Fitting for a super high handicap

NorthTXGolf

So I took several years off from the game due to having kids, work, life etc... 

Went with a buddy who invited me out and I used his extra set last week. And my swing for the most part is atrocious right now lol. 

But I want to get back into it. I need to buy a new set of clubs and I'm thinking because I have access to the PXG heroes' program and the fitting basically cost nothing I may go do it. That being said my swing is very inconsistent right now.

Just curious as to you guys thoughts?

Regardless of how you see feeling a fitting of some sort will help. Maybe the fitter is able to explain more what you're doing or what will fit. It's so easy to say when my swing is X I will do a fitting, but using poorly fit equipment leads to other changes which influence the swing in a negative manner.

I would do the fitting, the fitter should be able to pick out your better swings with you to get you into the best possible kit to help you improve your game!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Peoples swings are more consistent than they believe. The perception of inconsistency comes from the result of the shot, long, short, right, left. Contact all of the face.

You are making the exact same swing movement each time but what changes is the ability to make the same compensation each swing, so you end up with inconsistent results not an inconsistent swing.

a good fitter understands this and can you you to your swing. Also high handicaps benefit more from a fitting than a low handicap because the low handicap can make better and quicker adjustments to equipment that’s not fit for them.

Having clubs that are fit to your swing will let the club work with you rather than fight the club to achieve the shot you are trying to hit

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am also a high handicap golfer, and recently did the PXG fitting. I would totally recommend it, especially at the discount. At the very least you get to hit on a nice Trackman setup for 2hrs.

I did struggle to hit irons during my fitting, but it gave me a jumping off point for other irons to demo later. Also helped me find a better shaft for my current driver that I ended up switching to.

Driver : :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (45")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Utility: :Sub70:699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
Irons: :titleist-small:T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
Putter: :cobra-small:King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen:Quad Tour Taper grip
Bag: :cobra-small:Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
Push Cart: :BagBoy:Nitron, Black/Red
Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I'm a high handicapper and went to a fitter for my irons and I really enjoyed it.  I really enjoyed trying different clubs and shafts, and believe I benefited from the testing and measurements of shaft, loft, lie, etc.  And most game improvement clubs fit to you can still be played as your swing improves and becomes more consistent (although I think most golfers at any HC level think they still struggle with consistency).

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

11 hours ago, NorthTXGolf said:

So I took several years off from the game due to having kids, work, life etc... 

Went with a buddy who invited me out and I used his extra set last week. And my swing for the most part is atrocious right now lol. 

But I want to get back into it. I need to buy a new set of clubs and I'm thinking because I have access to the PXG heroes' program and the fitting basically cost nothing I may go do it. That being said my swing is very inconsistent right now.

Just curious as to you guys thoughts?

I would definitely say you should go for the fitting. I've never had a bad experience with PXG and their fitters are very knowledgeable and patient and will do whatever they can to help not only fit you for clubs but also give assistance if they see something in your swing that might be a quick fix at that moment to help.

As Jamie mentioned, playing with ill-fitted clubs can absolutely be a detriment to your progress and improvement even at this early stage of your swing development.

The key for me here, be open and honest with the fitter about your game at the very beginning. That will really help them zero in on better fitting options right away verses having to waste a bunch of swings at the beginning. You'll be glad you did.

So go for it! And find a quality swing coach locally and get to work on that consistency thing. 🙂

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I am a high handicapper and got fitted by PXG this past spring. It has really helped my golf game BUT I had been taking lessons for at least a 4 months to try to change some basic swing flaws. I believe the lessons are the reason I am swing the club better and the equipment is helping with set-up, distance and accuracy.

I recommend that you take some lessons especially with a teacher who has access to shot flight data-swing path information, launch angle, dispersion, distance, etc. Initially, this will inform you of what your swing characteristics are.  From there you can work on what, if anything, needs to be changed. If you need clubs buy a used set knowing that you are only going to use them for a few months. Once you have worked on the changes and feel comfortable repeating them, then I would go get fitted by someone who has access to more than PXG. Purchasing fitted clubs is expensive and you should be able to play them for ten years. So be a bit patient, be smart, gather your data and work on your swing changes, if there are any to make.

I signed on with golftec and then they used that data from lessons with a fitter to select my clubs, shafts, lie angle etc.  So I agree. Also as you age you will need to adjust - trust me

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

Thanks for the replies guys. Going to go to the fitting and see. I’m still fairly young (32) and a bigger guy who played college baseball. Distance is usually never my problem it’s purely putting good strikes on the ball. 

I plan on getting this fitting and also getting some lessons. 

thanks!

1 hour ago, GAS said:

If you need clubs buy a used set knowing that you are only going to use them for a few months. Once you have worked on the changes and feel comfortable repeating them, then I would go get fitted by someone who has access to more than PXG.

Fittings and lessons don’t have to be mutually exclusive and really should be done together for those planning to take lessons or taking them. This way the fitter knows what the instructor is trying to get the student to do and the setup will compliment current and future swings.

Also buying used clubs that aren’t fit can make the lesson processes more difficult because the golfer will develop a swing that’s built around incorrectly suited clubs. The likelihood of lessons impacting the fitter club is actually not as high as people think. I personally have the same specs now as low handicap as I did as a high handicap to include shafts

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, NorthTXGolf said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Going to go to the fitting and see. I’m still fairly young (32) and a bigger guy who played college baseball. Distance is usually never my problem it’s purely putting good strikes on the ball. 

I plan on getting this fitting and also getting some lessons. 

thanks!

And going for the fitting doesn't mean you have to buy anything. You'll have your data from the fitting and decide (maybe with your swing coach) if buying some fit clubs now makes sense or if waiting for a few lessons, then buying. You have options, which is the good thing.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

It depends why you are getting bad results. 

I am a high handicapper (19) but naturally quite strong so have a very robust transition. When I started, I had a cheap package set which really did not help as the face of the club was all over the place, even on comparatively consistent swings due to the flexibility in the shaft. Got a little help from a teaching pro friend who recommended going to a stiff shaft. Instantly dropped handicap from around 30 to low 20s.

Had a few lessons now and now my swing is much better, I got fitted into a Modus 3 stiff in my irons and a hzrdous black for woods, but crucially I needed the 120g shafts rather than the lighter stiff shafts due to my tendency to transition very quickly. 

Fully recommend getting a couple of lessons first and get you settled on your swing then go for the fitting.