Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Sunglasses and Issues with Polarized?

J.B.

Needing some clarification here from those that might be better informed regarding sunglasses specific to golf. When researching previously, I had understood that: "Polarization can distort vision and affect depth perception. It may also change the way you track the ball and induce eye strain when you're tilting your head back and forth."

The basic explanation was that the technology that makes polarized glasses effective actually creates issues that distort the way you see the ball and can actually mess with your game. Notwithstanding, I seem to see countless sunglasses marketed as "golf sunglasses" which have polarized lenses. What gives? Was I misinformed or is there something else at play here that needs better understanding when making decisions regarding sunglasses on the course? Thanks for any guidance and/or suggestions you might have for me. Thanks!

Driver /Fairway Woods: Taylormade

Hybrid: Cobra

Irons: Taylormade

Wedges: Vokey

Putter: Odyssey

There are benefits to polarized sunglasses for golf. Reduced glare, they help with eye fatigue and help see your surroundings better. They are real good For courses that have water hazards because of the glare reduction which is to help with that off object like water.

Polarized with uv protection are the best option. I never had any issues with Oakley polarized lenses. I wore flak jacket with polarized lenses before switching to prizm golf

as for issues with golf it’s mostly related to depth perception while putting.

I have switched to the Oakley prizm golf lenses as have a few others I play with. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I play with Oakley Prizm Polarized in the dark tungsten color and I'll never switch to anything else. I can almost not play golf without sunglasses. I've also read about the depth perception issues, but I've never had issues. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

My only problem w polarized lenses is that I can’t see/read a screen on a phone. After trying for a season that was a deal breaker.  …and not just for golf. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I used to use slip on over my glasses but as @WaffleHouseTour mentioned, I found the hassles of trying to read my GPS just wasn't worth it. I used a light brown shade which did seem to help in lower light situations...like da woods.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 9/23/2023 at 3:44 AM, J.B. said:

Needing some clarification here from those that might be better informed regarding sunglasses specific to golf. When researching previously, I had understood that: "Polarization can distort vision and affect depth perception. It may also change the way you track the ball and induce eye strain when you're tilting your head back and forth."

The basic explanation was that the technology that makes polarized glasses effective actually creates issues that distort the way you see the ball and can actually mess with your game. Notwithstanding, I seem to see countless sunglasses marketed as "golf sunglasses" which have polarized lenses. What gives? Was I misinformed or is there something else at play here that needs better understanding when making decisions regarding sunglasses on the course? Thanks for any guidance and/or suggestions you might have for me. Thanks!

They can also help track the ball in the air. The course I play, mornings the first first 3 holes are directly into the sun and without polarized sunglasses it is impossible to track. Which is a bummer, however I either do one of two things with sun glasses. Keep them on the whole time no matter what, or use them to watch tee shots on those 3 holes and then ditch them. There is a difference and you can get different strengths, for some people like Fowler they actually helped his game immensely. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I can’t stand to be outside without sunglasses as it hurts my eyes too much so always play with them. Polarized or not doesn’t make much difference for me. What does make a difference is quality glasses or not. With something like Oakley or Ray Bans I am good. But cheap sunglasses lenses pretty much always distort things for me and make my eyes hurt in any situation not just golf. I might be more sensitive to it than most but I can notice it right away when I put them on. I believe the thought of sunglasses causing depth perception issues mainly comes from using cheap sunglasses. I understand not wanting to spend $100 plus on sunglasses but with how sensitive my eyes are to the distortion of cheap lenses and sun light I have just always had to get more expensive sunglasses so I guess I am just used it it. But I also pay close attention to them and they last me years. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

I used to work for Oakley for 6 or so years. In that time I have acquired about 15 different pairs of sunglasses. I have about 3-4 that I use for golf. As other have said polarization is meant to reduce glare and the example I always have was when the sun was setting over the ocean or lake and that beam of light on top of the water that is hard to look at would be greatly reduced. 

Polarization is not for everyone though depending on your vision or if you have certain conditions. I can distort certain screens but most of the newer prizm polarized lenses from oakley don’t have a huge effect on newer phones. 

I mainly use the Oakley Prizm Golf lens. It’s a lighter tint but made to filter out blues/reds/oranges and filter in greens/whites (most of the colors on the golf course that are important). I found the to be very effective in bright and sunny days as well as partly cloudy days. Depending on your sensitivity to light will determine how dark you need to go.

All in all if you want a good do all pair of sunglasses for driving/golf/everyday use go polarized. If these are just for golf, polarized is not needed and it’ll save you a couple bucks

Edited by Swood1994

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

I have tried to contact Oakley about making a pair of there golf specific sunglasses with my prescription.  I’ve messaged them twice, no answer back either time.  My prescription won’t fit when I try to order them online.  I’m hoping there may be a way to special order a pair.  Is anyone familiar with that?

