Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

3i -> 7W ??

nate.graham13

I would like to remove the 3i out of by bag and replace it with something that would get more use. Not a big hybrid guy but interested in 7W’s.

Has anyone replaced their 3i with a 7W? What pros and cons have you came across.

Do u miss the flat club for punch outs or related low shots?

First time poster, don’t roast me too badly haha.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Nate

I use to play long irons gave up and tried hybrids for awhile.  Since I tend to hook hybrids, I went with a 7 wood that I hit long and straight.  I tried to purchase a 7 wood to match my 3 & 5 woods but was not able to find a new one so I purchased the only 7 wood they had in the store.  Next time I will go 3-5-7 all the same brand.

I use my 3 wood for punch out shots and if the conditions are correct along with my aim, I can punch it up to 150 yards.    

Good luck on your golf journey. 

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

6 hours ago, nate.graham13 said:

I would like to remove the 3i out of by bag and replace it with something that would get more use. Not a big hybrid guy but interested in 7W’s.

Has anyone replaced their 3i with a 7W? What pros and cons have you came across.

Haven't carried a 3 iron in probably 20 years;  longest I carry now is a 6 and then start hybrids.    But your options for 3 are generally fairway wood, hybrid, or utility iron.     Utility will be lowest launching/least spin and FW will be highest/most spin.   It really comes down to distance you need, the flight you want, and what you hit the best.  For low shots/punch outs I can use 6-PW with no issues.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't have a 3i. Play a 7w and it is closer to my 4i carry but also when i step on it can go 20 yards farther. I can also use it to punch out, I can also use my 4w for that as well. Best option is to go get fit and find a fairway or hybrid or DI that fits your needs and gaps. Best of luck 🙂 and welcome to the forum

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

12 hours ago, nate.graham13 said:

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!  We don't know anything about you or your game, so it's difficult to give you advice you might find useful.  All of us have different swing speeds and games; pretty sure I'm on the low end of the speed curve here.  A fitter or a golf store with a launch monitor could help identify what fits your game and provides the best gapping for your clubs.  

After driver I used to have 2H, 4H and 5H then 6i.  I changed my irons last year and along with them, I went with Callaway 3W, Heavenwood, and 9W.  I thought about the 7W, but I needed a little more distance to fill behind my 3W.  The Heavenwood is a strong 7W loft with a 5W shaft.  The FW's fly higher so you will need to determine what carry distance you want to achieve.  Generally, hybrids are easier to hit out of rough, but the rough I play from is wiry but not long and the Heavenwood is quite good out of it.  

EDIT:  Like @cnosil I have no trouble punching out with my Heavenwood or 5i-9i depending on how low I need to keep the ball.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

First off welcome. 

Like others I have not carried a 3 iron in a long time.  The 2 went the way of the dodo when I started playing a course that required a 210 yard drive to a high plateau - enter the 5 wood back in the late 80's, lofts were very different then!  In the later 90's the 3 iron gave way to a 7 wood, then in the mid 2000's that and the 4 iron and 5 iron gave way to hybrids and more recently the hybrids gave way to fairway woods.  I game Ping G 410 7,9 woods and a SVT 4 wood that a friend built for me.  

7 wood is a very nice weapon to have in the arsenal for many players, IMO.  

I hope you stick around and post often.  Best of luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome.I too have given the 2i and 3i the boot about 20 years ago.  I also stopped carrying 4i two years ago. I carry my 19h approximately 210-215  and can hit it high or low.  I carry my 21h approximately 195-200 and only hit that one high.  My punch outs are 5i or hooded 7i.  As everyone else says, fitting is important and generally worth the effort.   Much depends on the types of courses you play; forced carries vs ability to hit it low and run, hard vs soft greens etc.  

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

I use a very forgiving Titleist 2 driving iron.  Don’t own a 7 wood.  I used to game 5W, but it’s now in storage.  With my iron set I have 4 iron which I sometimes put into play.

I know a couple of guys who love their 7W.  But I am not one of those guys…

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

Welcome 

On 7/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, nate.graham13 said:

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! 

posting questions about things that interest us, is why most of us found this place and why most of us stayed. That being said, I haven’t carried or played a 3 iron in a really long time. My current set-up has the following:

3 wood - 13.5*
5 wood - 18*
7 wood or 4 utility iron - 21* 

5 iron - 26*
and so on.

Depending on the course and conditions, I switch back and forth between the 7 wood and the 4 ui.

The utility hits a lower launching draw that will run out nicely and the 7 wood produces a higher launching draw that falls softer than the summer rain. 

I like them both and have considered swapping out my 50* and 54* wedges with a 52* so that I can carry them both. 

Good luck with your search and please let us know which direction you go in. 😁

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

On 7/17/2023 at 8:50 PM, KC Golf said:

I use a very forgiving Titleist 2 driving iron.  Don’t own a 7 wood.  I used to game 5W, but it’s now in storage.  With my iron set I have 4 iron which I sometimes put into play.

