Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Forum Testing Review Recaps!

Presuming staff doesn't have yet another RU Kidding Me announcement (or two) before years end, what is the current total of forum product tests/reviews for 2023?  This has to be the new record and I'm guessing it blew the previous record clean out of the pond.

explosion-animated-gif-7.gif

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm already stoked to see what 2024's product testing has in store!

giphy.gif

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I think we ended at 43. We kinda turned the page to 2024 already as reviews finishing in 2024 we consider 2024 tests.

2024 will be a different year and we won't see as many tests. Or we may have similar, but it will be spread out more to have a less chaotic nature. 

We may have some larger companies, but we found great stride and home with many of the lesser known and up and coming brands. This is an area I want to take advantage of more once again. 

Tests will also not just be the reviews... There will be more on this soon.

Requirements are going to be more significant than ever as well. Our expectations are a lot higher and we will be asking a lot more of our testers moving forward. 

Also our testing pool was pretty darn thin at the end which has also influenced our decisions on number of future tests. As that trusted pool grows so can potential opps. As that shrinks so will tests. I am still a believer in one main test per member per season. This is not a place just for free sh**. 

More to come but it will be another great season!

You guys are awesome and come up with amazing tests!  I’m sure 2024 will be just as great with the team you have assembled!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Bottom line if a tester is not meeting expectations we will have no issues pulling the plug and having them forward the equipment to a new tester. This will be done at their expense. And trust me we are persistent with this. 

Please let me know if this occurs with any I post! 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

36 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Same here!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

44 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

7 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

Same here!

Provided the tester reads all instructions and follows the template/guidelines and communicates with us regarding deadlines there isn't much of an issue. 

Unfortunately some ppl have a really hard time reading and following basic instructions!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Provided the tester reads all instructions and follows the template/guidelines and communicates with us regarding deadlines there isn't much of an issue. 

Unfortunately some ppl have a really hard time reading and following basic instructions!

That is very apparent from some of the recent re-test postings!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

21 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Please let me know immediately if at anytime I am not meeting the mail/requirements!

Play like a champion today!

34 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Meanwhile, somewhere in an undisclosed location, justice is being served 🤣.

breakingrocks.gif&ehk=Ie2RA6yt2NOArlCoZx

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

5 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

That is very apparent from some of the recent re-test postings!

It is kinda funny to see how many don't read the instructions but it also serves as the initial weeding out process!  If they cant follow those simple instructions how likely are they to follow the template and do an adequate review?!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Just wanted to say thanks for the opportunities this year.  I had a ton of fun.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

14 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Great to have you as a tester!

So many cool opportunities this last year, so many great testers and reviews. Was a fun season!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

So, just to chime in here, I do think with what @GolfSpy_APH is saying here, we can hopefully get to something we discussed in the focus group, which was also the traction of these reviews.

By a slower drip of reviews/demanding more engaging content/better quality of the reviewer pool/just less cramming of reviewers into a shorter time frame, it can allow those reviews that really can and should be driven and shaped by questions and thoughts of those reading along the ability to get more eyes and engagement in them, which should only make them better for those taking them on and more informative for those following.

As someone who was involved in two recent reviews that seemingly went pear-shaped, one because the company shut down midway through, one due to some self inflicted issues and shortcomings, I understand both the concerns of the reader base and the mods for wanting to get this right and commend them for addressing this in such a manner and style to make sure it happens.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I know the mid team reviews the testing posts, but is there discussion to share that with the testers? Could be beneficial to basically see how you were graded on your review.

That said, I know that then puts more work load on Mods with limited time and resources. May have already been discussed as well, so tell me to kick rocks if I’m missing a point.

More than anything, we appreciate all you do to allow us the opportunity to test. And extremely sorry for the few that ruin it. 

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

1 minute ago, No3PuttLaLa said:

I know the mid team reviews the testing posts, but is there discussion to share that with the testers? Could be beneficial to basically see how you were graded on your review.

That said, I know that then puts more work load on Mods with limited time and resources. May have already been discussed as well, so tell me to kick rocks if I’m missing a point.

More than anything, we appreciate all you do to allow us the opportunity to test. And extremely sorry for the few that ruin it. 

Good question! It's been asked before, but always worth repeating.

If a tester wants to know their grade and feedback all they need to do is ask. 