🙃

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

They can also help track the ball in the air. The course I play, mornings the first first 3 holes are directly into the sun and without polarized sunglasses it is impossible to track. Which is a bummer, however I either do one of two things with sun glasses. Keep them on the whole time no matter what, or use them to watch tee shots on those 3 holes and then ditch them. There is a difference and you can get different strengths, for some people like Fowler they actually helped his game immensely. 

Rickies are prescription so it’s a double win for him. Eye protection and helps with vision

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Oakley with the golf prizm lenses FTW

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Wow, thanks to each of you for your prompt responses and helpful insights. What an amazing group to tap into for these types of questions. The collective experiences and resources of MGS and the MGS community is super helpful so again thanks for your willingness to share.

@Swood1994 - cool to know that you were one on the inside at Oakley for several years. Quick follow-up question for you: You mentioned having firsthand experience with MULTIPLE different glasses and lens options and have ultimately gravitated to mainly the Oakley Prizm Golf lens. There seems to be a lot of focus recently on the Oakley Prizm DARK Golf lens as well. Assuming you have also tried that, I am wondering on your personal opinions on those two Oakley options and what I assume you prefer over the DARK option.

Thanks again for everyone's helpful insights!

Assuming you have also tried the Oakley Prizm DARK Golf Lens, I am wondering on your personal opinions on how those compared to the OG Prizm Golf Lens. What pushed you ultimately to the OG version rather than the Dark version?

Supposedly polarized lenses, since they cut out reflected light, prevent you from seeing subtle reflections on the grain of the grass on the greens.

I play better without sunglasses, but like others have said, when it's bright outside it hurts my eyes a bit. I've been using Torch sunglasses... the DNA with the golf lens. They're pretty similar to the Prizm. Non-polarized. Not real dark but they greatly reduce eye fatigue.

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

As a V.A. Patient, I get my prescription and glasses from the VA. Although I have Transition lenses, I also have a pair of Rx (progressive) sunglasses with brown lenses and Polaroid lenses. I keep them in my golf bag and only use them playing golf. My Rx is progressive so I must turn my head to get clear vision. I usually play early(7:30-8:00) so there is reflection off the wet grass to deal with as well as direct sun on a few holes. I don’t play without them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I wear a pair of Roka Falcon aviators that I do pretty much everything in. The polarization is sharp, and they take a beating on and off the course. Highly recommend.

It won't let me post a link to them, but I have the gunmetal frames and ranger polarized lenses.

They typically do sales on these and you can get a pair for under $250 most of the time in those events.

Driver: PING G430LST; Fujikura Ventus Red 6X; 9*

3 Wood: Titleist TSR3; Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X; 15*

Driving Iron: PXG 0311X Gen5; Fujikura Ventus HB Blue; 17*

4-PW: PXG 0317 ST; TT Dynamic Gold 120 X; 1.5* Strong, 1 Up

50/56/60: Vokey SM9; TT Dynamic Gold Tour X

Putter: Searching in the Wilderness 💀 L.A.B. Mezz. 1 Max Broom inbound

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 2023/currently testing Bridgestone Tour BX

Oakley Golf Prizm for me.  Tried others and either they let light in around the outside which bothers me, or cheap ones seam to distort.  My eyes are more sensitive now and unless it’s raining I play with my Oakleys. 

Driver Ping 410+ w/  TENSI orange 60 shaft stiff

Ping 3W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 5W 425 TENSI orange shaft stiff

Ping 4 Hybrid orange shaft stiff

Taylormade 790 5 -A irons w/ Aerotech Steelfiber I 95 stiff shafts

Titliest Wedges  SM7 - 54.14 F grind, 58.10 S grind 

Ping Ketcsh Putter

Arccos Sensors

Spoiler

When I had my LASIK surgery my doctor told me to start wearing sunglasses with UV protection whenever outside. (Somewhat ironically, having worn polycarbonate lenses in my glasses for decades my eyes were protected because those lenses filter out all UV radiation.) After a number of failures, I settled on shooter sunglasses because they do not distort vision and have UV as well as polarization. I found dark lenses made green reading impossible. Yes, it is easy enough to just take them off when on the green, but with the ones I have now (light amber tinted) I can read the greens as well as I can without them (greens reading is always a challenge for me). I keep mine in a hard case in my golf bag. If shooter sunglasses are good enough for target shooting they are absolutely good enough for my golf game.