I know a couple of guys who love their 7W.  But I am not one of those guys…

I use the same Titleist 2 driving iron Great club very forgiving and has great ball flight do you game the 2i 505 ? My driving iron has a Tour Ad Di 85 stiff hybrid shaft excellent Club.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5

Driver:  Cobra Ltdx Ls Fujikura Ventus TR Black 5S

2iron: Titleist U505 TourAd DI 85 Stiff

4-PW: Cobra King Tec x Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey : 46F Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey: 50F Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey: 54S Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey: 60T Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Added a 7W to the bag a few years ago.  The top of my bag now is Driver, 4 wood, 7 wood, 5 hybrid, 5 iron.

Playing the Tour Edge E723 7 wood now and it is so easy to hit.  It is in the place where my 3 iron would be.

Cobra LTDx 5 hybrid replaced my 4 iron.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Welcome @nate.graham13!

I game:

4 wood (Cobra Aerojet 3 wood lofted up to 16degrees)

6 wood (Cobra Aerojet 5 wood lofted up to 19.5 degrees)

4 iron (ping i210 22.5 degrees)

But everyone’s swing/delivery is different! For some, this gapping would result in clubs that would all carry around the same distance - not ideal, but for me it works! Best to identify what you need the club to do(specific yardage, tee shot only etc) and try everything you can to fit the niche: happy tinkering!

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I was fitted into a Ping G425 Max 7-wood with a 5-wood length shaft a couple of years ago and love it.  It is a very versatile club, working well even out of bad lies.  I have since matched it up with a G425 five wood, turned down 1 degree.    I couldn't be happier with the setup.  Much like @CrazyGolfNut I tended to hook hybrids,  and was never a big fan of long irons.  I've also ditched the three wood which has taken some of the frustration out of my game. 

Give it a shot.  I think you'll be happy with the results.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

I have been evolving differently it seems.   I don't have a 5W instead have a Heavenwood which I have used pretty effectively.  I thought i was starting to get along with a hybrid this year but have had a falling out.  When I upgraded to a new set of Srixon irons, i found great performance from my 5 iron sticking it from 200+ pretty consistently.  I regretted not including a 4i in my set....   the shots I was hitting with the 5i was Clewhat the hybrid was supposed to do so it became pretty useless.   On a whim and after the MGS article on driving irons, i plunged into the Ping iCrossover (3i loft).  I am loving the iCrossover and it has in most ways become more useful than the Heavenwood.  I always thought I was missing a club in this area and maybe I still do feel that way but I don't know if I am thinking about it correctly.   The 5i has become money at 200 and the iCrossover is shaping up similarly out there at 225 or so.  That is where the Heavenwood was.   

My dilemma has always been that 190-225 and I would try to use the Heavenwood all through that range (Hybrid played left no matter how hard I tried and my 5 iron wasn't  as consistent as the Srixon 5i is now).  I was starting to think about a 5 wood to match my TSr 3W and I suspect it would be a bit longer than the iCrossover, but probably not massively.  The 3W is 250 off the tee and I am a little skittish with it off the deck and won't consider it with an imperfect lie---that is where I would typically go Heavenwood, but now i am thinking 5 wood....   OR  ....my other thought was during up the other side by dropping the additional fairway wood altogether and instead getting a 4 iron to match my iron set.  I likely would be 210-215 with it and perhaps a loft adjustment on the iCrossover gets me a 5 wood type carry....   I was convinced after the season I would go 5 wood, but now I am honestly leaning the other way.   I even thought about both and dropping either my 50* or 58* wedge because I am confident in my 54...

Clearly 14 clubs are not enough ....   lol.   I suppose it would be nice to have some bench strength and bring in the 5 wood and the 4 iron and know i still have the heavenwood and the TSi hybrid in reserve and in the rotation for this 200+ shot.  The wife always seems to ask how many clubs i need.....   Maybe if we could play with 15 it would be a little easier....  lol

• Driver- image.png.e24a2409101bd1ac07c78edcf8303773.png G430 Max 10K -9* -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - -:titleist-small: TSr2 15*  3 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • Fairway - image.png.48336341476630da4be4ad7cac012b8a.png- TSr2 18*  5 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

35 years ago I loved my 3 iron it would go high & sit about 210 yards with a little spin or I could hit a low hook that would run.  I told partners if I ever needed a 7 wood it was time to quit golf. These days my old back doesn’t like the reverse C finish & 3 iron is long gone. My 7wood doesn’t DQ me from golf because it’s the same loft as a 5 wood used to be - 21 degree Ping G400, more versatile than the 3 it can go high or low, move left or  right & putt from off the green.  I had the 5 iron loft lowered added a 4 hybrid to make up for the missing 3&4 punch out and keep better distance gaps.

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

I ditched the 3 and 4i for a 7w and 9w. Best decision I ever made.  Needed help for 175-205 shots.  Much easier to hit than long irons. 

Driver:  Titleist TSR2, 10 deg, HZRDUS Black 4G 60S
3W: Titlest TSR2, 16.5 deg HL, HZRDUS Black 4G 60S
7W:  Titleist TSR2, 20.25 deg, Tensei AV Blue 65 S
9W:  Titleist TSR1 , 23 deg, Tensei AV Blue 65S
5-7: Sub70 659CB  /  8-GW:  Sub70 659TC / SW-LW:  Sub70 JB Full Groove Raw 55* - 60*
Putter:  Bell Putters (Bell II 410 gram)
Ball:  Vice, Cut, whatever 3-piece is on sale