We won't make them publicly available to all, but an individual tester can always ask for their own review grades.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I keep seeing these pop up on IG. Interesting product. The review has a few things that concern me. Biggest one being space to use it, and the ability to NOT create repetitive strokes. ( I know you can add breaks in it)  I would love to put something like this in my spare room though.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

42 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The staff have a lot of discussion on all of this. There are some that do a very underwhelming review and then say things along the lines of well it's a small product.

In the eyes of the forum staff there is no such thing as a small product. Each product is important to the company providing it and often the smaller ones are the ones that readers are more interesting in trying. 

Sure the big ticket tests are great, but not nearly as many are going to be buying these products. Our expectations for all reviews are high and mailing it in or just putting half effort into a smaller item tells us a lot about what kind of tester we can expect. Same goes for the opposite side... Rock a ball review and you can expect us to be calling on you again soon.

The flip side, don't expect anything anytime soon. 

Our forum reviews with these recaps get more exposure then they ever have before. The companies notice, members, staff, hq and more. 

Not only that we communicate deadlines to the OEMs. When a tester misses that (unexcused) it's noticeable.

I could go on, but the staff expect a lot and we are working hard to help improve the short comings on engagement to promote them throughout the process.

The recaps have been fantastic and all the companies we have done them for have loved them.

I think one helpful thing might be an explanation of how much time it takes to do one of these tests, particularly for forum testers who don't do this all the time.  You really can't cram for these things and do a decent test.  The test template is great for the writing portion, particularly for someone that doesn't have any writing background, so it might make sense to provide a timeline template to better help testers understand when they should probably be doing certain things with the test.  E.G.  

Step 1:  (Day 1) Read this template

Step 2:  (Day 2) Decide whether or not this template can be accomplished with your schedule over the next X months.  Accept or Decline

Step 3:  Write Intro (First week)

Step 4:  Receive the product:  Take pictures of the unboxing, write down some thoughts.

Step 5:  Etc..., etc....

It doesn't necessarily have to be this prescriptive but a good illustration of just how long it takes to write a review for someone that doesn't do it regularly, along with just how much you time you need to commit to using the product to get a feel for it might go a long way to improving quality.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

16 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Same here!  It was a ton of fun testing and getting to try something really new on the market

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

With all the responses to this topic,  I for one as being selected to do a review can relate to this topic.  When I was chosen to do the review for Galway Bay I was thinking of all those members whom had to go to the range and or course to tryout the gear, which takes alot of time, but the most important thing the members have to realize when being chosen is they need to spend time using the products and give a good review as the product cost someone money and they are not cheep! The using the product and the review time is a payment for your help. As I have used others reviews to make  a financial decision to purchase some of the products! Hope this help from the eye of one of the selected testers for 2023! Thanks again for selecting me and all you guys do to help educate and research for us.

IMG_3402.jpg

Alan Scalzi 

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

One thing I always remember was how motivated I was for my first opportunity. I put hours and hours into writing, doing data collection, updates, photos, working to get conversations going in the thread and the final review itself. That was without hand holding and or being babysat throughout.

Again there are updates to the template to help a bit more, but that also assumed testers actually read the full thing which often doesnt happen. Maybe I need a trick question at the end? Haha

Same for me.  I really wanted to do a good job.  I'm lucky that what I do for a living that makes breaking a large task (like a review) into multiple pieces over a long timeline to make sure to meet deadlines a reasonably straight forward exercise. 

I like the current template and it does an excellent job of explicitly telling the reviewer what should be in the review, how to apply scoring,  and how to structure the writing (including some timelines).  I just think that a good update to it should include some hard facts about how much time may be required to actually write it and how much time should be spent with the product (at the range, on the green, etc.) to really get a good enough feel to write it.  I don't think this will get rid of the folks who are just trying to get a free product, but I think it might help the quality and and ensure that the reviews arrive more or less on time.

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

As a first-time reviewer this year, I found the template and timeline to be very helpful guidance. Also, looking at reviews prior testers had done on various products proved to be helpful. 

Kudos to the staff (in my case @GolfSpy_APH) for scheduling a pre-test call, which I found very helpful, and PM access to staff, fellow testers and company reps during the testing process. It was a terrific experience and I hope readers, particularly those over 60, found my comments helpful.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Seven DB with Garsen Max grip or OG 2-Ball with Super Stroke grip

Other: Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter.