Lacassem

Putting Grip

Our Sponsors

Curious how everyone sets up with their putting grip. Past 2 years i have recently started putting with my pointer finger on the back side of the grip as a stabilizer. Has drastically improved my putting game. 

Any other different styles out there? Any specific things you do when putting (I take 1 practice stroke and go for example). I am a creature of habit on the course but specifically putting. I try to do the same thing every time (its the baseball player in me).

image.jpeg.64cb89a91fffebb6b9ac9391ca88f36e.jpeg

• Like 2

Here's mine. Left hand is very slightly low: the big knuckle of my left thumb fits in just before the same knuckle of my right. I extend both forefingers down the grip; as I way of guarding against the pull (my more common miss), I don't want to let my right forefinger move outside my left.

In my practice this winter, I've started using a rhythm to my putting. I set my putter in the line I want and step in, then start counting in my head:

1. Exhale
  2. Forward press
  3. Backstroke
  4. Impact
  5. Keep looking at the spot where the ball was

Again, I'm not thinking any of those words. I'm just counting, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Hold everything together, gives the swing a repeatable tempo, and that last beat (keep looking at the spot) has a noticable effect in improving my results.

IMG_20200204_151725_2.jpg

• Like 2

That’s a great thought. So important to focus on that spot where e ball is and was. Forces you to really focus on contact. You should have the alignment so hit it! Can’t hit it if you’re eyes aren’t on the ball (there goes that baseball thought process again).

• Like 2

@GolfSpy MPR how does that grip feel overall? I know “loose grip” is a good grip but at first did it feel weak?

• Like 1

It's hard to say; I've been using this grip for a couple of seasons, so I don't have much reference for comparison any more. I don't make a conscious effort to grip the putter loosely; in fact, I think I probably have a bit of tension in my hands. But the grip itself, with my hands so close together, isn't giving me a lot of leverage.

The whole thing (grip and sequence) looks like this:

• Like 2

I do the claw.  I find that it helps me from getting too handsy and flippy.  Id been struggling to start my putts on my intended line lately and I find that the claw helps me to fix that.  Ive tried the pencil grip too but just found it to be uncomfortable.  I like the claw,

• Like 4

Nice topic Mark,

For my grip I use a pistol style grip because I like my top hand feeling full and like to feel like my palm is flat against the side of the grip parallel to the face. Then my bottom hand just sits below that and I haven’t given it much thought really, just what ever is comfortable.

Last year I did change my routine a bit as I felt like I was getting locked up on some longer or tricky reads. I started leaving my bottom hand off until right before I was ready to putt. After visualizing my putt for the last time I’ll place my right hand on the grip and pull quickly after that. Or, if I do have my hand on the grip before that I’ll leave my right thumb up until I’m ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Nice topic Mark,

Bonus points for incorporating toe wiggles into your routine 🙂

• Like 4

Bonus points for incorporating toe wiggles into your routine 

I can’t help it... those are mandatory. I wasn’t sure if anyone was going to pick up on those. Pretty sure you would see them in my videos for the AlignXL testing too. Gotta stay loose!

• Haha 2

Toe wiggles are absolutely mandatory....all facets of the game Bahahaha image.gif.36526cc23f5e4562a4c3692ad8c007d5.gif

• Like 2

Toe wiggles are absolutely mandatory....all facets of the game Bahahaha image.gif.36526cc23f5e4562a4c3692ad8c007d5.gif

Hey! The internet says you should be able to... and if the internet says it, it must be true.

IMG_8518.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Filling this away for mental games this upcoming season: "So before your take the club back, how many times do you wiggle your toes?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been working on my putting a lot this offseason on a mat in my spare bedroom.  I had been using a two thumb type grip (similar to what GolfSpy MPR uses), but switched to something a bit more like a two-finger overlap grip.  While I really like the balance the dual thumbs with fingers down the side provided, I wasn't able to get the forward press I like to use to feel comfortable, which was leading to some face angle issues.

As a sidenote, I've been struggling with an inexplicable tendency to pull my putts to the left the last couple weeks.  Checked that I wasn't putting sidespin on the ball, checked to make sure the ball was getting online... I tried everything.  I tried changing grips, nothing worked - couldn't figure it out.  It dawned on me this morning that it might not be my fault so I checked the floor.  Sure enough, my putting mat was on an uneven part of the floor and apparently reading hardwoods are not my strongpoint.  Moved the mat and magically everything straightened out. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Nice topic Mark,

For my grip I use a pistol style grip because I like my top hand feeling full and like to feel like my palm is flat against the side of the grip parallel to the face. Then my bottom hand just sits below that and I haven’t given it much thought really, just what ever is comfortable.

The grip I've started using is very similar to this. It seems to help me take the right wrist out of things without going left hand low - which has less feel for me - or doing the claw grip - which I just kinda hate personally.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

The grip I've started using is very similar to this. It seems to help me take the right wrist out of things without going left hand low - which has less feel for me - or doing the claw grip - which I just kinda hate personally.

True, I should also mention that I am left handed, I just golf righty, so I do like to feel that stability in my left hand.

I've been working on my putting a lot this offseason on a mat in my spare bedroom.  I had been using a two thumb type grip (similar to what GolfSpy MPR uses), but switched to something a bit more like a two-finger overlap grip.  While I really like the balance the dual thumbs with fingers down the side provided, I wasn't able to get the forward press I like to use to feel comfortable, which was leading to some face angle issues.
As a sidenote, I've been struggling with an inexplicable tendency to pull my putts to the left the last couple weeks.  Checked that I wasn't putting sidespin on the ball, checked to make sure the ball was getting online... I tried everything.  I tried changing grips, nothing worked - couldn't figure it out.  It dawned on me this morning that it might not be my fault so I checked the floor.  Sure enough, my putting mat was on an uneven part of the floor and apparently reading hardwoods are not my strongpoint.  Moved the mat and magically everything straightened out. 

Pretty sure my entire house is on a small slope lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

... Slightly off topic but I just love this video!  By far the biggest mistake I see with poor putters is looking up early and moving their body to do so which causes inconsistent direction and distance. In this video you are rock solid with your stroke and follow through, keeping your eyes on the ball position after it is gone and then what I consider the most important rule of putting,  you rotate your head and eyes to watch the ball rolling but DO NOT move your trunk or shoulders. Of all the mistakes I see in golf, this one is the easiest to correct and the form in this video is perfect and something anyone can easily copy. 👍

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Slightly off topic but I just love this video!  By far the biggest mistake I see with poor putters is looking up early and moving their body to do so which causes inconsistent direction and distance. In this video you are rock solid with your stroke and follow through, keeping your eyes on the ball position after it is gone and then what I consider the most important rule of putting,  you rotate your head and eyes to watch the ball rolling but DO NOT move your trunk or shoulders. Of all the mistakes I see in golf, this one is the easiest to correct and the form in this video is perfect and something anyone can easily copy. 👍

Thanks for the kind words, @chisag. Lots of reading, but lots more trial and error (with feedback) to get to this point. Feeling pretty good about my stroke right now; hoping I feel the same in two months when the snow finally melts here.

• Like 2

I use the grip from Dave Stockton. It's a reverse overlap with fingers spread apart. 

• Like 2