Irons

Hello all I am in the market for some irons.

The ones that are near me us what I'm considering. Wanted to know anyones experience and suggestions. 

Callaway Razr X

NIKE SLINGSHOT HL

Titleist 775 CB

Adams CB2 Forged Irons IDEA 

Thank you in advance 

Hello 2010! I still have my Adam's CB2s they are wonderful clubs. I can't speak to anything else on your list, but the CB2s are great. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Jay412 said:

The ones that are near me us what I'm considering. Wanted to know anyones experience and suggestions. 

Callaway Razr X

NIKE SLINGSHOT HL

Titleist 775 CB

Thank you in advance 

So this is quite the Heinz variety of irons ranging from GI to almost-blade. I guess a few of the question would be: what would best suit your game? what shafts are each set coming with? These are clearly used sets so you just want to make sure you're getting the whole package. Are the lengths all suitable for you? And lastly, can they be bent to suit your loft/lie requirements?

I just picked up a set of RAZR X Muscle backs a couple of weeks ago so that's the only one of these sets that I can vouch for.. and that's assuming you're even talking about the MBs and not the GI versions. As for the RAZR X MB's, I'm absolutely in love with them. They are still somewhat relevant by today's pure MB standards. They look, sound, and feel superb. They are a bigger blade (very slightly) but are definitely blades nonetheless so don't be looking at these hoping for any major forgiveness on off-center hits. I'm around a 7 hdcp and these are a hair above my skill set but I'm hoping to improve into them.. if that makes sense. 

I do have a friend who played the Adams CB2's and those were also really nice. I'd say those are a good entry club into the player's category. I got a chance to hit them and the shape and profile is all terrific. They also feel great. 

The Titleist 775 MBs you probably can't go wrong with but like the Callaway, your game needs to be on point. 

Hopefully that was at all helpful. 

Another great option is component companies. I purchased a set of really sexy looking CB forged irons by a company called ERG through Monark Golf. 5-PW for $100. That said, I build sets for hobby so I have the knowhow and tools. I was able to put together a set with shafts that I had for $130 including new grips. 

My RAZR X MB's

0301221131.jpg.79418892cf09a87e1b866df7680a8db3.jpg

ERG V3'S

0123221334a.jpg.5609fd3ae5a747477f7fb174e7555b07.jpg

0123221336.jpg.1c7147efbe514c7576ed08c2a442c8df.jpg

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

If you can get past the look, I found the Ping G15 to be almost stupid easy to hit. Very forgiving. Now if you can get even a rudimentary fitting to know lie angle and what shaft tends to work for you, that will go long way to getting consistent with the irons. I had a set of Golfworks KE4 irons made for my son by his instructor. He had him swing the Mizuno shaft optimizer. That got us a shaft and lie angle. My son is a new golfer, and when he got these, his iron game jumped. Almost made a hole in one with his first time out. Hard to beat at around $400

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

9 hours ago, Jay412 said:

More context. I am high handicapper. The current set I have is a callaway strata set in a box. I would like something with better technology amd something that is more forgiving

So with this info, I would definitely recommend something in the GI (game improvement) category. 

The last thing you would want to do is get a set of irons that turn you away from the game like blades or CB's. While you might see the pros using  blades, the tech is going to be pretty minimal compared to what goes into GI or SGI irons. 

2 hours ago, Rchang said:

Now if you can get even a rudimentary fitting to know lie angle and what shaft tends to work for you, that will go long way to getting consistent with the irons. I had a set of Golfworks KE4 irons made for my son by his instructor. He had him swing the Mizuno shaft optimizer.

If you're not concerned with a big brand name, Golfworks is a great place to find new clubs that really perform at a fraction of the price and even comparable to the cost of a used set. They are great because they have clubs that suite all levels. 

If budget is a concern, these clubs are outstanding! I just built a set for my dad and he loves them

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-sti2-iron-pak/p/pma0317/

Otherwise you can take a look their other packs if these don't work. 

Another company that I'd recommend to a novice golfer looking to move to the next level is Gigagolf. Their clubs overall are even cheaper but are a bit less refined and not as original as Golfworks/Maltby but they are definitely a step in right direction from where you are now. I played their TRX 1 length quite a few years back and they were really good for me at that time. They even have a fitting chart for length and grip size. 

https://www.gigagolf.com/irons_listing.jsp

The reason I'm recommending these companies is that you get a new set somewhat built for you.. and most importantly (IMO), they open the door for learning about golf clubs the right way. You learn how to research the specs, look at things like loft, lie, length, grip size, shaft weight/ flex, etc. 

Otherwise if you're still looking to buy a used set, I'd just suggest you find out if they've been altered, i.e. cut or are over standard length. Stuff like lie or loft probably won't make much difference right now as you're probably still looking to find your swing. 

Hopefully any of this was helpful. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 hours ago, Jay412 said:

Callaway Razr X

NIKE SLINGSHOT HL

Titleist 775 CB

Thank you in advance 

What is your budget exactly and what do you mean "near you"?  Are these used clubs at your local golf store or something you found on FB marketplace?  

If your budget is high enough, I think there are some really good options out there that might be better than looking at 15 year old clubs that may or may not be the right length/lie/shaft for you.

23 minutes ago, Jay412 said:

I've been looking on ebay, FB marketplace and offerup. Range for a iron set under $250. Just would like something better than my callaway strata golf in the box set

What does something better mean?  Fit your swing better?   Sound better?  Feel better?  Perform better?  Make you happier?   What do you expect to change when you get these new clubs?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

To narrow it down. I was thinking the Nike Slingshot HL or Taylormade 2.0 burner irons. 

As far as better. Better quality, build, forgiveness, distance. To help. I know it's mostly the golfer and not the clubs per se but looking for that small upgrade.

45 minutes ago, Jay412 said:

To narrow it down. I was thinking the Nike Slingshot HL or Taylormade 2.0 burner irons. 

As far as better. Better quality, build, forgiveness, distance. To help. I know it's mostly the golfer and not the clubs per se but looking for that small upgrade.

Sounds like you basically want something a bit newer.   Are there any golf stores near you that sell used equipment?   Essentially there are a lot of options for clubs,  it is just finding something that works for you which is why being able to hit the clubs would be ideal.   Otherwise just look at different models of clubs and look for something in the game improvement category that is in you price ranfpge and you should generally be fine. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Believe it or not, $250 is a pretty healthy budget that could probably get you something in the past 10 years or newer. If you just take your time, you can get find a really nice set that's barely used that suits your needs. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG