02

🙂

• Like 3

:ping-small:       G400 Max. Project X Evenflow Blue 6.5s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s

:cobra-small:  AMP 3h 19deg.  Aldila RIP 70 R

:mizuno-small:         JPX 825 Pro forged 4-50deg GW.  TT Dynalite Gold R300

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

Putter:            Walter Hagen MS-2 with a nice Wynn grip.   

:Arccos:  Caddie for tracking.     

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-X / RX balls

Right handed

New Jersey, USA

Handicap: 16

Tested Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips

Tested Lynx Black Cat 5-PW  🙂

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Also we do over 20 forum testings a year.  They have to spread out. Can you imagine us trying to conduct 20 testings all in a month to two month timeframe.   We as staff all have other full time job responsibilities and even the thought of trying to select testers for 3 to 4 testings a week is well....😳😳😳😱😱😱

Now all my excuses aside.  I am working With one OEM on something very unique and very much what you are asking for. Stay tuned,  If it pans out like I think it will, it'll be really really neat. 

Oh believe me I get it.  And I realize the insane efforts you all put in.  I'm just brainstorming really.  Nothing but ❤❤❤.  Can't wait to see what you're working on.  

• Like 3

:ping-small:       G400 Max. Project X Evenflow Blue 6.5s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s

:cobra-small:  AMP 3h 19deg.  Aldila RIP 70 R

:mizuno-small:         JPX 825 Pro forged 4-50deg GW.  TT Dynalite Gold R300

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

Putter:            Walter Hagen MS-2 with a nice Wynn grip.   

:Arccos:  Caddie for tracking.     

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-X / RX balls

Right handed

New Jersey, USA

Handicap: 16

Tested Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips

Tested Lynx Black Cat 5-PW  🙂

This is a fantastic opportunity for the MGS community. Getting the opportunity to test equipment you have been wondering about, allows you to see if it lives up to the hype without spending the $ up front. You get the benefit of helping fellow golfers spend their money wisely. Whether on a great product you were excited to try, or one that was overhyped. Being lucky enough to be chosen in 2018 and 2019 for reviews, I have enjoyed the process of beating the equipment up and giving honest, unbiased opinions.

• Like 2

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

As someone who also has participated in Multiple reviews, and Follow along on most (not all). I think collectively we do an amazing job of being open, honest and most of all transparent in our assessment of products. I agree IF we could get mostly clubs and balls before release or at the very least as soon as announced than our opinions and concerns would be more helpful and useful to all looking to spend their hard earned money and these days a lot of it..

I also agree that some of the reviews tend to get long winded (mine included). As a tester I want to get as much information out as possible to allow my review to be useful, yet sometimes we get carried away trying to get too much info, including fluff.. Possibly Streamline the template for reviews to help keep it to just the facts and have specific points to include with less subjectivity.. Yet have an area for subjective responses.. If your a 5 hndcp you probably want/need different thoughts then a 18 hndcp and vice versa.

Just my thoughts..  

• Like 6

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Haven't had the privilege to be selected to test myself but have read 99% of the member reviews.  Knowing clubs are in the hands of golfers like myself, every day hacks, with flashes of greatness once in a blue moon, I know I'm reading an honest, not sugarcoated review.  I only read MGS reviews when doing research on clubs i'm interested in picking up. Can't wait to see what the 2020 season brings to us!

• Like 4

WITB 2020

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 2015 Model - Fubuki shaft

3-Wood: Nike VRs 15 degree

Irons: Nike Slingshot 4-AW

Wedges: Nike Victory Red SW-56 + LW-60

Putter: Nike Method Core MC-3i

....I may have loved/still love Nike and miss them making golf clubs💔

All my drivers have been driver of the year from in here. I don’t think the average joe who doesn’t dwell in here has any idea what they’re missing- and it’s too bad for them. Every topic golf is so well covered from so many angles...

• Like 3

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

The value and learnings I have taken away from these forms and the people who contribute to them is likely unmeasurable. The club tests, the most extensive ball test I would bet anyone has ever done, constant opportunity for members to try and keep new equipment , its been an amazing discovery.

I never understood the value of a proper club fitting , the value of finding the correct shaft, grip, base lining current club vs one your testing.. maybe I was uneducated but I am not any longer.

I was lucky enough to be chosen last year (hopefully again this year) to test the NX9 range finder, and it was a great experience and I was most appreciative of the lists provide on expectations of testing, the standards are high, its just not , here you go , fill your boots, its designed to provide value back to the fellow forum members.

I visit almost daily to see what others have tested, their opinions of them and if it’s something I should also consider , I wont make any wild claims like being 17 yards longer than last year (shot at Taylormade intended) but I know my golf game has improved based on the information shared and discussed on these forms.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75-  

Woods -  Callaway Max 3 wood Evenflow Riptide 5.5r 60g  - loving this off the deck 

Taylormade Sim Max 3 wood - Ventus FW 5-r  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  Sim Max Rescue  4 - 22*   Ventus FW 5-r 

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 5- PW, AW   Project X Catalyst 55g Lite Flex

WEDGES-  Cleveland Golf Smart Sole 4.0 Sand Wedge  58*   Cleveland Smart Sole 4.0 Chipping Wedge 42*

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab double wide putter 35"

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I enjoy reading these posts. Find myself every day checking in and getting into new posts and reviews. Has shown several different pieces of equipment I probably normally would have not considered.

the open discussion is fantastic and have really enjoyed reading the back and forth as well as comradely. Hopefully get to play with a few of you out on the links this year! 

• Like 4

Currently testing for :ping-small: G710 Irons 

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal:

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g

:adams-small: 2H & 4H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ    VS   :ping-small: G710 4-UW Project X 6.5 LZ

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I am still trying to get my coworkers/golf partners to join the site. I constantly tell them about all the reviews, product announcements, and the incredibly interactive forum. What sold me was the diversity of the reviewers. I was tired of being sold on products that were being tested by single digit handicappers (no offense)
I am a struggling 25ish capper, and needed to read reviews from guys like me, and slightly better than me. It's great that Rick Schiels can hit a $49 AmazonPrime driver just as far as he can hit a Taylormade M5. I cannot.

The raw and unbiased interaction of the forum members is a goldmine of experience and knowledge that cannot be manufactured or reproduced at will.

• Like 8

• :cobra-small: King F8 3w
  • :mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3i
  • :nike-small:VR-S Forged 5-PW
  • :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP 56*
  • :wilson_staff_small: Infinite Lake Shore

unbiased reviews from real golfers is pretty much all one can ask for.  It helps one make a decision, spend (or not spend) money, and get some info so one does not have to go it alone in the everlasting pursuit of a birdie

• Like 3

:titelist-small:TS3 9.5 Graphite Design  Tour AD IZ-6

:titelist-small: TS3 15 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6

:titelist-small: TS3 21 degree hybrid set to 20 degree Graphite Design Tour AD

:titelist-small: U500 4 iron Project X 6.0

:taylormade-small: P760 5-P Project X 6.0

:vokey-small: SM 7 52, 56, 60 degree

:cameron-small: Select Newport 2 35 inches

:titelist-small: ProV1X Left Dash