Full PXG + Evnroll

I've had similar issues as @WaffleHouseTour in reading the screen of my older iPhone (which is always kept in an OttorBox with screen protector which I know adds to the problem).  And, like @fozcycle I wear progressive lenses (but have not made the move to a golf-specific tinted lens).  So, anyone have suggestions for clip on lenses that make screens easier to read and might be less expensive/longer lasting that a pair of prescription sunglasses?

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

15 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

I've had similar issues as @WaffleHouseTour in reading the screen of my older iPhone (which is always kept in an OttorBox with screen protector which I know adds to the problem).  And, like @fozcycle I wear progressive lenses (but have not made the move to a golf-specific tinted lens).  So, anyone have suggestions for clip on lenses that make screens easier to read and might be less expensive/longer lasting that a pair of prescription sunglasses?

My last pair of rx sunglasses lasted me 10 years.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've worn prescription Rayban Predator sunglasses for about 10 years.  In them I've had progressive grey polarized lenses with UV protection.  Playing 150 plus rounds a year here in Key West, you need eye protection from the sun.  I picked the Predators because they had the maximum wrap around that they could fit my prescription in.  The downside is that when folded the temple tips rub against the inside of the lenses. 

Overall, I've had no problem with either the progressive lenses (after 20 years, they just seem natural) or the polarized lenses.  I can see the Shot Scope H4 screen clearly without removing the glasses.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

REKS are good and Oakley Prizm are better.  As othrs say polariz is for water, otherwise, skip.  Color choice depends: if you want to see better in the air, in sun or under cloudy, or if you want to read greens.  No glass is as good as bare eyes for reading green, but Prizm is probably closest.  If you get Rx, go to a quality crafter, not a mass maker like wlmrt, according to my eye doc.  Then you can pick and choose what features you want.  Tell the optician you golf, and take it from there.

I think those multi color balls are easiest to follow in the air if that is an issue.  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

On 9/22/2023 at 9:04 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are benefits to polarized sunglasses for golf. Reduced glare, they help with eye fatigue and help see your surroundings better. They are real good For courses that have water hazards because of the glare reduction which is to help with that off object like water.

Polarized with uv protection are the best option. I never had any issues with Oakley polarized lenses. I wore flak jacket with polarized lenses before switching to prizm golf

as for issues with golf it’s mostly related to depth perception while putting.

I have switched to the Oakley prizm golf lenses as have a few others I play with. 

I also wear the Oakley Prizm Polarized lenses. They have a rose tint to the lenses, but it doesn't distort the colors or view at all.   I haven't had any issues following the ball or reading puts at all.  My dad is on his 3rd pair of these w/ prescription lenses (in a darker gray color).  He's only on the 3rd pair because he had a big prescription change from 1-2 and then lost the 2nd pair because he didn't do what I recommended and put the case w/ his car keys and failed to get them off the cart.  He won't wear anything else for golf, and he's more of a golf nut than I am.  I have a pair of the REKS glasses, and they aren't any better or worse than the Oakleys for vision, but aren't as comfortable as the Oakleys and definitely don't look as good.

Edited by ctg44
  • Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

Thanks MGS community. Although I wasn’t necessarily planning on any specific purchase when initially raising the question, positive feedback from several in this thread re: Oakley Prizm Golf lenses captured my interest. I signed up as a MVP Member (for free) on Oakley website, giving me $20 credit which I used on some Prizm Golf Lenses.
Wow! First time I have ever worn sunglasses for an entire 18 holes and now don’t think I can ever golf without them! Truly amazing to me. Golfed on a mountain course surrounded by peak of Fall leaves that just POPPED with color through these lenses in addition to all the benefits for my golf game. Honestly didn’t want to take them off for the drive home. Everything suddenly appeared so drab without them. Apparently there is something to seeing the world through rose colored glasses 😀

(Note: I tried on both Prizm Golf and Prizm Dark Golf and opted for the Dark Golf even though going into it I was certain I’d walk out with the lighter version. Dark seemed to fit my preference better for typical sun and conditions where I typically golf.) I. Ant recommend Oakley Prizm highly enough! Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Just read about the golf specific sunglasses that rose zhang and Phil Mickelsons wear.  Pretty cool, but pretty expensive.  They do come in prescription. Prescription pairs seem to be almost double the price.  The company is called uswinggolfeyeware. 

https://www.uswingeyewear.com/Prescript-Uswing-Sunglasses-below-Diopters-Astigmatism-8-0-p23956873.html

I know Mygolfspy did a comparison write up against much cheaper sunglasses.  Does anyone else have any experience with this brand?  I’m practically blind in one of my eyes, I’m always looking for something to help out.  

Oakley doesn’t make there golf specific lenses in my prescription.

IMG_2958.png

Edited by Owengeorge13

🙃